L.E.D. Argument Thread For Dummies:)

• Thread starter 1diesel1
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Goblinkiller

Goblinkiller

Sounds good. I have seen a lot of packed tents on here and there. I think 4 in 4x4 is packed enough. Depends on size yes.
I agree with you on having room to grow,

Guess the shiskaberry is not too big

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Sounds good. I have seen a lot of packed tents on here and there. I think 4 in 4x4 is packed enough. Depends on size yes.
I agree with you on having room to grow,

Guess the shiskaberry is not too big
My 2 shiskaberries are roughly 12" tall. I'll go take some pictures ... I'll edit them in shortly
20210319 152646

This shiskaberry is next to an early skunk.

20210319 152600

There is also an early skunk in early flower behind the Shiskaberry in this tent. I'll be checking the difference between the early skunks too.

Last edited:
PiffinOut

PiffinOut

Alright boys. figured I wouldnt go and pollute the forum with another thread so here I am taking a shot at my old favorite thread.. the one for dummies. In any case the tri state is legalized and its soon time to consider not only growing for horticulture but also rec use of plants.
Im looking at building a COB active cooling setup for a 4x4,
8-12 COBs- Luminus CXM 22- debating going for 3rd gen generic, 3rd gene horticulture or 4th gen. is the price difference warranted?
8-12 Mechatronix Ultra Active Cooling fans
12 Ideal Holders (to power 4 or more in a row)
4 Meanwell APV 12-12 (for the fans)

I would prefer to have the CXMS whichever ones I pick, running 4 per driver with the drivers dimmable. I would also like for the fanspeed to match either the heat or the output from the light dimmer. Im not an electrician by any means so I figured Id post here, Ive been digging through the web but havent come up with much so far. Any help would be appreciated.

If anything, to atleast get me started, which HLG driver(s) do you recommend for wiring 4 CXM 22s together in a row.

Cheers,
F-elon Musk

Last edited:
PiffinOut

PiffinOut

It's much more complicated than just "blurples are bad". My opinion on them is that they have their uses but I wouldn't use them as my main source of light. The first thing to consider is the effect of the spectrum itself. Blue and red light are the most photosynthetically active spectrums of light meaning they produce the most growth per umol. Red is a bit better but causes elongated internodes. The added blue can counter the red and cause optimal internodes. The added green in full spectrum lights has a much smaller effect on growth as compared to red and blue. It does significantly help the grower identify discoloration on plants which in my opinion isn't too important because you can just use a flashlight or the flash on your phone once a day instead.

Apart from spectrum, there is also efficiency. Since humans prefer full spectrum light, it is the most studied and manufactured spectrum of diode. This means that a lot more research goes into creating the best diode for humans than the best diode for plants. This research has resulted in incredible advancements in white diodes making them extremely efficient. Blue and purple diodes on the other hand don't get a nearly as much research done into them resulting in a lack of quality/efficiency. Having an efficient LED is important because it helps the grower maintain lower temperatures, produces more light and lasts longer.

To answer your question about different types of LEDs, I'm not sure what you mean but I'll answer that to my best ability.

LED fixtrues are made up of tens, hundreds or thousands of individual diodes. The three main configurations of the LEDs at the moment are QBs (quantum boards), COBs and strips. A simplification of the benefits and weaknesses of each is that the closer together the diodes are, the cheaper they are to buy, but the more heat they share making them run less efficiently which causes more heat and less light. This heat can be combatted by using bigger/better heat sinks and/or fans.

A while ago, I had the same questions as you so I made a thread about it and I think you will find the answers to every light question you can think of there.

I suppose this explains why the CXM 22 HM chips cost so much even though they are 3rd gen chips. Wonder if they are worth the cost at this point though.

MilkyTrichomes

MilkyTrichomes

hlg is assembled here and soon to be manufactured here as well i read.
HLG has great products! Hardly anything we use is made in the USA anymore. It’s great to hear HLG will be made in the USA. Is a Tesla better than a 1995 Ford? They both will get ya there. Things change, if you had told me years ago EVs would be overtaking the auto industry I’d of thought you crazy but here we are. EVs and LEDs are will find customers, some sooner than others. If they are bogus sells gimmicks the market will weed them out but my $ is on technology!

MilkyTrichomes

MilkyTrichomes

I am new here, I saw this post about HLG and had to reply to it. First of all a great company and great American products hands down. I have been buying HLG Lighting for almost 5 years now. It was one of my first light that I bought and instantly fell in love with them. I have bought other lights from different company before and wasn’t to happy about the quality of the product not bright enough, looking cheap but wasn’t cheap out of pocket and didn’t last long at all. To end this tread I would say buy HLG and only HLG you will definitely be a HLG lifer as me.👊
+1

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

HLG has great products! Hardly anything we use is made in the USA anymore. It’s great to hear HLG will be made in the USA. Is a Tesla better than a 1995 Ford? They both will get ya there. Things change, if you had told me years ago EVs would be overtaking the auto industry I’d of thought you crazy but here we are. EVs and LEDs are will find customers, some sooner than others. If they are bogus sells gimmicks the market will weed them out but my $ is on technology!

There were 1 million electric cars on the road in the US in 2018 and 276 million cars registered in 2019. So about 0.4% of vehicles in the US are electric. I wouldn't call that overtaking, but LEDs are definitely overtaking the grow industry a lot quicker.

I haven't used LED yet, but I hope to build a grow op by 2023 with all LED's, stacked, so I can get twice as much grow space with the same square footage. Can't really do that with HID. Also, cooling would be less so overall I think the high quality, bar style LED's are better, especially in warm-hot climates (Im in one of the hottest and the most humid state in the US), just gotta deal with the up front cost.

MilkyTrichomes

MilkyTrichomes

There were 1 million electric cars on the road in the US in 2018 and 276 million cars registered in 2019. So about 0.4% of vehicles in the US are electric. I wouldn't call that overtaking, but LEDs are definitely overtaking the grow industry a lot quicker.

I haven't used LED yet, but I hope to build a grow op by 2023 with all LED's, stacked, so I can get twice as much grow space with the same square footage. Can't really do that with HID. Also, cooling would be less so overall I think the high quality, bar style LED's are better, especially in warm-hot climates (Im in one of the hottest and the most humid state in the US), just gotta deal with the up front cost.
I’m not being argumentative but there was a time when there were very few automobiles, mostly horse n buggies. Where would we be if we had stopped at horses? We couldn’t then and we won’t stop with EVs and LEDs. Bitcoin anyone?
I’m open to new ideas and tech.

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

I’m not being argumentative but there was a time when there were very few automobiles, mostly horse n buggies. Where would we be if we had stopped at horses? We couldn’t then and we won’t stop with EVs and LEDs. Bitcoin anyone?
I’m open to new ideas and tech.

I'm not arguing either bro, I just don't think it's a close comparison right now. Maybe one day electric vehicles will be the majority on the road like LED's are in the grow room right now. 👍

I believe technology will get us to that point one day.

lvstealth

lvstealth

Supporter
combine lighting and radar. more lights with control of each, each carrying info to and from the lighting ... i think about these things

KingTubby

KingTubby

I own 3 vehicles; one gas, one diesel, one electric. I drive the EV 95% of the time.

I own HPS, MH, CMH, and LED lights. I run LED 75% of the time, plus CMH 25%. HPS sits on the shelf. Welcome to the brave new world. You are late to the party.

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

I own 3 vehicles; one gas, one diesel, one electric. I drive the EV 95% of the time.

I own HPS, MH, CMH, and LED lights. I run LED 75% of the time, plus CMH 25%. HPS sits on the shelf. Welcome to the brave new world. You are late to the party.

You are part of the 0.4% of vehicles that are electric, good for you. Late to what party?? Because I haven't used an LED light? I didn't say anything negative about LED's.

And people were pulling 3-4 pounds per light with HPS and RDWC, back in 2011, that is well known. Seems LED is late to the party, finally getting numbers close to HPS, it's about time.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

You are part of the 0.4% of vehicles that are electric, good for you. Late to what party?? Because I haven't used an LED light? I didn't say anything negative about LED's.

And people were pulling 3-4 pounds per light with HPS and RDWC, back in 2011, that is well known. Seems LED is late to the party, finally getting numbers close to HPS, it's about time.

seems many forget led only just recently matched de hps with 700 watt plus huge bar lights. 4x the money and 4 feet square huge heavy lamp.

so much for the years of previous claims. We should just forget the manufacturers lied all those other times. ;-)

stoneyluv

stoneyluv

i can't believe i didn't see this thread earlier!!!! i love me some good shit talkin!!!

I don't have the data, experience, or proof about any of this i saw it all on facebook!!!

two things are lies and one is true.... can you guess which is true???

HID (hps/mh) lights are old and outdated, no new tech just the same old same old!!!
LED is not worth using yet, just not there and a long way off!!
ceramic bulbs is where its at people!!!!

one true thing is, i never would sign up for social media.... f@%k facebook!!!

...... alright, let me have it!!!!

🏴‍☠️

Top Bottom