La Confidential Grow

• Thread starter jackwhite
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
JMcG

JMcG

Thanks for the input everyone!
It has to have something to do with how far along they are in the cycle. Here's what I see:
A) plants are healthy up to around week five or so. Then things start showing up like some tip burn and the start of canoeing. Plants in the same room and conditions less than five weeks look fine, but I am still not confident in my own ability to diagnose a deficiency vs a toxicity. The more I learn the more many of these symptoms look similar:sweating:. I will say, my plants look pretty dark green by then... maybe too green... I think I am over feeding.
B) I keep the tops about 24" away from the exposed 600 hps bulbs. I have reflective hoods but not enclosed, I need the heat for the room. Plants look great but as they get taller and reach week five they start looking stressed. I measured last night and some buds were within 20" of the bulbs and the canoeing was pretty bad, but the leaves lower down and even shaded also were affected. Overall it effects the upper part of the plants the worst, but it does reach down into the lower growth too.
C) I am just about to chop and the leaves up high that are practically closed from conoeing are brittle and still pretty green. I will flush for seven days to make sure I account for the over fertilization...

jackwhite

jackwhite

Thanks for the input everyone!
It has to have something to do with how far along they are in the cycle. Here's what I see:
A) plants are healthy up to around week five or so. Then things start showing up like some tip burn and the start of canoeing. Plants in the same room and conditions less than five weeks look fine, but I am still not confident in my own ability to diagnose a deficiency vs a toxicity. The more I learn the more many of these symptoms look similar:sweating:. I will say, my plants look pretty dark green by then... maybe too green... I think I am over feeding.
B) I keep the tops about 24" away from the exposed 600 hps bulbs. I have reflective hoods but not enclosed, I need the heat for the room. Plants look great but as they get taller and reach week five they start looking stressed. I measured last night and some buds were within 20" of the bulbs and the canoeing was pretty bad, but the leaves lower down and even shaded also were affected. Overall it effects the upper part of the plants the worst, but it does reach down into the lower growth too.
C) I am just about to chop and the leaves up high that are practically closed from conoeing are brittle and still pretty green. I will flush for seven days to make sure I account for the over fertilization...
Sounds like To close to the light(some strains are sensitive vs strains who love being up close & personal to the light) & do you do mid grow flush? flushing end of stretch and then week 6 will help with salt build up inthe roots so when you hit them with the next feeding the soak it all up.

JMcG

JMcG

IMG 4546
IMG 4547
IMG 4552
IMG 4550
Pictures for you of LAC at 65 days!

JMcG

JMcG

Not the best photos, but not really my strong point!
Notice the leaves high and low that are affected. Funny, the canoeing is so bad on some leaves that the underside is getting light and actually frosting up along the edges.
Also, are those the " fox tails " that I hear about crowning most of the buds? Little stacks of calyxes that only formed near the end of the cycle.
Is that caused by heat stress? Too close to bulbs or light stress? Or have I gotten lazy about tapering my nutes towards the end and they are still trying to bud instead of ripen?

JMcG

JMcG

Sounds like To close to the light(some strains are sensitive vs strains who love being up close & personal to the light) & do you do mid grow flush? flushing end of stretch and then week 6 will help with salt build up inthe roots so when you hit them with the next feeding the soak it all up.
I do flush often. Sometimes it's two weeks, sometime ten days or less. I am getting the hang of the lower nutes in UC. Each run is getter than the last, but I still feel like I am over feeding overall.

JMcG

JMcG

I will say though, that trying to nail down the low nutes program has been difficult. Some symptoms of deficiency look like toxicity so I get in this crazy cycle of trying to go slow, low and easy with the strength of my solution only to see what looks like a deficiency of one but maybe a toxicity of another. I raise thing up and then I get burn or the deficiency starts looking like over feeding after all.
This run went pretty well altogether, my nutes started around 240 ppm (500 scale) and ended around 300. GH nutes.
I have used GH FOR FREAKIN EVER! Like twenty years.... maybe I need to broaden my horizons ( event horizons!) and try something new. Like the sound of cutting edge.

jackwhite

jackwhite

I will say though, that trying to nail down the low nutes program has been difficult. Some symptoms of deficiency look like toxicity so I get in this crazy cycle of trying to go slow, low and easy with the strength of my solution only to see what looks like a deficiency of one but maybe a toxicity of another. I raise thing up and then I get burn or the deficiency starts looking like over feeding after all.
This run went pretty well altogether, my nutes started around 240 ppm (500 scale) and ended around 300. GH nutes.
I have used GH FOR FREAKIN EVER! Like twenty years.... maybe I need to broaden my horizons ( event horizons!) and try something new. Like the sound of cutting edge.
Do you monitor your ph? ph fluctuations will cause issues

JMcG

JMcG

Do you monitor your ph? ph fluctuations will cause issues
Definitely. But I try not to chase it too much with up or down, just try to keep it in the sweet spot with proper feeding. I allow for some swing too...
This is where I get confused tho... I know rising ppm and ph indicates too high of concentrations. And in my grow it looks like I am usually over feeding, however often times my ph drops slightly lower than I like ( only into 5.4 or so but still...) , so I try to raise the nutes a bit... then tip burn or worse shows up.

JMcG

JMcG

Looks good!
I really need a better scope... what are you using there?
Mine is one of the tiny three inch version that only works if I mash it onto the surface of the plant and then try to zoom and focus... kinda a PITA.

jackwhite

jackwhite

They look great,nice bulk and lots of sugat. I'm no expert but pretty sure that's not La. Here's the LA I'm familiar with. The nugs are the densest ever,have a light coffee smell of kush.
buddy gave me clones, he thinks the plant "reverted" back to original mother.

LeeMcGee

LeeMcGee

Mine was gifted by a friend of DNA back in 09 or earlier? Wish I still had it, but think I can still find it. I'd say it wasn't a big producer but the density made up for it. Never ending bowls...just when you think it's done, still more left to light.

jackwhite

jackwhite

Mine was gifted by a friend of DNA back in 09 or earlier? Wish I still had it, but think I can still find it. I'd say it wasn't a big producer but the density made up for it. Never ending bowls...just when you think it's done, still more left to light.
would you know what would make my plant look so diff from my friends?
he swears its the same la. his look night & day different in color and size. I will say these buds are sticky as fuk. i cut a few and wuick dried in the micrwave & iwasnt expecting anything and it hit hard. i was surprised and extremely blasted

LeeMcGee

LeeMcGee

would you know what would make my plant look so diff from my friends?
he swears its the same la. his look night & day different in color and size. I will say these buds are sticky as fuk. i cut a few and wuick dried in the micrwave & iwasnt expecting anything and it hit hard. i was surprised and extremely blasted
I don't see how it can be the same. Looks great either way, but the leaves are long and skinny, the bud much taller and more sativa like than the La. La is short and dense with dark wide leaves, ime. Lots of experts here can chime in and probably enlighten you better than me.
I love it when you get that nice surprise of unexpected "bam" when you think..this will just be ok. Enjoy!

jackwhite

jackwhite

I don't see how it can be the same. Looks great either way, but the leaves are long and skinny, the bud much taller and more sativa like than the La. La is short and dense with dark wide leaves, ime. Lots of experts here can chime in and probably enlighten you better than me.
I love it when you get that nice surprise of unexpected "bam" when you think..this will just be ok. Enjoy!
true. im just disappointed how small the nugs are but rock hard

JMcG

JMcG

Yeah, mine came from DNA seeds I bought in '10 or "11 and kept in a cool dark spot for years. Grew one that was a different pheno right away and she was gorgeous, but something I did robbed her of potential. Sat on the seeds til last year and decide to try them again in this UC set up. This go round she is super chunky and looking sticky !

Latest posts

Top Bottom