Lack of Vertical Integration Will Kill the Basement Grower

• Thread starter Bud Spleefman
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
squiggly

squiggly

Those "SOME" people will be the ones with lower quality and common strains

Good strains and excellent growing skills/quality are too far spread to fit into a niche market still. There is GOING to be a downsizing if this type of market economy takes over and it will effect at least one person on this board, and in my best estimation I'd have to guess that it will effect more than a few. That's just a fact, take it or leave it.

M

mr duder

Good strains and excellent growing skills/quality are too far spread to fit into a niche market still. There is GOING to be a downsizing if this type of market economy takes over and it will effect at least one person on this board, and in my best estimation I'd have to guess that it will effect more than a few. That's just a fact, take it or leave it.
It's funny because you always seem to look for the worst case scenario. When in fact the colorado model actually makes it harder for big buisness to come in and immediately kick the little guys out. Ya I highly doubt that someone with 2 or 3 lights will be able to compete in this kinda market. But the medical shops that already have a a reputation will have no issues unloading all of their product. And a year later who's going to want to compete with them? So yes times they are a changing but the mom and pops shops that evolve with this thing will be just fine. And the idiots will get put out of business. Again we still arrest 750,000 people a year for possesion. Until that changes we are from an open or free market.

squiggly

squiggly

It's funny because you always seem to look for the worst case scenario.

I suggest that people plan for the worst case scenario.

This is known as business planning. Even if you don't see it this way, or want it to, that is what growing and selling marijuana is about to become--a business.

Right now, as you suggest, it is a pseudo business due to the federal laws and lack of acceptance throughout the country. When this shit becomes country wide--and it will (my state just passed medical!)--shit is going to change.

When that happens it will be the smart people who plan for the worst while hoping for the best who make it through the shitstorm. That's business for you, its not negativity.

Thinking everything is honkey dorey and expecting shit to work out for you all the time is an exceedingly good way to get yourself blindsided. It will work until it doesn't, as the famous adage goes.

ttystikk

ttystikk

I have no way of knowing that.

My gut tells me less than 10 years--my brain tells me less than 25. Our country moves slow and has bigger things to worry about right now like how we should govern ourselves (the way we're doing it is broken).

Brother, it's been broken for longer than my lifetime, let alone yours! Everyone is so used to it by now that legalizing weed is a much easier band-aid.

Caesar knew what was up; bread and circuses! We're just part of the entertainment... on with the show! Ignore what the men in gray suits are doing to our children's futures...

connoisseurde420

connoisseurde420

well a lot of interesting things have been said I read the entire converstion. but this amber got me faded. I am worried about this always. but considering growing up in cali and seeing la turn from none to thousands of shops. up north property is getting expensive with s facing plots. cig companies own thousands of acres in the same longitude as Kush mountains hmmm. but still price for DANK like some of those cookies in threads on here, 3-3500 consistently. it cost me 3-500 a lb depending on veg time flower time and yield.so right now at top of market I make 3k per light per 9 weeks.avg 8-10 actual that's 1500 mo. for maybe 20 hrs(high aprox avg) a month jeez. in a SUPER flood what 2000 a lb still 1k per 1k. not exactly but u get my drift still worth it it to do good weed indoor . so what the next guy goes to 1500. well were getting close to shifty now. so if that guy. wants todo 1000 I'm fucked and smoking all my shit. but look at it this way with me what is. going to happen to all that green house and outdoor? worth mexi weed prices or what 50 a kilo? maybe just. for medical extract for a more reasonable price that would be cool to just own land register and send my shit to the hospital where its needed to cure cancer and 9999999?99??? other diseases. damn I'm not growing enough. my only point is that if I was the rich one trying to come at this game I would be trying to keep value so I can still make a good profit like all big biz likes that's what's important. what is the highest low number LOL. I think its over 1k for premium in door. cost and space are only worth it at a certain point real waste value comes in to play. with weed too there's so many strains and particular crosses you.could drive across cali hitting shops and get over 1k different strains. in clone form so 2000 1k and u only got 2#maybe 3-4 of each LOL u don't even have all the fflavor running LOL! and its impossible. these kinds of things will help keep the value of good weed up. and weed in general. so many dynamics. wish I had money to play on this level my god! well enough food for thought what Ya think?.

Dopegeist

Dopegeist

cig companies own thousands of acres in the same longitude as Kush mountains hmmm.
?Latitude?
Hmmm is right, like always they got half of it right.
The one thing I know (firsthand experience) about big tobacco, is they have more money than God (the Catholic Church), but no sense among any of them, Groupthink at it's finest.
Plus, it will take them years to adapt to full scale after (IF) Federal DE-SCHEDULING without hiring a small army of veteran growers.

Maybe go easy on the amber before posting? You thoughts got pretty jumbled after the first few sentences. Try putting a separate thought in each paragraph. Makes it easier to read.

Natural

Natural

?Latitude?
Hmmm is right, like always they got half of it right.
The one thing I know (firsthand experience) about big tobacco, is they have more money than God (the Catholic Church), but no sense among any of them, Groupthink at it's finest.
Plus, it will take them years to adapt to full scale after (IF) Federal DE-SCHEDULING without hiring a small army of veteran growers.

Maybe go easy on the amber before posting? You thoughts got pretty jumbled after the first few sentences. Try putting a separate thought in each paragraph. Makes it easier to read.

Once thought of as a medicinal plant..tobacco in and of itself is a global trade asset and economic strength. Worldwide and in the US, all tobacco products are produced by farmer's..then the "Industry" takes the product and transforms it into something marketable. So they have to buy tobacco from the farmer's first then a long list of supplies to to transform it into a rolled cig (including sprayed additives).
Here's RJ Reynolds prerequisites for suppliers:
  • Auditable financial strength;
  • Proven capacity to meet contractual obligations;
  • Guaranteed capability for full and continuous supply;
  • Assurance that requirements will be met through implemented, auditable quality plans; and,
  • Reputable track record in supplier’s area of expertise.
If you know "tobacco road" and states such as NC..all those quality Colleges are held up through the tobacco industry..it's a back-bone industry. I see how CO wants tax dollars for school money..that's usually how we place sin tax. Can you imagine what processed MJ would be like if the "industry" were to market it...lol. I could see them taking leaves from fields of plants..as not to gum up the rollers...spray them with additives for flavor and potency...yuck!

So our strength is in raw flowers..quality and organic..not processed. BUT, I bet there are lots of big money investors trying to figure out their place in the MJ industry right now..but it is a conundrum...and not an easy one to crack. I think "big tobacco" is less a worry than some shadowy millionaire investors cornering the greenhouse/warehouse industries as we move forward. Ones that will likely shape how the laws get written and re-written.

baba G

baba G

bean sprouts are tasty
Once thought of as a medicinal plant..tobacco in and of itself is a global trade asset and economic strength. Worldwide and in the US, all tobacco products are produced by farmer's..then the "Industry" takes the product and transforms it into something marketable. So they have to buy tobacco from the farmer's first then a long list of supplies to to transform it into a rolled cig (including sprayed additives).
Here's RJ Reynolds prerequisites for suppliers:
  • Auditable financial strength;
  • Proven capacity to meet contractual obligations;
  • Guaranteed capability for full and continuous supply;
  • Assurance that requirements will be met through implemented, auditable quality plans; and,
  • Reputable track record in supplier’s area of expertise.
If you know "tobacco road" and states such as NC..all those quality Colleges are held up through the tobacco industry..it's a back-bone industry. I see how CO wants tax dollars for school money..that's usually how we place sin tax. Can you imagine what processed MJ would be like if the "industry" were to market it...lol. I could see them taking leaves from fields of plants..as not to gum up the rollers...spray them with additives for flavor and potency...yuck!

So our strength is in raw flowers..quality and organic..not processed. BUT, I bet there are lots of big money investors trying to figure out their place in the MJ industry right now..but it is a conundrum...and not an easy one to crack. I think "big tobacco" is less a worry than some shadowy millionaire investors cornering the greenhouse/warehouse industries as we move forward. Ones that will likely shape how the laws get written and re-written.
Big tobacco laughs at a millionaire investor, they have billions...And they are already lined up in the AGriculture field which is where Cannabis will be. They have more money and lobbyists than any other millionaire, I'd think Big Tobacco is poised for the legalization much more so than ANYONE else, imho. They already own thousands of acres in Mendo & Humboldt, you don't think they thought this through and know the marketing..hence property in the triangle versus the central valley....lmao

baba G

baba G

bean sprouts are tasty
It's funny because you always seem to look for the worst case scenario. When in fact the colorado model actually makes it harder for big buisness to come in and immediately kick the little guys out. Ya I highly doubt that someone with 2 or 3 lights will be able to compete in this kinda market. But the medical shops that already have a a reputation will have no issues unloading all of their product. And a year later who's going to want to compete with them? So yes times they are a changing but the mom and pops shops that evolve with this thing will be just fine. And the idiots will get put out of business. Again we still arrest 750,000 people a year for possesion. Until that changes we are from an open or free market.
medical shops won't matter when the federal law changes, the big tobacco knows they need to kick the medicalness to the curb and open up the game for all that can buy it and stop giving money to those doctors every year. That annual doctor money should go to the tobacco giants, duh!

Natural

Natural

Big tobacco laughs at a millionaire investor, they have billions...And they are already lined up in the AGriculture field which is where Cannabis will be. They have more money and lobbyists than any other millionaire, I'd think Big Tobacco is poised for the legalization much more so than ANYONE else, imho. They already own thousands of acres in Mendo & Humboldt, you don't think they thought this through and know the marketing..hence property in the triangle versus the central valley....lmao

They've been trying since Carter..it does make sense for them industry wise. I just don't see it going from schedule 1 to sold as tobacco in 2 years...and I don't see it being medical quality once it does either. So I feel it safe to recognize what does happen meanwhile.

baba G

baba G

bean sprouts are tasty
They've been trying since Carter..it does make sense for them industry wise. I just don't see it going from schedule 1 to sold as tobacco in 2 years...and I don't see it being medical quality once it does either. So I feel it safe to recognize what does happen meanwhile.
Where do you see it going? It has hit a bigger presence nowadays and has been on the move and can't continue with the status quo of mmj, imo

true grit

true grit

I totally agree--but as of right now there are too many growers to fit into the concept of the word "niche".

My suggestion is that SOME people are going to be put out of business by this and should plan accordingly--not that ALL of them will be shut down.

Not the case, you have no clue what kind of quality vs. volume or supply is out here in our legal market. The fact of the matter is that most is sub par when considering a niche/microbrew/fine wine market. There is a cream and that will rise if they have the connections and income/investors to facilitate such. Paired also with the fact out of state companies/investors will not be allowed to compete for some time.

When the original round of licensing could be bought for medical, almost anyone fitting the standard requirements was able to purchase a license and compete. From that point forward, the investment money, ability to actually run a biz, connections, etc kept people afloat because they wanted simple volume for a number of people with red cards. This will be a slightly different market and those who have been here since the last licensing and want to compete are bit more prepared i would think. But it all depends on how the licensing finally rolls out. There will def still be a top spot in black market for top shelf tho..always is.

Top Bottom