Lack of Vertical Integration Will Kill the Basement Grower

• Thread starter Bud Spleefman
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Natural

Natural

Where do you see it going? It has hit a bigger presence nowadays and has been on the move and can't continue with the status quo of mmj, imo

I see a long battle ahead for State's rights in the face of the Fed who vows allegiance to the UN Charters. We literally have to make a Constitution Amendment to get around Controlled Substances Act.

We have some deeply rooted stigma nationwide still...people are getting locked up..even the horribly sick. We need to keep pushing for safe access as a medicine alternative and oppose Big Tobacco at every turn. They would only turn out a highly processed product..they would have no choice. I for one am going to enjoy seeing State's get Medical access that have never had it and I hope in the established States such as CA do their part to diminish any thinking that Corporate interests such as Big Tobacco as well as Monsanto has no place in producing medicine. They have a better chance at hemp...but if we go legal at the Fed level all bets are off. Though we still need to chant the mantra of a healthy society..that's where these laws started in the first place. Frankenweed isn't an answer and even still if Big Tobacco gets their chance they still have to depend on Farmer's as they do with tobacco..their will never be enough "good" product around if that happens...but at least we won't suffer draconian policy.
Interesting times to say the least!

squiggly

squiggly

Gotta love speculation.

Definitely.

When I first got into this thread my entire purpose was to speculate for the sake of possibly causing some folks to think about the future. I thought I was pretty clear that its all speculation.

No one can really say for sure what will happen, but we can make some pretty educated guesses.

If I was forced to make a bet one way or the other today, I'd invest in tobacco companies and that's all I really meant to say. The most likely case to my mind is that we'll see a synthesis of what all the folks here have said.

Tobacco companies will get in on it, a good portion of "basement" growers will shut down, those that remain will do so in niche markets, and hell even pharma companies might take a slice of the pie.

None of those are guarantees, but sense tells us that all of them are possible. I suppose my main concern was that people don't get caught holding the bag by assuming that nothing is going to change. The only thing which I can guarantee is that change is coming, be it positive or negative the victor is going to be the person who hedges the best bets--that's really why I'd go with big tobacco if forced, because they have a proven track record in this space and that the best indicator as far as I'm concerned, but the sky is the limit in terms of possibilities.

F

fadetoblack1

Definitely.

When I first got into this thread my entire purpose was to speculate for the sake of possibly causing some folks to think about the future. I thought I was pretty clear that its all speculation.

No one can really say for sure what will happen, but we can make some pretty educated guesses.

If I was forced to make a bet one way or the other today, I'd invest in tobacco companies and that's all I really meant to say. The most likely case to my mind is that we'll see a synthesis of what all the folks here have said.

Tobacco companies will get in on it, a good portion of "basement" growers will shut down, those that remain will do so in niche markets, and hell even pharma companies might take a slice of the pie.

None of those are guarantees, but sense tells us that all of them are possible. I suppose my main concern was that people don't get caught holding the bag by assuming that nothing is going to change. The only thing which I can guarantee is that change is coming, be it positive or negative the victor is going to be the person who hedges the best bets--that's really why I'd go with big tobacco if forced, because they have a proven track record in this space and that the best indicator as far as I'm concerned, but the sky is the limit in terms of possibilities.

green punk

green punk

On the regulation speculation horizon... It seems there will be some control on THC levels of product similar to proof on hard booze and alcohol percentage of craft beers. A bill was passed allowing for craft brewers to have higher alcohol levels a few legislative sessions ago in my state. Not sure how many percentage points they gained, I know it was well received by the micro brew/barley wine crowd.

The man could impose a regulation that would allow for growing and production of only their specified plants/genetics(w genetic markers encoded, MONSANTO) in order to prevent higher levels of THC from getting into the product line. And impose fines, penalties and the like to enforce.

Blah Blah, Babbling to much coffee

Dopegeist

Dopegeist

"When I first got into this thread my entire purpose was to speculate for the sake of possibly causing some folks to think about the future. I thought I was pretty clear that its all speculation.

Good man, because we all know the only thing in life that is constant, is change.

I'd invest in tobacco companies and that's all I really meant to say. The most likely case to my mind is that we'll see a synthesis of what all the folks here have said.
That and gun companies before the next election cycle :)

Seeing lots of farmers on the precipice of a decision to go big or go home, just to make a fraction of what they used to, whether they know it or not yet.

None of those are guarantees, but sense tells us that all of them are possible. I suppose my main concern was that people don't get caught holding the bag by assuming that nothing is going to change. ...that's really why I'd go with big tobacco if forced, because they have a proven track record in this space and that the best indicator as far as I'm concerned....

"I know which pony I'd ride."

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
If they decide to have the FDA regulate it then they can add more jobs to that sector and really fuck things up. Testing requirements via years of lab analysis and trials before the patented strain can be sold through an actual pharmacy (supplied of course by merck, pfizer, etc). It would take way too much money and resources for anyone but a billion dollar industry to keep up.

Black market will be here for a while. No doubt about that.

squiggly

squiggly

If they decide to have the FDA regulate it then they can add more jobs to that sector and really fuck things up. Testing requirements via years of lab analysis and trials before the patented strain can be sold through an actual pharmacy (supplied of course by merck, pfizer, etc). It would take way too much money and resources for anyone but a billion dollar industry to keep up.

Black market will be here for a while. No doubt about that.

I don't think you'll see this for a fairly simple reason:

If we get to the point of federal legalization I think that it's going to be done on the basis of "Alright let's cut the shit, this stuff isn't as harmful as we've been making it out to be."

There is an unspoken understanding across the world, and in political circles as well, that MJ was originally criminalized for the sake of money and not actual concern over it's damaging effect on citizenry. There is, likewise, an understanding that it really does inhabit a space (as a commodity) which is similar to alcohol. Not exactly good for you, but not anything to write home about either.

Furthermore there is evidence of its husbandry dating back thousands of years. I just don't see where the FDA is going to get into some extremely intense regulatory role here. What I expect will happen is you will definitely see some bureaucratic regulation that takes place but it won't be the kind that keep strains out--it will be the kind that keeps the little guy out.

Even as a liberal I understand that probably the worst thing about government is that it exists in these "corporate spaces" to drive the little guy out. I saw a great example of this while working as a landscaper. My boss had taken to delivering firewood in the winter time (since no one needs their grass cut, lol) and he had been seasoning his own wood on our lot where we kept all of our machinery. Come to find out there's about 9 kadrillion regulations that have to be followed in order to do that legally (mostly having to do with fire hazards). To comply was prohibitively expensive with a capital P, so much so that it drove him out of the business (or it would if he followed the regulations which he does not).

So I would expect to see this type of regulation coming down from above rather than something that's actually targeting the plant itself. Ultimately the little guy suffers and those who can cover the overhead do alright. Really it is this type of thing that drives forward the process of a market becoming perfectly competitive (that I brought up earlier). When there are barriers to entry that everyone has to pay homage to it levels the playing field--but it also installs a glass floor for what it takes to be a part of the business.

Ultimately its the consumer who controls whether or not a glass ceiling comes into play. If I had my guess I'd say they will, but that's what 90% of this argument has been about and its really anyone's game. I think most of us know the price floor will raise over time (there is already one there by way of equipment, water costs, nutrients, etc). As the floor/ceiling meet each other and the margin shrinks that's where the basement grower will find difficulty. Without sufficient scale one misstep puts them out of business.

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
I don't think you'll see this for a fairly simple reason:

If we get to the point of federal legalization I think that it's going to be done on the basis of "Alright let's cut the shit, this stuff isn't as harmful as we've been making it out to be."

There is an unspoken understanding across the world, and in political circles as well, that MJ was originally criminalized for the sake of money and not actual concern over it's damaging effect on citizenry. There is, likewise, an understanding that it really does inhabit a space (as a commodity) which is similar to alcohol. Not exactly good for you, but not anything to write home about either.

Furthermore there is evidence of its husbandry dating back thousands of years. I just don't see where the FDA is going to get into some extremely intense regulatory role here. What I expect will happen is you will definitely see some bureaucratic regulation that takes place but it won't be the kind that keep strains out--it will be the kind that keeps the little guy out.

Even as a liberal I understand that probably the worst thing about government is that it exists in these "corporate spaces" to drive the little guy out. I saw a great example of this while working as a landscaper. My boss had taken to delivering firewood in the winter time (since no one needs their grass cut, lol) and he had been seasoning his own wood on our lot where we kept all of our machinery. Come to find out there's about 9 kadrillion regulations that have to be followed in order to do that legally (mostly having to do with fire hazards). To comply was prohibitively expensive with a capital P, so much so that it drove him out of the business (or it would if he followed the regulations which he does not).

So I would expect to see this type of regulation coming down from above rather than something that's actually targeting the plant itself. Ultimately the little guy suffers and those who can cover the overhead do alright. Really it is this type of thing that drives forward the process of a market becoming perfectly competitive (that I brought up earlier). When there are barriers to entry that everyone has to pay homage to it levels the playing field--but it also installs a glass floor for what it takes to be a part of the business.

Ultimately its the consumer who controls whether or not a glass ceiling comes into play. If I had my guess I'd say they will, but that's what 90% of this argument has been about and its really anyone's game. I think most of us know the price floor will raise over time (there is already one there by way of equipment, water costs, nutrients, etc). As the floor/ceiling meet each other and the margin shrinks that's where the basement grower will find difficulty. Without sufficient scale one misstep puts them out of business.

MJ was originally criminalized because of racism towards both Mexicans and Blacks, not money.

muir

muir

and suddenly, the bubble burst.
I have friends selling their grow properties in NorCal.
I have friends dropping out and moving on to new things
I have many other friends doubling down.
Any swinging dick has 10 lights around Nedtown. and ZERO rentals to be found.

Colorado Real Estate is on fire. If anyone needs a canna-friendly RE Agent, hit me.

Johnny Redthumb

Johnny Redthumb

There is too many growers both in California and Colorado. If you are getting 2200 or less for indoor, you should just take the hint that you can't produce quality and truly compete with the markets and just get out of the biz.

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

Ouchh....i might have interpeted that wrong
There is too many growers both in California and Colorado. If you are getting 2200 or less for indoor, you should just take the hint that you can't produce quality and truly compete with the markets and just get out of the biz.

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

What would someone pay for quality without having to haggle and politic around and do you think any Ft. Collin Dispensaries are on that level

mayonnaise

mayonnaise

Five years ago you could have said the same thing except 3800 would have been a realistic number. I've gotten 4600 before, but not a chance in hell now. Good industrious growers can grind out a decent living and still only charge 1500. It all depends on who is willing to do the extra work and play a little less.

Top Bottom