Lack of Vertical Integration Will Kill the Basement Grower

• Thread starter Bud Spleefman
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Dopegeist

Dopegeist

If he's planning a Starbucks strategy, I think he's been watching too many episodes of Weeds.

"We would be happy if we get 40 percent of it worldwide."
Keep dreaming son.
Gotta love the 'Ganjapreneurs'. But yeah the last is pretty funny "The fact that an entrepreneur is publicly pushing the envelope around a branding and value-based pricing opportunity, I would say that's in the water in Seattle," said Carlyle, chairman of the House Finance Committee. "That's in our DNA ... We could have predicted that as much as the rain."

Dopegeist

Dopegeist

^^^The best thing about that 'end of prohibition' vid is in the end.

Do they flip on the Bob Marley and share a quarter pounder?
Hop on a couch to watch Darkside and Oz?
Or get 'Dab City' up in this bitch?

No. They do what any rich, white collared person has been trained to do. They celebrate with a little bubbly. I officially withdraw my support for this guy. Let the Feds go Barto on his ass.

ttystikk

ttystikk

Good man, because we all know the only thing in life that is constant, is change.

Seeing lots of farmers on the precipice of a decision to go big or go home, just to make a fraction of what they used to, whether they know it or not yet.

"I know which pony I'd ride."

There is too many growers both in California and Colorado. If you are getting 2200 or less for indoor, you should just take the hint that you can't produce quality and truly compete with the markets and just get out of the biz.

Now y'all are gettin into MY wheelhouse, and I'm here to tell you that great weed can be grown profitably for a closet grower for a whole lot less than $2200 a pound.

To earn a good living, people are simply, FINALLY, going to have to take a good hard look at their costs. $100/gallon nutrients?! Seriously?! AC is so much less efficient than chilling that my unit has quite literally paid for its own upgrade already. That does not include the $1000 savings each winter from not having to run my furnace... I'm engaged in lots of projects, large and small, to boost the efficiency of the current standard of indoor growing.

From here, I can see cutting our power usage by half and maintain our productivity is possible. I also think that the grower who solves his cost/benefit problems creatively will prosper- just like we always have!

One more thing. I aim to be that guy who finds- and then markets- better ways to grow for less money. I hope there's a lot of guys out there like me- and that you all will support us. That's good for small business, it's good for YOUR business, and efficiency is always good for the planet.

mayonnaise

mayonnaise

Ttystikk, give me your bottom line for profitable GOOD weed production. I say it can be done for around a grand under lights and still make an ok go of it. Not enough to put the 12" lift on your new 4x4 and take a month off in Mexico but not payday to payday either. Just my opinion. I've been wrong before.

M

mr duder

What's your guys speculated idea on what "fire" or top grade will wholesale for once the legal sales start? I noticed 600-900 for what was called medium grade.

ttystikk

ttystikk

Ttystikk, give me your bottom line for profitable GOOD weed production. I say it can be done for around a grand under lights and still make an ok go of it. Not enough to put the 12" lift on your new 4x4 and take a month off in Mexico but not payday to payday either. Just my opinion. I've been wrong before.

This number is dependent on too many variables that change between places, people, markets, etc. I also like to think people are working on tips, techniques and technologies to continually reduce this number. Bottom line? I think the future of man depends on it, wherever we may end up...

squiggly

squiggly

MJ was originally criminalized because of racism towards both Mexicans and Blacks, not money.

Actually, you've put the chicken before the egg on this one--if I may:

It was made illegal because hemp was set to overtake many industrial businesses--as it will be again if legalized. Lumber-based paper milling was one such space. It so happened that a man named William Randolph Hearst (upon whom the main character of "Citizen Kane" was based) owned a great deal of the paper milling interests in this country, and the DuPont family was also linked to this industry (DuPont is now one of the largest, highest grossing, companies in the world).

He also happened to own nearly all of the most popular newspapers of the time. Conspiring with several political leaders (FDR not the least among them) and officials (like Anslinger) he set out to run a smear campaign against marijuana so that he could snuff out the hemp industry before it started, fearing it would infringe upon his vast forest ownership rights and milling business.

A part of this smear campaign included linking the drug to both blacks (mostly to jazz musicians who were viewed as a undesirable crowd by many whites) and to migrant workers in the south (who were hated for many of the same reasons they are to day -- "They took 'er jobs!!!").

There were MANY other such "links" which were formed as a result of this smear campaign. How the drugs target youths and turned them into peddlers, all of the accusations from the famous movie "Reefer Madness" (which Hearst and DuPont are believed to have funded in part), and even that the drug had links to idol and demon worship (the demon god Moloch anyone?).

So yes, while the Blacks and Hispanics were a part of the equation--they were a means to an end in this case, not the ends which justified the means. Not surprisingly money was, and still is, the culprit (as it is with most things).

squiggly

squiggly

Keeping in mind that the Hearst Corporation took a massive dive upon his death and another dive in the 1970s, here is a non-exhaustive list of it's current holdings:

squiggly

squiggly

• TVA Sistema de Televisão (Brazil) (minority shareholder)

• LocalEdge - Formerly THE TALKING PHONE BOOK
  • Black Book
  • IC Master
  • Collision Database
  • Diversion
  • Electronic Engineers Master Catalog
  • Electronic Products Magazine
  • First DataBank
  • Fitch Ratings (20%) - FIMALAC (80%)
  • FleetCross
  • Floor Covering Weekly
  • IDG/Hearst
  • Local.com
  • Metrix4Media
  • Motor/AllData
  • Motor Books
  • Motor Magazine
  • NOVA Electronik
  • Stocknet
  • StructuredContent
  • TL Publications
  • Used Car Guides
  • Zynx Health Incorporated

Investments include:

Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Some guy with a light
I have literally done the real world production numbers a few 100 times...I was at $216 bucks per month per 1k with a kiddie pool under it, that was power, nutes, genetics, all cost involved (flower side only)...we were pullin between 1.5 and 1.8 per light with 4 plants under it...so thats 1.5-1.8lbs for roughly $432 bucks due to the 2 month flower time...I can scale it just a little more and it drops by another significant amount...but as is that's grade AAA+++ dank for roughly $250 a lb...throw another couple bucks a lb in there for veg time and your done..That was runnin expensive ass nutes as well, AN, Canna, and H&G were all that were on tap

Now there are those in the crew pushin 2-2.5 a light so it is gettin alot more cost effective in offsetting the electrical expense...a/c and lights are the big cost eater but media and nutes bring it up pretty good in a big op

I haven't thown the numbers down on a 40k, 100k, or 500k grow op yet but other than the labor wild card overall unit cost should be way way low even after you fold in the taxes, permits, leases, and fees in to each one

Natural

Natural

I have literally done the real world production numbers a few 100 times...I was at $216 bucks per month per 1k with a kiddie pool under it, that was power, nutes, genetics, all cost involved (flower side only)...we were pullin between 1.5 and 1.8 per light with 4 plants under it...so thats 1.5-1.8lbs for roughly $432 bucks due to the 2 month flower time...I can scale it just a little more and it drops by another significant amount...but as is that's grade AAA+++ dank for roughly $250 a lb...throw another couple bucks a lb in there for veg time and your done..That was runnin expensive ass nutes as well, AN, Canna, and H&G were all that were on tap

Now there are those in the crew pushin 2-2.5 a light so it is gettin alot more cost effective in offsetting the electrical expense...a/c and lights are the big cost eater but media and nutes bring it up pretty good in a big op

I haven't thown the numbers down on a 40k, 100k, or 500k grow op yet but other than the labor wild card overall unit cost should be way way low even after you fold in the taxes, permits, leases, and fees in to each one

I remember them kiddie pools..inspirational!
$250 sounds about right...even with some added tricks like CO2.
..of course real estate costs come right off the top though...then we can calculate cost per lb.
That's why growing where you live is more feasible...add in a rental fee and the price jumps exponentially...more like an adjusting scale of how many lights can you crank.

M

mr duder

Do you really think prices will drop that low in the next year? I agree 1500 maybe 1000 but 600 is just plain crazy.

Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Some guy with a light
There are definatly two camps...commercial and not..all of the price drops, super low pound prices, and huge production numbers are related to commercial cats only..the basement underground scene will easily hold $3000-3200 an lb for the hand to hand street love and is the same as it ever was...they are in no way competing with each other for the same dollar but its hard not to get confused

ttystikk

ttystikk

I just had the chance to see some dispensary product, going for $120/oz. What I saw was good product.

Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Some guy with a light
There are no dispensaries in Fort Collins..they voted them out a few years ago..

Blaze

Blaze

Does that cost include rent/mortgage, trim costs, and equipment? No offense but those numbers seem unrealistically low, especially for indoor.

Top Bottom