Landrace/Original Cultivar Strains...any of 'em still around???

• Thread starter jfizzle2cmu
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
jfizzle2cmu

jfizzle2cmu

So I'm not hugely into the genetics of marijuana and breeding quite yet, and I haven't taken the time to really understand all of its evolution, however, I do find it all fascinating. I've always been intrigued by its origins and how it has developed into the little thc-filled plant that it is today. Well, yesterday, I happened to stumble upon this website that has a picture of all the original landrace strains - http://smokereports.com/strainreports/1928/Landraces - and it got me thinking about a couple of things.
#1 Are any of the strains still around today in their pure form? I'm guessing not many, if any at all, would be around. And if they are, I'm guessing those folks either don't know they have them, ie. old stoner with some seeds from the '60s who keeps them as mementos of his crazy past, or they aren't getting off them for all the gold in the world.
#2 If one was to acquire several, or impossibly, all of them, could you recreate the great hybrids and crosses that have emerged through the decades? For instance, could you start with some of the originals and then cross them to make the first generation hybrids that we've all heard of like Skunk and Maui Wowi, etc. and then recreate the second generations like White Widow, Bubba Kush, Blueberry, etc., all the way up to the good strains of today?
Look, we all know there is a huge improbability and uncertainty when acquiring new strains and seeds, even with so many respected breeders out there. Who truly knows if they are getting the exact strain they think they are, or if that strain has been stabilized, or if that strain's lineage is what it's supposed to be??? Even with the most respected breeders, how do you truly know you're getting what you think, and that they really do have the original cut of hells angels og or nepalese kush? You don't. There simply aren't paper trails of certified breeds or entire documented works by breeders, as these would have obviously been stupid to keep as it would have given police a guaranteed indictment.
I've always thought if and when I do get into breeding, I'd want to acquire the oldest of possible strains, not for smoking purposes, but for purposes of recreating traditional gems and ensuring I have the most stable and purest of genetics. Obviously the strains of way back were awful THC wise, with a landrace strain probably not likely to hit double digit THC-percentage, while strains of today have no trouble reaching the upper-20s to lower-30s.
Anyone else ever had these thoughts, or even know if such a thing is possible???

sky high

sky high

lObviously the strains of way back were awful THC wise, with a landrace strain probably not likely to hit double digit THC-percentage, while strains of today have no trouble reaching the upper-20s to lower-30s.
Anyone else ever had these thoughts, or even know if such a thing is possible???

I've never had those thoughts 'cus I was there to know far better than to make such blanket statements. The pot of the 70's, like the pot of today, had it's standouts and it's share of mediocrity as well. Landrace smokes like "thai stick" circa 1977 (at a whopping $175 an ounce) were as strong as any of the "kushes" or "OG's" (whatever lineage those really are) of today. Even mexibrick had it's standouts. Thing is, folks >just< smoked 'em. ...and there wasn't any testing other than the consensus of the circle of friends you were in and the legends that grew around the selections that stood out over time.

What blows me away is to think of how strong >some< of that pot was...and it was seeded to fuck! Just think if it were grown like that >new stuff< they are calling "sensimilla" !! (for 2013, insert the word "kush") :D LOL

best of luck with your projects, jfizz

Ohiofarmer

Ohiofarmer

You can source most of the landrace strains of the world in seed form to varying degrees, however, realize that they are watered down from the originals and that in reality breeding from landrace stock is quite tedioce and labor intensive inorder to get what there already is back out of it, you hafta keep in mind that the crosses a combed through to find the best, then that best is crossed to another best etc etc. so in the end IMO it's better to have landrace stock if your a bean hoarder, but still buy and run all the crazy genetics that years of breeding have produced.....just my 2 cents....take it easy

jfizzle2cmu

jfizzle2cmu

I've never had those thoughts 'cus I was there to know far better than to make such blanket statements. The pot of the 70's, like the pot of today, had it's standouts and it's share of mediocrity as well. Landrace smokes like "thai stick" circa 1977 (at a whopping $175 an ounce) were as strong as any of the "kushes" or "OG's" (whatever lineage those really are) of today. Even mexibrick had it's standouts. Thing is, folks >just< smoked 'em. ...and there wasn't any testing other than the consensus of the circle of friends you were in and the legends that grew around the selections that stood out over time.

What blows me away is to think of how strong >some< of that pot was...and it was seeded to fuck! Just think if it were grown like that >new stuff< they are calling "sensimilla" !! (for 2013, insert the word "kush") :D LOL

best of luck with your projects, jfizz
Idk about that. I have marijuana books from the 70s in which theu tested marijuana for thc and cbd profiles. They tested for several different cannibinoids. Tests clearly showed mj of the time could hardly achieve 10% thc. Selective breeding through the years has undoubtedly bolstered thc percentages. This isn't really even debatable as far as I know.

jfizzle2cmu

jfizzle2cmu

You can source most of the landrace strains of the world in seed form to varying degrees, however, realize that they are watered down from the originals and that in reality breeding from landrace stock is quite tedioce and labor intensive inorder to get what there already is back out of it, you hafta keep in mind that the crosses a combed through to find the best, then that best is crossed to another best etc etc. so in the end IMO it's better to have landrace stock if your a bean hoarder, but still buy and run all the crazy genetics that years of breeding have produced.....just my 2 cents....take it easy
Yeah that sounds legit. I wouldnt run a landrace for any purpose other than breeding purposes. But you say u can find most of them still?? I might have to start scouting seedbanks then. Id love to get my hands on every single landrace and original strain. Then it'd seem I could recreate any strain ever made w a little bit of work. :)

vaporedout

vaporedout

i found a wild thai landrace, but it was from CL and seemed to be a fake. but i was curious about them

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
I'll take an 8% SK #1 over most of the new shit today. Or like sky said the old thai stick we used to hook some up in Venice Beach form this dude and it would get you as fuckin baked as a dog turd on the boardwalk in the hot sun..

jfizzle2cmu

jfizzle2cmu

I c
I'll take an 8% SK #1 over most of the new shit today. Or like sky said the old thai stick we used to hook some up in Venice Beach form this dude and it would get you as fuckin baked as a dog turd on the boardwalk in the hot sun..
I get it, but don't you guys think maybe you're tolerances were much lower, or even non-existent, back then?? I'm 28, but I remember commercial being like mushrooms when I first started smoking 12 years ago. Now it doesn't get me high even. it isn't that the weed got worse, its that I've built up quite a tolerance. Take a year off smoking cap and then take ur 8% thai stix and some loompas hb and lemme know which gets u higher. Id bet my life everytime on hb.

jfizzle2cmu

jfizzle2cmu

So everyone seems to be stuck on the potency portion of this thread and that wasn't really what I wanted to be the focal point. I really wanted to figure out if it'd b possible to recreate strains over from the beginning.
And also, now I've thought of another question, does anyone think theres a possibility two breeders have made the exact same hybrids and named them differently??? For instance, there are oh, what, 3.6 trillion strains out there now? Could it be possible 2 or even several different strains r actually all the same exact strain??? Imo, that seems more likely than not.
this thought is the main reason I have this desire to recreate strains from scratch.

neverbreak

neverbreak

So everyone seems to be stuck on the potency portion of this thread and that wasn't really what I wanted to be the focal point. I really wanted to figure out if it'd b possible to recreate strains over from the beginning.
And also, now I've thought of another question, does anyone think theres a possibility two breeders have made the exact same hybrids and named them differently??? For instance, there are oh, what, 3.6 trillion strains out there now? Could it be possible 2 or even several different strains r actually all the same exact strain??? Imo, that seems more likely than not.
this thought is the main reason I have this desire to recreate strains from scratch.

not possible. even if the exact two strains were crossed, the recombination of genetics in the resulting seeds would be different. it's like asking if ya mum and dad had another child, would that child be genetically identical to you? and the answer of course is no.

neverbreak

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
I c
I get it, but don't you guys think maybe you're tolerances were much lower, or even non-existent, back then?? I'm 28, but I remember commercial being like mushrooms when I first started smoking 12 years ago. Now it doesn't get me high even. it isn't that the weed got worse, its that I've built up quite a tolerance. Take a year off smoking cap and then take ur 8% thai stix and some loompas hb and lemme know which gets u higher. Id bet my life everytime on hb.

right but gettign "higher" isn't always the goal. I personally like the taste and smell.

jfizzle2cmu

jfizzle2cmu

not possible. even if the exact two strains were crossed, the recombination of genetics in the resulting seeds would be different. it's like asking if ya mum and dad had another child, would that child be genetically identical to you? and the answer of course is no.

neverbreak
Good call. Never took that into consideration. That's the exact type of answer I was looking for.
right but gettign "higher" isn't always the goal. I personally like the taste and smell.
Gotcha. Yet right higher isn't always the goal, so it might be cool to start w some landrace.strains without amped up thc profiles and make some weaker stable strains from good genetics, eh?

jfizzle2cmu

jfizzle2cmu

If you head into remote place where cannabis has been grown for a long time, I guarantee you'll find landraces alive and well.
Lol maybe someday I can afford the time and luxury for such a journey, but that ain't today.

sky high

sky high

Idk about that. I have marijuana books from the 70s in which theu tested marijuana for thc and cbd profiles.

LOL....and I have marijuana books from the 70's that talk about splitting the stem and putting a rock in there to increase potency. Then there's the "dry ice" cure..also to increase potency in the "cure". Like the weed of the day, some of the info was, at times, weaksauce. Very few people had the nads to publish such info...so what >was written, true or not< was believed by all.

Good luck with the breeding project.

Ohiofarmer

Ohiofarmer

LOL....and I have marijuana books from the 70's that talk about splitting the stem and putting a rock in there to increase potency. Then there's the "dry ice" cure..also to increase potency in the "cure". Like the weed of the day, some of the info was, at times, weaksauce. Very few people had the nads to publish such info...so what >was written, true or not< was believed by all.

Good luck with the breeding project.
the rock in the stem trick is an ancient trick and does indeed work wonders. however since we have metal stakes redibly available now i would use those instead.......take it easy

homebrew420

homebrew420

1 yes they are all still around..in there place of origin. And anumber of vendors as well.

2 I think you could recreate most of the flavors and highs from long worked varieties. Time, luck and numbers is what it would take.

I have a few, not enough, the effects in some, are mellow. While others are devestating and could hold their own in todays heavily worked varieties. I will in the near future obtain most of the available sat. From as many different vendors as possible. Then the work begins in making f generations while selecting for superior individuals. That will not be in the near future

Great luck to you bud.

Peace

Latest posts

Top Bottom