Landrace/Original Cultivar Strains...any of 'em still around???

• Thread starter jfizzle2cmu
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
CannaTech

CannaTech

The same theory exists with "super cropping" there is no difference. Its about stressing the stem early on so it when it rebuilds, it rebuilds bigger and better allowing for better travel.

the only difference is the stem. in one your crushing the stem, in this method your just piercing it making it do the same thing without breaking the structural integrity of the stem.

long story short. it works no matter how you do it.

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

Im uh start piercing my stems good tip fellas maybe ill use a stainless steel rod dipped in something to help plant heal!

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
Yes it is, but i'm more of the guy thats hear to post what i know not prove whats been done; if yah want proof research it yourself and you'll find the answers, and i haven't done it with a rock but a metal stake, many advanced veganic growers use this method to increase yield and potency slightly, there are forum already on this topic on several cannabis boards, try it out sometime, you won't be disappointed.......take it easy

stressing the plant like this only works on some strains.

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

Have you noticed many plants not respond ing well... were they young or stressed already hmmmm would explain some more on that cap?

El Cerebro

El Cerebro

not sure what has to do with veganic but will take your word on not being weaksauce iye

Cap, which ones does it work on? (need a list so i can scrutinize):pompus:

ttystikk

ttystikk

1 yes they are all still around..in there place of origin. And anumber of vendors as well.

2 I think you could recreate most of the flavors and highs from long worked varieties. Time, luck and numbers is what it would take.

I have a few, not enough, the effects in some, are mellow. While others are devestating and could hold their own in todays heavily worked varieties. I will in the near future obtain most of the available sat. From as many different vendors as possible. Then the work begins in making f generations while selecting for superior individuals. That will not be in the near future

Great luck to you bud.

Peace

I have great confidence that you would create some really impressive standouts from the crowd. If you then ripped a page from the story of livestock domestication and inbred repeatedly for desired traits, you'd be knocking on the door of a whole new subcategory, with as much uniqueness to its makeup and profiles as 'sativa', 'indica' or 'kush'.

The only limits would be the traits you're breeding back for and how many generations to do it.

I had that Colorado cut of Maui Wowie too, homebrew's assessment was on the money. I was going to add that it got extremely bushy on me, needs a lot of thinning and shaping, and it took for-ev-er to finish. I gave up on it after 12 weeks, I just don't want to wait that long on a crop. That's why I let it go. There was another sativa dominant cut running around Colorado at the same time, though- it was mislabeled as Master Kush when it was sold to me. Anyway, this one finishes in 9 weeks and is better than my old Maui Wowie in every way. I'd love to ID my cut, just to satisfy my curiosity!

Ohiofarmer

Ohiofarmer

stressing the plant like this only works on some strains.
yah I know what ya mean, i would say it works on all plants but some respond better than others, also i only have experience doing this to from seed plants rather than clones, I think it is effective on clones too but at the same time it might stress the poor f-20 somethin girls a bit too much......In regard to the veganic yah i know, doesn't have much to do with it, i am an veganic/organic grower and simply stated that b/c I have never seen commercial or even small scale suburban guys using this technique i've only found organic and veganic guys that grow trees using this and even then thats still pretty limited; people like their sythetics and indoor, i run indor too but don't use the stake technique on them, i'll try it on 1 girl in 2 weeks and see what happens........anyways hope this clarified.....take it easy guys

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
not sure what has to do with veganic but will take your word on not being weaksauce iye

Cap, which ones does it work on? (need a list so i can scrutinize):pompus:

If we are talking about the same thing, I have heard on this being done to afghani strains in the wild. Farmers will stab them through the trunk a couple weeks before they finish and the stress is supposed to increase flower production. I did this to a plant in my MPB ( I think it was a super lemon). I saw no difference. I stabbed a screwdriver straight through the trunk and left it there. You can see it if you look through my MPB grow log.

I heard that this technique only works on some varieties and not all.

Plants are notorious for flowering more if they think they are going to die. In the nursery I learned that if you let a plant wilt slightly before you water again it stimulates flower production because the plant thinks it's dying, and by putting out flowers, it is using it's reproductive capability in a last minute effort to try to make seeds before it dies. This makes complete sense to me.

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

I think your on to something Cap .... It's all about threatening the plant without being detrimental to momentum .....
Best analogy for humans I can think of is hot springs therapy gets the body temp so high our body thinks its getting sick and we get out of the hot spring with our immune system kicking into gear...

Ohiofarmer

Ohiofarmer

I have also seen farmers do this in veg, and then let the wound heal over, creating a huge knot in the trunk where it was stabbed which facilitates more nutrient and water uptake to the flowers......take it easy

O

Organicyumyum

Idk about that. I have marijuana books from the 70s in which theu tested marijuana for thc and cbd profiles. They tested for several different cannibinoids. Tests clearly showed mj of the time could hardly achieve 10% thc. Selective breeding through the years has undoubtedly bolstered thc percentages. This isn't really even debatable as far as I know.

i could debate this........yes, pot has been bred to be more and more potent over the years, but the fact that those traits were in a plant to begin with means that there was definitely potent pot in the 70's. It's just that now strains have been bred for potency, so you have a much better shot at finding a potent plant in a pack of seeds than you did by popping bag seed back in the day. I promise you that there were some incredibly potent strains going around back then, probably just more few and far between. If any strain these days has 25% THC, you can believe that the genetics for that to happen were there all along. And no, I wasn't around back then, but I've spoken to many old heads who can attest to the fact that there was plenty of strong herb being sold. Most people these days dont even know what potent is.......try smoking a speedy landrace Thai sativa that will have you sweating and seeing goblins.

sky high

sky high

Just think how many screwdrivers those Afghans must go through a year to stab and leave one in every plant. LOL :rolleyes:

Something else I heard in the "old days"...true or not...is that another widespread practice in many marijuana/hash producing countries is that of "girdling" the plant in the field. This is where the outer skin/bark of the plant near ground level is removed....causing stress and a slow loss of moisture that allows the plant to expire at a slow pace and be semi-dried in the field rather than cutting it wet and hauling/hanging it back up somewhere else. (less labor, slower initial "cure") It's the same principal in action with the pine beetles all over the West where the beetle pierces enough holes in the trunk of the tree that the sap starts to drain out and in turn, the tree dies slowly over a period of time from a lack of moisture/stress.

Supposedly this process gave a lot of the weed we saw back then the red/brown/gold colors....but hey.... who really knows? If it was good shit...we sure never questioned any of it...we just asked immediately where we could get more before it was gone....

homebrew420

homebrew420

Healthy plants to the end is gonna be best....maybe. were there particular landrace you were lookong for?

Got:
Malawi
Mazar-i-sharif
Panama
Caribbean/Jamaican, TheTruth
Pakistani, pck and x-18
And plan to obtain more. Also have the DeePak, Deep Chunk x PCK. Hybrid made late last year.

Peace

fractal

fractal

Just think how many screwdrivers those Afghans must go through a year to stab and leave one in every plant. LOL :rolleyes:

Something else I heard in the "old days"...true or not...is that another widespread practice in many marijuana/hash producing countries is that of "girdling" the plant in the field. This is where the outer skin/bark of the plant near ground level is removed....causing stress and a slow loss of moisture that allows the plant to expire at a slow pace and be semi-dried in the field rather than cutting it wet and hauling/hanging it back up somewhere else. (less labor, slower initial "cure") It's the same principal in action with the pine beetles all over the West where the beetle pierces enough holes in the trunk of the tree that the sap starts to drain out and in turn, the tree dies slowly over a period of time from a lack of moisture/stress.

Supposedly this process gave a lot of the weed we saw back then the red/brown/gold colors....but hey.... who really knows? If it was good shit...we sure never questioned any of it...we just asked immediately where we could get more before it was gone....

I tried that once on a trainwreck plant outdoors. The buds turned more golden than green, did not notice any potency difference really. It does affect the finished product drastically, in terms of appearance.

I wish the middle east would calm the fuck down, so we could hit up the hippy trail through afghanistan, iran, morocco, lebanon, and india.

jfizzle2cmu

jfizzle2cmu

Healthy plants to the end is gonna be best....maybe. were there particular landrace you were lookong for?

Got:
Malawi
Mazar-i-sharif
Panama
Caribbean/Jamaican, TheTruth
Pakistani, pck and x-18
And plan to obtain more. Also have the DeePak, Deep Chunk x PCK. Hybrid made late last year.

Peace
That's a sweet list homebrew. I'm hoping to snatch up a few of those strains maybe this next spring. I want to get a bit better at growing first and get a better living/growing situation before I start my own breeding projects. How much breeding have u done with your older strains? If so, do u find it easier to stabilize than modern strains? That's really what I'm hoping for.

Top Bottom