Leaf Curl And Burn Cause ???

• Thread starter DirtyD
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Wisher619

Wisher619

Hm ... I wonder why ?
I could give a shit if I get 20 or 40 tomatoes off the plant .. when it comes to medicine it's closer to the heart hahaha.
The point is not to dive into ppm and adjust it to 1 ppm accuracy but to educate myself and others about misleading information and pointless things like ppm .. haha .. and ratio of N to P2O5 to K2O. Yes it's for ease of use but for me the cause is more interesting.
IMO ppm isnt pointless in the least

DirtyD

DirtyD

When it's just 200 or 500 ppm who knows what salts are in there, how they dissociate, how pH affects availability of certain ions.

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
IMO ppm isnt pointless in the least
It is a good base to work from. I have found tho some folks push the plant well beyond what it actually needs ppm wise and agree with @numbnutts in as much as I never feed by package direction either. I seem to have healthier plants all through flower not trying to find the sweet spot. Seems to me less is more when looking at overall plant health using less.

Wisher619

Wisher619

and tomatos are medicine

just a question....and in no way am I being condescending .... @DirtyD
how long have you been growing for.....I know you said you are not a noob
I have been since the early 90's and plants in general since an extremely young child
just wondering because some of the statements I find to be a little well odd I guess as all....to put it kindly....sorry no disrespect

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
heres an example of less . Looks pretty healthy right??

Tower of power
DSCN0833

N

numbnutts

My kaya gold plant shows signs of burn and curled leaves downwards. My thought either nutrient burn or overwater, but it's in coco so I'm not sure. View attachment 623886
Any help is appreciated
Nutrient burn will usually , not sure i think always , but usually show up with the very tips of the blades turning white and dry. Some people I know actually watch the tips and always keep it right at that point so they know max nutes are in there.
heres an example of less . Looks pretty healthy right??

View attachment 625075 View attachment 625076
She's beautiful and the perfect example that less is better some times. I know some strains are just more needy than others ...I've been doing this a while too and over the years I just kinda fell into a routine because it worked and when I started I had no clue what ppm was. I guess if I was growing hydro , I'd wanna know exactly what my ppm was , but with promix and hand watering. It just isn't necessary at this point. I'm pretty sure I've pushed my plants to the max they're gonna produce without it. I just dont wanna go getting all technical and going through the messed up runs I did when I first started.

DirtyD

DirtyD

No offense taken. This is my first grow. I've grown all kinds of veggies since I was a kid as well.
Looking at the overall plants health is a good way to judge what's needed. Making your own nutes with known levels of each element is more sound to me then just taking "ppm" recommendations. I understand that that's what nutrient manufacturers for, to somewhat dial in the ratios and sell em. Forgive me to be so anal about figuring out elemental balance. I totally understand your point ... this dude haven't grown shit and talking about ppm and shit and should just add nutes at quarter or half of recommended dose and look at the plants themselves for clues and not glue himself to excel spreadsheets and calculators. And I think I'll have to succumb to the suggestion just for a sake of peace.

DirtyD

DirtyD

I thank you all for all the help. This was a tremendous knowledge for me and tought me well. I will update on my progress in my grow thread.

DirtyD

DirtyD

Okay. I'm still learning, you are correct and I will use up the rest of the nutes I've got .. which should last another grow or two .. before making any other desicions. For now just research.

Wisher619

Wisher619

yeah I agree.....to me ....enviro is the single most important
then nutes.....and AN does make it easy
if you are running ph perfect coco in coco

DirtyD

DirtyD

That's what I have.
Another question. I was given some nutes that are old .. specifically Humboldt nutrients Ginormous, Honey and Bloom. If I had to guess they were sitting around for about 2 years, maybe more. Looks crusty around the cap too haha I know .. awesome. Question is - can I still use em ? I understand that some salts might have precipitated and or decomposed but will it harm the plant ?

DirtyD

DirtyD

But what exactly is bad about em ? I mean common sense is if it's old don't use it ... but if you know the science the only thing can happen is salts will fall out of the solution and won't be dissociated into ions and not readily available to the plant, so the strength would be less .. which is totally fine ..
Am .... I .... missing .... something ?

Wisher619

Wisher619

because they may have fallen out.....it would defeat the purpose of them......
some elements could be complety toxic
even though dis makes no sense but if you used it in an organic garden I am sure it would be fine....in small doses because the microbes would break things down
but in hydro it would be playing Roulette with a fully loaded 45
JMO

DirtyD

DirtyD

One more question. There's no mention of micronutrients in any of an nutes I got. Do I have to get some micros or they are there. Also would you recommend using Bloom nutes during Grow stage .. I mean adjust the ratio .. cause it just doesn't make sense to me the ratio they supply.

DirtyD

DirtyD

He did. Thanks bro. I made an excel spreadsheet that tracks ppm of each major nutrient ... or at least the ones listed. AN is starting to annoy me more and more .. just gotta look at their website .. lots of big signs .. big letters ... but when it comes to guaranteed analysis ..nowhere to be found.

Latest posts

Top Bottom