LED light vs HPS light yield / watt

• Thread starter GrowUp777
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

If it does any justice I use a photontek sq300w in a 3.3by3.3 and got 487grams but if I put in all the same pheno that average of 3 plants yielded 66.6 if I filled it out with 9×3 gallon pots I'd get 599 ball park can anyone do me the gram per watt 😉
About 1.4 gpw but honestly we should all be doing gram per kw/hr

Frankster

Frankster

Never trust a doctor who's plants have died.
Supporter
Using the t5

AgroMax 4 Foot T5 UV-A was a huge advantage imo​

But that's addressing pest control fungi and overall complexity than sheer end weight

Last edited:
Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
Maybe that's what I should consider running during flower. I wonder what the conversation amount is present within nature

Tasty Buds

Tasty Buds

Under 2 gavita 1700e and still 8 more plants to pull down at that point. There are loads of examples all over many forums, IG and the likes of the garbage social media. Its hard to debate anymore… LED out produces HID by a huge margin gram per watt.

The thread in the linked is a total of about 6.5 lbs in a 4x8 from about 1200 watts of LED just over 1 HID.

Not many commercial guys that arent getting 3 lb per light under LED these days

Post in thread 'Expert Seeds "Sweet Zombie" under 2 Gavita Pro 1700e LED's..............'
https://www.thcfarmer.com/threads/e...r-2-gavita-pro-1700e-leds.119221/post-2558343
20180802 134815
20180802 134846
20180802 134753
20180716 153240

Thank you Aqua! You've always been very helpful!
I do have to question 6.5 there? Being I haven't weight a yield in years, it very well might be?
For a comparison, let me post a typical yield I'll get off a 600 w hps. I usually flower out the mother once I'm done with testing
a cultivar. To me my cultivar appears to have yielded in that ballpark? Key word "appears".
This is a 1 plant scrog yield off 1, 4x4 Botanicare table. I probably should weigh em going forward.
Again 1 plant under a single 600 hps using the cheapy $30 Ipower bulb lol
Excellent quality, and I'm fairly certain I hit over 2 with the 600 in a really inefficient XXXL air cooled hood?

Apologies for the poor photography,

20180731 102220
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Here is a pretty good study done by Mcgill Its a lot of info to go through but worth it

https://escholarship.mcgill.ca/downloads/7p88cn54p
Now i have some reading to do… but you realize that was a 1000w de HPS vs 600w LED. What was adjusted was the spectrums and ppfd… but was lacking a full spectrum LED at by first glance and skimming i did not see efficiency.

Great spectral info it looks like in there though.

Watt for watt just no way a HID can compare to LED. What does compare is the spectral makeup and that’s something being tweaked in LED and with tubable spectrums coming out LED will eventually be able to maximize all stages of growth

Last edited:
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

View attachment 1259753View attachment 1259754View attachment 1259757View attachment 1259756

Thank you Aqua! You've always been very helpful!
I do have to question 6.5 there? Being I haven't weight a yield in years, it very well might be?
For a comparison, let me post a typical yield I'll get off a 600 w hps. I usually flower out the mother once I'm done with testing
a cultivar. To me my cultivar appears to have yielded in that ballpark? Key word "appears".
This is a 1 plant scrog yield off 1, 4x4 Botanicare table. I probably should weigh em going forward.
Again 1 plant under a single 600 hps using the cheapy $30 Ipower bulb lol
Excellent quality, and I'm fairly certain I hit over 2 with the 600 in a really inefficient XXXL air cooled hood?

Apologies for the poor photography,
Not a single doubt on the quality or you ability as a grower… i think that has the largest bearing.

Speaking from a practice point of view whats best is what works for that grower… from a technical and scientific view GPW led will destroy HID in the right hands.

And above that spectral effects and plant morphology is something that is so major and yet so little is known by so many growers on the subject.

Tasty Buds

Tasty Buds

Now i have some reading to do… but you realize that was a 1000w de HPS vs 600w LED. What was adjusted was the spectrums and ppfd… skimming i did not see efficiency.

Watt for watt just no way a HID can compare to LED. What does compare is the spectral makeup and that’s something being tweaked in LED and with tubable spectrums coming out LED will eventually be able to maximize all stages of growth
I have some time before I'll be back on the commercial end (hopefully sooner than later) I'm keeping an open mind, as if I could double what I'm yielding now, hell yeah I'd make the switch.
I am noticing more, and more commercial grows are going LED.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I have some time before I'll be back on the commercial end (hopefully sooner than later) I'm keeping an open mind, as if I could double what I'm yielding now, hell yeah I'd make the switch.
I am noticing more, and more commercial grows are going LED.
Thing is its a real learning curve on the switch… so much more than most anticipate and they get caught iff gaurd how much it changes the needs of environment and grow room conditions. The link @Dr.Green55 gave makes a stong argument to look at tuneable spectrum LEDs and the only one i see worth it right now is the synce LED brand. But that opens a whole gigantic cans of worms in other adjustments needing made.

Honestly i teat on a small scale before going balls out commercial on a switch feom HID to LED cause the cost of a few crops learning curve may just make it not worth it

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
Now i have some reading to do… but you realize that was a 1000w de HPS vs 600w LED. What was adjusted was the spectrums and ppfd… but was lacking a full spectrum LED at by first glance and skimming i did not see efficiency.

Watt for watt just no way a HID can compare to LED. What doe compare is the spectral makeup and that’s something being tweaked in LED and with tubable spectrums coming out LED will eventually be able to maximize all stages of growth
Agree fully. In fact that day is arriving and I believe can far surpass hid in every respect

I think ir t5 + LED is better complexity that can't be easily duplicated

Hid is great 👍. But targeted light is better. I'm convinced of it and far superior cool control = Hormone factory ... Custom penetration for the situation....

Too many upside not to use

I'm by no means saying ditch the light someone been using for decades... But learn and open up the possibility... Tinker and you might find what is right for the grow operation

Last edited:
Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
That paper noted blue spectrum 400-500 had a higher thc content but lower yield.
Yeah I try to stay away from the blue 💙💙💙 unless it's just veggies. Even later veggies I want under full spectrum and 660s. Ir...

It's a trade off for sure

3500k-4000k max bubba. Depends on the cultivato

But I don't think of LED through the same lens of grams per Watt like most... I look at it as science experiment of sorts. What is possible.

Last edited:
Moe.Red

Moe.Red

So full spectrum blue leaning veg, full spectrum red leaning early mid flower and high blue mod red and low green finish… thats my thoughts but im not saying why lol
I'd show you the phone app but not connected to my lights at the moment. Full tunability without loss of PPFD. Each channel has it's own driver and has Far Red and IR too. Way too fun my man.

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
I'd show you the phone app but not connected to my lights at the moment. Full tunability without loss of PPFD. Each channel has it's own driver and has Far Red and IR too. Way too fun my man.
Yeah I saw one's like that al also but we're regular ceiling lights... Wonder about the output efficiently. Just as good as the lm301 or close???

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Yeah I saw one's like that al also but we're regular ceiling lights... Wonder about the output efficiently. Just as good as the lm301 or close???
On paper close. but I have not started my measurements yet, just got them installed.

I'm interested to see what happens since there are separate channels / drivers, you probably will not be running at max on any of them. That should theoretically improve efficiency. We shall see.

Top Bottom