LED light vs HPS light yield / watt

• Thread starter GrowUp777
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Ponky

Ponky

Well they look good. But I want about 2 or 3 pulling under 1000 watts. Hopefully a pair. Those look too big for my space.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
I do know there is some quality to be had from some of the smaller producers, broken coast is a great example, but they are priced way out of the market for me. In no world will I ever pay $15-16 a gram for weed. I don't care how good it is.
That said, absolutely everything I've smoked from a legal dispensary so far, has been weak flarf.
Meh.. ill always grow my own. Fuck that system entirely imho. It's a stolen industry run by and profiting govt suits now. They can all pound sand as far as im concerned.

I can't speak to what some of the big LP"s are doing or buying to pass along, but some of these newer smaller micro grower 2000-sq ft and under Here in Canada are growing some amazing stuff, they never invested a million to grow junk, or just garbage heavy strains, they are growing all the same top shelf stains as everyone else, and they get paid by quality. but your right there is definitely some growing garbage, I think over time your going to see that stuff pushed out as more of these micro guy come on-line,

Dr.Green55

Dr.Green55

I do know there is some quality to be had from some of the smaller producers, broken coast is a great example, but they are priced way out of the market for me. In no world will I ever pay $15-16 a gram for weed. I don't care how good it is.
That said, absolutely everything I've smoked from a legal dispensary so far, has been weak flarf.
Meh.. ill always grow my own. Fuck that system entirely imho. It's a stolen industry run by and profiting govt suits now. They can all pound sand as far as im concerned.
Yeah I have no idea what the prices are at the liquor store I have not bought any what so ever, out this way from what I have heard the micro guy is only get around 3-3.50 a gram for their top stuff.

Madmax

Madmax

Made me look into that light .here in aust..$1189.00 is a very competitive price.

Spiderfarmer has approached me to use one of there lights to do a grow diary.maybe i will ask them if i can use this fixture 😃.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Yeah I have no idea what the prices are at the liquor store I have not bought any what so ever, out this way from what I have heard the micro guy is only get around 3-3.50 a gram for their top stuff.

Frankster

Frankster

Never trust a doctor who's plants have died.
Supporter
What space are you lighting? I personally detest mars but that doesn’t mean they dont work
Agree whole heart. It will get the job done but I don't want to deter someone else who's looking for a bargain.

Personally I think it's a number diodes game and type... Then it's running hotter than a better match unit that will probably have a longer lifespan

Plus I don't think 3000k plus 5000k is going to perform like 3500k or 3800k or 4000k would...

I can't say I'm 100% sure but there's got to be a tradeoff

Last edited:
Ponky

Ponky

Agree whole heart. It will get the job done but I don't want to deter someone else who's looking for a bargain.

Personally I think it's a number diodes game and type... Then it's running hotter than a better match unit that will probably have a longer lifespan

Plus I don't think 3000k plus 5000k is going to perform like 3500k or 3800k or 4000k would...

I also have to consider the downsizing of how many circuits i have open. Need 2 lights and fans on a single 15 amp circuit. And they have to ship to Canada.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Is that the place in the city? if it is I think thats one of places running in the grey area , I don't know where they get there stuff from, as far as I know I think the license micro grower has to sell to the large LP's or they can apply or something to sell direct to the liquor stores for bit more money.
No it's a Canada wide group This is their header Delivery is $5

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Wish we could find that black hash in a menu in the states!
Ya it looks nice I haven't tried any yet, But I might place an order for a gram or 2...min order is $50...my wife found out she can't eat chocolate any more at night. I was making choc eatables for sleep meds and I now have to make some gummies for her instead. I ordered some MCT oil, lectin, jello & some knox gelatine but it won't be here until Tuesday, I'd have to make up a $50 order some how......hmmmmm

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
I'm pretty sure that's a grey market dispensary there @PipeCarver. Not a legal one. We have those here too, tons of them. Way cheaper then govt stores and they actually have quality product and better selection.
The legal dispensaries all list which farm the product comes from.

growsince79

growsince79

Almost all the new leds, including HLG and SF use 3000k + 5000k + red/far red.

Frankster

Frankster

Never trust a doctor who's plants have died.
Supporter
Almost all the new leds, including HLG and SF use 3000k + 5000k + red/far red.
Yes 👍 I think the diode numbers and ratio are little different. Some run hotter and more watts per diode or redder than others.

If it's leaning towards red ♥️ I think it's alright but too much blue get stretch out and not very much frosting

That's where I think having exactly the right 👍 color comes into place. Cause the cheapest is throwing different lights at angle and blending it...

If I was going bargain I would take quality over end weight... Everytime. Leaning into red 🍒 is that ticket. But it's not a perfect solution

Last edited:
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Yes 👍 I think the diode numbers and ratio are little different. Some run hotter and more watts per diode or redder than others.

If it's leaning towards red ♥️ I think it's alright but too much blue get stretch out and not very much frosting

That's where I think having exactly the right 👍 color comes into place. Cause the cheapest is throwing different lights at angle and blending it...

If I was going bargain I would take quality over end weight... Everytime. Leaning into red 🍒 is that ticket. But it's not a perfect solution
This is where efficacy of a fixture becomes almost a moot point to an extent… why? Because different spectrums of diodes are more/less efficient than others.

Red is more efficient than blue so in a blue leaning spectrum the efficiency of the fixture is lower. But that does not mean its any vut a lesser quality.

Then add to this not only is the fixture efficacy a consideration ut also the photosynthetic ability of the plants is also a consideration where again red is generally considered by almost all to be the winner with blue being a close second and green being the least by a large margin. BUT….. and its a big but (like massive BUT… like put BUT on steriods kinda BUT)

The photosynthetic efficacy of a spectrum (not fixture but both do) changes as intensity changes… at 1000ppfd green is the most photosynthetically efficient spectrum…. YES YOU READ THAT RIGHT PPL.

I feel many manufacturers loaded up on red, far red to bolster efficacy ratings and have exaggerated the importance of far red to further use as a marketing tool to justify the method they use to increase efficacy.

Now add to that plants have different receptors for each spectrum that all have their own photosynthetic rates and saturation points that can change by genetics, stage of growth and even structure ( which can change based on the spectral ratios given making it even more complex)

The spectral ratio info on photomorphology and photosynthesis is in its infancy and it gets very very complex and there is still soooo much to learn.

TLRD: Efficacy should not be the sole decision on a purchase… and Aqua wears a tinfoil hat

Latest posts

Top Bottom