LED light vs HPS light yield / watt

• Thread starter GrowUp777
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
growsince79

growsince79

This is where efficacy of a fixture becomes almost a moot point to an extent… why? Because different spectrums of diodes are more/less efficient than others.

Red is more efficient than blue so in a blue leaning spectrum the efficiency of the fixture is lower. But that does not mean its any vut a lesser quality.

Then add to this not only is the fixture efficacy a consideration ut also the photosynthetic ability of the plants is also a consideration where again red is generally considered by almost all to be the winner with blue being a close second and green being the least by a large margin. BUT….. and its a big but (like massive BUT… like put BUT on steriods kinda BUT)

The photosynthetic efficacy of a spectrum (not fixture but both do) changes as intensity changes… at 1000ppfd green is the most photosynthetically efficient spectrum…. YES YOU READ THAT RIGHT PPL.

I feel many manufacturers loaded up on red, far red to bolster efficacy ratings and have exaggerated the importance of far red to further use as a marketing tool to justify the method they use to increase efficacy.

Now add to that plants have different receptors for each spectrum that all have their own photosynthetic rates and saturation points that can change by genetics, stage of growth and even structure ( which can change based on the spectral ratios given making it even more complex)

The spectral ratio info on photomorphology and photosynthesis is in its infancy and it gets very very complex and there is still soooo much to learn.

TLRD: Efficacy should not be the sole decision on a purchase… and Aqua wears a tinfoil hat
Agree not all par is created equal. I'm noticing a lot of stretch since using the ac infinity with the 660+730mn. Almost like they were under hps. Still too soon to say for sure because I expected this cross to be tall. The 3000k boards alone seem to make big buds but fry the leaves it they get too much. 3000+4000k works good. The 3000k + 5000K + 660nm works good. The 730nm is what concerns me.

Frankster

Frankster

Never trust a doctor who's plants have died.
Supporter
This is where efficacy of a fixture becomes almost a moot point to an extent… why? Because different spectrums of diodes are more/less efficient than others.

Red is more efficient than blue so in a blue leaning spectrum the efficiency of the fixture is lower. But that does not mean its any vut a lesser quality.

Then add to this not only is the fixture efficacy a consideration ut also the photosynthetic ability of the plants is also a consideration where again red is generally considered by almost all to be the winner with blue being a close second and green being the least by a large margin. BUT….. and its a big but (like massive BUT… like put BUT on steriods kinda BUT)

The photosynthetic efficacy of a spectrum (not fixture but both do) changes as intensity changes… at 1000ppfd green is the most photosynthetically efficient spectrum…. YES YOU READ THAT RIGHT PPL.

I feel many manufacturers loaded up on red, far red to bolster efficacy ratings and have exaggerated the importance of far red to further use as a marketing tool to justify the method they use to increase efficacy.

Now add to that plants have different receptors for each spectrum that all have their own photosynthetic rates and saturation points that can change by genetics, stage of growth and even structure ( which can change based on the spectral ratios given making it even more complex)

The spectral ratio info on photomorphology and photosynthesis is in its infancy and it gets very very complex and there is still soooo much to learn.

TLRD: Efficacy should not be the sole decision on a purchase… and Aqua wears a tinfoil hat
Interesting information Agree especially with that end part...

I mean only ten years ago I was just getting to the point where I thought it was feasible and the diode before them had to be top tiers and they went from 2 Watt bulbs to five and even ten and twenty....

Now it's like [email protected]. So lot's evolution. Don't get me started on cob's ECT. So study of how the technology evolution is 🗝️ to make good 👍 choice

Samsung really brought the technology forward in a really important way

Especially important for a bigger operation. And the understanding of basic principles

There's a lot of variation still

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
@Aqua Man should reach out to Samsung and offer some partnership to give them feedback from independent growers and get us a good rate on building units...

I'd love that one 😆

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
There working with places like NASA and pot isn't probably even legal in south Korea. But I believe most of their current sales are big into cannabis..

For the cutting ✂️ edge stuff...

It's an emerging technology. Just thinking about how much energy can be saved with effency gain's in street lights alone.. billion's. Possible trillions maybe

Electric ⚡ isn't cheap everywhere in the world

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
That's probably part of the reason why we're bringing home chip production again and getting back into the business...

West doesn't want to be caught being dependent upon Asia for the source materials anymore

It's a national security thing

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

@Aqua Man should reach out to Samsung and offer some partnership to give them feedback from independent growers and get us a good rate on building units...

I'd love that one 😆
Lol i only have 2 hands. Working on these systems and have a few other things in mind. So many cookie jars to little hands. Besides there are others much better equipped to do so

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
I said before Google was a thing and I was just using it and thought about investing...

Or Amazon... A book store???

I really think Chip producers and builders are going to LED the next economy along with other low energy devices. Solar panels wind ECT...

If the west doesn't get on board they will be left behind

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
Humans are not ready for globalization… to much greed in this world
It's true what you said but that won't 🛑 them bubba. I think it's going to get worse before it's better

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
The only one trying to stop globalization is currently Putin and I don't like his chances TBH

Certainly not a fan. I liked our chances before the plagues and current order of business...

But it's is what it is...

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Agree not all par is created equal. I'm noticing a lot of stretch since using the ac infinity with the 660+730mn. Almost like they were under hps. Still too soon to say for sure because I expected this cross to be tall. The 3000k boards alone seem to make big buds but fry the leaves it they get too much. 3000+4000k works good. The 3000k + 5000K + 660nm works good. The 730nm is what concerns me.
Yes 100% inline with the science brother… 👌

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
I like my chances on the north side of the mountain if it ever comes... But I'm hopeful the world economy doesn't collapse...

Price of wheat in Sudan has triple... People are dying for no reason.. because of a war somewhere else they make it.. babies...

The real problem right now is war... The Nuclear type again.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

The only one trying to stop globalization is currently Putin and I don't like his chances TBH

Certainly not a fan. I liked our chances before the plagues and current order of business...

But it's is what it is...
My issue is it puts us in a place for a global dictatorship.

Personally i feel until humankind can put aside their ability to see one another as different in any way shape or form and have no need to arm themselves against each other in any way shape or form we are not ready.

We cant even do this is a country nevermind a community anymore. Imo we were better off as small communities working together for common goals. Until we can di that as a race i see globalism as a danger.

Queue tinfoil hat

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
My issue is it puts us in a place for a global dictatorship.

Personally i feel until humankind can put aside their ability to see one another as different in any way shape or form and have no need to arm themselves against each other in any way shape or form we are not ready.

We cant even do this is a country nevermind a community anymore. Imo we were better off as small communities working together for common goals. Until we can di that as a race i see globalism as a danger.

Queue tinfoil hat
👍 Agree fully. But what I'm saying is this.. what Putin calls de globalization is de-nazificatin.... And send his young boys to die and kill for it...

There's got to be some sort of middle road somewhere... Maybe technology will mature and nations can learn to live with it peacefully.. one has to hope. So much insecurities in the world these days..

Not sure and way beyond any of my control. But I don't mind eating 🐻 if that's what I need to do.

PXL 20220709 174640315
Last edited:
Cashmeh

Cashmeh

I like my chances on the north side of the mountain if it ever comes... But I'm hopeful the world economy doesn't collapse...

Price of wheat in Sudan has triple... People are dying for no reason.. because of a war somewhere else they make it.. babies...

The real problem right now is war... The Nuclear type again.

There is no problem that wasnt designed for us. Blackrock and Vanguard do it in plain sight, and we as Consumers fund their every endeavor. We actually love their brands, and find ourselves in one of their cults somehow. There is no one who says, I need nothing they have, and thats what we need more of. Our greed for things we dont need, pushes their desire for more. We give them power, then they cause choas so they can fix it. We are the problem, they are the answer.
If a nuke is launched, its because its profitable and theres nothing we will ever be able to do to stop them from making money, as long as we work for them, and buy their shit.
Look into who owns coke and pepsi, its the same people who own ford and gm, the same people who own bp and exon. They profit as long as you spend money, it doesnt even matter who you buy from.
Anyways. . .. long story short, back to the led bullshit and their fucking forced innovation. They can suck my left nut. It would have been nice if they would have spent these billions upgrading our electrical grids, making my hids cheaper, but no. . fucking need new factorys. . . .like that makes sense for efficiency.
Anyways just left walmart with a damn halogen 100w pack of 4 bulbs. They dont even sell any hids brighter at my store, all leds. The woman is painting and needed a bright light. . .50 bucks for a 1000 luman led spotlight. .fuck that, the one i ordered only uses 500 watts, and was 8 bucks. . . She said she needed light, not a cheap electric bill. Oh yea, I pass this on to the weed growing.. . cough overpriced garbage. Cut the prices in 1/3rd and id love to buy all the leds ya have. Yet at this rate, the price stays the same, they just become more adjustable lol. . .dumb . . rant over

Last edited:
Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
I've been waiting all day for that fucker to show up so I can put a hole in his ass...

Cashmeh

Cashmeh

👍 Agree fully. But what I'm saying is this.. what Putin calls de globalization is de-nazificatin.... And send his young boys to die and kill for it...

There's got to be some sort of middle road somewhere... Maybe technology will mature and nations can learn to live with it peacefully.. one has to hope. So much insecurities in the world these days..

Not sure and way beyond any of my control. But I don't mind eating 🐻 if that's what I need to do.
Putan and Elon eat lunch with Biden and Obama once a month, while Trump and Hillary sit side by side joking about how dumb the entire world is. Vanguards monthly private meetings is where id like to be a fly on the wall.
If you seen it on the TV, you were suppose to see it. They all work together, no leader can lead without being one of them. They destroy all competition. . everyone you love and hate, all work together to keep you, busy doing things for them, or at least thinking about what they want you to think about. All of it leads to the same path. .

growsince79

growsince79

There is no problem that wasnt designed for us. Blackrock and Vanguard do it in plain sight, and we as Consumers fund their every endeavor. We actually love their brands, and find ourselves in one of their cults somehow. There is no one who says, I need nothing they have, and thats what we need more of. Our greed for things we dont need, pushes their desire for more. We give them power, then they cause choas so they can fix it. We are the problem, they are the answer.
If a nuke is launched, its because its profitable and theres nothing we will ever be able to do to stop them from making money, as long as we work for them, and buy their shit.
Look into who owns coke and pepsi, its the same people who own ford and gm, the same people who own bp and exon. They profit as long as you spend money, it doesnt even matter who you buy from.
Anyways. . .. long story short, back to the led bullshit and their fucking forced innovation. They can suck my left nut. It would have been nice if they would have spent these billions upgrading our electrical grids, making my hids cheaper, but no. . fucking need new factorys. . . .like that makes sense for efficiency.
Anyways just left walmart with a damn halogen 100w pack of 4 bulbs. They dont even sell any hids brighter at my store, all leds. The woman is painting and needed a bright light. . .50 bucks for a 1000 luman led spotlight. .fuck that, the one i ordered only uses 500 watts, and was 8 bucks. . . She said she needed light, not a cheap electric bill. Oh yea, I pass this on to the weed growing.. . cough overpriced garbage. Cut the prices in 1/3rd and id love to buy all the leds ya have. Yet at this rate, the price stays the same, they just become more adjustable lol. . .dumb . . rant over
Actually, the price has gone down and the quality up since I bought my first led. Paid $1.50/w 2 years ago, verses $1/w for a much better light last month. I'll probably upgrade again in a couple years.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Not sure and way beyond any of my control
The entire world is a propaganda war… no side is innocent and non are right.

If you think about it philosophically. If globalism will never work, which i don’t believe. Its just a matter how much humankind has to suffer and what events have to happen before we can if we do not extinct ourselves.

Then its a fight for separation and domination as it always has been and thats the cold hard truth. You cannot impose on ppl to not be greedy, or remove feelings and we remain in a state if survival of the fittest for however long it take for every individual in the world to change those. It will change when we need each other to survive. Just like a country becomes united under war.

All we can do is our part. Im by no means saying i do my part when i say that. But i have managed to learn a few very hard lessons in my life that changed the way i try to view things.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Actually, the price has gone down and the quality up since I bought my first led. Paid $1.50/w 2 years ago, verses $1/w for a much better light last month. I'll probably upgrade again in a couple years.
Absolutely agree… supply and demand

Top Bottom