LED RAGE!!

• Thread starter 1diesel1
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Terpz719

Terpz719

@FourthCity brought up a couple of interesting points that occurred to me. Actually I have seen a bit of what 1diesel1 initially brought up within the HID world. I've seen commercial growers getting into fights over gavita HPS v phantom HPS. Ditto over nutes. Which brings me to my second point.

Referring to hyped up claims, I haven't seen folks getting upset about the yield claims made by seed breeders. I'm not saying they're bogus, but there should be some fine print about those yields resulting from healthy plants grown in an optimal environment by an experienced grower.

I started reading about growing about two years before I was able to, so luckily I was warned about things like yields and bogus led claims before I got into it. I'm a geek like that, and know most people do minimal if any research before jumping into stuff. I love being part of this community, learning and sharing. I hope that we can continue to do so with kindness and rememberance that we're all different with different wants, budgets, and goals.

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

I grew this under a LED flashlight with 2 AAA batteries
20190629 132445

😎

detroitjoe

detroitjoe

What’s the deal with the hostility between LED growers and there lights?

LED growers constantly get in pissing matches over who’s light is better.

I find it extremely childish and annoying.

I can’t recall any hardcore (Lol) HPS or CMH growers arguing over who’s lights are better.

thoughts............................?
LED users can kiss my ass!
Just kidding.

LED lights produce digital frequencies while
Conventual systems produce frequencies that are analog.

BurnzYzBudZz

BurnzYzBudZz

HOWCan.i.helPYOU?
Supporter
Since this is an LED thread 🤣 recommendations for a couple supplemental COB light, roughly 75-100w each reasonably priced DIY kits? Trying to add some supp lighting before flowering. Thanks.
Burnz

Formallyhap

Formallyhap

these apear to be optic 1 ish

Optic 1s get good efficiency ratings, lower than your wattage ask, but it's US stocked. It's not DIY, you can hit around 80 bucks if willing to order from china, but since you said for flower I assumed you are on a time table.

BurnzYzBudZz

BurnzYzBudZz

HOWCan.i.helPYOU?
Supporter
these apear to be optic 1 ish

No I have more than enough time, first full week of veg. Just trying to properly plan before it’s too late. Thanks for the recommendation.
Optic 1s get good efficiency ratings, lower than your wattage ask, but it's US stocked. It's not DIY, you can hit around 80 bucks if willing to order from china, but since you said for flower I assumed you are on a time table.
Thanks for the recommendation. I do have time as it’s only first week of true veg. Just want to get the best out of what I have!👍🏻

Last edited:
Anthem

Anthem

Ok. All the setups are different. Mines different too. What is being proven? There is no accounting for climate or what kind of space or anything. Or creative use of heat.
I believe the original point was to show that it is financially practical to purchase expensive LED's and they will pay for themselves in electrical savings.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I believe the original point was to show that it is financially practical to purchase expensive LED's and they will pay for themselves in electrical savings.

Im arguing your point. there can be other factors affecting the electrical savings. We all have different situations. Even half my lighting electrical costs would be like 20 dollars per lamp. Heat is my big expense here.

Right tool for the job at the right cost is the only way to look at this

bunkerking

bunkerking

Umm, Its actually working out great herefor flowering in my 4x4 tent running it at 400 watts just providing for me and the mrs. I also know quite a few small growers that have switched to the hlg quality leds or similar. The math works out the same if he used 2000 watts or 200 watts....

Prove it then Mr mod.

Do the math.

Explain the savings you get based on your situation.
Because it doesnt here.

So do it. Fine with being wrong but you need to explain it. Not gonna just trust your word.

Anthem

Anthem

Ok so lets take this thru a year of use bunkerking. I am going to compare a growers choice ROI-680 to a gavita 1000e DE fixture. The worst of the LED's I would consider using, meaning the least efficient.
So right off the bat we have 320 watts less use per hour for the light. Lets call it 13 hours a day to allow for the 18/6 of veg. So that adds up to 125 Kilowatt a month. For me that is around $ 17.47 a month. But that is not the real killer for me, it is the cooling cost of the light. 1000 Watt HPS with ballast is around 11,000 btu's. Cooling that off takes 12,000 btu AC, that runs at 10 amps but we have the led offset of say 3000 btu's. So we are only using an additional 8000 btu's for cooling. 12,000 btu pulls 10 amps per the spec on home depot. But we are only using 2/3 of that. so 6.7 amps equals .603 kilowatt an hour. times 13 hours x 30 days = 32.92 a month. Together we have 50.39 x 1 year = 604.68.
I can get the Gavita 1000 e DE for $ 360 a unit ROI-680 $ 925 a unit. Difference of $ 565.00, but we saved 604 the first year. So within a year with just one light the cost of use is lower for the LED. But oh wait we have to plug in a new bulb for the 1000 De in there every 6 months so that cost is say $ 150.00. Wait we are actually ahead by $ 189.00 the first year. That is for 1 light, it just keeps adding up from there.
Here you go bunkerKing

Top Bottom