Lets see your 2020 Outdoor Plants!

• Thread starter Dirtbag
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Frankster

Frankster

Never trust a doctor who's plants have died.
Supporter
When I was a kid in the Midwest, I had a commercial cornfield sitting beyond my backyard, (my playground) the corn there used to grow 9-10 feet tall, and had ears a foot long and two, maybe two and half inches round. The rows, the kernel size, how many and how large was always fascinating too me. Year's later, I found out much of what was behind all of this "big corn", because it wasn't always that way. (I remember small corn as well).

I've been all over the United States, lived in over 30 states over the years, and I've never seen corn like that anywhere, except for growing in that general area. (few hundred square miles) The clay in the dirt has much to do with all of this as well.

Much of that had to deal with genetics, (cultivars grown for specific conditions) and Dekalb Corn hybrid products were passed though the hands of Mosanto, and is now owned by Beyer corporation. The first popular hybrid was DeKalb 404A. As a result, DeKalb was the leader in U.S. hybrid seed corn sales from the mid-1930s until the mid-1970s

What I take from this: Genetics are just so very huge to the "big picture", and I think many Indicas and specifically (In my experience) Kushes dominate this realm, but I'm sure others have their own opinions as well, (and a whole lot more experience than I) but the benefits/drawbacks of different strains simply cannot be ignored in regards to yields, and how those specific cultivars respond/interact in various ecosystems across the world.

Last edited:
Rooke

Rooke

I Agree, I think going early and having good solid genetics are lynchpins to accomplishing anything like this, all the other factors are certainly necessary, but if you don't have those two components, your already sunk, and results will be limited.

My suggestion to Rooke, for what it's worth, would be to explore those options, maybe even run a few different "huge" cultivars, and see how things pan out next time around.,. (and big pots of course). I suspect some strains will get "huge" in San Diego, and other's will get "huge" in BC, but will likely be somewhat limited if they were in reverse settings.
Hey there I think I’m kinda maxed out for my season length and pot size for my area but I haven’t explored bigger options yet and great lakes is close to the upper peninsula so we are kinda equal latitude wise now she has grown organically for sometime now and I’m still growing with bottled nutes but I’m willing to give 100,s a try next year can you give me some idea of strains you would consider big cultivars please then I’ll research them over the winter I typically drop my beans mid April and start harden last week of May I may have to start them a bit earlier than normal but I’m open to suggestions I’m allowed 23 plants this coming year so I can play!!!

Rooke

Rooke

Hey there I think I’m kinda maxed out for my season length and pot size for my area but I haven’t explored bigger options yet and great lakes is close to the upper peninsula so we are kinda equal latitude wise now she has grown organically for sometime now and I’m still growing with bottled nutes but I’m willing to give 100,s a try next year can you give me some idea of strains you would consider big cultivars please then I’ll research them over the winter I typically drop my beans mid April and start harden last week of May I may have to start them a bit earlier than normal but I’m open to suggestions I’m allowed 23 plants this coming year so I can play!!!
I really appreciate your input and without folks like yourself and greatlakes offering advice I wouldn’t be where I’m at now. I don’t associate with other growers around here locally I keep to myself and this is the only social media I’m on no fb etc. At all. I like my bush grow I’ve been expanding it every year thanks y’all!!!

shaganja

shaganja

Rook, are you a u.p. farmer? I started end of May outside, with plants less than a foot tall. Right now, in my raised bed, I have some pretty big ones. My fire o.g. will for sure produce a pound by itself. That's big for me! Am halfway between st. Ignace and Sault st. Marie.
IMG 20200919 1600184

shaganja

shaganja

I really appreciate your input and without folks like yourself and greatlakes offering advice I wouldn’t be where I’m at now. I don’t associate with other growers around here locally I keep to myself and this is the only social media I’m on no fb etc. At all. I like my bush grow I’ve been expanding it every year thanks y’all!!!
If your a yooper, would love to connect, and bullshit about the new market. Havent secured a garage, pole barn yet, but want to get all these local farmers together, to meet and get to know each other, and have a "grow and tell" share each other's smoke, and bullshit. seems up here, there are a bunch of backyard farmers, that have no idea each other exists. That would be cool if could get them all together. Where you located?

Rooke

Rooke

Rook, are you a u.p. farmer? I started end of May outside, with plants less than a foot tall. Right now, in my raised bed, I have some pretty big ones. My fire o.g. will for sure produce a pound by itself. That's big for me! Am halfway between st. Ignace and Sault st. Marie.View attachment 1035324
Rook, are you a u.p. farmer? I started end of May outside, with plants less than a foot tall. Right now, in my raised bed, I have some pretty big ones. My fire o.g. will for sure produce a pound by itself. That's big for me! Am halfway between st. Ignace and Sault st. Marie.View attachment 1035324
I’m in Canada near Kingston Ontario

Rooke

Rooke

If your a yooper, would love to connect, and bullshit about the new market. Havent secured a garage, pole barn yet, but want to get all these local farmers together, to meet and get to know each other, and have a "grow and tell" share each other's smoke, and bullshit. seems up here, there are a bunch of backyard farmers, that have no idea each other exists. That would be cool if could get them all together. Where you located?
Love the green house man! I’m debating a hoop house for next year and maybe light dep some of the buds I’ve seen here are fantastic looking! Nothing really big to start with I’ll still have more room in the bush next year just need a bit more growth cover to hide the plants.

shaganja

shaganja

Rooke, if you want, I have some beans from last year. Phone home from bodhi. Crossed to doc greenthumb, iranian. Its fast. It finishes end of aug/end of sept. Last year, she was done middle of sept. It is also a beast! I pulled alot of weight from her. She gets really big! We got some rain early last year, and she was so big and dense, she got some mold. Only downside. But she is an outdoor strain, so will have good results. She is used to the climate, so will have much vigor! She is pretty floral, from the wookie side, and o.g.ish, from the triangle side. has those three finger triangle phenos. And is potent! She can make you stare at the wall! And love every minute of it! Lol I have beans from each girl. The triangle leaners, and the wookie leaners. The wookie is the beast. The triangle leaner of course isn't. You said you are in Quebec? There is a Quebec seedbank that has a bunch of fast strains. I forget the name.

shaganja

shaganja

Rooke, if you want, I have some beans from last year. Phone home from bodhi. Crossed to doc greenthumb, iranian. Its fast. It finishes end of aug/end of sept. Last year, she was done middle of sept. It is also a beast! I pulled alot of weight from her. She gets really big! We got some rain early last year, and she was so big and dense, she got some mold. Only downside. But she is an outdoor strain, so will have good results. She is used to the climate, so will have much vigor! She is pretty floral, from the wookie side, and o.g.ish, from the triangle side. has those three finger triangle phenos. And is potent! She can make you stare at the wall! And love every minute of it! Lol I have beans from each girl. The triangle leaners, and the wookie leaners. The wookie is the beast. The triangle leaner of course isn't. You said you are in Quebec? There is a Quebec seedbank that has a bunch of fast strains. I forget the name.
Quebec cannabis seeds

Rooke

Rooke

Hey thanks for the offer I live in south eastern Ontario near Kingston

RookieBC

RookieBC

5 months of work gone in 24 hours. After 48 hours of straight wind and rains as bad as I've seen in 37 years my plants went from totally healthy to being murdered by me with mold everywhere none last night and covered in grey mold on buds and Black on stalks. Nothing I could even do to salvage anything. I showered and went to the store and when i I got back to spray it all pistols had gone form white to amber, and mold was on buds it wasn't on an hour before. So my attempt at growing outdoor medicine for my friends fighting cancer is all wrapped up in garbage bags in my trash can. I spent a good chunk of change on this to try and help out some friends and suprise them with free medicine. Instead ingot laid off permanently at work after sitting around being told I was getting called back for 3 months, then broke my tooth in half a week after my dental ended, and spent money on a tent with everything but the lights and I can't grab the smoking deal I was being offered because my tooth needs to be fixed. Fuck 2020 worst season ever and year, and summer. I hope you all have way better luck than I did. I'll be under blankets in my closet crying till next summer. Enjoy all the fabulous smoke I've seen on here

Top Bottom