Let's see your 2023 outdoor grow!

• Thread starter shaganja
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
socks4free

socks4free

Definitely powdery mildew. It's pretty late in the season so gnicks suggestion might be best in your situation.
I get wpm where I live just being in the woods trees block some of the morning sun and all. What I do is spray dr zymes (all season but also if I see a spot of wpm).

Also at harvest I have been giving my buds a gentle wash in a bucket of luke warm water(cold is bad and makes the trichomes brittle) with about a cup of hydrogen peroxide in it. I throw enough buds to cover the surface of the bucket dunk them a few times gently then pull them out after a couple mins and rinse them off with the gentlest setting my shower head can do (still luke warm water) This gets a ton of dirt and other stuff off the bud that accumulates during the grow season naturally.

The water after I pull the buds out is so disgusting with bugs, dirt, mildew, and other organic materials and I haven't noticed any negative affects to the end results of my harvest so I have been doing it every time now basically.

Thediscobandit

Thediscobandit

This whole washing the buds thing is quite foreign and quite frankly disturbs me. But hey, enough people seem to be doing it so must be something to it.

I just dont see what problems you're correcting by washing the buds. Seems to me more risk for something to go wrong than any advantage gained.

MisterHelix

MisterHelix

Definitely powdery mildew. It's pretty late in the season so gnicks suggestion might be best in your situation.
I get wpm where I live just being in the woods trees block some of the morning sun and all. What I do is spray dr zymes (all season but also if I see a spot of wpm).

Also at harvest I have been giving my buds a gentle wash in a bucket of luke warm water(cold is bad and makes the trichomes brittle) with about a cup of hydrogen peroxide in it. I throw enough buds to cover the surface of the bucket dunk them a few times gently then pull them out after a couple mins and rinse them off with the gentlest setting my shower head can do (still luke warm water) This gets a ton of dirt and other stuff off the bud that accumulates during the grow season naturally.

The water after I pull the buds out is so disgusting with bugs, dirt, mildew, and other organic materials and I haven't noticed any negative affects to the end results of my harvest so I have been doing it every time now basically.

This whole washing the buds thing is quite foreign and quite frankly disturbs me. But hey, enough people seem to be doing it so must be something to it.

I just dont see what problems you're correcting by washing the buds. Seems to me more risk for something to go wrong than any advantage gained.
I don’t know about washing. I have never washed buds. I’m not against it, but I also don’t need any potentially unnecessary steps in harvesting if I don’t need to. Guess I could try.

I spend a fair amount of time staring at various things at 10x-100x through the stereomicroscope. I’m surprised how little foreign matter is visible on fresh harvested bud.

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
I don’t know about washing. I have never washed buds. I’m not against it, but I also don’t need any potentially unnecessary steps in harvesting if I don’t need to. Guess I could try.

I spend a fair amount of time staring at various things at 10x-100x through the stereomicroscope. I’m surprised how little foreign matter is visible on fresh harvested bud.
yes bud wash or more like washing the branches, don’t be worried about damage as i’m probably more “rough” with washing than most.. if you can afford it, just use a mix of peroxide and water, at 7-10% strength but anything 5% or above is ideal.. use regular size garbage cans, 1 with the mix, the other 2 with just plain water, dip the washed branch in both with water after a few swirls and let branches sit still in peroxide mix 1-2 mins after.. so do a few at a time, but clean wash one at a time.,
hang in yard fit a few hours before your dying process begins..
i hang from trees, cloths line, lay on top of screens doors..

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
yes bud wash or more like washing the branches, don’t be worried about damage as i’m probably more “rough” with washing than most.. if you can afford it, just use a mix of peroxide and water, at 7-10% strength but anything 5% or above is ideal.. use regular size garbage cans, 1 with the mix, the other 2 with just plain water, dip the washed branch in both with water after a few swirls and let branches sit still in peroxide mix 1-2 mins after.. so do a few at a time, but clean wash one at a time.,
also get tech grade peroxide, the strength/power will be effective for a good 30 mins or so, food grade won’t last 10 mins..
regular exchange your cleaning pails (just the water ones)..

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter

I’ve never wash my buds, either, helix! I’m probably too lazy to start, and I’ve never been to persnickety about what I put into my body anyway! But I don’t fuck around with mold. I am from the, if it doesn’t kill you, it just makes you stronger, school!😆 I will never be confused with a Connie sewer!

Madbud

Madbud

Peroxide needs oxygen to activate, i prefer dunking over soaking, then soak in water a couple minutes to rinse. All anyone has to do is spritz a little 3% on a spot of budrot to see the effect.

Captspaulding

Captspaulding

What’s the matter? Don’t like clowns? 🤡
Supporter
I’ve never wash my buds, either, helix! I’m probably too lazy to start, and I’ve never been to persnickety about what I put into my body anyway! But I don’t fuck around with mold. I am from the, if it doesn’t kill you, it just makes you stronger, school!😆 I will never be confused with a Connie sewer!
I can see you glowing from here chucky hahaaha

Jimmie

Jimmie

Never washed buds before either, probably won’t start to.

B

bguwop420

I have an oscilate fan at the bottom of tent it's blowing around the area underneath whrre the buds are hanging, but I'm seeing some ppl say point the fan at the floor ..what do u guys do

Thediscobandit

Thediscobandit

I may spare exactly one cola for a bud-rinsing shenanigans experiment this time around. But like i said, i just dont see the advantage of adding a step in to the drying process, especially a step that involves the bud getting wetter.

Im a drying minimalist however. No trimming or fancy racks for me. I just hang the ladies upside down in the garage for awhile.

socks4free

socks4free

Do you ever have real bad storms where the rain and wind drag your bottom branches or the whole plant down to the ground?

We got a lot of rain here this season and alot of my plants have dirt on them from that alone and then above them and to the side there are a bunch of trees and stuff falls out of the trees onto my plants so the wash gets all that stuff off the buds so you don't get cracking and popping when smoking it. It also gets rid of any last spots of wpm that are still on the plants.

Also yes I basically just dip the entire branch as gnicks says however i didn't want to use 3 buckets so I swapped the two plain water buckets for weak shower head spray to rinse them off.

I have limited drying space so I have been growing a few autos with my photo plants and have been harvesting one plant at a time so I end up changing the water after each plant. However after seeing how dirty the water tends to get id suggest changing the water after each plant even if I wasn't harvesting one at a time.

MisterHelix

MisterHelix

Do you ever have real bad storms where the rain and wind drag your bottom branches or the whole plant down to the ground?

We got a lot of rain here this season and alot of my plants have dirt on them from that alone
We do get very heavy rains here, but I do not have the problem of soil splash. I allow no exposed soil under or near my plants, instead a heavy mulch of wheat straw.

My plants branches are heavily trellised / scrogged, so they do not lean to the ground even when soaked and wind blown.

There might be wind-blown dust and other plants pollen and tiny dead gnats and stuff. I don’t think I care too much about that. I guess there could be reside from my neem and bt. Seems like anything that could wash that off would wash off trichomes, yeah? I dunno.

And, maybe, I think I want some of the microbiology to remain alive. Maybe some of these microfauna and bacteria are part of the curing and aging process.

I have considered a light spray with an anti mold agent. Maybe 3% peroxide or maybe proTekt. Mmm.

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
Da goils! Prolly three or four weeks left, give or take! Except, Karen Carpenter! She’s a mold machine and needs to be taken out today!
F2DEEB5D 7B1E 4545 8386 2153F8777A42

Latest posts

Top Bottom