Let's talk about bringing indoor plants out with excessive veg time.

• Thread starter PsillyRabbitOG
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
PsillyRabbitOG

PsillyRabbitOG

Whats your take on root pruning?
just came across this post about " bonsai" mother. Multiple year old plants in the same size pots im using now. Just root prunes em.
It looks like I can have nice short stocky plants 2'-3' for planting in april. Just some swollen ass stems. Instead of re poting a million times i can root prunes em every once ina while and just chop , chop , chop

S

Sto42

I’m doing an experiment right now have the dead harvested plants dead for most part in the 7 lb growbags sitting behind garage. The aren’t getting much sun and will be left outside all winter into spring. I’m hopig they just regrow in spring and begin process all over again with same plant

elduderito

elduderito

I root prune my mother plants to keep them under 40cm - I go up to 1 gallon pots though - I don't go as small pot size as is shown in the bonzai mother plant tutorials... I think for outdoor you will want to build as big/dense of a root ball as possible, transplanting up to as big as you can fill with roots in your given time (I'm guessing minimum 5 gallon). I wouldn't recommend root pruning technique as the plant's growth definitely stalls each time you prune the roots, and you're goal should be to build a big healthy root ball... I would definitely do some LST and/or mainlining

I used to grow outdoor and would put clones outside early June without worrying about the switch from 18/6 indoors to natural outdoor light cycle ... just need to be mindful of hardening them off so they're not too shocked by their new light source (sun) and temperatures...

PsillyRabbitOG

PsillyRabbitOG

That guys swares the root mass just get bigger and healthier after root pruning.
Chopping and training is mandatory. First cuts are today actually.
'

PsillyRabbitOG

PsillyRabbitOG

Sorry for the outdated blurple but it works fine for veg so I use it. The sets are 1 month apart in age*
Set 1-5 is white Siberian set A-E is Caesar ATM im leaning. Toward 5&E for the winners but i still have to see who is female.

A1 2
A3
A4 5
AA b
A C d
A D e
PsillyRabbitOG

PsillyRabbitOG

The stem on WS5 is on track to be a monster water pump.But is that a lil nanner i see? ATM i cannot make my mind up on how tall I want them to grow before i let em bush out. The taller I go the "cooler" I think it will look. Think of (or search)a standard hydrangea "tree".The taller I go the more I have to worry about the frame, supports, stakes and trellis issues. As before mentioned this is going to be the biggest issue at a certain point. At the same time I don't want to top right away because I want as much space under the base as possible. I am thinking about going 18-36 inches up before I bush out.

IMG 20220107 094727 811
Potetial male pre flower
Last edited:
PsillyRabbitOG

PsillyRabbitOG

Im thinking about just using LST to spiral up the main leader instead of topping. I have done this plenty of times to maturity with smaller plants. They probably wouldn't be as strong but with all the extra support im gonna be using it shouldn't be a problem. The only reason im kinda shying away from that thought atm is because I have seen the stem split on the harder turns well after the training is complete.

Ab
flowerdave

flowerdave

I topped mine twice. day 33 and then day 56 with my 7 1/2 month crop jut all the growing tips . that worked out very well with me.

PsillyRabbitOG

PsillyRabbitOG

51 days since the first seeds germinated. Today there is visible hairs on the most mature. I believe she will be the tree for the summer.
There is a chance its pre flowers, more likely not enough light. They are getting 17 hours of light. I didn't want to run more than that but apparently its needed.

Firsthair
PsillyRabbitOG

PsillyRabbitOG

Im around 60 days now. 1/5 original seeds is showing pre flowers. Would this be a good indicator that it will flower a bit earlier than other phenos?

PsillyRabbitOG

PsillyRabbitOG

Everything at this point is getting a full feeding schedule. I cannot believe the diversity between these seeds. Some are just leaps and bounds ahead of others.
I'm not really sure if I want to select the biggest one to be my mother, all of them have the same size stem and some of the shorter ones have great structure. 17 hours of light sure makes some weird looking plants.
They have a growth structure as if they want to go into flower but wont and have almost a stunted growth. At this point I usually have roots busting out the sides of these 1 gallon pot but atm i dont even see a need to transplant since they are so small.

check out the smallest one @ 60 days

Liloll
Lilol
ezenzyme

ezenzyme

my plants always throw pre-flowers, that can happen when your plant is happy and mature regardless of light cycle or going into flower or not. I would keep my lights at seventeen or less and dont mess with them. 17 hours light shouldn't make any weirder plants than 15 or 19 or 22, its what your doing beyond the lighting.
But your stems look rather woody, and those plants are real small for woody stems. How long have they been in those pots? 60 days!!!?!?!?! Transplant them!!!!! If theres not roots outta the sides at day 60 there is something wrong. I up pot outta a gal in a month from actual planting. Your really dont wanna stunt your plants if your hoping for monsters. I would be happy to help you troubleshoot your growing conditions to try and figure out the slow development. After day sixty i am in #5 nursery pots from 1gal.

PsillyRabbitOG

PsillyRabbitOG

Well i'm trying and keep em small on purpose. They have received an oscillating fan when the light is on from day one they are also kept on the dryer side. I let them completely dry out ( just about drooping) before i water again.If I transplanted earlier and gave 22 hours of light they would be huge.
Im trying to keep em small as possible while keeping them healthy.

Im contributing the abnormally small size to genetics and possible below optimal night time soil temps. I would be glad to listen to any advice and trouble shooting is one of my favorite things 😊 i was under the impression that woody stem was exceptionally strong fro the height of the plant.
Giving stronger support. No?
I have 3 gallon and 7 gallon smart pots and soil ready to go for the transplants. Being they they are not even big enough to clone and sex yet i haven't done it.
I want monsters for 8-11 foot monsters not 14-16

Last edited:
flowerdave

flowerdave

just try not to stress them too much or you will end up some hermies

PsillyRabbitOG

PsillyRabbitOG

Thats true for sure. Thats one of the reason I went with regular seeds and not feminized. You think stress is the reason some are so small?

flowerdave

flowerdave

anytime you check a plants growth by either lack of water or leaving in pot too long it will make shorter but even more, with regular seeds the plants that are female can become hermies which should be avoided at all cost. Just keep them happy and all should be well.

Last edited:
flowerdave

flowerdave

Sorry I don't explain well. Ha. Whenever we kept plants in pot too long it stressed them and kept them shorter. Stress induces plants to go hemie regardless if feminized or regular females

PsillyRabbitOG

PsillyRabbitOG

I see. Just really didn't think it was needed because in the past the roots start poking out of the sides and bottoms of these pots when its time to transplant. The only thing done different was use a significant amount of a product called " Pitt moss" as an additive to the soil that I was given as a sample.
I understand stress can = hermies but was under the impression that regular seeds did not have that problem nearly as much. I also thought that was usually related to light.
I guess tomorrow I transplant into 3 gallon air pots.These plants still have about 100 days until they will be in their final hole.

flowerdave

flowerdave

3 months is a long time . I hope you pull this off. it will be a monster for sure if you keep things right.

Latest posts

Top Bottom