Looking for product buying advice.

• Thread starter SC69
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Ponky

Ponky

growsince79

growsince79

More red wouldn't hurt. I will admit that I have contemplated adding some bloom bars and some uvb https://www.migrolight.com/product/migro-uvb-310/ The reason I haven't yet is I've been quite satisfied with bud quality and strength. They do finish slower than they would under my 3000k + 660nm + IR Kingbrite boards.

@scfm69 BTW a 5 x 5 tent is capable of 2 lb harvests easily with 4 - 6 plants, using a longer veg and LST training.
For me, the potency is about the same. But the ones with added hps have less leaf and finish a week sooner and maybe denser bud.

Mugwort

Mugwort

Look for promotional discounts. I’m pretty new to this too.. I think LED is the easiest way for a newbie. Spider Farmer and ViparSpectra make good reasonably priced LED lights. I own the former, a ViparSpectra XS-2000 which I am happy with but I have a 4x4 tent. SpiderFarmer has been running promotions in THCFarmer. Look for promotional discounts! Both ViparSpectra and Gorilla (company that made my tent) gave me like a 20% discount for being a Vet.
To my own detriment a good thing can sometimes seem too good. I have looked at them, and they were also recommended and work great for another user. I know more now of what I’m looking for in a light. I will take a better look. Thank you! I’m happy to hear they treated you well in recognition and thanks for your service.
I want quality but also to save money. What I originally thought I was going to get was this https://shop.pahydroponics.com/vortex-s-line-6-340-cfm-free-shipping/ and the 8” is $302!! I’m looking at AC infinity now, I don’t like that the carbon filter doesn’t have a pre cover like the others I’ve seen but I can just buy one. I think from what I understand that by adding ducts and filters you need more CFM capacity. Probably at least double. The 6” won’t do that.
I have the Infinity Cloudline T4 with their carbon filter and it did come with a dust cover if that is what you are talking about. It was working great until I added a second ViparSpectra XS-2000. I should’ve bought the T6...gets to warm in tent. I have to remove that dust cover every two weeks or so and pound the dust out of it or pump slows down. I live in the desert and it gets real dusty here. It’s a big hassle when you have a SCROG grow, lights hanging in front of you, and the filter in the back of tent! But I’m closer to 70yo now than 60 so everything can be a physical hassle. Good luck in setting up your tent. Better to overkill on light (if you decide LED get variable dimmer knob). Do same with filtration system!

SC69

SC69

Supporter
I have the Infinity Cloudline T4 with their carbon filter and it did come with a dust cover if that is what you are talking about. It was working great until I added a second ViparSpectra XS-2000. I should’ve bought the T6...gets to warm in tent. I have to remove that dust cover every two weeks or so and pound the dust out of it or pump slows down. I live in the desert and it gets real dusty here. It’s a big hassle when you have a SCROG grow, lights hanging in front of you, and the filter in the back of tent! But I’m closer to 70yo now than 60 so everything can be a physical hassle. Good luck in setting up your tent. Better to overkill on light (if you decide LED get variable dimmer knob). Do same with filtration system!
It’s a 5x5 and I got a 6”. I hope it’s enough. If I get nervous about it I’ll probably send it back for the 8” but I can drive myself crazy. I may just live with its results for a while. I’m going to have temperature problems I’m going to have to deal with. I’m in NY. Humidity won’t be a problem in the winter in the house because we have a fire going most days. I’ll probably need AC in the room & humidifier because the heat rises so much. Have to wait and see. Without a fire we keep the heat on 68 so I’ll have to warm it.
I don’t own the house. Mom does and I live in the downstairs flat. The room is in her apartment. She wanted it in the basement. I had to nix that because there’s no way to make it work. Too cool. It’s going to be a learning curve to dial in the atmosphere in the tent. The plan now is to practice when it’s set up before I plant anything. I know the plants will change conditions but I want to have an idea of what I’m working with before a plants life is in the mix. Thank you for the advice and knowledge.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

It’s a 5x5 and I got a 6”. I hope it’s enough. If I get nervous about it I’ll probably send it back for the 8” but I can drive myself crazy. I may just live with its results for a while. I’m going to have temperature problems I’m going to have to deal with. I’m in NY. Humidity won’t be a problem in the winter in the house because we have a fire going most days. I’ll probably need AC in the room & humidifier because the heat rises so much. Have to wait and see. Without a fire we keep the heat on 68 so I’ll have to warm it.
I don’t own the house. Mom does and I live in the downstairs flat. The room is in her apartment. She wanted it in the basement. I had to nix that because there’s no way to make it work. Too cool. It’s going to be a learning curve to dial in the atmosphere in the tent. The plan now is to practice when it’s set up before I plant anything. I know the plants will change conditions but I want to have an idea of what I’m working with before a plants life is in the mix. Thank you for the advice and knowledge.
The biggest change you'll see is when your space is filling up and your plants are transpiring at a high rate. With that said, I don't see humidity being a hard thing for you to control during the winter months. The dry air in the room will help keep your humidity down ... which is important during flowering. My tent stays between 45%-50% without going through extra measures and only spikes during extreme rains when my basement floor gets damp (spring/fall usually). It's not ever happened during a Michigan winter since I've owned this house.

Humidity issues are likely to crop up during the warmer/wetter months, but since you're not setting up in the basement now, that should be an easy thing to control too.

SC69

SC69

Supporter
The biggest change you'll see is when your space is filling up and your plants are transpiring at a high rate. With that said, I don't see humidity being a hard thing for you to control during the winter months. The dry air in the room will help keep your humidity down ... which is important during flowering. My tent stays between 45%-50% without going through extra measures and only spikes during extreme rains when my basement floor gets damp (spring/fall usually). It's not ever happened during a Michigan winter since I've owned this house.

Humidity issues are likely to crop up during the summer months, but since you're not setting up in the basement now, that should be an easy thing to control too.
Yea, I figure I’ll be able to easily control it even in the summer months. The room is air conditioned. I’m still worried about days we don’t have fire and keeping it warm, but I’ll figure it out. I do have a humidifier and a dehumidifier is easy and cheap enough. If i need a small space heater i can do that. Just need a safe one. I’m having a new breaker put in the box and run upstairs so I don’t overload anything. I can run other stuff to help. I’m confused about intake though. None of the kits come with an intake fan (I didn’t buy a kit, all separate and I’m at $1,417). Do I need one? Someone said it comes from the openings in the bottom of the tent but thats closed during flower, right? Will air flow though if I just stick a vent pipe in an empty spot? Sorry if a dumb question. I’m just a fun loving deadhead. Not a horticulturist. lmao.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Yea, I figure I’ll be able to easily control it even in the summer months. The room is air conditioned. I’m still worried about days we don’t have fire and keeping it warm, but I’ll figure it out. I do have a humidifier and a dehumidifier is easy and cheap enough. If i need a small space heater i can do that. Just need a safe one. I’m having a new breaker put in the box and run upstairs so I don’t overload anything. I can run other stuff to help. I’m confused about intake though. None of the kits come with an intake fan (I didn’t buy a kit, all separate and I’m at $1,417). Do I need one? Someone said it comes from the openings in the bottom of the tent but thats closed during flower, right? Will air flow though if I just stick a vent pipe in an empty spot? Sorry if a dumb question. I’m just a fun loving deadhead. Not a horticulturist. lmao.
Your exhaust should pull plenty of air through the intake vents at the bottom of your tent. If you are trying to balance air flow, you can run an inline fan as an intake.

I don't use an intake fan, but my tents are open for "lights on" hours and are only closed for the dark time. I use oscillating fans to move the air. Just don't buy Secret Jardin's oscillating Monkey fans. They only last a few months.

growsince79

growsince79

I started my first indoor grow with less than $20

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

I started my first indoor grow with less than $20
Nice!

Personally, within reason I don't worry about what I spend. It's my hobby. My kids are grown, the bills are paid, and my wife and I are both invested in the grows. We did start small and have expanded. We're always upgrading something ...

Like last night, I ordered some bloom strips for more red/IR light. I have noticed that the extra blue light does effect finishing time. I thought I was imagining it. What you said about it validated what I was seeing. I mentioned buying them to my wife and she was all for it ...

growsince79

growsince79

Nice!

Personally, within reason I don't worry about what I spend. It's my hobby. My kids are grown, the bills are paid, and my wife and I are both invested in the grows. We did start small and have expanded. We're always upgrading something ...

Like last night, I ordered some bloom strips for more red/IR light. I have noticed that the extra blue light does effect finishing time. I thought I was imagining it. What you said about it validated what I was seeing. I mentioned buying them to my wife and she was all for it ...
Link to the red strips? I'd like to get some for when its too hot for hps.

SC69

SC69

Supporter
Nice!

By the time I get to flower I will add some but I actually think it’s in the light. I’ll have to check again. I am disabled with physical and mental crap for a very long time. I worked as long as I could. 10 years, breakdown, 16 years, breakdown. All of it through the pain. Then another disc went. I’m full of metal and have refractory depression (feel safe enough here to be honest). Mom is all in because she also uses medicine and wants me to have a hobby and something to care for. The pandemic has made everything a bit worse. I have COPD and had to keep safe. She’s retired. There’s 2 apartments downstairs, I live in one, and she lives upstairs. I don’t pay what the girl in the back does but it’s also not free. I’m responsible for my own. That means I’m on a tight budget. I’m using money I had put away for…..well, in case my mom needed to use it for anything for me. I have to put it back but know I can. She’s also offered $500 because there’s still a bunch I need. Pots, monitors, soil, seeds. Incidentals I need later I can do. As soon as the first crop is cured, and I put back what I spent, I’ll have extra cash I’m not used to. That was great when it was cigarette money so I’d imagine I’ll be just as happy. The thing about not wanting me to use the room upstairs I think came down to deniability. I’ve explained to her there’s really no worries there. I’m getting excited to start but have to remember to keep going slowly. I spent almost a week here seeking advice before I purchased anything. Usually I’m very impulsive and the outdoor crop failure would have had me ordering indoor stuff immediately. I’d learned the lesson though.

SC69

SC69

Supporter
Your exhaust should pull plenty of air through the intake vents at the bottom of your tent. If you are trying to balance air flow, you can run an inline fan as an intake.

I don't use an intake fan, but my tents are open for "lights on" hours and are only closed for the dark time. I use oscillating fans to move the air. Just don't buy Secret Jardin's oscillating Monkey fans. They only last a few months.
Thank you!

SC69

SC69

Supporter
I'm just trying to buy something but I cant find it anywhere. I have a picture of it. Wondering if theres a subreddit that will help me find where i can Speed Test buy the product??
I don’t know if I understand. You don’t know what the product is, just have a picture? What does it do? Full disclosure, I’m brand new here and looking for advice myself. I’ve gotten a bunch though. 😀

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

I don’t know if I understand. You don’t know what the product is, just have a picture? What does it do? Full disclosure, I’m brand new here and looking for advice myself. I’ve gotten a bunch though. 😀
I'm not sure what he means either. If it's important it will come up again.

M

McPappaGreens

Hi. I’m brand new and don’t even have the indoor equipment yet. I have picked out what I believe I want and need. I just have so many questions still. I’ve decided a 5x5 tent for room inside for incidentals that may be needed and elbow room. Planning 4 plants still. The lights I’m looking at (driving me crazy) have a veg footprint of 5x5 but 4x4 for flower. I need a step up light? I’ve seen grow rooms with these lights unless the videos are all faked. I really could use a mentor or someone for a longer conversation. I just have a bunch of questions that once answered will speed me alone. My disastrous outdoor grow this summer taught me not to jump in blind. Be ready. I’m trying to do that. I’ve received a lot of help here as far as what to do about my outdoor girls. I know this is the right place. Thanks all!
Id go with Mars hydro ts 4000 it's super bright an can grow a dam banana tree that's no shit don't need to switch between veg an flower it has a dimmer for veg then I'd hit a 6x4 tent just cause that's what I think is better if your killing space inside and don't need the space then definitely a 6x4 if you don't have the space then a 4x4 will run about 115 then you should start googling organic no till living soil it might be a bunch of mumble jumble but believe me when I say beginners can grow award winning cannabis with this method if you still aren't sure then in any mix add 20% peat moss 30% worm castings 30% perlite 15% compost do not use coco use moss for a reason then grab a large bag of nature's organics super soil Concentrate found on Amazon for 45 dollars follow the directions on the bag use 5 gallon fabric pots the bigger pots you have the more watering problems you will encounter then you will want some kind of exhaust a 6 inch fan an filter kit will vaccume seal your room even with all the ground vents open I suggest a 4 inch fan an filter kit you don't need bottled nutrients no bloom boosters no pH test kits don't need no dam reverse osmosis water filter all that fancy crap that GROW GREEN MICHIGAN hyped up an makes so many first time growers fail because they have so much going on an so little understanding of what they are doing living soil beats all I put everything I know about growing on any organic super soil living soil what have ya. get two timers one for your exhaust one for lights set your exhaust to pop on for 5 minutes and shut off for ten run 5 off ten repeated non stop till end of grow I keep all my veg plants under 24/24 indica an sativa and have yet to have problems if your plants are dry crispy move light up and change fan time to 10 on 5 off you basically want to achieve 76 constant during veg then wanna drop temps to 68 only when lights are off during flower this increases terps and helps fatten buds leafs will get fatter too you want to maintain 76 during veg even with lights off if temps do drop during veg don't let drop below 65 at all your plant will hate you I'm not paraphrasing all this cause I'm beyond baked sharing what info I have if you can't make since of it all then smoke a joint an read this again every grower will make mistakes every time they try something new that being said you will have trials an errors nothing is full proof not even the FDIC.dont be afraid to message me anytime I like talking bud I have books about books of growing weed so anyways I flower when my plants tell me too it's easy they don't grow upward as fast so when they stop that stretching I switch right to 12/12 don't drop to 18/6 then 14/7 no weird shit like that just 24 hrs light veg and 12 hrs flower you gonna increase the light intensity during flower turn the light full blast it should be 3/4 during veg though you will have to adjust hight according remember rule of thumb if it's too hot for your hand or you can feel heat, your plants can feel heat an prob too hot for them figure out your exhaust exchange with your heat and humidity. Rh you don't have to worry too much about in living soil untill flower you want humidity pretty low around 45 if you don't have plans for a hydrometer get one has humidity and temperature on it spend at least 20 dollars on one and keep about 1 ft off the ground of tent so things you need Two timers one bad ass grow light a tent hygrometer some fabric pots the soil I said way up in this story and allot of patience

SC69

SC69

Supporter
Id go with Mars hydro ts 4000 it's super bright an can grow a dam banana tree that's no shit don't need to switch between veg an flower it has a dimmer for veg then I'd hit a 6x4 tent just cause that's what I think is better if your killing space inside and don't need the space then definitely a 6x4 if you don't have the space then a 4x4 will run about 115 then you should start googling organic no till living soil it might be a bunch of mumble jumble but believe me when I say beginners can grow award winning cannabis with this method if you still aren't sure then in any mix add 20% peat moss 30% worm castings 30% perlite 15% compost do not use coco use moss for a reason then grab a large bag of nature's organics super soil Concentrate found on Amazon for 45 dollars follow the directions on the bag use 5 gallon fabric pots the bigger pots you have the more watering problems you will encounter then you will want some kind of exhaust a 6 inch fan an filter kit will vaccume seal your room even with all the ground vents open I suggest a 4 inch fan an filter kit you don't need bottled nutrients no bloom boosters no pH test kits don't need no dam reverse osmosis water filter all that fancy crap that GROW GREEN MICHIGAN hyped up an makes so many first time growers fail because they have so much going on an so little understanding of what they are doing living soil beats all I put everything I know about growing on any organic super soil living soil what have ya. get two timers one for your exhaust one for lights set your exhaust to pop on for 5 minutes and shut off for ten run 5 off ten repeated non stop till end of grow I keep all my veg plants under 24/24 indica an sativa and have yet to have problems if your plants are dry crispy move light up and change fan time to 10 on 5 off you basically want to achieve 76 constant during veg then wanna drop temps to 68 only when lights are off during flower this increases terps and helps fatten buds leafs will get fatter too you want to maintain 76 during veg even with lights off if temps do drop during veg don't let drop below 65 at all your plant will hate you I'm not paraphrasing all this cause I'm beyond baked sharing what info I have if you can't make since of it all then smoke a joint an read this again every grower will make mistakes every time they try something new that being said you will have trials an errors nothing is full proof not even the FDIC.dont be afraid to message me anytime I like talking bud I have books about books of growing weed so anyways I flower when my plants tell me too it's easy they don't grow upward as fast so when they stop that stretching I switch right to 12/12 don't drop to 18/6 then 14/7 no weird shit like that just 24 hrs light veg and 12 hrs flower you gonna increase the light intensity during flower turn the light full blast it should be 3/4 during veg though you will have to adjust hight according remember rule of thumb if it's too hot for your hand or you can feel heat, your plants can feel heat an prob too hot for them figure out your exhaust exchange with your heat and humidity. Rh you don't have to worry too much about in living soil untill flower you want humidity pretty low around 45 if you don't have plans for a hydrometer get one has humidity and temperature on it spend at least 20 dollars on one and keep about 1 ft off the ground of tent so things you need Two timers one bad ass grow light a tent hygrometer some fabric pots the soil I said way up in this story and allot of patience
Thanks man. I’m getting less worried about the water because every single plant and flower around the house does fine with the water from the hose. The PPM is 250-400. It’s a bit hard but the water report doesn’t even list calcium or magnesium. All about the soil! I’ve done a bunch of reading this week. I’ll look at the light.

Latest posts

Top Bottom