Looking for product buying advice.

• Thread starter SC69
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

I'm sure it does well. I just like more red. My buds develop and finish faster when I add hps to the mix.
More red wouldn't hurt. I will admit that I have contemplated adding some bloom bars and some uvb https://www.migrolight.com/product/migro-uvb-310/ The reason I haven't yet is I've been quite satisfied with bud quality and strength. They do finish slower than they would under my 3000k + 660nm + IR Kingbrite boards.

@scfm69 BTW a 5 x 5 tent is capable of 2 lb harvests easily with 4 - 6 plants, using a longer veg and LST training.

SC69

SC69

Supporter
More red wouldn't hurt. I will admit that I have contemplated adding some bloom bars and some uvb https://www.migrolight.com/product/migro-uvb-310/ The reason I haven't yet is I've been quite satisfied with bud quality and strength. They do finish slower than they would under my 3000k + 660nm + IR Kingbrite boards.

@scfm69 BTW a 5 x 5 tent is capable of 2 lb harvests easily with 4 - 6 plants, using a longer veg and LST training.
I ordered the ION 720. I did read that about harvest. I want to learn training and I will as it comes up but I am also very anxious about it all. I know now about proper pruning, at least enough to know what to take off. The when and how much at once I’ll need advice on. I know I can get the mesh too I’m just worried instead of bending them I’d break them off. Hahaha. I will need help when it comes time to topping. Also, even though I’ll order fem seeds, a male is still possible, right? I’ll need to be sure on that but I have seen photos. This is all going to come up as I go and my ears are wide open. I tend to learn well when I’m interested. I’ve combined a bunch of the advice I’ve been given to choose my products. I thought I knew what fan and exhaust I was going to get but I’ve been shown other options. They’re less expensive. Difference in Australian charcoal? lol. I also thought the whole time I needed a 6” fan/exhaust to make sure the CFM is enough. The one I’m looking at now does over 400. The tent is 175. Run the fan lower or go to 4”? Any odor leak and I could end up with myself & the tent in the garage. She can get more rent from a stranger. lol.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

I ordered the ION 720. I did read that about harvest. I want to learn training and I will as it comes up but I am also very anxious about it all. I know now about proper pruning, at least enough to know what to take off. The when and how much at once I’ll need advice on. I know I can get the mesh too I’m just worried instead of bending them I’d break them off. Hahaha. I will need help when it comes time to topping. Also, even though I’ll order fem seeds, a male is still possible, right? I’ll need to be sure on that but I have seen photos. This is all going to come up as I go and my ears are wide open. I tend to learn well when I’m interested. I’ve combined a bunch of the advice I’ve been given to choose my products. I thought I knew what fan and exhaust I was going to get but I’ve been shown other options. They’re less expensive. Difference in Australian charcoal? lol. I also thought the whole time I needed a 6” fan/exhaust to make sure the CFM is enough. The one I’m looking at now does over 400. The tent is 175. Run the fan lower or go to 4”? Any odor leak and I could end up with myself & the tent in the garage. She can get more rent from a stranger. lol.
I don't top my plants. I bush them out by bending over the main stem. The only ones that are topped are the ones that broke because I went too far. When that happens, its no big deal. It may lengthen veg time a bit, but it won't hurt final yield in most cases.

My reason for not topping? - It lengthen's veg time a bit. I do lollipop. My girls prefer a bit of air flow around their legs so I shorten their skirts a bit.

SC69

SC69

Supporter
I don't top my plants. I bush them out by bending over the main stem. The only ones that are topped are the ones that broke because I went too far. When that happens, its no big deal. It may lengthen veg time a bit, but it won't hurt final yield in most cases.

My reason for not topping? - It lengthen's veg time a bit. I do lollipop. My girls prefer a bit of air flow around their legs so I shorten their skirts a bit.
I hope that we are going to get to know each other well and become close. I did figure out why I need more CFM than the size of the tent for a fan/vent. Now I don’t know if a 6” will be enough or I should go 8”. I don’t want the added noise or overkill. I already bought things from gorilla to keep it from “sucking in.” Now, the last things right now before pots etc are accessories. Absolute needed ones. Anything fun etc I can wait on. I do want to be able to monitor temp/humidity/c02 etc without opening the tent. So, that I understand will be a bit. Anything digital I can do manually, I may have to start that way. I forgot I still have to buy pots, soil, seeds. I also want a soil moisture monitor. It will help me a lot.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

I hope that we are going to get to know each other well and become close. I did figure out why I need more CFM than the size of the tent for a fan/vent. Now I don’t know if a 6” will be enough or I should go 8”. I don’t want the added noise or overkill. I already bought things from gorilla to keep it from “sucking in.” Now, the last things right now before pots etc are accessories. Absolute needed ones. Anything fun etc I can wait on. I do want to be able to monitor temp/humidity/c02 etc without opening the tent. So, that I understand will be a bit. Anything digital I can do manually, I may have to start that way. I forgot I still have to buy pots, soil, seeds.
I hang out here and I really don't see that changing. You can either make a post or toss me a private message. I'll answer as soon as I can.

I have an 8" filter system in one tent and a 6 " in my other. Both work, but the 8" works better. It's down the list a ways, but I'll eventually upgrade the other 5 x 5 to the 8" system and use the 6" in my 32" x 60" veg tent. Bigger is better ... I use pvc pipe and fittings to prevent the tent sucking in. Works like a charm and is pretty cheap.

As for automation ... there is much you can do. Get the basics purchased first and add to your equipment as funds permit

SC69

SC69

Supporter
I hang out here and I really don't see that changing. You can either make a post or toss me a private message. I'll answer as soon as I can.

I have an 8" filter system in one tent and a 6 " in my other. Both work, but the 8" works better. It's down the list a ways, but I'll eventually upgrade the other 5 x 5 to the 8" system and use the 6" in my 32" x 60" veg tent. Bigger is better ... I use pvc pipe and fittings to prevent the tent sucking in. Works like a charm and is pretty cheap.

As for automation ... there is much you can do. Get the basics purchased first and add to your equipment as funds permit
Sounds like you are saying it’s up to me but get the 8”. Haha. Because of odor or better flow?

weedshoes

weedshoes

That ion 720 looks bad to the bone. Nice choice.

My 6" fan is a hydrofarm. The price fluctuates like crazy on amazon, I got it when it dipped to $78. The main thing with fans is to make sure it has a brushless motor. If you're eventually going to add a second tent and want to run just 1 fan, I'd go with the 8".

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Sounds like you are saying it’s up to me but get the 8”. Haha. Because of odor or better flow?
I still have odor regardless of which one is in use. I would have wayyyy more odor if I didn't use one at all.

Now let me clarify that ... I live in a legal state. The house on one side of me is empty, and the guy who lives on the other side of me always has 12 plants growing. I'm not going through any special lengths to hide what I'm doing. I could mask the odor much more than I do .... To be honest though, DANK is one of my favorite smells!!! 😆

SC69

SC69

Supporter
That ion 720 looks bad to the bone. Nice choice.

My 6" fan is a hydrofarm. The price fluctuates like crazy on amazon, I got it when it dipped to $78. The main thing with fans is to make sure it has a brushless motor. If you're eventually going to add a second tent and want to run just 1 fan, I'd go with the 8".
I want quality but also to save money. What I originally thought I was going to get was this https://shop.pahydroponics.com/vortex-s-line-6-340-cfm-free-shipping/ and the 8” is $302!! I’m looking at AC infinity now, I don’t like that the carbon filter doesn’t have a pre cover like the others I’ve seen but I can just buy one. I think from what I understand that by adding ducts and filters you need more CFM capacity. Probably at least double. The 6” won’t do that.

SC69

SC69

Supporter
I still have odor regardless of which one is in use. I would have wayyyy more odor if I didn't use one at all.

Now let me clarify that ... I live in a legal state. The house on one side of me is empty, and the guy who lives on the other side of me always has 12 plants growing. I'm not going through any special lengths to hide what I'm doing. I could mask the odor much more than I do .... To be honest though, DANK is one of my favorite smells!!! 😆
Mine and actually hers too. We are a newly legal state and they did this stupid thing with the growing law. It will be legal, just not until the stores get a chance to tax us to death. 18 mos after dispensaries open we can grow 3 mature for each person in the home. Leaving room for a mixture of setups which is a positive. We’re trying to lobby to change the grow thing. At least for us medical patients.

weedshoes

weedshoes

My setup is much smaller than yours. I have that 6 pulling through a 3x3 and a 2x2.5. It sucks the walls in a treat. I think the 6 is fine for 1 5x5, and as long as it is less than half the price of an 8 you're better off with 2 6s IMO.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

My setup is much smaller than yours. I have that 6 pulling through a 3x3 and a 2x2.5. It sucks the walls in a treat. I think the 6 is fine for 1 5x5, and as long as it is less than half the price of an 8 you're better off with 2 6s IMO.
There's a formula that I used when I bought the 6" kit so I know that it will work just fine.

One feature that is a must is a fan speed control. Not all have them. If noise is a concern, the 8" with the speed turned down would be quieter. My 6" isn't silent but it also isn't loud. The brushless fan motor should run quieter, be more efficient, and last longer.

SC69

SC69

Supporter
There's a formula that I used when I bought the 6" kit so I know that it will work just fine.

One feature that is a must is a fan speed control. Not all have them. If noise is a concern, the 8" with the speed turned down would be quieter. My 6" isn't silent but it also isn't loud. The brushless fan motor should run quieter, be more efficient, and last longer.
I’m only worried about the noise because it’s going to be in the bedroom next to hers. The AC infinity I’m looking at says it’s 30 or 35db. I think that’s ok. They make a “muffler” if I need it. They’re out of pre-filter cloths though so I may move to a different filter. I like the price of the fans.

weedshoes

weedshoes

My fan controller is from active air and was about $20.

At full speed it's much quieter than my furnace. It's about as loud as a dishwasher.

SC69

SC69

Supporter
All the big stuff is ordered. Tent, light, fan, filter, silencer, ducting. Now I need the monitoring equipment. Temp/RH/C02, I’m getting a moisture meter and I’m sure there are things I’m not thinking of. I’d like to be able to monitor without opening but I also have to save $$.

Top Bottom