Looking for product buying advice.

• Thread starter SC69
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
SC69

SC69

Supporter
Hi. I’m brand new and don’t even have the indoor equipment yet. I have picked out what I believe I want and need. I just have so many questions still. I’ve decided a 5x5 tent for room inside for incidentals that may be needed and elbow room. Planning 4 plants still. The lights I’m looking at (driving me crazy) have a veg footprint of 5x5 but 4x4 for flower. I need a step up light? I’ve seen grow rooms with these lights unless the videos are all faked. I really could use a mentor or someone for a longer conversation. I just have a bunch of questions that once answered will speed me alone. My disastrous outdoor grow this summer taught me not to jump in blind. Be ready. I’m trying to do that. I’ve received a lot of help here as far as what to do about my outdoor girls. I know this is the right place. Thanks all!

SC69

SC69

Supporter
Hi. I’m brand new and don’t even have the indoor equipment yet. I have picked out what I believe I want and need. I just have so many questions still. I’ve decided a 5x5 tent for room inside for incidentals that may be needed and elbow room. Planning 4 plants still. The lights I’m looking at (driving me crazy) have a veg footprint of 5x5 but 4x4 for flower. I need a step up light? Just go 4x4? I’ve seen grow rooms with these lights unless the videos are all faked. I really could use a mentor or someone for a longer conversation. I just have a bunch of questions that once answered will speed me along. My disastrous outdoor grow this summer taught me not to jump in blind. Be ready. I’m trying to do that. I’ve received a lot of help here as far as what to do about my outdoor girls. I know this is the right place. Thanks all! Edit…I visited a site that claims to be neutral and does tests on lights. I was given a number for ppm in a 5x5 of 1625. It took forever but I found a light with 1700. It’s not one of the cheaper models.

Ponky

Ponky

⅓ of the space for veg. ⅔ for flowering. 4x8 tents and 5x10 tents if you have room are great. How many circuits do you have for power?

Ponky

Ponky

Hi. I’m brand new and don’t even have the indoor equipment yet. I have picked out what I believe I want and need. I just have so many questions still. I’ve decided a 5x5 tent for room inside for incidentals that may be needed and elbow room. Planning 4 plants still. The lights I’m looking at (driving me crazy) have a veg footprint of 5x5 but 4x4 for flower. I need a step up light? I’ve seen grow rooms with these lights unless the videos are all faked. I really could use a mentor or someone for a longer conversation. I just have a bunch of questions that once answered will speed me alone. My disastrous outdoor grow this summer taught me not to jump in blind. Be ready. I’m trying to do that. I’ve received a lot of help here as far as what to do about my outdoor girls. I know this is the right place. Thanks all!
I read it wrong. Sorry are you doing one 5x5 and you want a light for it? LED arrays are like 2k. And an HPS combo is around 240. And a CMH 630 is like 320. What's the goals? Low cost first yield out the door? Or premium light, premium conditions. Try to grow some new strains and have some monster buds?

SC69

SC69

Supporter
⅓ of the space for veg. ⅔ for flowering. 4x8 tents and 5x10 tents if you have room are great. How many circuits do you have for power?
I’m having a new one put in. I’m an on an extreme budget and those would be too big. Plus the space. That’s another issue i need to talk about is location. A bigger tent would up the cost of everything and space is an issue. The bigger chunk of my budget is going to go for this light it looks like. I’ve read a bunch of stuff about not being afraid of the cheaper ones but I am.

Ponky

Ponky

I’m having a new one put in. I’m an on an extreme budget and those would be too big. Plus the space. That’s another issue i need to talk about is location. A bigger tent would up the cost of everything and space is an issue. The bigger chunk of my budget is going to go for this light it looks like. I’ve read a bunch of stuff about not being afraid of the cheaper ones but I am.
Cheap tents are fine. Get one with a known good zipper. You can only plug in so much per room. So consider the amount of electricity you can use. Growneer has a good zipper. If your light budget is small get 600 watt HPS combo. With a vented hood. Cheap. Gets good yield. A good LED array can cost 8 to 10x more. Are you trying to stay under 1000 bucks to start?

weedshoes

weedshoes

So you're settled on one do-it-all tent rather than separate veg and flower tents?

Have you considered reaching out to some of the USA based light and tent companies for their recommendations?

SC69

SC69

Supporter
I read it wrong. Sorry are you doing one 5x5 and you want a light for it? LED arrays are like 2k. And an HPS combo is around 240. And a CMH 630 is like 320. What's the goals? Low cost first yield out the door? Or premium light, premium conditions. Try to grow some new strains and have some monster buds?
Since I’m a novice who had a failed outdoor crop and previously probably pulled 10 weeds in my life, I have decided it will be better for me to do a couple rounds of auto flower. That can give me what I need between crops. Eventually I do want to go from seed to flowers in the normal way. That’s the overall goal. I need to save money. I spend a lot. In the house, for 2 of us, with me being the majority of it, it’s $750 a month minimum. I have to end that. Not looking for anything but saving that money. I know I have to invest initially to do it. It’s just limited as to what I have. I was all set on the light until I read the ppm recommendations (the one I wanted doesn’t reach it) found one for $150 more. If it’s worth it I will get it. But as a first timer, could I in theory get away with a throw away cheap model until I know I’m going to be successful? This is what I mean. I probably have 20-30 questions before I can move forward. Like, I have hard water. Reverse osmosis seems a waste and takes a long time to recharge a new tank. That will be time consuming and tedious. But what else can I do? Soften with potassium? I can’t seem to get an answer. Everyone just wants me to get R/O. It’s also wasteful which does not make me feel good.

SC69

SC69

Supporter
Cheap tents are fine. Get one with a known good zipper. You can only plug in so much per room. So consider the amount of electricity you can use. Growneer has a good zipper. If your light budget is small get 600 watt HPS combo. With a vented hood. Cheap. Gets good yield. A good LED array can cost 8 to 10x more. Are you trying to stay under 1000 bucks to start?
I’m happy at $1,500 right now. I got some family help. But I’m reconsidering a couple things. That’s with a gorilla 5x5 and a HLG 600

SC69

SC69

Supporter
If I’m buying it, I don’t want to rebuy it. I do like the gorilla. I like the zipper covers and the thought into it.
The light I’m thinking I should save on until I know I am learning. Then invest in a better light. I just need to know the cheaper one will get me through a few auto grows. Energy savings is an issue too. I have to pay for the increase. Eventually this will be ok. It will be hard until after the first autos are cured.

weedshoes

weedshoes

Can you collect rainwater?

If I were you I would buy a tent to fill 2/3 of your space and a dimmable red spectrum light slightly overpowered for that tent. Run your autos in there. That way you can add a smaller veg tent with a blue light later and not have to sell or throw away anything. There is enough trash in the world already. I hate buying stuff twice. I went HLG and Gorilla and have no regrets. If you tell companies you're active on the forums they may throw you a bone.

2Bad

2Bad

Most 5x5 lights will cost around 500-700 . Honestly Gorilla grow tents are expensive go ac infinity tent and carbon and inline fan as well you could go on amazon and use the coupon code canuck15 for 15 percent off. You don't need r/o water I know you said your ppm is like 250..I think you'll be fine.

SC69

SC69

Supporter
Can you collect rainwater?

If I were you I would buy a tent to fill 2/3 of your space and a dimmable red spectrum light slightly overpowered for that tent. Run your autos in there. That way you can add a smaller veg tent with a blue light later and not have to sell or throw away anything. There is enough trash in the world already. I hate buying stuff twice. I went HLG and Gorilla and have no regrets. If you tell companies you're active on the forums they may throw you a bone.
Your telling me you went gorilla and HLG is helpful. It’s what my original choices were. I really like the guy in the videos for PA hydo. I could collect some rain water still and that’s in the works but I’m in the NE. It will be snow for a while.
So you're settled on one do-it-all tent rather than separate veg and flower tents?

Have you considered reaching out to some of the USA based light and tent companies for their recommendations?
Once I’ve learned everything I need to know and have some experience under my belt, a chance to save up some money, I would do that. This is the best I can do right now.

SC69

SC69

Supporter
Most 5x5 lights will cost around 500-700 . Honestly Gorilla grow tents are expensive go ac infinity tent and carbon and inline fan as well you could go on amazon and use the coupon code canuck15 for 15 percent off. You don't need r/o water I know you said your ppm is like 250..I think you'll be fine.
It’s 250-400. At least. I may be making that more of an issue than it needs to be. All other plants and flowers in and around the house do fine. It’s Ph is 7.2 on the report. The strip test confirmed between 7/8. I know I can fix that.

weedshoes

weedshoes

I also watched the PA hydroponics videos, that guy is very generous with his knowledge. Then I went to my local shop (a grow generation) they carried the same brands. Told me everything I needed to know.

Brick and mortar shops tend not to mess with products that give them trouble.

2Bad

2Bad

It’s 250-400. At least. I may be making that more of an issue than it needs to be. All other plants and flowers in and around the house do fine. It’s Ph is 7.2 on the report. The strip test confirmed between 7/8. I know I can fix that.
Yea it truly depends what the "250-400" is made up of rather than how high it is. I would try it. see if it's bad you can always head to a hydro store during veggin

2Bad

2Bad

Are you making sure you're getting at least 30-35watts per sq/ft too?

SC69

SC69

Supporter
I also watched the PA hydroponics videos, that guy is very generous with his knowledge. Then I went to my local shop (a grow generation) they carried the same brands. Told me everything I needed to know.

Brick and mortar shops tend not to mess with products that give them trouble.
I sort of know the guy that own the store in my area. I’m afraid to ask him because I don’t want him to think I’m looking for discounts. I say sort of, but we’ve known of each other 21 years. He was married to my sisters friend. They’re still friends but we did take his side. lol.

SC69

SC69

Supporter
Are you making sure you're getting at least 30-35watts per sq/ft too?
These are things that are popping up the more questions I ask. Which is exactly what I need. So I will learn and can make informed choices. I’m not expecting to pull super plants out the first few times. I just need to start. I should have 10 years ago. Full disclosure, it will also be therapeutic for me.

2Bad

2Bad

These are things that are popping up the more questions I ask. Which is exactly what I need. So I will learn and can make informed choices. I’m not expecting to pull super plants out the first few times. I just need to start. I should have 10 years ago. Full disclosure, it will also be therapeutic for me.
Yes it will be therapeutic. Keep asking questions on here. If you try to learn it all on your own you will have a permanent headache. But I did research 2 months by myself before I popped a seed. Then I started asking questions. Worst 2 months .

Latest posts

Top Bottom