Looking for product buying advice.

• Thread starter SC69
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
SC69

SC69

Supporter
Fair enough but $70 is going to cost ya much less than all the seeds and issues it costs you. Lugging around water is a pita big time.

Those units hook up to a sink so you don't need any work to plumb or anything.

Water softeners honestly a big no no and if you ppm is like 450 I feel like your gonna have issues with either. Not right off the hop as they may do ok to start bit as the grow progresses and demands for water pick up its more than likely to bite you in the ass big time.
It’s not the cost. It’s the waste. I don’t really have a sink for it either. I’m not going to be allowed to change the fixture, there’s a deep sink that takes up more room than you’d think etc. The gpd for me doesn’t mean much if the tank is 4 gallons and takes 2-4 hours to refill. I did mention it and ask if I could put the faucet where there is now a soap dispenser (original faucet left alone). I do have the ok so maybe I need to get over myself. If it would fit. I’m sure after a week or two of water gathering I’d feel differently. The water has to be softened for clothes and showers. I am switching to potassium now that I’m aware of it. Nothing to do with grow. The sodium is gross. Hah.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

They are safe. Think of it this way a 1000w hps if you can control the extra heat is cheap as fuck... the LEDs are not... and trust me I'm an LED fan all the way but....

You need to look at the grow as a whole. Having a great light and shit water, environmental control and inadequate equipment is far far worse and the light won't even matter. This would be setting g yourself up for almost sure failure.

After 1 grow you will make enough to upgrade the light. The other way you have a nice shiny kick ass paper weight.

Spend the money where needed to be successful
Always plan for the long run, but take advantage of changing situations. If a great sale comes up, it may be better than waiting.

SC69

SC69

Supporter
They are safe. Think of it this way a 1000w hps if you can control the extra heat is cheap as fuck... the LEDs are not... and trust me I'm an LED fan all the way but....

You need to look at the grow as a whole. Having a great light and shit water, environmental control and inadequate equipment is far far worse and the light won't even matter. This would be setting g yourself up for almost sure failure.

After 1 grow you will make enough to upgrade the light. The other way you have a nice shiny kick ass paper weight.

You are right. I am not worried about the cost of the RO. I looked at others that were more expensive and asked if I decided to do it if I could have the soap dispenser hole. Haha.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Fair enough but $70 is going to cost ya much less than all the seeds and issues it costs you. Lugging around water is a pita big time.

Those units hook up to a sink so you don't need any work to plumb or anything.

Water softeners honestly a big no no and if you ppm is like 450 I feel like your gonna have issues with either. Not right off the hop as they may do ok to start bit as the grow progresses and demands for water pick up its more than likely to bite you in the ass big time.

Here's what I did: https://www.thcfarmer.com/profile/1077379/

This is rigged with garden hose fittings and pvc. It could be made to be portable. It's a 3 stage carbon filter system. It's great for reducing ppm in hard water. It will take your ppm down to around 100 ppm. There is no water waste like with RO.

Mine is plumbed to my washing machine cold water supply through a garden hose "Y". You would want to use the hard water source before it gets softened in your whole house soft water system.

SC69

SC69

Supporter
Always plan for the long run, but take advantage of changing situations. If a great sale comes up, it may be better than waiting.
I can gather extra money for stuff if it turns out that way. I’m ordering the light on sale. If I end up needing to buy an RO I’ll make it work. I’m on a budget but not unable to get it. It can be given back.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

It’s not the cost. It’s the waste. I don’t really have a sink for it either. I’m not going to be allowed to change the fixture, there’s a deep sink that takes up more room than you’d think etc. The gpd for me doesn’t mean much if the tank is 4 gallons and takes 2-4 hours to refill. I did mention it and ask if I could put the faucet where there is now a soap dispenser (original faucet left alone). I do have the ok so maybe I need to get over myself. If it would fit. I’m sure after a week or two of water gathering I’d feel differently. The water has to be softened for clothes and showers. I am switching to potassium now that I’m aware of it. Nothing to do with grow. The sodium is gross. Hah.
Dude it's just an adapter that goes on the tap just thread in when using or leave it in. You have to change nothing. You can mount it under the sink or not at all. Waste line just sits in the sink and then you fill 5gal pails. On a day off for the week

SC69

SC69

Supporter
Dude it's just an adapter that goes on the tap. You have to change nothing. You can mount it under the sink or not at all. Waste line just sits in the sink and then you fill 5gal pails. On a day off for the week
All the ones I saw had their own faucets. I was probably paying little attention because of a biased attitude. I will take a better look. I know what you’re telling me is the right thing to do and the only answer unless I really want to hunt and gather water. We both know I don’t and just would if I had to. I just want to make it work. My quality of life would improve in so many ways. Better medicine and saved money. I have to make it work and shouldn’t be saying no to anything.

Ponky

Ponky

It’s worth looking into now for sure. The RO that Aqua Man sent me is completely different and smaller than what I was looking at. One way or the other I’ll make it work. This is great to know. When I googled, nothing came up except a bunch of stuff about why it’s bad. Haha.
I would do an experiment and see if you can use your water with this hard water recipe. Maybe your water hardness will be ok. Test one plant out on your straight tap water.

SC69

SC69

Supporter
I would do an experiment and see if you can use your water with this hard water recipe. Maybe your water hardness will be ok. Test one plant out on your straight tap water.
Hose water. The tap is softened. But this is what confuses me. All of my mothers flowers and plants do great all summer. She has wild grass on the sides of the porch that I have to have trimmed or it would just get too wild. I actually asked her to remove it completely because it’s out of control. Why is this? It’s a specific thing to marijunana? Or, regardless of that ppm, is my hard water ok? Ugh.

Ponky

Ponky

Hose water. The tap is softened. But this is what confuses me. All of my mothers flowers and plants do great all summer. She has wild grass on the sides of the porch that I have to have trimmed or it would just get too wild. I actually asked her to remove it completely because it’s out of control. Why is this? It’s a specific thing to marijunana? Or, regardless of that ppm, is my hard water ok? Ugh.
Your hose water could be fine. Have to do a run start to finish with your feed program and no supplements to see what you're working with. And dial it in from there. I would also run a cutting or two in hose water only DWC. Change it once a day. See what it does to the cutting to get clues as to what the water has and doesn't have. Basically like letting a bubble clone go. But with a daily change of water. You could possibly send the water to a lab. Then you'd know exactly what it needs to have added to it.

Hi. I’m brand new and don’t even have the indoor equipment yet. I have picked out what I believe I want and need. I just have so many questions still. I’ve decided a 5x5 tent for room inside for incidentals that may be needed and elbow room. Planning 4 plants still. The lights I’m looking at (driving me crazy) have a veg footprint of 5x5 but 4x4 for flower. I need a step up light? I’ve seen grow rooms with these lights unless the videos are all faked. I really could use a mentor or someone for a longer conversation. I just have a bunch of questions that once answered will speed me alone. My disastrous outdoor grow this summer taught me not to jump in blind. Be ready. I’m trying to do that. I’ve received a lot of help here as far as what to do about my outdoor girls. I know this is the right place. Thanks all!
My first crop is about 4-5 weeks from harvest. I have a 5x10 space (gorilla tent with the 1 ft. upper extension) and I purchased (after much research) two Gavita 1700's for this space. I couldn't be happier. And at just 5.6 amps each, its easier on my electric bill. I dot think you can go wrong with these. IMO.

I recently set-up a second tent, for smaller plants, so I can rotate about every 8-10 weeks. Having spent so much money on my first set-up I went with a budget set-up for this baby plant tent. My gorilla tent with the Gavita Lights will become my flower tent only. I purchased a 5'x 10" tent from LA gardens and it seems descent for this application. I also did a lot of research on lights and decided on the Sonofarm SF-4000. The same as the Spyder Farmer SF-400 but $150 cheaper at just $399 each. They claim a 5x5 veg footprint. Having set them up this may be close but I will assume a 4x4 footprint. Since Im only using them for veg I will see. Check back with me in about 8 weeks for an update on these lights.

SC69

SC69

Supporter
My first crop is about 4-5 weeks from harvest. I have a 5x10 space (gorilla tent with the 1 ft. upper extension) and I purchased (after much research) two Gavita 1700's for this space. I couldn't be happier. And at just 5.6 amps each, its easier on my electric bill. I dot think you can go wrong with these. IMO.

I recently set-up a second tent, for smaller plants, so I can rotate about every 8-10 weeks. Having spent so much money on my first set-up I went with a budget set-up for this baby plant tent. My gorilla tent with the Gavita Lights will become my flower tent only. I purchased a 5'x 10" tent from LA gardens and it seems descent for this application. I also did a lot of research on lights and decided on the Sonofarm SF-4000. The same as the Spyder Farmer SF-400 but $150 cheaper at just $399 each. They claim a 5x5 veg footprint. Having set them up this may be close but I will assume a 4x4 footprint. Since Im only using them for veg I will see. Check back with me in about 8 weeks for an update on these lights.
I’ll be up and running by then. I’m using a 5x5. I’d be able to get away with one? I do think I’ve settled on a light though. Thank you! I’ll be waiting to see those gals. ✌️

SC69

SC69

Supporter
Your hose water could be fine. Have to do a run start to finish with your feed program and no supplements to see what you're working with. And dial it in from there. I would also run a cutting or two in hose water only DWC. Change it once a day. See what it does to the cutting to get clues as to what the water has and doesn't have. Basically like letting a bubble clone go. But with a daily change of water. You could possibly send the water to a lab. Then you'd know exactly what it needs to have added to it.

This is what I need to do. I know where to bring a sample. I think I’m safe to order the products because I’m going to make it work one way or the other. I seem to have a lot of different conditions I need to overcome. I feel like I’m difficult. lol. I do think I have nixed the basement for the upstairs spare room. I just have to find her a “sewing cabinet” now because it was going to be her sewing room, ya know. 🤣
She just didn’t want me using it but is becoming aware it’s the better choice.

I’ll be up and running by then. I’m using a 5x5. I’d be able to get away with one? I do think I’ve settled on a light though. Thank you! I’ll be waiting to see those gals. ✌️
If just one space then I would go with the Gavita 1700e and one will cover it nicely. I paid $999 each but have recently seen them for around $800 each. PS Gavita does not include the cord so figure an additional $20 for that

SC69

SC69

Supporter
If just one space then I would go with the Gavita 1700e and one will cover it nicely. I paid $999 each but have recently seen them for around $800 each. PS Gavita does not include the cord so figure an additional $20 for that
Thank you. That’s in budget. I will check them out.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

If you are planning on a soil grow, then you might be interested in this:

SC69

SC69

Supporter
If you are planning on a soil grow, then you might be interested in this:
Thank you! I am interested. I’ve read a few of your threads and am already better, and I haven’t touched anything yet. lol. I followed so I wouldn’t lose these or who you were.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

If your garden hose is from the supply before the softener the sodium won't be an issue.

The issue may lie in the makeup of that ppm. Some tap water uses sodium bicarbonate and air large part you want to know thw calcium levels so you can keep your ratios in check. As they usually are highest in calcium with very little mag and that's where the issue comes in. Nutrients can inhibit or cause a higher demand for other nutrients eg. Very high calcium can limit availability of potassium, phosphorus, magnesium and some micros.

Hard water nutes are lower in cal than other nutes to account for this.

If you can screenshot your local water report I'll give you a rundown of possible work arounda for your specific water supply. Just make sure to edit out the location or any personal info.

Just google your city, municipality and water report. It will likely be last years but that fine

Last edited:
Top Bottom