Mass Cloning Help Needed

• Thread starter cali-grown
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
C

cali-grown

I've been trying to move to purely cloning instead of flowering lately because it makes the most money per square foot for my room. I have 16 mothers of 7 different strains and the clubs need orders filled. Problem is my clones are only at like a 33% success rate. i JUST made this room a couple days ago so some of the old clones might have been from problems with my old room. My room has one single 400 w light in it at about 7 feet. I have the standard 76 tray + dome lid set up, along with a rooting mat (thats what its designed for) but it hasnt been working for me.

My Main Problems:
1) Plants wilt like normal, but seem to break right in the rapid rooters and never grow back
2) some of the clones just disintigrate. i have no idea why. the just get light green, fall over and when you tought the stock it just falls apart like mush. (around day 5)
3) of the clones that DO live they have been super light green and yellow at leave edges
4) our rapid rooters are moist on top but bone dry on bottom

our Cloning method:
Day 1: cut at 90 degree angle dip in cloned, put in rapid rooter

Days 2-6: Spray 3X daily with water with 2 drops of "superthrive" + a little "Verde" from the humbolt nutes line. keeping the ventsd closed and getting indirect light

Days 7-rooted: Spray 3X daily with water with 2 drops of "superthrive" + a little "Verde" from the humbolt nutes line. keeping the vents open and getting semi-direct light

The ones that survive are great and get pumpin...

we DONT put any water in the bottom of the trays below the clones, maybe thats an issue? and the temp does get a little high sometimes

thanks for the help guys!!! ill check back when i get off work

B

billybadazz

I personally don't care for rapid rooters myself and have had poor success with them as well as cloning in dirt.....maybe I'm a retard. I now have a powercloner and also a turbokloner and have almost 100% success rate (prolly around 97%). if your trying to supply clubs they want healthy clones and my guess is you want more than a 30% survival rate for monetary reasons.....prolly want to get a powercloner 165 or a ez cloner 120. If you would like to know my regimine if you get a clone machine PM me and I will let you know man. Best of luck on your endeavour -BB

S

SkyHi

And YOUR the clone supllier!!!! i feel bad foir them patients and coops

S

smoke1sun

I clone in a home made areo cloner. And I've found that the more I spray my clones the worse the look to me. They seem to yellow up faster and i also get that soft stem then death. I know you said you use rapid rooters. Maybe you could try just keeping the dome wet with no additives, and see if this increases you rates.

But if your open to trying something different, areo cloner with EWC tea is the bomb.

Midnight_son

Midnight_son

Premium Member
Supporter
I use the EZ Clone machine, (60 place). RO water with base nutes added to 150-170 ppm. I have a great sucess rate with this, 95-100%. :character0180:

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I've been trying to move to purely cloning instead of flowering lately because it makes the most money per square foot for my room. I have 16 mothers of 7 different strains and the clubs need orders filled. Problem is my clones are only at like a 33% success rate. i JUST made this room a couple days ago so some of the old clones might have been from problems with my old room. My room has one single 400 w light in it at about 7 feet. I have the standard 76 tray + dome lid set up, along with a rooting mat (thats what its designed for) but it hasnt been working for me.

My Main Problems:
1) Plants wilt like normal, but seem to break right in the rapid rooters and never grow back
2) some of the clones just disintigrate. i have no idea why. the just get light green, fall over and when you tought the stock it just falls apart like mush. (around day 5)
3) of the clones that DO live they have been super light green and yellow at leave edges
4) our rapid rooters are moist on top but bone dry on bottom

our Cloning method:
Day 1: cut at 90 degree angle dip in cloned, put in rapid rooter

Days 2-6: Spray 3X daily with water with 2 drops of "superthrive" + a little "Verde" from the humbolt nutes line. keeping the ventsd closed and getting indirect light

Days 7-rooted: Spray 3X daily with water with 2 drops of "superthrive" + a little "Verde" from the humbolt nutes line. keeping the vents open and getting semi-direct light

The ones that survive are great and get pumpin...

we DONT put any water in the bottom of the trays below the clones, maybe thats an issue? and the temp does get a little high sometimes

thanks for the help guys!!! ill check back when i get off work
Rapid Rooters should work, but right now I'm really liking a mix of coco (pre-charged) with perlite and worm castings. I personally have always put water in the bottom of the trays. I'd nix the Superthrive (never really seen that it does much of anything except smell funky). I have completely moved away from using domes or spritzing the leaves as well.

What really did it for me was a little sample bottle of Roots Excellurator (spelling may not be correct) by House & Garden. Bumped up my success to 98%. I did a side-by-side with that and Rootone (or whatever cutting powder it is that I have, I have a couple) and it outperformed the powder. No dipping!

I must also confess that I have never worried about making sure everything's sterile, because the plants themselves are likely not sterile and it doesn't take much to inoculate, etc.

S

sirsmokealot

I've been using Cutting Edge's cloning directions from there 3 part. So I dip my rock wool cubes in a mixture of 600 ppm's of the cutting edge micro and bloom, plus i add some roots exxel and some great white or roots orgenism. Put clones in standard dome with a heat mat set at 78. I leave the vents on the dome open a quarter. Every four days or so I take of the lid and fan them with fresh air. Within 7 days some will start to root and by 10 most of them are rooted, by day 14 there all rooted. Since i started using the 600 ppms of Cutting Edge my clones stay nice and green, no fade or yellowing. I don't use any sprays anymore. Also you may wanna try putting less clones per flat, if you cram them in there some tend to get that mushy stem thing and die. Good luck

ncga

ncga

Mass Cloning 101

I also work with outdoor med clients and other with about 1400 clones per year from seed start All conditioned and light adjusted. I run about a 99.8% clone rate. For just indoor your jo is easy.

Take your rapid rooters and cut them in half like the first photo. I like to get these all done ahead of time and store them in a zip lock bag. Takes a few days but best to get it out of the way.

When ready to clone mix 6 oz Olivia's Cloning Solution to 1/2 gal water, and pour on rapid rooters in the bag.

Also place Rootone into a small Dixie cup. Use new Rootone for each cloning session. Do not let it sit out overnight and reuse

I use the rapid rooter trays that hold 50 plugs. Also a nice plastic cutting board to do my cuts on.

Take your cuts at no more than 15 at one time. you don't want them on your cutting board to long. Now take one of the cuts and make your angle cut on the end. I have to take some very small cuts to reach my number. You don't have to have a node to make it work

Take rapid rooter out of the bag and insert your cut in the wet rooter. Then squeeze the rooter of excess moisture into the tray.

Dip the wet cut into the cup with the Rootone and place in the slit on the rapid rooter, label and place in tray.

About 3/4 of the way of a full tray pour the Cloning solution into the tray.

When tray is full cover with a dome and place under T5 lighting

If the room is around 65 min to 80F max no heating mat is heating mat is needed. leave dome on for 10 day. No cheating LEAVE IT ON. Also no misting of the clones.

With this method I get full trays every time. I'm able to get cuts from plants about every 5 days

nc

DSCF0361
DSCF0364
DSCF0362
DSCF0358
DSCF0359
C

cali-grown

I second this.

first of all, the clone that i take in rock, i would never sell crappy products.
Secondly, im here to get help to fix the problem, not get chastized for my inexperience.

to those people helping me, thanks. I'll be looking into everything mentioned more closely.

ncga

ncga

Cali grown

I find rockwool to be a true Pain ! It is not really possible to go into soil from rockwool. Give the rooters a try

nc

S

SkyHi

Cali grown

I find rockwool to be a true Pain ! It is not really possible to go into soil from rockwool. Give the rooters a try

nc

What? rockwool cant go into soil?!!??!?! I DO THAT EXACT THING ALL THE TIME!!!!!!!!!

X

Xceptional

how about rockwool? pearlite? IDK what peoples issues are with cloning i never have had a issue since day one.

what about just adding a dehumidifier? IDK if that makes sense but i dont know anyone doing commercial cloning i know i would buy one.

for what it's worth in the Blue Sky/Oakesterdam has a section in the front of their catalog showing how they clone. they use rockwool (looks like slab) and AN part A @ 200ppm i believe if my memory is right.

i know i would stop using a bunch of separate trays that seems like it would be a pain I'd just build a lid out of clear plastic and pvc that would cover my whole cloning area.

X

Xceptional

that type of criticism is the shit that makes noobs lurk instead of post! dont criticize dude give him props for having the sense to ask people who know instead of just screwing up. everyone was at this point at one time! IMO if you dont want to help people and you dont need help you should stay out of threads in help sections and stick to riding balls in other peoples journals....

if you do use rapid rooters i would HIGHLY recommend taking a pair of scissors and sniping off a small piece to shove into the stem hole once the clone is in to close the gap. unlike the petemoss cubes or rockwool cubes this stuff is like a sponge so you can not squeeze it shut. you dont want the stem exposed to the air and light.

i built a aero cloner for around $100 that holds 50 cuts but you could easily make it hold 100 if you used smaller net pots/inserts (i used 2") i would have liked to use a bigger pump looking back at it. there is a tutorial on it in the DIY it's not the normal aero it's much more kick ass then the normal ones to me and i've built the standard ones most people build.

Midnight_son

Midnight_son

Premium Member
Supporter
Before I started using the EZ Cloner I used rockwool exclusively, and it worked pretty well.

norcal215

norcal215

Garden of Dreams Seed Co
I use the EZ Clone machine, (60 place). RO water with base nutes added to 150-170 ppm. I have a great sucess rate with this, 95-100%. :character0180:

agreed look at my link my clone rate is 100% return every 6 days i pump out 120 in my easy cloner and 60 out of my turbo kloner:cool0019:

X

Xceptional

What? rockwool cant go into soil?!!??!?! I DO THAT EXACT THING ALL THE TIME!!!!!!!!!

i have rockwool in soil as well with one of my moms. it isnt biodegradable which i dont like so rapid rooters sound like the better option IMO. i've only used them one time so far i need some more experience with them. here is what i've tried so far

rockwool
aeroponic
dirt
soiless
Oasis Rootcubes (petemoss/cardboard)
rapid rooters

all worked just fine with great success rate. Oasis Rootcubes required the least maintenance under my t5 in my 75 degree basement. Rockwool was next and popped through 1 day before the Rootcubes. aero is a little faster but not much. it's easier to do many more in rockwool or rootcubes then in aero so i would go that way if i were you. i'm not sure but i think the rootcubes are biodegradable since i was told they are just petemoss and cardboard and they hold as much water as rockwool in fact they felt almost too wet days later.

S

SkyHi

that type of criticism is the shit that makes noobs lurk instead of post! dont criticize dude give him props for having the sense to ask people who know instead of just screwing up. everyone was at this point at one time! IMO if you dont want to help people and you dont need help you should stay out of threads in help sections and stick to riding balls in other peoples journals....

Well maybe NOOBS should be tryin to supply clubs, patients or co-ops with clones UNTIL he KNOWs wtf hes doing....just my opinion....bro not tryin to start shit...

M

massqwon

Premium Member
Supporter

...i dont use them rapid rooters, when doing a bunch of cuts at a time,for me they seem to dry out inconsistantly, like some plugs dry lots faster than others, seems totally random sometimes, so u gotta watch em good, especially if you using a heating mat. Jiffy pellets seem to hold the moisture more consistantly. Do u put the clone heat mat directly under the trays? the cuts of yours that are turning mooshy may be because you are cookin em with that heating mat, then they dyin. if you dont have a temp control on your mat maybe put something between the mat and the tray, like a towel or Tshirt so the tray of cuts dont get so hot, and make sure your plugs dont get DRY...jus my 2c...and u may be alread doing all i mentioned. I take angled cuts then dip em in that cheep "root tone" powder( a bottle of "Root tone" powder is like $8 and is enough for several hundered cuts, easily, compared to $40 for a tub of jel, that i get a lower success rate with) then i put em in Jiffy pellets, up to 50 a tray with a 7inch dome over the tray, then put the tray of cuts under the T5's..moisten when needed..can get 46to48 success per 50 no prob ina bout a week...but i never did 1000's at a time this way. think the most we did was 12 trays at once, so we did bout like 5-6hund cuts at once....GOOD LUCK, hope ya get it dailed!!!!....

ncga

ncga

SKI

When going into soil the rapid rooter out grow the rockwool . When going outside the extra time for acclimation just won't cut it. Only so many days in the outdoor season. I have done 50 clones side by side. 50 rapidrooter and 50 rockwool cubes. The rockwool had roots faster but were stalled when placed into soil.

nc

Top Bottom