Massive Outdoor 2015 Northern Cali Grow,,,,

• Thread starter MendoGiantZ
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
MendoGiantZ

MendoGiantZ

MendoGiantZ

MendoGiantZ

Any solutions for stalk rot??? I have a really strong feeling it's because I hand water and end up getting the base of the stalk wet every two or three days. When I do find some rot I instantly rub it off and spray mad farmer hydrogen peroxide. I also build a ring around the stalk so It doesn't get wet the next time I water. I have already planned on setting up really nice drip systems next year so the hand watering will be cut off. I don't think it's from over watering. I also was planning on putting some sort of ring around the base of each stalk at the beggining of next year. Any other advice would be greatly appreciated !!

Og Gong

Og Gong

Rip Geologic
With the size of your plants maybe you can try the "Tree Tee Pee". May help protect the base and also help extend the watering period.

MendoGiantZ

MendoGiantZ

@Og Gong - Except I would be using it the opposite way,,, to keep the water away from the stalk???? Also a lot of my major branches start right at the bottom and it looks like that thing would block my major growth from the plant

MendoGiantZ

MendoGiantZ

I was thinking of something more simple, Like the Tree tee pee but with only the bottom 2 inches, That would keep the water away from pooling up around the base of the stalk and keep a nice 10" dry circle so the stalk rot doesn't occur unless i am seriously over watering..

Og Gong

Og Gong

Rip Geologic
I was thinking of something more simple, Like the Tree tee pee but with only the bottom 2 inches, That would keep the water away from pooling up around the base of the stalk and keep a nice 10" dry circle so the stalk rot doesn't occur unless i am seriously over watering..
I would maybe custom make something similar to it. It's made from plastic so it can be cut to fit easy or something made so it can help protect the stock from getting wet. Maybe build the soil up higher at the stock base and lower the soil height on the edges to help it not pool in the center.

Bulldog11

Bulldog11

Use the BOG method. When you transplant from your 5 gal to your main pots, (or whatever sizes they may be) only bury the 5 gal 3/4 of the way. This leaves a 1/4 of the 5 gal pot, or roughly 4", sitting above the main soil level of your final pot. I used to do this in the bay where I would have more moisture problems. When watering you can't really get the stalk wet because the water runs right off to the main part of the soil.

Anything getting close to harvest?

MendoGiantZ

MendoGiantZ

@Bulldog11 Good idea bull dog I'm definitely gonna do that next year... I did that this year with some of the sour D plants and it really helps... The OG x Sour seed cross is pretty darn close to being ready- Only one of the Pheno types though..... It's the nugs on the top of this page.... We just got a really good rain yesterday and had some branches break and Im gonna check the colas on it today to make sure no mold is starting... If I see any mold on it I will do my first cut and take the best and biggest colas then do another cut in about a week or so... If there is no mold I would love to leave it about 2 more weeks and It should be fully matured...

MendoGiantZ

MendoGiantZ

One garden is totally fine. Other one I cheaper out on this year and bought one roll of the smaller gauge caging and 3 of my larger plants bent it in half and totally collapsed.

MendoGiantZ

MendoGiantZ

Yeah,, So much weight on the cages its crazy.... Was already having one or two of the lankier/heavier plants start to lean over before the rain came.... Then after it came the plants that I used the cheaper fencing ( the thickness below the concrete gauge AKA pig fencing and only 7 feet tall) Just couldn't hold the weight and I had 3 Monster plants bend the whole cage and hit the ground.... We lifted them up and did as much major damage control as we could... As a group we did as much as we could and definitely saved two out of the three plants.. The whole other garden is in much better shape.. I am an idiot for not using the 8 foot tall thicker gauge cages on all of them-- Oh well... Overall I would say it was about a 4 % loss in total if you add up all the snapped branches and the couple plants that took a big hit------- On the bright side of things it actually really opened up a lot of the plants to expose light to the insides.. It also gave them a nice cleansing from the rain and really started to put them into full flowering mode.... Can't control the weather :) it also really helped with the valley fire that's going on-- sending some love out that way

MendoGiantZ

MendoGiantZ

Im surprised @outwest ... I would have thought that the higher elevation areas might get snow or other more dramatic weather then people closer to the coast or valleys... Good luck I hope we can both make it until the very end of october on the later harvesting genetics, (i have a strong feeling were gonna get another good rain and some mold where i live.. Probably gonna at least start to harvest the biggest colas by mid october -- just the way it goes

MendoGiantZ

MendoGiantZ

I've got 3-6 weeks depending on strain here in the high Rockies.

outwest
Are you doing a really nice greenhouse with heaters and vents???? what is the weather like in the rockies in late october (i thought you would definiteley get a snow storm by then)

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
Are you doing a really nice greenhouse with heaters and vents???? what is the weather like in the rockies in late october (i thought you would definiteley get a snow storm by then)

Greetings from the HIGH country. Yeah it's touch and go around here until chop time. However, we usually don't see much of the white stuff until Halloween. Peaks in the area saw their first dusting this week, but those peaks are 8000' higher than I am. I'm in a cheapo (but awesome) shelter logic GH, a box fan and space heater will be used in the next few weeks and we'll throw some reflectix over the roof. The goal is simply to keep things above freezing at night. Warm sunny days continue through October. Last year we squeaked it out and I remain confident that we'll do it again this year. Or it could snow next week.

outwest

Latest posts

Top Bottom