• Thread starter markscastle
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M

mal

Premium Member
Supporter
Mark

Check your cadallitic converter, those things get clogged and the vehicle won't run. A quick fix is to crawl under the truck and take a 16 penny nail and poke a few holes thru the thing. With this it will slowly get louder until you need to repair your exhaust. Hope you get it straightened out, good luck

mal

markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer
We`re talking about a generator,no catalitic converter on it, just a spark arrester/muffler.It` a 10,000 watt generator(Ridgid EX series) with a OHC Gasoline engine made by Subaru Industrial Products.I think it is 14.1 hp. It has 940 hours on it.Only thing I haven`t tryed is to clean out the suit in the exaust. Starts right up and runs a few min.,then acts like it`s running out of fuel.Could be from back pressure building up in the exaust? I cleaned the outside screen but haven`t tryed it yet.Will do it in the morning.

So far 2 inches of snow tonight! Watching the RV roof but I don`t think it will needs cleaned off ,at least until morning.How much weight will a RV roof take?

F

Farmer Jon

Premium Member
Supporter
Check the petcock valve, or there may possibly be a small hole in the diaphragm.
There is always the possibility of vapor lock...are the fuel lines situated in a way they could be heating up?
FJ

wobbly goblin

wobbly goblin

2 things come to mind
1:is the choke still on ?
2:is the load applied? maybe over running your gen due to water heater, etc.
turn of all circuits to the gen and keep a eye on your choke and see where it go's

fwiw

purpleberry

purpleberry

Did you pull the jets on the carb, maybe have some trash in one?

markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer
The choke is not automatic per- say so you need to set it to get it started then back it off once going. Fuel lines are not vaper locked,not hot. I tryed not having the 30 amp plug in while running.Runs maybe a little longer before stopping without any load. This thing is over kill in power output compaired to what I should need for an RV even with the AC on full so shouldn`t be a factor. Not sure what a petcock valve is. It`s not in the instruction manual. I haven`t changed any settings sense it started acting up though. The computer led screen shows no problems.

So far 5 inches of snow and it`s slowing down. I`m going to sweep of the RV load it`s tanks with water(Normal choirs) ect. then try to get the generator to run.I can charge up the batteries in the RV with jumpers from the truck but even with th inverter I can`t run the vacume and the carpet could use a good cleaning. Only other things that I need 120v for is the AC in summer and the microwave.If I can`t get it to run I`ll have to do witrhout popcorn and a clean carpet! Also would be nice to be able to run power tools to build that roof over the RV but most of the work can be done with a chain saw or hand tools.

Road in 015
F

Farmer Jon

Premium Member
Supporter
The info is relevant to most carbureted motors (not just motorcycles):

Most older motorcycles have a fuel petcock valve mounted on or nearby the fuel tank to control the supply of gasoline. In the United Kingdom it is known as a petrol tap. Meriden Triumph Bonnevilles have two petrol taps, one on each side of the tank. The petcock typically has three positions: on, off, and reserve. The reserve position accesses the bottom portion of the fuel tank. Its functionality is especially useful on older or more basic motorcycles, which may not possess a fuel gauge. Many motorcycles now have an automatic, vacuum operated, petcock, with on and reserve as well as sometimes a prime position, which bypasses the vacuum operation and allows fuel to flow to the carburetor without the engine turning over. Another common option is to have a vacuum operated petcock with no reserve, and instead use a sensor in the tank to turn a light on when low on fuel. In most cases these will not have an off option either, and the petcock will be entirely transparent to the rider and not accessible without removing the fuel tank.

When operating a motorcycle the fuel management process often proceeds as follows: when regarding vintage motorcycles, the petcock is set to the off position when the motorcycle is not being operated. This is to eliminate fuel overflow and leakage via the carburetor. Before starting the engine the petcock is turned to the on position in order to provide gasoline to the fuel delivery system.

While operating the engine there will reach a point at which fuel consumption causes the level of gasoline in the fuel tank to fall below that which can be accessed by the petcock in the on position. At that time continued operation of the engine can be maintained. This operation is achieved by accessing the remaining fuel in the fuel tank via rotating the valve in the petcock to the reserve position.

markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer
OK a petrol/gas tap. I`ll have to check on that. It`s raining now so maybe a little later.

markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer
OK time to update I gess. Been cuttin firewood last few days.Hit a chuck hole and took out the front driver side drive shaft on the truck.It`s been towed and will set me back nearly $400. Should be done tomarrow some time.Until then I`m stranded in the mountians. Kids are going to come up and help me go pick it up I gess.Maybe I`ll work on that generator tomarrow as there isn`t much else to do without my truck.

Oh tomarrow I turn 69! Dad called me today to wish me a happy Birthday day, early but he`s turning 99 in a few days so gess I`ll let it slide.Dam he just got done building a new room on the house so mom can move her quilting machine from an out building into the room. I gess it`s to cold out there for her in the winter anymore.

Storm coming in a few days and expect more snow! Im going to put bubble wrap up on the windows in my RV! I was hoping for a few more days of warm weather. I want to drop a few oak trees that are leaning over the road into my property before they get a chance to drop on there own.There is also a big dead pine tree that may not fall on the road but it would provide some firewood and it`s not far from the RV. Easy fire wood supply! Most of the road work is on hold until Spring. I may do some more cutting with the chain saw here and there.

M

mal

Premium Member
Supporter
Happy birthday

Hope your day is a good one, 69 years young. Sorry about the misinformation thought you were talking about your truck. I agree that that generator is overkill for what you need, the gas to run the thing alone is prohibitive. A Honda 2000 would work perfectly for you, there very quiet also. We used to use a coleman 3500 for camping and when we shut the thing off the other campers would clap, now we have a couple of those hondas and we can run them all night and no one cares. Also they run on a little over a gallon of gas for almost 12 hours. Sorry for the babbling, I really hope you have an excellent birthday Mark, good karma heading your way

mal

joeca1i

joeca1i

koo,happy 69th.Should ask your pop's,whats the secret to kick'n ass @ 99.

TortureKill

TortureKill

Happy Birthday Mark! Hope its a good one! Enjoy yourself man. Keep in touch, and if there's anything I can help you out with give me a shout. Your are a very kind man mark, karma will happen my man.

M

mars

Hey MC. This is mars. Happy birthday man. I hope I make it at least that long. My mom would have been 69 on Dec. 3 next month. Shit I really hope everything goes well for you. Happy birthday and God Bless You MC.

mars

DeRail

DeRail

Happy Birthday Mark
If you plan to stay the winter be sure to add RV antifreeze to your tanks if yours is not A 4 season rated RV (insulated belly pan). Also next time you are in town buy as many bails of straw or hay that you can haul and use them as skirting around you trailer it will help keep it warmer and keep your tanks from freezing.

markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer
OK got no insulation on my tanks but they drain right into an` Alaska Septic` so they don`t hold anything. The hay sounds like a good idea along with some tarp on the outside to keep it dry.

Not sure what keeps my Dad going as he has only one half plugged vain going to his hart. He`s had all the by-passes they can do years back and has a pace maker that shocks his hart now and then to keep it in retheum.He can still out work me with my disabilities though! Sad isn`t it!

Worked on my generator,sand in the gas tank partly plugging it. Some Ass wipe`s joke I gess? Not sure I want to take the tank off and clean it myself,may take it in the shop.I worked on cutting some small cedar trees down for polls to make a cover on my RV and then got a ride to pick up my truck at the shop.My daughter took me to Wally Mart and bought me a ton of warm clothing for my birthday. I got long johns, wool socks,winter gloves,flannel shirts,and a bunch more stuff I really needed! I don`t know what I did so right to have such great kids, but I`m over joyed with them all! They have all turned out to be so great !!!

Tomarrow is laundry day and if I get enough time I have a few more trees to cut down both for firewwood and polls/logs that are near by.Been eye`n this one hugh dead pine now for some time.

G

gooey

thanks for taking the time to share a little about your days, keep on keepin on, gl overwinter and best of luck on next seasons crop...peace

markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer
Oh I forgot! A realistate agent came by looking for the 10 acre property next to mine and said the owner is looking to sell it. He didn`t know for how much yet. Showed him there was no water or access yet. He said he might be able to find a local logger that would be able to clear my property and fix the road in for the lumber on my property.This would also make the property next to me more sellable as my right-a-way is behind it. I`d sure like the chance to buy the other properties around mine if possible! He also told me the 40 acres below me is BLM land.The people who have a cabin on it may have a mining claim? I was told by locals the 12 yr old boy owns the land and his mother and her BF live there Spring- Harvast is all.Still haven`t met em but I`ve heard them down below from time to time.

M

mal

Premium Member
Supporter
Sounds Like Things Are Good

Glad you had a good birthday, if I was you I'd talk to a logger and see what they can do for you. I know a guy that bought his land, had it logged he helped, and payed for his land and built his house with the money from the logs from his land. Hope your keeping warm and dry and all is well with you and yours

mal

markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer
Problem is there are a number of locals that log but many of them are crooks.How do I find one that`s honnest and will give me a fare price as well as do a good job of clean up?

Latest posts

Top Bottom