Mikedin’s garden center, Let’s grow!

• Thread starter Mikedin
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Zen_Seeker

Zen_Seeker

Oh I hear ya haha if I was doing a big 4x4 or 4x8 this would not be the way to go, but since I’ll be able to reach the full canopy easily being only 2 feet deep it should be OK I’m also trying to *KINDA* be OCD and try to evenly space the buds, couple side shoots getting close to even with her top so I’ll top those ones soon, then then next ones to reach the top, I’ll do that for the next 2 weeks then spread her under the scrog and see where we’re at as far as spread of the first screen, then everything that comes through the first screen I want to top after the first or 2nd node, it’s kinda a wait and see how she fills in but I’d like the 2nd net to be at 6-8” from the first if possible
My second is currently at 10” so I know what to remove below canopy and act as bud support.

Can’t wait to see it full! 👍

Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter
Well it was a boring morning so once I did some more garden shit I got Frostette into the 4x4 and under the new net, ended up cutting the legs 4” to meet her height, removed my LST wire at the top and got her stuffed in, and everything else rearranged in the other tent, the Veg tent is holding RH at 60% without the humidifier now that I have 5 3 gallon pots in there, so moved the humidifier into the 4x4 with the tower fan, so let’s see what she does!

I put the strawberry cough in there but she may have to go back to the 4x8 she might be too close to the light, even at 35-40%

C4E65F21 2A45 4F52 B998 E3CA490EA797
ABEEB61D DB1C 419D 8297 271A521D55AD
4E660D9F 7D99 4C5C 988E 4A86E4881257
67C4E095 AA64 4230 B07F 7C0CC51F1790
690ED0E9 66B0 4A64 A7DB B48DA04BD1AC
F5CEFF42 85D4 47F7 85DC F4C607E18BAE
B3AA05E5 7025 46C7 A149 8602E6D871A5
Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter
Mmmmm

Love when project parts show up haha

@Shaded_One I did the up pot early doing your method when I needed to amend at 4 weeks I did an up pot with the veg amend Frostette in the 5 gal and KKSC in the 3 gal, I think in a month when next Gaia top dress comes up I’ll probably be close to the flip point so I’ll top dress with the next step of 50/50 2/8/4 and 4/4/4 since I won’t be up potting the Frostette again since she’s in the scrog net now, but depending on how KKSC is doing in a month she may move to a 10 gal, haven’t decided yet if she does then she’ll get a normal soil amend

It’s gunna throw me off a bit but I have the 4x4 tent light set to majority off peak hours (6pm-noon) and the 4x8 running during the day 3am-9pm, it’ll work out better when I have the lights flipped to 12/12 the lights will run 11pm to 11am only running for 4 hours at peak, wanted it this way because even though the 4x8 I’d double the size I’m only running the FC-E8000 at 50% so about 400w to cover the 4x8 in veg, and no humidifier since it builds it’s own RH in the tent, the 4x4 still needs it, for now

C455CAFE BB1D 4386 910B 0896DD0583C9
Last edited:
Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter
Current camera setup for Frostette, I do plan to move it I haven’t decided exactly where I want it to capture the best time lapse, might position in front of the table and face twords it, camera will be too close where it’s at now once the net starts filling in I do want it at table level though to see the growth through the net

Lights turned in about 30 seconds ago lol

Goodshit97

Goodshit97

Little video of the 4x8 currently, she’s a bit packed, but mainly for the garden atm 😂😂🥬

View attachment 1348927
Whatcha got growin for the garden man?
I was thinking of doing potatoes, bell peppers, jalapeños, cucumbers, zucchini, yellow and butternut squash, radishes, carrots, lettuce, celery, a lot of stuff for my rabbits to eat🤣
Oh and only TWO tomato plants cause they produce like crazy and the ones i grew last summer were over 10 feet tall and produced probably 400 pounds of tomatoes that i tossed most of cause i can inly eat so many tomatoes

Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter
I have 300 onion starters ready,

All herbs 4 of each probably 30 just in herbs, then peas, Thai peppers, poblanos, bell peppers, about 80 tomoato plants, various other peppers, celery, 75 barefoot strawberry plants where put in last spring they’ve easily doubled to possibly tripled, I’ll put in lettuce radishes etc in direct from seed tbey only take 45 days to finish, there’s other stuff I forgot haha, still need to start another trey

Goodshit97

Goodshit97

I have 300 onion starters ready,

All herbs 4 of each probably 30 just in herbs, then peas, Thai peppers, poblanos, bell peppers, about 80 tomoato plants, various other peppers, celery, 75 barefoot strawberry plants where put in last spring they’ve easily doubled to possibly tripled, I’ll put in lettuce radishes etc in direct from seed tbey only take 45 days to finish, there’s other stuff I forgot haha, still need to start another trey
Nice!!!
Lettuce, raddishes, carrots, and basil will be directly planted here as well. Dont need long for that stuff to get ready.

Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter
Think radishes would grow in a tote full of soil in a milk crate? I know tomato & peppers do.
I’d say yes without issue, was going to give it a go, was also gunna give microgreen growing a fry to see if any local restaurants or farm markets would buy it in the summer (or winter in the tents if it sold good enough

Zen_Seeker

Zen_Seeker

We found a shopping cart overflowing with clear plastic micro veggies kits about the size of 8.5”x11”x2”. Basil, broccoli, radish, etc. Only $0.25 each.

I had just bought the tent so thought sure why not. Got about 6. Got home found out that they are $18 each! Went back and all gone.

So I grow one of the basil and it’s maybe 3” high and looks like bean sprouts. They are all like that and just taste like other veggies. Had no idea that’s what I’d end up with. 😝

Still good for salad or garnish.

Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter
We found a shopping cart overflowing with clear plastic micro veggies kits about the size of 8.5”x11”x2”. Basil, broccoli, radish, etc. Only $0.25 each.

I had just bought the tent so thought sure why not. Got about 6. Got home found out that they are $18 each! Went back and all gone.

So I grow one of the basil and it’s maybe 3” high and looks like bean sprouts. They are all like that and just taste like other veggies. Had no idea that’s what I’d end up with. 😝

Still good for salad or garnish.
I grab those little kits too lol

Just ordered hot cherry pepper and sweet banana pepper seeds forgot I needed those, wife would kill me if I didn’t do the hot cherry peppers haha gunna do about 12 of them I think, we eat a lot of them i stuff them with tons of stuff

Zen_Seeker

Zen_Seeker

Probably just need anything that’s 6-8” deep, even a flat plastic tote with holes cut in the bottom and a water catching tote under it
You mean a bag in a bag? Top one with melted holes?

I’m planning 4 crates tie wrapped in a square. 4 on top free with a black tote that fills the approx 12” crate. 3 sets of these to start. In a “L”.

If it is easy enough to keep critters off and I can protect with burlap in summer I’ll be happy.

Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter
You mean a bag in a bag? Top one with melted holes?

I’m planning 4 crates tie wrapped in a square. 4 on top free with a black tote that fills the approx 12” crate. 3 sets of these to start. In a “L”.

If it is easy enough to keep critters off and I can protect with burlap in summer I’ll be happy.
That sounds awesome, maybe line it with stainless steel screen to keep the media in? Bag system would probably work fine too just have it in a tote so it can have runoff. I’ve been contemplating using a drip system for watering the garden, but with how much I plant I’d probably need quite a bit of parts lol, it may happen though as the kits are pretty cheap and I’ll throw on a watering timer on the hose bib, I don’t feed neuts to my garden I go 100% dark leaf organic compost, put it down fresh last spring so this spring I may add a bit of peat moss to loosen it up some more but that’s about it, plain water all summer 😁

Here’s what’s going on in the tents, a bit boring, Frostette trying to reach through her net, KKSC is off in the back of the tent can barely see her over the table

Then in the other tent we have all the veggies, getting ready for the garden

Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter
Well not much going on yet in the tent, Frostette is having lots of growth about 50% of the screen is covered, once I get to that 75%ish range I’ll top everything, already getting all that lower node explosion from the stems growing horizontally so already tons of tops that have been tucked under as well,

The SC has what looks like some cal def on a bunch of leaves made some tea with gypsum and kelp meal and gave it to both yesterday, Frostette put on a new shade of green that made me happy and the SC seems like it responded well to it, I keep forgetting how bare bones strawberry fields is as far as amendments, it’s a good and bad thing… but more good, more control 😁, I know I can expect the same from the lucky dog peat moss.

Then there’s the garden work that’s really been keeping me busy lol

So here’s some quick pics of current progress

The main part of the garden (the larger dark section) is “no till” I only agitate the top 3-4” of soil and that’s it, but I checked underneath since last summer was the start of the permaculture method. The ground was rock hard with grass underneath I did the double layer of cardboard then 4-6” of 100% compost. When I let the rototiller sink in to see how much softened up I buried the tiller 😂, so the method apparently worked 👍👍.

As for the covered section, it got stripped down about 14” then piled and re-tilled with 30 lbs of peat moss and about 3 cups of gypsum , I let it sit for the day then re tilled again, shaped with runoff ditches and covered with garden fabric. Very heavy shit lol, so that’ll kill off any grass seeds etc essentially act as a mini composter, I left remaining grass, dry leaves, everything and tilled it in the peat moss is packed with Mycos so I’ll let it break down like that for another 2-3 days then cut in a few air holes for it to breathe. This will be my hot pepper location, the black fabric should increase the ambient temp around the plants and root zone, im going for the induced heat method to see if it increases the capsaicin production.

D097B960 0D31 4536 88DB 785FFF308E64
C0A6E4F8 20A2 43D3 852B A2D6802B224B
567A3E06 6458 45D0 B66B CD4188F14CC0
AABE5223 CC38 4006 9020 6982734DC957
1BB9D642 8191 49EA 8A97 76BCE3BC1AB2
Top Bottom