Mimed’s Perpetual Thread

• Thread starter MIMedGrower
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Status
Not open for further replies.
MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Root Aphids have a weakness in that the adults need to fly round just above the soil to attract a mate, this makes them fools for yellow sticky cards, knock off the adults, and there's no grubs. What I do when I grow in pots is cut a hole in the sticky card and cut a slit to the hole, and just place it round the trunk of the plants, always seems to control them, just don't start counting what's on the cards, it's very addictive. lol

I think the cards and microbe lift i use may have slowed them down for a long time. I thought i only had gnats but the mag deficiency kept getting worse. And tonight they little white crawlers were all over the pot on the plant i watered. At least now i am sure.

Tomorrow i have a plant in veg to transplant. I can get a good look and see if the veg tent is also infected. And my half full bin of pro mix.

chemistry

chemistry

Funny thing, on my last run I watched a male thrip land on a female that was stuck to a yellow card, he thought his luck was in, until he got stuck too. Was hoping to wake up the next day to see an orgy taking place. 😁 Not a lot of help I know, but it cheered me up. lol

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Funny thing, on my last run I watched a male thrip land on a female that was stuck to a yellow card, he thought his luck was in, until he got stuck too. Was hoping to wake up the next day to see an orgy taking place. 😁 Not a lot of help I know, but it cheered me up. lol

Lol

And on the down side there is a root aphid flier on the sticky card in the veg tent. One flier. But im sure the eggs are laid.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

You bet. It's one of the few things I'd use on plants in flower. You need to use 2x the standard label rate for root aphids. A few applications 5-7 days apart.

Cool. Thanks. Im still going to destroy all the plants that are not ready in the next couple weeks. I dont want to move infested plants to the new space. Im sure that there will be eggs layed hidden in the floor boards or walls of my old not very sealed converted bedroom. And i guess i should trash the remaining pro mix in my bin too. I transplanted over it every time with the soil exposed.

Then hydrogen peroxide for the ripening flowers to harvest something while i rebuild.

But if they show up in the new tent grow i know what to do.

What a bitch. Already cost me thousands. I cant believe they stayed pretty much invisible to me all this time.

What is sure to kill them off in the emptied rooms when i clear them?

How to clean properly?

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Maybe half yield but the flowers on the OG Kush x Trainwreck are looking and smelling real nice.

E038CCE9 5BD6 4A52 9E0C 50AF4F582EB6

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
They are a bitch big time. I had the same experience, multiple phantom deficiencies for several grows, I was blaming everything from bad nutrients to just thinking I'd lost my green thumb lol.

For cleaning walls and floors etc I used bleach. As insurance I'd run imidacloprid on all new vegging plants for a month or two, that way even if you get eggs hatching the imid will wipe out any aphids long enough that they wont be able to re-establish. I think it will be tough to beat them without a hard reset and then some harsh preventative IPM treatments for a little while, ideally with a nuke for RA's.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

They are a bitch big time. I had the same experience, multiple phantom deficiencies for several grows, I was blaming everything from bad nutrients to just thinking I'd lost my green thumb lol.

For cleaning walls and floors etc I used bleach. As insurance I'd run imidacloprid on all new vegging plants for a month or two, that way even if you get eggs hatching the imid will wipe out any aphids long enough that they wont be able to re-establish. I think it will be tough to beat them without a hard reset and then some harsh preventative IPM treatments for a little while, ideally with a nuke for RA's.

Got it. Thank you.

Think azamax would be sufficient alternative to Imidacloprid?

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Got it. Thank you.

Think azamax would be sufficient alternative to Imidacloprid?
Short answer, not really. Azamax and botanigard alternated might be able to knock them way back and possibly erradicate them eventually, maybe. But Imid used properly will 100% end the war, guaranteed, and it will have no negative affect on crop quality. I just like assured outcomes. And when it comes to a pest as persistent as the root aphid,... I personally wouldnt take chances.
But that's me.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Short answer, not really. Azamax and botanigard alternated might be able to knock them way back and possibly erradicate them eventually, maybe. But Imid used properly will 100% end the war, guaranteed, and it will have no negative affect on crop quality. I just like assured outcomes. And when it comes to a pest as persistent as the root aphid,... I personally wouldnt take chances.
But that's me.

Thanks again.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
FWIW, regular nicotine is about 9x more toxic than synthetic neonicotinoids. But that doesnt stop me from smoking ciggies...

I'm sure you know this but for anyone who reads it and interprets it backwards, with an LD50, the smaller the number it has, the more toxic it is.

Screenshot 20200707 134957 Samsung Internet
Screenshot 20200707 134936 Samsung Internet

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Wow this has been going on a long time!! sorry this happened to you man but at least now you know what it is, holy shit this issue goes back into last year!!

Yup. From 2 bags of soil that are long gone. A few growers told me i had them just from seeing the plants quite a while ago. But i never confirmed there were root aphids. This heat wave helped them along i guess.

This is my chance to grow my plants all together this time. I have wanted to switch to full room harvests for a long time. I am pretry sure i have 8 BLT seeds to get started.

And i can grow all the regular seeds i have acquired.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom