Mosh wants to learn to grow !

• Thread starter Moshmen
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Status
Not open for further replies.
Moshmen

Moshmen

i still say salt build up bro, that why i dont like them damn bags,once there in there ,in there they are,in a pot you could pop the bitch out and root prune it,i still think your not getting good drainage,you could run water threw there until you get the salt washed out,but that washes all your life completlty out,and when it dries your stuck with a brick ,even worse than the salt imo,honestly if you flushed that plant right there,wait how far in flower is it and what do thricomes look like

Well it’s an auto so they go pretty quick , I elected to water only about 1/2 gallon no run off cuz I think I’m I’m gonna chop it in 5-7 days may be sooner .

I do have a couple In plastic pots as well they both have advantages and my biggest issue with the fabric is uneven drying, if the fan is blowing on one side ur ducked

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

you ever heard of water curing? a guy on here told me about it last year,from arizonia he water the shit out the plant until it dies and smokes it,some how drains all nutes form the plant fighting off over watering,i never really look into it so cant really say how it works.
anyway next pot you make put a layer of flat rocks in the bottom of pot,this keeps the soil off the tray and has no choice but to drain even if you get in hurry and dont drain your trays it isnt setting in water,i feel the soil also drains better staying moist but not wet,gravity right,my pots have a layer about inch thick in bottom of them i have yet to have knats using this method,knats like the soil right on bottom that stays wet from gravity,think about it,even if plant is dry as hell ,plant gonna droop and shit,but stick your finger in the bottom that bucket gonna be drenching wet.
you can buy river rock or decorative stone from home depot or lowes i just use rocks from my driveway hahahha

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

you ever heard of water curing? a guy on here told me about it last year,from arizonia he water the shit out the plant until it dies and smokes it,some how drains all nutes form the plant fighting off over watering,i never really look into it so cant really say how it works.
anyway next pot you make put a layer of flat rocks in the bottom of pot,this keeps the soil off the tray and has no choice but to drain even if you get in hurry and dont drain your trays it isnt setting in water,i feel the soil also drains better staying moist but not wet,gravity right,my pots have a layer about inch thick in bottom of them i have yet to have knats using this method,knats like the soil right on bottom that stays wet from gravity,think about it,even if plant is dry as hell ,plant gonna droop and shit,but stick your finger in the bottom that bucket gonna be drenching wet.
you can buy river rock or decorative stone from home depot or lowes i just use rocks from my driveway hahahha

I hate to tell you this but the permanent water line just stays right above the rocks on the bottom. It is keeping the soil out of the runoff but it is also reducing the volume of the pot.

And here is the reality about bone meal, phosphorous, myco and plenty of other gardening myths.

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

I hate to tell you this but the permanent water line just stays right above the rocks on the bottom. It is keeping the soil out of the runoff but it is also reducing the volume of the pot.

And here is the reality about bone meal, phosphorous, myco and plenty of other gardening myths.

so what about gravity,do you disagree the rocks act as a barrier of the permante water line you mention? when there is air space there is no bottom,even the roots grow right from the rocks,they then prune themself from the elements ,so i agree we disagree.
works very well for me i use both indoors and outdoors,outdoors does have a down fall of worms being able to come threw the rock bottom,again the rock form a barrier were water and moisture come out the bottom of my containers,i also use mulch same way on deeper containers,also fills them were dont take as much soil ahahah,so in reality it is putting a drain tray in bottom of pot instead of sitting on one for inside,and outside it is drain holes to let down pours from rain exit the totes and containers

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

pretty much this method is for over watering issues ,which happen alot in outdoor plants,they wilt from the sun ,instinct say water me,so mama says ok and before i know it,drooping plants,with rock ,bottle and such things in pots,there isnt a bottom so water versus gravity leave all runoff gone and moisture of soil behind,yes you water more ,but that exchange is better than stagnet soil in the bottom of a 18 gal tote that has gone anerobic and stinks from water standing in bottom,the tote sit on ground and even after a little time the drain holes on bottom plug up,so that were hole in the side come in,if you wanted a permante water line you could then make it with holes on sides were the water coming out will find the side holes first i guess

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

see that study is crap,they using the soil as reference,so has layers,sand ,silt clay,clay IS the barrier you speek of,same as using in a pond to hold water,what i have indoor and out,is potting soil,big difrence,potting soil is lite and designed all around usage of fertilizers and air exchange,were soil is not,soil builds more biology because it is never distrubed ,were as potting soil is so full of peat ,perlite ,vermiculite ,rocks all kind thing to keep air movement,so in potting soil there is no base to form a perment line of nothing,only thing permenat is them roots balled up down there,the water still filters out the bottom ,has too,that why if you pot is stinking you got a problem,in soil there is no bottom,and over time it has no choice but to leach threw layer of sub soil which is pretty much clay,but still filters down and down eventually coming out as a pure water,but it isnt even permante it just a barrier

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

i dont even want to go into the blood bone and metals bullshit i use it and works great no book or study gonna tell me difrent when day in and out i see first hand what it does ,but again i agree we disagree hahahah

Wow. Take it easy. The only thing the author said about the rocks is that the water line will remain above them. Tilt the pot after drainage. More water will come out with rocks or without.

If it blocks pests great. So does a piece of bug screen.

And bone meal does not break down fast enough to do anything as it is poured. Like adding lime to soil to raise ph will take weeks to actually work.

Lotta myths. Every hobby has them.

We can agree to disagree but i could have posted the same info from a dozen college extensions or ncis. I try to use credible info the best I can.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Wow. Take it easy. The only thing the author said about the rocks is that the water line will remain above them. Tilt the pot after drainage. More water will come out with rocks or without.

And bone meal does not break down fast enough to do anything as it is poured. Like adding lime to soil to raise ph will take weeks to actually work.

We can agree to disagree but i could have posted the same info from a dozen college extensions or ncis. I try to use credible info the best I can.

Agreed, it's called a perched water table. Rocks in the bottom of pots is not a good idea. All it does is push the saturated zone higher up the pot for no good reason.

Moshmen

Moshmen

In the plastic pots I use I do line the bottom with some rocks out the yard or shells from a beach trip

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

they actually have a liqud bone meal now they claim does become avaible quicker ,no i doubt it,but who knows,just 10 yrs ago they said eating red meat was bad for the heart,now they say it dont and that eating to much fish is bad for you ,so studies are really designed just to employee folks hahahah,
speeking of,i cant remember the name of the thread,it was about blood bone azomite all the good stuff,i had that thread from back in 2015 and oh mack murder slammed down on me about it,why you telling folks to use this and that do you realize the metals in that shit and all ,im like what the hell hahahah,thought that were you were going to,my point is this,IM a broke dick son bitch with a bad heart now,any and every thing i do is done on a budget of nill,i mean nill,i make and repairs anything,became a trade years ago over seas ,sticks to this day,so if i sugest it ,doesnt mean it is the best option just the only option i had and worked for me and not intended for anyone to use it by force ,just suggestions,i suggest nothing i have never tried period,my methods amaze some and most laugh,but they work for me so i spread the wealth and suggest and that all,hahahah im just a normal every day mother fucker hahahaha no science behind any of it,hahahah
funny thing was the old boy posted a photo of himself flexed all up with 187 on his neck and a cross on his shoulder tats all over his body i guess and he talking metals to me hahah shit,had me skairt he was gonna jump threw the screen hahah

Moshmen

Moshmen

As you talk about the lime I added about a teaspoon in each 2 gallon container about 60-70 days ago think it’s still available

I love the healthy banter !

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

In the plastic pots I use I do line the bottom with some rocks out the yard or shells from a beach trip
you ever have knats,i dont,the main reason i sugested it,also drains your pots were you water more often,now if you dont want to water often,then you need to texture test some soil and make real soil texture,it does not contain perlite and stuff like that it is a balance of which ever loam you choice to use,i prefer sandy loam again for drainage,but along with the sandy loam i prefer the iron ore clay in my mix over black and gray clay base

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

As you talk about the lime I added about a teaspoon in each 2 gallon container about 60-70 days ago think it’s still available

I love the healthy banter !

I have not had a need for extra lime or oyster shell in pallets of bags of potting soil and peat lite mixes. Not even with 12 week flowering plants. They mix the proper amount at the production location.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

you ever have knats,i dont,the main reason i sugested it,also drains your pots were you water more often,now if you dont want to water often,then you need to texture test some soil and make real soil texture,it does not contain perlite and stuff like that it is a balance of which ever loam you choice to use,i prefer sandy loam again for drainage,but along with the sandy loam i prefer the iron ore clay in my mix over black and gray clay base

Agree! Gnats come primarily from overwatered soil. But I got mine from poorly stored infected bags of soil from a closed grow shop warehouse. I shouldnt have taken the deal. Once I harvest the last yellowed plant and have only new soil I bet they go away all the way. Still have some here and there now. The BTi has messed up the adults from the sick larvae. They are slow and sometimes wingless now. But i am always bringing in a fresh plant for them to try to lay eggs in.

PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

I used river rocks in the bottom of pots for years and read something a decade or so ago and stopped. When I started with the coco I didn't even think about it.

Now that iron clay soil I got a lot and when I've mixed some in my potting soil I didn't have to fertilize as often. By itself it develops a hard crust plants have a difficult time growing well in but when amended it rocks. Plants seem to love those minerals.

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

Agree! Gnats come primarily from overwatered soil. But I got mine from poorly stored infected bags of soil from a closed grow shop warehouse. I shouldnt have taken the deal. Once I harvest the last yellowed plant and have only new soil I bet they go away all the way. Still have some here and there now. The BTi has messed up the adults from the sick larvae. They are slow and sometimes wingless now. But i am always bringing in a fresh plant for them to try to lay eggs in.
never heard of bti is that a spray

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

never heard of bti is that a spray

Its a bacteria that kills and deforms mosquito and fungus gnat larvae. it is the active ingredient in mosquito dunks and bits and in a stronger concentration in a liquid product called microbe lift.

It is also used for mosquito control in standing water and ponds.

2-4 drops per gallon of water and drench soil.

@Burned Haze turned me on to it. He swears by it in his busy gardens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom