MPB Problems Root Rot

• Thread starter JMJMJM440
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
nuttso

nuttso

Our research and development professionals discovered early that PVC pipe products were renowned for experiencing problems with plant viruses(pathogens) recurring in the garden systems. Poor plant growthseemed to occur even when growing conditions seemed "perfect ". FHD once again corrected the problem. The solution, "Plant Tierâ„¢" System* PVC growing tubes and stands are treated with "titanium dioxide". This protective coating eliminates the problems experienced with disease recurrence in the root zone, as well as significantly limits the effect of "UV" rays making untreated PVC brittle and porous over time.

TrichromeFan

TrichromeFan

I am quite familiar with the green funk. This funk however was somewhere between black, brown, and grey. I think it is where the cube was too wet from a dripper hitting it.

aleYarok

aleYarok

yeah mine is black too right where the drippers are, not really any grey though... just really slimey stuff, doesnt seem to be hurting the plants.

TrichromeFan

TrichromeFan

I might just have a fuzzy memory, or see colors sometimes too.:D

B

Bobby Smith

Just them trying to sell products; there is nothing inherent in PVC which makes it a "super carrier" of pathogens/diseases.

Any aero/DWC/NFT system will need to be washed thoroughly between runs...........unless you have their special "titanium dioxide" coating, in which case you don't need to clean at all :evilgrin0040:

F

fido

reading some older post
i ran across a og that has been growing a long time and was runing buckets and dwc
stuff for years and he said that they never had die off because they used a product called RIDOMIL. its like 1 drop or 1 ml to ten gallons in the system and you wont have any more root problem shits.
ill find the post
im gonna run my own buckets until i can get jk's system.
gonna order that ridomil now
and by the time i get things in order
it will be here.

fido

O

ogh

I experienced a period of root rot in my buckets during veg... i did several things that seemed to help and saw white roots poking out in about a week thereafter...

- hydrofungicide
- raised pots out of bucket about an inch (for fear of oversoaking the cubes)
- dripped every few days
- water chillers finally came in
- started using Roots by Bloom.

O

ogh

Heres my roots after a week and a half of recovery...
photo24.JPG

N

NorcalTom

The cube that it was started in was only a 1" cube. It was way above the water line. My net pots were only 1.5" submerged in the solution.

I think that the root of the evil has to do with inside the net pot. Down below, you have a an oxygen rich, solution that the roots swim in. You can pretty easily control the area there. Next, you have the net pot, which is not submerged by solution, creating a moist area that might be more conducive to rot proliferation. I know at this point that to sterilize the media, that it has to all be in contact with the fungicide. So that leaves you with a balance of trying to fight the rot by dousing the whole net pot with fungicide, but then you are also trying to keep the crown and base of the stem not water logged. I know that you say you run your top feed 24hrs a day. Do you place the drippers, as to not hit the cube itself, or are you saturating the cube?

On to the future!

-TF[/QUOTE]

This is the questions I have been trying to get an answer for. These are the tweeks we need answers to. Where to place the drippers. I'm getting ready to start my first grow in the MPB and for the last week have made three different rings for my plants and really would like some clearification on wether we soak the rockwool or let it wick from the sides. If this is an answer that is only answered with experimenting so be it but many people used this system and yet still can not get an answer. DD if your around give us your two scents.

Tf i'm sorry to hear about your issues with this system and have always thought you have had one of the sickest and cleanest rooms build.
NCt

TrichromeFan

TrichromeFan

Thanks Tom. DD's says to stick the dripper directly into the cube itself. I just have been too chickenshit to do so myself.

-TF

Giddeon

Giddeon

This is the questions I have been trying to get an answer for. These are the tweeks we need answers to. Where to place the drippers. I'm getting ready to start my first grow in the MPB and for the last week have made three different rings for my plants and really would like some clearification on wether we soak the rockwool or let it wick from the sides. If this is an answer that is only answered with experimenting so be it but many people used this system and yet still can not get an answer. DD if your around give us your two scents.

NCt

My top feed consists of 2 pieces of spaghetti tubing running to each bucket. And a cycle timer.

Through weeks 1 - 3 I have one of the lines directly flowing into the cube while the other is flowing down the rocks on the opposite side of the other feed line. And the cycle timer is set to 5 min on 5 min off.

For weeks 4 till the end I move the feed line off the top of the cube and now both the feed lines are flowing through the rocks (opposite sides). Cycle timer set for 10 min on 5 min off. My cube stays wet the entire grow and this has never caused any problems.

During the flush each week between res changes the cycle timer is not used and the pump runs 100% of the time. Same as with the final flush, the top feed runs constantly.

N

NorcalTom

Thanks Tom. DD's says to stick the dripper directly into the cube itself. I just have been too chickenshit to do so myself.

-TF

My top feed consists of 2 pieces of spaghetti tubing running to each bucket. And a cycle timer.

Through weeks 1 - 3 I have one of the lines directly flowing into the cube while the other is flowing down the rocks on the opposite side of the other feed line. And the cycle timer is set to 5 min on 5 min off.

For weeks 4 till the end I move the feed line off the top of the cube and now both the feed lines are flowing through the rocks (opposite sides). Cycle timer set for 10 min on 5 min off. My cube stays wet the entire grow and this has never caused any problems.

During the flush each week between res changes the cycle timer is not used and the pump runs 100% of the time. Same as with the final flush, the top feed runs constantly.

Thanks guys thats what i was looking for, I have been testing my veg room for a week. I made 8" rings for my buckets and put 8 holes in each ring. My rockwool has stayed moist the hole time and I was concered that it might be to wet. I'll post pics on my thread later, I don't want to hijack this thread.

Thanks again....
NCT

Top Bottom