MPB test run

• Thread starter cardrack111
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
mikeross

mikeross

Looks pretty dank to me bro... your next run will only be better.

really outstanding job:star

B

biggs

looking good mate. its probably a good thing that you ran into problems this run, as you'll know how to avoid them on future grows. all part of learning a new system. good luck with it.

TrichromeFan

TrichromeFan

Cardrack,
looks like you rebounded from your rot issue. Have you been on the dizzle bleach supplement program since your problem? How long did it take your girls to respond?
For what you have been through, the girls look excellent. Future runs should only get better.

-TF

600gph

600gph

I just transplanted some pk cuts that were rooted in 6x6x4tall cubes last night. I took the plastic off before transplanting them in 10" net baskets filled with hydroton. When I took the plastic liners off there were lots of roots on all sides of the cube and tons on the bottom. I want them to fill the entire net basket before I move them into the mpbs in about 2 weeks. I really like the 4" tall blocks and I found a local place that stocks them.

I put about 3.5" of hydroton on the bottom of the basket, place the cube in and fill the rest of the basket with hydroton. I make my nute line 1.5" from the bottom of the net basket giving me about 2" of hydroton between the nute line and the cube. I am planning to run my drip 24/7 through the entire grow, 1200gph for 14 plants. I am hoping to see roots pop out of the bottom of the baskets within the next 2 weeks.

When I transplant them into the mpb 1.5" of roots will already be in the water upon transplant.

This is my first run doing it like this so only time will tell if it works out. So far so good.

Are you sure they make 6x6x4?????...

Be vigilant as to your water levels....

I use alot of hydroton about 6 to 8 inches of it before I put my rockwool cube on top of it....So I leave about 4 inches between the water level and my rockwool cube....If you drip from the top it doesnt matter how high you place the rockwool...

The reason I leave so much room is because as the plants get bigger and heavier the lids start to sink into the tub....Dont want those cubes sitting in water...

mc

mikeross

mikeross

Are you sure they make 6x6x4?????...

Be vigilant as to your water levels....

I use alot of hydroton about 6 to 8 inches of it before I put my rockwool cube on top of it....So I leave about 4 inches between the water level and my rockwool cube....If you drip from the top it doesnt matter how high you place the rockwool...

The reason I leave so much room is because as the plants get bigger and heavier the lids start to sink into the tub....Dont want those cubes sitting in water...

mc

yeah bro, positive they are 6x6x4 grodan delta cubes. out of about a dozen stores in my area there is only one shop that carries them. They also carry everything you need for a mpb setup and the owners really know their stuff when it comes to UC and MPBS. I went with the 4" tall blocks because They said most of the mpb guys are requesting these shorter blocks. Second run I will try a few 6x6x6 blocks to see what the difference is.

After just over a week in the 6x6x4 cubes roots are exploding everywhere out the bottom and sides that why I felt I had to transplant them into the 10" net baskets almost a week early.

I figured 2-2.5" between the nute line and my cube is enough space to keep the cube from wicking up the nute solution. I plan to place a dripper directly into the cube for the first week or 2 in the system. I will then swap out the top feed dripper for a 8" top drip ring and will have a lot more flow and run 24/7 for the entire grow. This is all in theory so we shall see this next coming month is it all works out as planned.

thanks bro

They even sell black mpb containers exactly like dd uses but they are 50 each with lid, ouch.

T

t7rln

Looks like a nice save card...good job, and thanks for sharing. Although it's never fun, we learn a lot when there are problems to overcome.

Since there is a bit of discussion about it here, I will ask...

Everything about MPB's makes sense except one seeming contradiction. The 24/7 drip vs. the "Do not soak the rockwool." It would seem to me that a 24/7 drip would cause the same problem that having rockwool below the water line would.

Anyone else have this thought, or see the difference clearly?

t7rln

Giddeon

Giddeon

Just my opinion!!!

The difference I see is: the 24/7 top fed runs the water downward through the cube flushing NEW water and nute solution through the cube constantly. When the cube is sitting in the water it wicks up what ever solution is below to the dry parts of the cube once the cube is full of water it stays this way. The water is in the cube can not be replaced and gets stagnant causing rot problems.

J

jakew215

The difference I see is: the 24/7 top fed runs the water downward through the cube flushing NEW water and nute solution through the cube constantly. When the cube is sitting in the water it wicks up what ever solution is below to the dry parts of the cube once the cube is full of water it stays this way. The water is in the cube can not be replaced and gets stagnant causing rot problems.

that makes sense, i have been reading all these root rot problems and wondering if its just a bad idea to run top feed but this makes it clear what the differences are.

i think its pretty clear to use a full net pot, remove the sleeve on the rockwool and make sure your getting good run through on your top feed through the grow. (flooding a sign of root bind in your container)

this sound about right to everyone?

T

t7rln

I have resolved to one of two thing regarding drip. Either drip three - 20 min. durations during lights on, or not run it at all.

No stagnation, no rot.

t7rln

mikeross

mikeross

I have resolved to one of two thing regarding drip. Either drip three - 20 min. durations during lights on, or not run it at all.

No stagnation, no rot.

t7rln

have you done this yet or just in theory?

I know most even with all hydroton flood only 3-5 times a day. It makes sense.

I plan to drip 24/7 for at least a week before I decide to keep it running or run it on a timer.

M

mrdizzle

I would encourage placing the feed lines directly on the rockwool and feeding 3-4 times a day for a couple minute, probably a week until there is a decent amount of roots in the water then cut the topfeed, the roots just feed in the water, exactly like UC roots feed, they do not use topfeed and it works good

the roots will grow down into the water in a short period of time, because the rockwool isnt staying soaked, and the roots will hunt out that water with a few tap roots and then its on, this way not alot of roots grow out the sides and into the net pot, if you place the drippers on the side the roots will grow out filling the top of the netpot first, taking longer to get them down swimming,

There really is no point I can see to having roots in the netpots, out of the water, just my 2cents. They arent what makes this system insane, its the roots in the water, a week of veg with a nice rootmass in the water is worth 3 weeks of standard vegging. its like you can tell the day they take hold of that water and start swimming, the plant just starts exploding in growth.

I wouldnt advice watering the rockwool directly 24/7, I know DD does this, and it clearly works well for him, but for your first run I would play it safe, with a standard rockwool feeding schedule, I dont know anyone who has had success feeding rockwool 24/7 unless it was a 1-2gph dripper and with slabs. Rockwool can get very wet and can easily cause stem rot, add root rot.

mikeross

mikeross

eating it up word for word... changing my top feed plan and gonna run a dripper directly on the rockwool cubes. I assume your running just open 1/4 tee's over each cube.

You think a mag drive 1200 would be just right for a 14 bucket setup?

M

mrdizzle

its plenty brother, so long as each dripper has water flowing its gravy, water for 5 mins and it will get fully watered no matter how low the pressure,

one feedline per plant with a "T" and (2) 4-5inch pieces of 1/4in tube off the T, stick those dripper stakes on the end of the 1/4tubing and put one on each side of the rockwool

ALso make sure there is no light getting in your system, cover everything, BROWN ALAGE is a nightmare

S

socalsinner

Mpb

its plenty brother, so long as each dripper has water flowing its gravy, water for 5 mins and it will get fully watered no matter how low the pressure,

one feedline per plant with a "T" and (2) 4-5inch pieces of 1/4in tube off the T, stick those dripper stakes on the end of the 1/4tubing and put one on each side of the rockwool

ALso make sure there is no light getting in your system, cover everything, BROWN ALAGE is a nightmare

With Dizz, Lost and these other pros your in good hands. When your ready for the MPB bins I think its good policy to take those plastic covers off.. They attract crap and can id little fuckers eating at your roots. Do your self a favor a use some type of Knat controller. I use Goknats and have use Dunks from ome Depot . You would be wise IMHO to also buy yourself some yellow sticky cards to catch any sign of infestations.. like Fungus Knats. I like to put the cards all over my 6x6 cube. I use Goknats and Zone from Dutch Farms all the time. If I didnt have Zone Id use Bleach or something else.. Dizz. Feel your cubes 3-4 times a day until you know what amount of water they need. I actually like my temps when lights off to mimick a cool night like 68, and my res is always at 64. Lights on temps make sure your checking the temps at the plant site. I bought a little laser for 20$ and you can point it toward the location you want to test the temps. Oh yeah I saw White tubing I think.. Is that covered clear tubing to protect from light? If its white and light gets in that tubing wrap it in Black tape or if your crazy like me By some of that Flex Tubing Black . Your room looks sweet brotha and very clean. Keep it that way! lol

600gph

600gph

eating it up word for word... changing my top feed plan and gonna run a dripper directly on the rockwool cubes. I assume your running just open 1/4 tee's over each cube.

You think a mag drive 1200 would be just right for a 14 bucket setup?

Dont know if you realize what you have found with those 6x6x4 cubes

It appears grodan has come out with a quick drain version of there rockwool called pargo...Got to be much better for the drip...

That is what I will get next time...Nice find..

mc

mikeross

mikeross

Dont know if you realize what you have found with those 6x6x4 cubes

It appears grodan has come out with a quick drain version of there rockwool called pargo...Got to be much better for the drip...

That is what I will get next time...Nice find..

mc

I will get some pics up of the blocks tomorrow. my PK cuts will be 14 days old since transplant into the cubes as rooted clones. They are a slow vegger but I can already tell they are going to get really bushy.

Gonna go for a smoke break... might have pics up tonight, although the kiddies just woke up:damnhippie:

S

socalsinner

Neptune Block Biggie 6. Sweet thanks

"A rockwool alternative at a smart price. Uniform fiber structure ensures optimum nutrient and pH control. Pargro blocks have air holes from top to bottom and longitudinal grooves to ensure good supply of oxygen and drainage in the root zone, meaning less risk of root rot."

MC!

Top Bottom