Mushroom thread

• Thread starter 1diesel1
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Wet weights are in, the first tub yielded 308.6 grams and the the second tub was 292.2 grams. This includes a little sub stuck to the bases lol. I harvested the first tub after 85% or so of the caps had opened up and one mushroom splooged spores. The second tub i harvested before going to bed and took them when about 25% of the caps were open, but most were still veiled, but close to breaking. Didnt want to deal with spores everywhere in the tote tomorrow.
Very happy with that.

Also... fook are the aborts ever potent. I swear i ate like 2 little aborts and i can feel them. wheeew!

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
Tub #2 first fruit harvest:) these are 6 quart shoe boxes.
5449514D 61A7 40BF 9E0A F5B2C8A45CCD

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Making good use of this vacation time with the house mostly to myself lol.

Made some agar. Didnt have petris, so this will have to do. Love the aqua marine color!
20201231 134303

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
My fruiting started but seemed to stall shortly after seeing pins and 1 or 2 larger caps. I moved it on top of a heat source and was quite surprised when I popped the top off the container. The few small pins have suddenly sprung to life and I have a couple suprisingly big shrooms. I was pretty suprised at the heft that they have. I was expecting something fairly soft and light, but these were fairly hard and heavy. Could maybe be the strain (Penis Envy or something like that), but it was a lot heavier than I was expecting. I know most is water weight, but I had a very nice New Year's surprise!!

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
OK, I had a fruiting from the jarred cakes and then things seem to have stopped after a very short flush. I still have high humidity and the mycelium seems good and healthy... you can smell the fresh mushroom smell when you pop the lid on the Perlite substrate. I get condensation on the tub's top and everything looks good, but after the initial pins and a few shrooms, things just sorta stopped. I resoaked the round cakes in a bag of water for about 18hours before replacing them in the fruiting chamber. A few days later, I still have my cakes sitting in there but no new pins or anything. Any ideas? I'm keeping it about 80f and I've tried both sitting next to a window to more muted light exposure to try to get these going again, I was considering breaking up the cakes somewhat, but was told not to do that in an earlier post in this thread.
Any suggestions?

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
OK, I had a fruiting from the jarred cakes and then things seem to have stopped after a very short flush. I still have high humidity and the mycelium seems good and healthy... you can smell the fresh mushroom smell when you pop the lid on the Perlite substrate. I get condensation on the tub's top and everything looks good, but after the initial pins and a few shrooms, things just sorta stopped. I resoaked the round cakes in a bag of water for about 18hours before replacing them in the fruiting chamber. A few days later, I still have my cakes sitting in there but no new pins or anything. Any ideas? I'm keeping it about 80f and I've tried both sitting next to a window to more muted light exposure to try to get these going again, I was considering breaking up the cakes somewhat, but was told not to do that in an earlier post in this thread.
Any suggestions?
Drop your temp to 70F seams to me you’ve got it to hit in there.
I run everything at 70F with no problems so far:)

beluga

beluga

Any suggestions?
Could be a lot of reasons for a poor flush, however, most flushes are quite short-lived, usually only lasting a few days from pins (primordia) to opening their veil.
Subsequent flushes can take a few days to a week to start up again.

I would keep them out of direct sunlight - an ambient sunlit room does just fine. Or a little low-wattage fluorescent or LED bulb.

Did you soak or heavily mist them after their first flush? They'll often want some more water content before they produce any more.
That, and air exchange - surface evaporation is what's gonna be your biggest factor in initiating pinning, so you want to keep the air flowing while also keeping the surface moisture up.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Could be a lot of reasons for a poor flush, however, most flushes are quite short-lived, usually only lasting a few days from pins (primordia) to opening their veil.
Subsequent flushes can take a few days to a week to start up again.

I would keep them out of direct sunlight - an ambient sunlit room does just fine. Or a little low-wattage fluorescent or LED bulb.

Did you soak or heavily mist them after their first flush? They'll often want some more water content before they produce any more.
That, and air exchange - surface evaporation is what's gonna be your biggest factor in initiating pinning, so you want to keep the air flowing while also keeping the surface moisture up.
The problem might be with the temps. Originally I had moved them to a slightly higher temp area (from around 70f) when I saw the first pins. My lid doesn't fit tightly and I think it is allowing enough air to circulate. My humidity levels are high with condensation. After the last fruiting, I soaked the cakes in water for about 18 hours and replaced them in thefruiting bin. I'll try moving them to a cooler location and just wait to see what happens. The mycelium looks great but feels lighter than I thought it should be. The cakes seem waterproof and didn't really gain much weight during the soak, although I usually mist them daily.

PpmOver9000

PpmOver9000

This thread is sweet since I've always wanted to do this. Most of this thread went over my head lol, any resource you guys would recommend to begin? Considering I am a total blank slate.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
As my jar cakes seem a little drier than I thought they should be after my flush finished, I soaked them for about 18 hours but they didn't seem to have absorbed any moisture that I could tell. The mycelium still is white but it isn't as "glisten-y" as it was prior. Would injecting the cakes with water, via a syringe, help things out? My tub is dripping with condensation, but the cakes are sitting on top of aluminum foil to prevent from lying directly on perlite. Should I consider the injections, remove the foil, or accept that I just got a really lousy flush?
As usual, any and all help and advice is appreciated.

Top Bottom