Mushroom thread

• Thread starter 1diesel1
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Swagmasterflex

Swagmasterflex

I bought them this time, but I'm definitely going to start making them. People are proud of their agar 🤑 lol Hopefully I can find a PC at thrift store and then my ordering will be just for new genetics

So with no visible contamination on the dishes, do you always transfer just to another plate to verify or full send on it?

tobh

tobh

Supporter
I bought them this time, but I'm definitely going to start making them. People are proud of their agar 🤑 lol Hopefully I can find a PC at thrift store and then my ordering will be just for new genetics

So with no visible contamination on the dishes, do you always transfer just to verify or full send on it?
I'm damn near shiny new to agar. When I started growing many moons ago, agar work was reserved for the most advanced clandestine mycologists, so my input here is worth less than a grain of salt.

The idea is to start on agar with any new genetics, period. Print, spore syringe, LC syringe, don't trust em at all. Especially prints and spore syringes (I'm dealing with the proof of that logic now). Once you get a clean culture (no contamination, especially bacterial ime) then you can let the plate fully colonize, chop it up, make a LC or inoculate grains directly.

Since I've been getting deeper into it, as in having poured over 100 plates in the past months, I now understand why the idea of doing a grain jar inoculation with a spore syringe is a big no-no. Two of the syringes I ran last time I grew (a couple years ago) have done nothing but produced bacterial plates. The jars did the same thing. My aseptic technique is pretty solid, this isn't my first rodeo, and untouched plates haven't contamed, soooo....

Highly recommend getting a PC ASAP. If you can foot it, my current PC is a 24 quart Merro (T-Fal) I picked up for $80. I use a turkey fryer burner to heat it which I got for free. You can't do mycology without one, at least not easily -- I've done the ghetto style of boiling jars multiple days in a row with a cardboard box SAB. a PC of decent capacity changes everything and will pay for itself in months time.

Swagmasterflex

Swagmasterflex

I'm damn near shiny new to agar. When I started growing many moons ago, agar work was reserved for the most advanced clandestine mycologists, so my input here is worth less than a grain of salt.

The idea is to start on agar with any new genetics, period. Print, spore syringe, LC syringe, don't trust em at all. Especially prints and spore syringes (I'm dealing with the proof of that logic now). Once you get a clean culture (no contamination, especially bacterial ime) then you can let the plate fully colonize, chop it up, make a LC or inoculate grains directly.

Since I've been getting deeper into it, as in having poured over 100 plates in the past months, I now understand why the idea of doing a grain jar inoculation with a spore syringe is a big no-no. Two of the syringes I ran last time I grew (a couple years ago) have done nothing but produced bacterial plates. The jars did the same thing. My aseptic technique is pretty solid, this isn't my first rodeo, and untouched plates haven't contamed, soooo....

Highly recommend getting a PC ASAP. If you can foot it, my current PC is a 24 quart Merro (T-Fal) I picked up for $80. I use a turkey fryer burner to heat it which I got for free. You can't do mycology without one, at least not easily -- I've done the ghetto style of boiling jars multiple days in a row with a cardboard box SAB. a PC of decent capacity changes everything and will pay for itself in months time.
I definitely appreciate the advice! I did the same thing for shits and gigs and the pic is the end result lol! Just like everything cultivation; practice makes perfect. And I feel like a clandestine mycologist now lol

That's a killer Price, I'll definitely have to get one before I start the next round!

20221105 114203
Z

Zill

Hey,

I am coming into this conversation pretty late.

Back in graduate school myself and another graduate student got a hold of psilocybin shrooms. We filled about a dozen quart size mason jars with rye seeds. Rye seeds not pre-coated with fungicides. The filled mason jars were autoclaved and allowed to cool. Once cooled we blended the fruiting bodies with a little water to make flowable paste and pored equal amounts to each jar. We then capped the jars and set them on a shelf. After a period of time the tops were removed to induce fruiting bodies form. They never did. But the jars were full of beautiful hyphae that bruised blue. We cut the rye/hyphae mass out of the jar and ate the moldy rye seeds. The reaming was cut into bite size chunks, the into the freezer. It seems to retain its potency forever frozen.

Holy cow!! Forget mushrooms you don't need fruiting bodies to converse with the Masiah.

Zill.

GuySmiley

GuySmiley

This is a mind-blowing mushroom also, but it's due to its deliciousness, not a psychedelic effect. I managed to find my first Hen of the Woods (Maitake) 2 years ago. I haven't found one since so last week I ordered a 100 count bag of spore plugs. Oak trees are a dime a dozen here.
Plug spawn hen of the woods maitake plug spawn 29466247692390 708xprogressive

tobh

tobh

Supporter
This is a mind-blowing mushroom also, but it's due to its deliciousness, not a psychedelic effect. I managed to find my first Hen of the Woods (Maitake) 2 years ago. I haven't found one since so last week I ordered a 100 count bag of spore plugs. Oak trees are a dime a dozen here. View attachment 1331332
i ordered some spawn from them as well. don't have access to trees, unfortunately, but with the stuff a buddy and i are working on we won't need em. master mix is great for all the wood lovers (lion's mane, reishi, maitake, shitake, oysters, etc).

good luck with the grow! best approach is fresh cut wood ime. older logs tend to have competitive colonies of fungi already so it makes colonization kinda shitty and resulting fruits aren't anything to write home about.

GuySmiley

GuySmiley

i ordered some spawn from them as well. don't have access to trees, unfortunately, but with the stuff a buddy and i are working on we won't need em. master mix is great for all the wood lovers (lion's mane, reishi, maitake, shitake, oysters, etc).

good luck with the grow! best approach is fresh cut wood ime. older logs tend to have competitive colonies of fungi already so it makes colonization kinda shitty and resulting fruits aren't anything to write home about.
I plan on cutting standing green live oaks as soon as my spores get here. I know it's important to do it before the trees start the onset of leaf buds. I will be using 4-5" diameter pieces about 11" long so they'll fit into my 10 gallon stock pot with the lid on. I plan on doing a three or four hour boil.

GuySmiley

GuySmiley

I inoculated my logs yesterday, 32 pegs per log. I'll be keeping them inside until it gets warm enough outside for good mycelium propagation. They would just go dormant if I put them outside in a Northern Michigan winter right now. Hopefully I'm getting them started soon enough to give me some fruits this fall. I saved all the mycelium being stripped off the pegs as I pounded them in. I added it along with some drill shavings to the envelope the mycelium came in. If it works, I'm going to share some with
IMG 2023 03 09 10 35 11 663
friends that want to give it a try.

NotFrankster

NotFrankster

I got 12 acres of woodlands on the north face of the mountain, alders, hardwood maples, red cedars, Douglas firs, hemlocks.... mostly. Some old growth up there. I know I've got some lions mane... oysters so far.....

need to educate myself on this subject more. I'm a total noob to mushrooms. lol.

Would be cool if I could get some viable spawns up above the cabin area. We had some big fires over the river last year, so I suspect that's going to be a good area to start. I'm on a budget these days.

Would be cool to get some psychedelics going up there too. I'd like to throttle back my cannabis use some more. Mushrooms put me in a really productive mental space.

Last edited:
Top Bottom