My first grow attempt. White Widow

• Thread starter Darkskywa1k3r
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Darkskywa1k3r

Darkskywa1k3r

Just getting started in growing.
This is my first attempt at a grow, any advice or pointers is appreciated. I have no experience at growing bud, but am very excited to get started.
Here's what I got so far to start my journey.

My first grow attempt white widow
My first grow attempt white widow 2
My first grow attempt white widow 3
My first grow attempt white widow 4
My first grow attempt white widow 5
My first grow attempt white widow 6
Choppr

Choppr

Healthy Sprouts, now only about a shot glass (1-2 ounces) every other day, stay a 1/2"inch away from the stem to avoid damping off...they look wet enough right now, let them dry out before watering. I just use natural bottled spring water for about 10 days. seedlings dont need food for up to 2 weeks - good luck farmer!

Darkskywa1k3r

Darkskywa1k3r

Here my plants are at the 2 week mark, what do you guys think?
I think 2 look pretty good, 2 are ok, and one I had to toss.
I was thinking about keeping the 2 goods ones, and putting them in 5 gallon pots. I don't wanna overcrowd the tent.
When should I start nutrients?
And when should I repot them in 5 gallon pots?

20231101 164203
20231101 164139
Deadstill

Deadstill

I'm from the government, and I'm here to help.
Supporter
This is my first attempt at a grow, any advice or pointers is appreciated. I have no experience at growing bud, but am very excited to get started.
Howdy, and welcome to the Farm! 🤠

What kind of water we using? RO/Distilled, city tap, well tap, etc.?

Here my plants are at the 2 week mark, what do you guys think?
I think 2 look pretty good, 2 are ok, and one I had to toss.
I was thinking about keeping the 2 goods ones, and putting them in 5 gallon pots. I don't wanna overcrowd the tent.
When should I start nutrients?
And when should I repot them in 5 gallon pots?

Personally, especially with photoperiods (as opposed to autoflowers) I prefer to "up-pot" in stages. This helps prevent root zone issues (such as root rot) later on down the road.

If it were me, I would transplant those to 1 gallon pots. But I would probably give them another week or two in those starters, first.

Also, here's my little speech I like to give for new growers on watering/feeding their plants -

Overwatering
Here is what I try to teach newer growers for proper watering techniques. When you go to water/feed your plants, make sure you saturate the entire pot. Generally folks look for about 10% runoff. This means you want 10% of what you put in, to come out the bottom. This means you've successfully saturated the soil in the pot and evenly and completely soaked it.​

The important part, is making sure it dries out fairly well. This will happen a little faster in fabric pots as opposed to hard plastic pots, for example.

How do I know when it's dry enough or time to water again?

After watering and completely saturating your soil as mentioned above, pick up the pot. Heft it in your hands a few times. Get an idea of how heavy it feels. Use a scale if you really want to get technical. Do this once every day. Each day you will notice it gets a little lighter. When you go to pick up the pot and it feels super light (like 1/3rd or less of the weight when fully watered) you know it's time, or almost time, to water again.

Another tip is to stick your fingers down into the soil. Stick them in a few inches, down to the middle knuckle on your fingers or 2 or 3 inches deep, and feel for moisture. If you pull your fingers out and they're damp, give it a little more time. If you don't feel any moisture in there, it's time to water again.

The reason being for all of this is because these plants are highly susceptible to root rot and other pathogens in the soil. Stagnant water in the soil is a breeding ground for pathogens and bad bacteria. These plants really like a lot of oxygen in their root zone, and regular cycles of wet and dry help keep your roots healthy and happy.

In my years of experience and giving advice to people on how to grow, this is easily the most common thing people get wrong. So, don't worry so much about how much you're watering at one time. Worry about how often you are watering. Good luck! 🤠

G

Greenthumb1967

This stuff is all great. I use cha Ching as well. Very happy

Choppr

Choppr

to me the Pots look a little too wet, I would also use bottled spring water for the 1st 2 weeks (next run), as it contains some minerals. put a hygrometer at the top soil, the micro climate your trying to create should be "early spring time", 77-81F at the topsoil, 55% RH is fine, a fan sweeping across them till they wiggle will strengthen them. dont worry so much about VPD/Transpiration for now ( i mean really? they're an inch tall) Transpiration/VPD becomes vital after they become healthy Vegative Plants (5 nodes) you gotta get them there 1st - for now they are making roots and they hate soggy soil - just create Spring Time for now, let them use up the water, and fill the cups with roots 9-10 days more then transplant. right-on!

Darkskywa1k3r

Darkskywa1k3r

I transplanted them this weekend, I hope I didn't jump the gun and transplant them too soon. They're at 2 1/2 weeks. I gave them about 1/3 strength Big Bloom, did 2 tsp in a gallon of water.

20231105 175042
20231105 175047
cannafarmer420

cannafarmer420

I ♥ fat colas
Supporter
A little bit too soon, I'm sure they'll be OK, just get the watering right.
I jump from solo cups to 7 gallons, doable just easy to overwater. I don't ever have to water really until flower when they get big in the 7 gallons. Especially with a good pre soak, like once or twice a month for veg. Love it

Top Bottom