My first grow attempt. White Widow

• Thread starter Darkskywa1k3r
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
juanderer

juanderer

Personally, especially with photoperiods (as opposed to autoflowers) I prefer to "up-pot" in stages. This helps prevent root zone issues (such as root rot) later on down the road.

If it were me, I would transplant those to 1 gallon pots. But I would probably give them another week or two in those starters, first.
What would you transfer them to next - the 5 gal pots or something in between?

I was thinking of starting a thread on specifically this question since I didn't went on a search and didn't find an answer. I want the final homes of my next grow to be 5 gal pots but want to have the pots on-hand when I start. I got 3" starter peat pots which I'm thinking of dropping into 1/2 gal pots for vegging after the seedlings are viable. Maybe 1 gal pots make more sense and then 5 - something in-between?

cannafarmer420

cannafarmer420

I ♥ fat colas
Supporter
What would you transfer them to next - the 5 gal pots or something in between?

I was thinking of starting a thread on specifically this question since I didn't went on a search and didn't find an answer. I want the final homes of my next grow to be 5 gal pots but want to have the pots on-hand when I start. I got 3" starter peat pots which I'm thinking of dropping into 1/2 gal pots for vegging after the seedlings are viable. Maybe 1 gal pots make more sense and then 5 - something in-between?
How confident you are with your watering should equal the pot size jump. You can go 1 to 3 to 5, any combo really. Personally 3 gallon for veg and then 5 gallon for flower isn't bad. Honestly evaluate your watering skills and then decide. Only make a new thread if this one doesn't get replies. People are good at following threads here, you should be fine✌

JKash

JKash

Can you out GRAV The Gravmaster???
Supporter
I'm a fan of gradual up potting... I'll start solo cups then 1 and 3 gal veg pots and flower in 7 gal pots...

Also I will not feed my seedlings for at least the 1st 30 days...

I would just keep it at just water for next few feedings

Saint1

Saint1

I have used FFOF and never fed them nutes until almost flower time of 6-8 weeks. My current run in FFHF, I fed at about 4 weeks. I use Element Nutrients 3 part system with no issues. Easy peasy. Less is more. Seems like I'm saying this a lot these days. lol

cannafarmer420

cannafarmer420

I ♥ fat colas
Supporter
I'm a fan of gradual up potting... I'll start solo cups then 1 and 3 gal veg pots and flower in 7 gal pots...

Also I will not feed my seedlings for at least the 1st 30 days...

I would just keep it at just water for next few feedings

Solo to 7 gallon is easy mode, you get giant root balls forcing roots to find water I love it. Just tons a aeration in the soil and your are golden

Choppr

Choppr

I have a PH and moisture tester coming in the mail, should be here tomorrow.
If Your in the game for real, you need the tools - Apera, Bluelab, Hanna Instruments. Buy the combo meter ppm/tds, EC, pH. (apera is the least expensive) The more expensive has the replaceable probe, they calibrate easy and hold calibration.

Darkskywa1k3r

Darkskywa1k3r

I have used FFOF and never fed them nutes until almost flower time of 6-8 weeks. My current run in FFHF, I fed at about 4 weeks. I use Element Nutrients 3 part system with no issues. Easy peasy. Less is more. Seems like I'm saying this a lot these days. lol
Ok thanks. I had someone else tell me to start nutes at 2 weeks.
I'll hold off on them until flower time.

Darkskywa1k3r

Darkskywa1k3r

If Your in the game for real, you need the tools - Apera, Bluelab, Hanna Instruments. Buy the combo meter ppm/tds, EC, pH. (apera is the least expensive) The more expensive has the replaceable probe, they calibrate easy and hold calibration.
Ok thanks. I will look into them.
I just got a cheap one

Screenshot 20231106 090051 eBay
Darkskywa1k3r

Darkskywa1k3r

How confident you are with your watering should equal the pot size jump. You can go 1 to 3 to 5, any combo really. Personally 3 gallon for veg and then 5 gallon for flower isn't bad. Honestly evaluate your watering skills and then decide. Only make a new thread if this one doesn't get replies. People are good at following threads here, you should be fine✌
I'm not confident in my watering.
What do you recommend?
I water them twice a week, just wetting the soil.

cannafarmer420

cannafarmer420

I ♥ fat colas
Supporter
I'm not confident in my watering.
What do you recommend?
I water them twice a week, just wetting the soil.
Then go slow, transplant to a 1 gallon, get the hang of it and then go to a 3 gallon. I would let them wilt to a point(not dead obviously) then count how many days it has been since last watering, subtract one and that will be ok for a bit. You want to water one day before a wilt occurs l, so that is a decent way to gauge it. First inch of soil with you finger and all that is nonsense imo. New pot or a large amount of growth and you want to redo the test to get your new timing down.

E

Eclipted

Ok thanks. I had someone else tell me to start nutes at 2 weeks.
I'll hold off on them until flower time.
I mean I wouldn’t say to hold off until flower time. Your plants may take Months to get to the size you want before flipping them to flower and they may need nutes before that time. For now they are good for sure. Fox farm ocean forest has a lot of nutrients built into the soil already. Ph your water to a 6-6.5 and you’ll be good for a while. If you start to notice nitrogen deficiency or phosphorus or whatever it is then you can start adding your nutes. I learned from my first grow it’s easier to let your plant show you what it needs than to try to guess what it needs and overdose it. This site is a miracle and there’s some bonafide weed geniuses on here. Any questions concerns whatever it is just post it on here with a picture and somebody can help. They got me all the way through my first grow and I got some fire bud out of it

juanderer

juanderer

What method do y'all use to transplant?

So far I'm considering fabric pots with the Velcro sides to open them and transfer plants + soil easily.

Is there an easier way to go about this?

AsheyBear

AsheyBear

Excited to see your grow! Awesome set up! Should work out well as long as you follow help and direction well! I’m super new too, so I’m not the best at knowledge! Just ask for help though whenever and someone will help you who’s experienced :) happy growing, and excited to see the flowers 💐

Darkskywa1k3r

Darkskywa1k3r

Excited to see your grow! Awesome set up! Should work out well as long as you follow help and direction well! I’m super new too, so I’m not the best at knowledge! Just ask for help though whenever and someone will help you who’s experienced :) happy growing, and excited to see the flowers 💐
Yeah I plan on uploading photos every couple weeks, so hopefully if something doesn't look right, someone will let me know

The_Greenist

The_Greenist

Just getting started in growing.
This is my first attempt at a grow, any advice or pointers is appreciated. I have no experience at growing bud, but am very excited to get started.
Here's what I got so far to start my journey.
I also decided to use fox farm soil and nutrients on my first grow but I cut the feeding schedule dosage amounts way down. It makes your water very acidic also so I use ph up as well.

Excited to see your grow.

Darkskywa1k3r

Darkskywa1k3r

Raise your light height or lower intensity. Also, you need to saturate all of your medium not just random spots. Take your pot size and divide by 3 to know how much volume to water each time. Good luck.
Are you saying a 3 gallon pot needs 1 gallon of water, seems like too much. And why lower lights? Do they look like there overheated?

Latest posts

Top Bottom