My First real Outdoor Run!!!

• Thread starter MitchyNugz
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
oregongreener

oregongreener

Mitch-

Have you dug any other test-holes in the general area to see if there is an area that's less saturated? If you have, and they're all the same, then you kinda have to make a choice:

1. Risk the holes anyway. I would suggest you try and dig extra deep, use drainage aggregate and make sure your soil drains WELL

2. Use big-assed pots as Mo suggested. Many a grower has had great success with outdoor container gardening

Speaking of outdoor container gardening, a buddy did as Mo outlined and eventually cut the bottom off the bucket and half-buried it in his backyard. He put a sprinkler on a timer and ignored it for the summer. By September it was 11-ft across and over 8ft tall. It was a strain called Pot of Gold. He pulled 7.5lbs of dry weight from it in the end (if I can find the pic, I'll post it). Just goes to show that mother nature and the Oregon sun can do some amazing things. Even without all the sophisticated nutrients and additives we tend to use and rely upon so much and make our grows indoors so much easier...

greener

MitchyNugz

MitchyNugz

had it rained recently when you dug those holes?

yah it had rained a bit previously to digging....It's been really sunny and warm here since I dug the holes so Im hoping that they have ried out a bit or completely....its a bit of a marshy area so only time will tell!!

I always see this stuff and get jealous. Outdo just ain't in the cards for me.

outwest

yah never really is for me either just got lucky this year and was able to do a couple last year as well!!

MNugz// keep the spot but have the container with a bottom in it for now, You don't want your plant to have wet feet. Maybe it will dry up enough where you can take the bottom out of the container but for now i would not plant in ground that has standing water. just put the container on top of the ground for now and adapt has the weather and conditions change...
good luck man.

whats up mo......yah the containers just have some holes drilled in the bottom but I dont think holes should be too bad now only 3 out of 6 got water in them so im hoping the other 3 are dried now...just gonna back fill with some gravel and rocks if it is bad but I think it should be okay.......thanks for topping by bro! appreciate the help

MitchyNugz

MitchyNugz

Mitch-

Have you dug any other test-holes in the general area to see if there is an area that's less saturated? If you have, and they're all the same, then you kinda have to make a choice:

1. Risk the holes anyway. I would suggest you try and dig extra deep, use drainage aggregate and make sure your soil drains WELL

2. Use big-assed pots as Mo suggested. Many a grower has had great success with outdoor container gardening

Speaking of outdoor container gardening, a buddy did as Mo outlined and eventually cut the bottom off the bucket and half-buried it in his backyard. He put a sprinkler on a timer and ignored it for the summer. By September it was 11-ft across and over 8ft tall. It was a strain called Pot of Gold. He pulled 7.5lbs of dry weight from it in the end (if I can find the pic, I'll post it). Just goes to show that mother nature and the Oregon sun can do some amazing things. Even without all the sophisticated nutrients and additives we tend to use and rely upon so much and make our grows indoors so much easier...

greener

whats up bro......yes only 3-6 holes were wet the others were good to go thw whole area is very similar we spread the holes out decent to test the available areas and ground is pretty soft!

im using 32gallon containers which I think should be good...my buddy did these last year and got 2 pounds minimum a plant.....If I get 1 pound a plant im a happy camper!

im just gonna re check holes and yes I will backfill with rocks and gravel if needed but I know 3 out of 6 are good to go!

thanks alot for the advice and stopping by bro much appreciated!

MitchyNugz

MitchyNugz

well im heading to the bush in the morning to check how everything is going.....ill see if holes are wet if so ill need to dig a lil deeper and back fill with gravel and rocks but I think im gonna be fine....

Im curious if Im safe to put the girls outside to start hardening off for a bit weather has been good anyone else planted yet in canada!

oregongreener

oregongreener

whats up bro......yes only 3-6 holes were wet the others were good to go thw whole area is very similar we spread the holes out decent to test the available areas and ground is pretty soft!

im using 32gallon containers which I think should be good...my buddy did these last year and got 2 pounds minimum a plant.....If I get 1 pound a plant im a happy camper!

im just gonna re check holes and yes I will backfill with rocks and gravel if needed but I know 3 out of 6 are good to go!

thanks alot for the advice and stopping by bro much appreciated!

Mitch-

No worries, mate! Glad I could be of help. I have a bit more outdoor experience than indoor, so my own indoor grow has been a learning experience. SO much has changed since I quit growing in 2005. Hell, AN was "new-ish" back then. Never liked 'em...

At any rate, it sounds like you have all the bases covered and are taking appropriate precautions. In my guerrilla days, we averaged 2.25lbs per plant, with the sole exception of the Blue Hawaiian (got about an ounce there). We grew Shiva and Blue Hawaiian (Dr. Atomic seeds), Early Girl and Early Pearl (Sensi seeds) and some "purple" strain clones that my buddy got his hands on. It was all super-bomber, knock your socks off, stuff.

Good luck, enjoy what Mother Nature provides to you this summer!!!

greener

oregongreener

oregongreener

Don't know about Canada yet, but here in OR, it's probably a good time to start (especially with the heat wave we have had recently), so maybe? A couple hours a day of diffuse sunlight is how we always used to do it, slowly increase the number of hours outside and then slowly progress to moving them into partial to full sunshine.

Think of it like changing your dog's food. Do it a little bit at a time to keep the dog from crapping all over the house.

greener

MitchyNugz

MitchyNugz

here are the plants that are going out for sure!

1 Purple Diesel
1 Galaxy
2 Jack The Ripper
1 Headband
1 Chem Valley Kush

oregongreener

oregongreener

here are the plants that are going out for sure!

1 Purple Diesel
1 Galaxy
2 Jack The Ripper
1 Headband
1 Chem Valley Kush
[\quote]

Mitch-

Nice collection!!! Some outdoor fire right there! What do you plan to do about pest prevention? Are you using Caps Bennies for these?

greener

oregongreener

oregongreener

That was weird... My post got encapsulated in the quote. Huh... Gonna have to figure out what I did wrong.

philly kush

philly kush

Mitchy is goin outdoors thats whats up,thats how i started,those plants look nice n healthy thier gonna b monsters,goodluck with this new adventure I'll b pullin up a chair for this!! Peace.

oregongreener

oregongreener

Mitch-

I just met with a fellow grower and he had a suggestion for your outdoor location. He suggested you dig the holes "moon crater" style. Think wide and relatively shallow, like a garden bed. Maybe you can keep it above the water table, but also promote even drainage.

Just a thought. Hopefully you see this before you head out in the morning so you can consider as many options as possible.

greener

MitchyNugz

MitchyNugz

Mitchy is goin outdoors thats whats up,thats how i started,those plants look nice n healthy thier gonna b monsters,goodluck with this new adventure I'll b pullin up a chair for this!! Peace.

grab that lazy boy and stay tuned philly........they gonna be big for sure and hoping the buds are as well!! thx for peeping the thread bro!

Mitch-

I just met with a fellow grower and he had a suggestion for your outdoor location. He suggested you dig the holes "moon crater" style. Think wide and relatively shallow, like a garden bed. Maybe you can keep it above the water table, but also promote even drainage.

Just a thought. Hopefully you see this before you head out in the morning so you can consider as many options as possible.

greener

whats up bro.....no I am not using caps bennies I don't really know how I get any of his stuff woulden't mind giving it a try have heard nice things about them.....I will be using safers Bioneem and Insectisidal soap for bugs used this last year and I didnt see any damage so ill stick with it!

thats a good idea as well with the moon style....I really just have to get back out and see just whats what before I can truly decide.....ill post when im back from the bush as long as a bear doesen't get me lol!

Mogrow

Mogrow

Mitch-

No worries, mate! Glad I could be of help. I have a bit more outdoor experience than indoor, so my own indoor grow has been a learning experience. SO much has changed since I quit growing in 2005. Hell, AN was "new-ish" back then. Never liked 'em...

At any rate, it sounds like you have all the bases covered and are taking appropriate precautions. In my guerrilla days, we averaged 2.25lbs per plant, with the sole exception of the Blue Hawaiian (got about an ounce there). We grew Shiva and Blue Hawaiian (Dr. Atomic seeds), Early Girl and Early Pearl (Sensi seeds) and some "purple" strain clones that my buddy got his hands on. It was all super-bomber, knock your socks off, stuff.

Good luck, enjoy what Mother Nature provides to you this summer!!!

greener
oregongreener/// i love dr atomic stuff, still puffing on his atomic jam from last year, very under the radar on this thread but a good breeder none the less. need more of his gear, more suited for outdoor grows i believe. from one guerrilla grower to another///stay green and have a little dirt under yer fingernails..

oregongreener

oregongreener

oregongreener/// i love dr atomic stuff, still puffing on his atomic jam from last year, very under the radar on this thread but a good breeder none the less. need more of his gear, more suited for outdoor grows i believe. from one guerrilla grower to another///stay green and have a little dirt under yer fingernails..

Mo-

Thanks man!!! I agree totally. Dr. Atomic's stuff LOVES outdoors Jordan of the Islands has some great stuff too. The Shiva, interestingly enough, looked the same when grown indoor or out. There will always be dirt under my nails. Still considering heading back out towards my old stomping grounds with a few dozen clones... When going guerilla, plan to lose 50% of whatever you put out there...

greener

nMEEKS

nMEEKS

Horticulturist
Supporter
What a cool project for summer Mitch! I'm stoked for you bro! :D

I think as others have said, that high water table is going to cause you more problems than it's worth. Be careful deciding to use that spot just because it has dried up a bit. . . the water table can rise and fall significantly even without a rain in you local area, and that can cause major problems from wet feet! As mentioned before, root rot is a concern outdoors because the plant is facing so many other stresses from nature is can be more susceptible to the disease.

Since you already have nice big garbage can pots, my suggestion would be to scrap the holes and spread a new layer of sand (or gravel, for drainage) on top of the marshy ground so that even if the water table reaches close to the surface, your pots won't be constantly wicking up more water. I don't know your area at all, but the outdoor season is a few months long and it would be a real bummer to see monster plants that are doing well, go downhill once the rain returns, just because of your starting location choice being in wet soil. To secure the garbage cans you could use stakes and straps over the top of the can, or some other method that I can't think of right now if the wind gets bad in your area.

With all that said, I have never grown cannabis outdoors. All I know is, in all my agriculture based classes, the main thing is always "Location, location, location!" so I wouldn't start off with a gamble, but that's just my overly cautious nature.

I hope what ever decision you make/made works out for you, and I will be here every step of the way enjoying the shit out of this show!

-Meeks:)

sox

sox

Just got back from rona....got all my tomatoe cages and bins...they are 122L black garbage bins so 32 gallons should make for some nice ladies....driving all the bales of soil to location tonight and digging holes and smoking a large blunt and a quick prayer to the ganja godz!

your probably not going to get anything bigger than 1lb platns in 32 gallons

sox

sox

Mitch-

greener

Pot of Gold is a huge yielder always...

sox

sox

Go grab some atleast some 65 gallon pots (smart pots, root pots, geo pots) anything...or make your own, material is cheeeeeeap...
That spot you were digging looks super shady, if possible more sun.
And like everyone else said, your going to be giving these ladies 5+ gallons of water when they start getting bigger, so irrigation is KEY...if you opt for a smaller pot - dig a hole, cut out the bottom of the pot, and bam....make sure you screen or put rocks down for gophers and such.
I like using lava rocks.
*your indoor nutes might not work as your going to be spending crazy $$$ trying to feed everything with expensive stuff*
Good Luck! :)

MitchyNugz

MitchyNugz

What a cool project for summer Mitch! I'm stoked for you bro! :D

I think as others have said, that high water table is going to cause you more problems than it's worth. Be careful deciding to use that spot just because it has dried up a bit. . . the water table can rise and fall significantly even without a rain in you local area, and that can cause major problems from wet feet! As mentioned before, root rot is a concern outdoors because the plant is facing so many other stresses from nature is can be more susceptible to the disease.

Since you already have nice big garbage can pots, my suggestion would be to scrap the holes and spread a new layer of sand (or gravel, for drainage) on top of the marshy ground so that even if the water table reaches close to the surface, your pots won't be constantly wicking up more water. I don't know your area at all, but the outdoor season is a few months long and it would be a real bummer to see monster plants that are doing well, go downhill once the rain returns, just because of your starting location choice being in wet soil. To secure the garbage cans you could use stakes and straps over the top of the can, or some other method that I can't think of right now if the wind gets bad in your area.

With all that said, I have never grown cannabis outdoors. All I know is, in all my agriculture based classes, the main thing is always "Location, location, location!" so I wouldn't start off with a gamble, but that's just my overly cautious nature.

I hope what ever decision you make/made works out for you, and I will be here every step of the way enjoying the shit out of this show!

-Meeks:)

thanks alot for the info meeks.....I think the area is gonna be fine personally I didnt make it out to day but going in morning for sure but I definetly won't plant if it is too bad I got a good idea on what to do so Im not to worried.....if I can't put containers in ground then no big deal I'll just adapt an overcome and leave them above ground and weight them down if needed they are pretty protected from wind so im not to worried about that......last year the two I did came out really good so Im hoping for something similar....apreciate you taking the time to type all that out bro very cool......ill keep yah posted for sure!!!

your probably not going to get anything bigger than 1lb platns in 32 gallons

Im not to worried about that my buddy flowered in these last summer and smallest plant was 2 pounds so I think container size is fine....I used way smaller rubbermaids last year and got almost a pound a plant...just want some nice outdoor to smoke for a change yield isnt my concern here!

Go grab some atleast some 65 gallon pots (smart pots, root pots, geo pots) anything...or make your own, material is cheeeeeeap...
That spot you were digging looks super shady, if possible more sun.
And like everyone else said, your going to be giving these ladies 5+ gallons of water when they start getting bigger, so irrigation is KEY...if you opt for a smaller pot - dig a hole, cut out the bottom of the pot, and bam....make sure you screen or put rocks down for gophers and such.
I like using lava rocks.
*your indoor nutes might not work as your going to be spending crazy $$$ trying to feed everything with expensive stuff*
Good Luck! :)

that pic was taking at 6pm...the spot gets decent amout of light...don't have much choice these are the safest,best and closest to are water source available so I have to make dew....I know i have to water lots and I know to irrigate plenty im not worried about any of that stuff just was really concerned about the holes filling in but whatever happens I'll make sure they get correct home!

I get my nutes at a good price so it really wont cost me that much to feed them my indoor line at all....I still might mix in some shitz and worm castings!
thanks for stopping by!

Reactions: sox
Top Bottom