My journey to the MPB Universe!

• Thread starter easypleasie
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Y

YoungDro

quick question easy, what is the recommended temperature in the mini res? my chiller is reading a constant 66 but its probably 2 to 3 degrees warmer in the mini res.

if you set chiller temp in control room to 63 it should be an even 67 in the mini rez

chrometrichs

chrometrichs

looking really good easy, tell hal i said whats up!

Heres a link for the drip emitter tubing i use, it makes top feeding super simple, no more over/under watering early on. Give it a shot on your next run or practice with some veg plants...works great on mom's as well....

M

mrdizzle

if you set chiller temp in control room to 63 it should be an even 67 in the mini rez

once again you dont know what your talking about. I set me chiller at 66 and its 67in my tubs. best thing you can do is check the temp in your tubs then you will know

E

easypleasie

I'm more concerned about making it through a full run than the yield at this point. But if I had to guess, i'm thinking 1-1.5 for the corners and 2-2.5 for the center. My center girl is about the same size as my last run in coco but with twice as many branches. I'll be able to judge better once the buds start putting on weight. The colas are usually good size but nowhere near g-13 caliber.

E

easypleasie

Weekly res changes

I'll have a photo update soon but for now, I wanted to share my setup/process i'm using for the weekly res changes.

I wanted to streamline the res change process so it was as simple as could be. Also wanted to reduce the amount of time that the bins were empty. It's not a perfect system but it's been working great for me. Maybe this could give you ideas for your own setup. I'd love to hear what others are doing.

I'm using two 50 gallon drums with a 1.5" ball valve connecting them (in case I only want to fill up one drum). Uniseals are used to connect them. My RO unit (Merlin) fills both at the same time. Takes about 2.5-3 hours. I currently have a chiller hooked up cause my water comes out in the mid to high 70s. Pump is in one drum and return line from the chiller goes into the other. Float valve is a must!

I have a 3/4" ball valve drilled into my res with a pump and water hose connected at all times. There's only about 1/2" of water when it's fully drained. I use a dedicated shop vac to suck out bits and pieces of crap that may be left.

Ok, here's my process i've used for the last two res changes.

First thing I do is have my two drums full of chilled RO water. They sit right next to my main res. I turn off all the pumps and open up the bypass valve on the bottom feed pump. As it's draining, I open the valve on the res and turn on the pump to drain everything outside into another drum. I use the old nutes to feed my garden. Then I use my shop vac to suck out the remaining 4-5 gallons.

At this point, I get my green led light and check on the roots. Visual inspection along with the sniff test. The access hatch in the bins are really convenient to have.

Now I take the return line from the RO chiller and put it in the res and start filling it up. The 70 gallon res only holds around 50 US gallons. After it's almost full, I kick on both the bottom and top feed pumps. I continue to fill the res with an additional 15-20 gallons. This is the minimum needed, otherwise the pumps won't be submerged. I don't even need to ph the water. It automatically adjusts to around 5.9-6.1 after it runs through. I add a little h202 for safe measures. I run the flush for 4-5 hours. As it's running, i'm making new chilled RO water. After it's done flushing, I drain everything again. I fill up the res and add enough nutes/additives for around 80 gallons. (I'm not doing the double flush) Take notes so you remember what you need to add to get to the right levels. I turn on the feed pumps and continue to add RO water till everything is flowing properly. Then I make minor adjustments to get the right ppms. I adjust the ph after it's been running a little while.

That's it :)

DSC2405
 DSC2401
 DSC2402
 DSC2406
 DSC2504
E

easypleasie

Day 28

Shortly after my last post, I walked into the flower room and saw the floor was covered with water. My dumbass forgot to turn the valve off that feeds my white fire. I manually turn it on to feed her but forgot to turn it off. It overflowed the drain bucket and soaked the floor. I had to remove the panda film on the floor cause it soaked through a few tears. What a pain in the ass!

Ok, these pics were taken at day 28. No issues so far other than being a little tight. I'm gonna cut a few veg days off next time. Also happy to report the hydrogen is still working lol

DSC2508
 DSC2509
 DSC2510
 DSC2531
 DSC2533
 DSC2535
 DSC2539
 DSC2541
 DSC2542
 DSC2543
TrichromeFan

TrichromeFan

Awesome input on your rez change system! Great food for thought!

Looks like you got quite the jungle in there. Awesome!

G

GWAP

Wow easypleasie, looks awesome. Good to hear you got the overflow taken care of before it created anything serious. Great thread been learning quite a bit here, thanks!

G

GBOOST

Those shots are awesome Easy!! Probably the best canna photography I have seen of late:party0044: Bad luck on the water overflow, at least you'll never do it again!! haha.

Ozzie

L

Lost

Yea, never change a MPB setup while stoned.Im installing a overflow tube to drain to make sure I don't eff it up again. After the 3rd time you will have drywall mold. Don't ask how I know..

B

biggs

dam, mate. looks like your getting the hang of this system. plants look super healthy. great work.

E

easypleasie

Thanks guys! I'm almost half way through and things are coming along nicely...despite my initial co2 issue and all the leaks and floods. Certain things you don't think about till they happen. This is where it's handy to learn from other people's mistakes lol.

I'm glad I took the panda film out as there was a funky smell under it all. That could have caused me a lot of problems. I'm gonna do a little sterilizing to be on the safe side.

What i'm discovering about hydro is you're gonna have the occasional flood. Seems there are quite a few things that can make for a bad and wet day. I highly recommend double checking all your connections!

I almost had another flood when my res was too full and a breaker popped when my dehuey kicked on. There's a good amount of water in the 4" drains and if you don't have the capacity in your res, it will overflow if your pumps lose power.

What overflow tube are you talking about, Lost? If there are other precautions to take, i'm all ears!

I passed out (got way stoned) in the process of making RO once (actually twice) and didn't have a float valve installed...woke up to an inch of water on the floor!

GBoost, thanks bro. So, what kind of pics are people interested in seeing? I personally love room builds and full plant shots. Toss some ideas my way if there's anything you guys wanna see.

L

Lost

At the top of my res, Im adding a 1 inch ebb and flow fitting and a tube goes to my drain. That way if i forget to turn my fill pump off, it goes to the drain instaed of on the floor.. Ill probablly lose 8-9 gallons of capicity but I don't run my res totally full anyway..

M

mrdizzle

that look awesome brother. how are the temps? you hooked that AC up yourself right and its running smoothly?

now, please move those plants 40in closer

E

easypleasie

That's not a bad idea, Lost. I might have to incorporate something like that for extra prevention. Bring on the ideas!

Temps are near ideal, dizzle. 82-84 during lights on and 72-74 lights off...plus or minus a degree depending on ambient temps. I can lower daytime temps but trying to take advantage of using co2. Yup, installed the minisplit myself and no signs of problems so far...keeping my fingers and toes crossed! Minisplit doesn't even have to work very hard to keep things cool. When I get some funds, i'm gonna get a few more mini-splits to replace my central air. Amazing how efficient the inverter models are.

hmm I could have some killer trunk bud if I move the plants closer lol My buds closest to the lights are slightly stressed (6-8 inches away). It's from intensity more than heat. I can put my face on the cooltube and it's only warm...I actually did this lol.

M

mrdizzle

hahhaha thats funny because I often rest my cheek on the cooltubes

E

easypleasie

lol dizzle...the only place I can stick my head up to check each girl is right behind the bulb. I wouldn't dare try that if it was bare bulb...I have enough scars from burns and don't need another one on my face hehe

Shady

Shady

Chillin' in the Shade...
Supporter
Phenomenal photos easypleasie! :giggle I think we've all flooded our floors at some point... Thx for that tutorial on the res change outs... :cool

Top Bottom