My journey to the MPB Universe!

• Thread starter easypleasie
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
TrichromeFan

TrichromeFan

What i'm discovering about hydro is you're gonna have the occasional flood. Seems there are quite a few things that can make for a bad and wet day.

I too have felt your pain. :sad0086:

Years ago,
I had a room flood so bad, that I had some mushrooms growing out of the floor afterwards!

That's why I make a the rubber floor dis time. :evilgrin0013:

M

MediMary

Hey dizzle, are you using floranova bloom and grow, or flora series nutes, like the micro grow bloom.

E

easypleasie

Pond liner would work great! That stuff is heavy duty shit. Anyone know if you can get the same material in a different color? preferably something light. I def need to do something before the start of the next run. Those moments of panic when you first discover the water is getting old.

TrichromeFan

TrichromeFan

Bam!
white-epdm-large.jpg

http://www.bestmaterials.com/images/white-epdm-large.jpg

It's EPDM 60 mil thick white industrial waterproof roofing.

E

easypleasie

Now that's what i'm talking about! I'll be looking into that for sure. Thanks for the link, bro!

Shady

Shady

Chillin' in the Shade...
Supporter
Good links... I read some peeps concern about off-gassing of certain types of pondliners... Not sure if this is an issue with them or not though... :thinking

O

omenman

shady..the best pond liner i have seen is at lowes and homdepot..dont put the polly in the floor and ic you can make it one piece..last year i had a RO system over flow for 16 hours befor i caught it and it ended up putting 130 gallons on water on the floor..now all my floors are lined 4 inchs up on all the sides one peice...

also with these systems , how long are they vegged and are they supercroped befor flower?

E

easypleasie

It's been a couple weeks since my last update and things have changed quite a bit. A lot of lessons learned this round.

I lost my biggest center girl and one corner girl from stem rot. Autopsy revealed the netpot was completely root bound and rot happened at the base of the trunk in the coco pot. It just broke right off when I pulled on it. There just wasn't enough space for roots, causing the netpot to stay too wet. Roots were wrapped solid around the outside of the netpot and water was no longer able to flow through properly. I had to shut off the top feed to save my remaining girls from dying.

I don't recommend using netpots with just holes on the bottom. If you're gonna use buckets, drill holes all up the sides to allow roots to come out, along with keeping the top feed from backing up. I noticed once I stopped top feeding 24/7, roots in the netpot thickened up and caused more cloggage.

I should have known there was gonna be a problem when the netpots first started flooding. My lack of hydro experience bit me this time. In hindsight, I should have shut off the top feed completely when the problem first started happening. I might have been able to save them all.

The first thing I noticed was my leaves were not as big as they should have been. Budding was slower than it should have been at that period in flower. I can totally see where it helps to know the strain your growing. Second was all lower fan leaves were turning yellow and stems were getting soft. At first, it looked like a case of over-watering...but I didn't think that was possible and thought it was under-feeding. I was around 1000 ppms at the start of week 5 and bumped it up to 1200. Things got worse as they were drinking water but not uptaking any nutrients. I flushed for 8 hours with h2o2 thinking there was some kind of lock-out. The plant never came back and completely died within a week. Entire plant turned yellow and all the leaves started falling off. I pulled the girl and that's when I discovered the problem. I turned off the top feed immediately after this. One other girl had to be pulled cause of the same thing. It was just too late to save her but the remaining two girls look like they will make it through to harvest.

On a brighter note, I now have room for my white fire and two 13 dawg phenos. There are still 5 girls in the room but only two are mpbs. I'll get some pics up once I get a chance.

Amazing how much you learn and understand once you gain some real experience. Everything makes a whole lot more sense now.

My time on the farm is gonna be limited since the invasion of the know-it-alls have landed. I really enjoyed the farm when we were all sharing ideas and there were no egos...but things have changed. All the pc pricks...aka desktop punks...aka online grow experts, etc...have taken over and ruined things. This place would be better off without all the egos and attitudes.

Well, that's my rant for the year. I'll try to keep this thread alive through harvest.

B

billybadazz

My time on the farm is gonna be limited since the invasion of the know-it-alls have landed. I really enjoyed the farm when we were all sharing ideas and there were no egos...but things have changed. All the pc pricks...aka desktop punks...aka online grow experts said:
Hey easy just wanted to say that I have learned a shit ton of info, that I have and will use from your endeavors. Don't let all the haters and know-it-alls get you down bro, you are a valuable asset to the farm and some people are just assholes (most people) and think since they read hightimes twice that they are mastergardeners. The farm is setting the standard for growing and the medical scene bar none. I used to be a member of one of the "other" sites and had to leave and make my home here because of all the arguments,BS, and just plain childish antics. I hope that you can just learn to ignore these turds and keep doing your thing man, because I enjoy watching watching your show.
-BB

L

Lost

EP! Noooo!!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZV9xj4ofvsM&feature=related[/youtube]

A

antimatter

Theres not really anywhere you can go, icmag is a cesspool with ip logging and ban happy moderators.

TrichromeFan

TrichromeFan

Easy,
Sorry to hear that you are having issued with those netpots. Even your problems bring a wealth of knowledge to us who are fortunate enough to read your posts.
I truly hope you stay around here.
-TF

M

mrdizzle

sorry to hear about the loss easy, I noticed some browning about 10days on a couple roots in one plant in my 6th run, so I hit them with clorox at 2tbsp per 150gallons making sure to drench the entire plants root zone, let it run for 10hrs then changed res and added h202 at 3ml per gal, let that run over night, then changed res and add 250ppm and 3ml per gal of sm-90 and ran that for a day. within a day the roots looked clean again

I couldnt figure this one out. But I now believe that the coco pots became rootbound before I ever transplanted it, or from moving the stake for my topfeed and damaging some roots which then started to rot, I honestly dont know for sure, but I have everything back in check but the one plant is pretty beat down. I have been checking all my roots 2x a day and everything seems fine. I am also adding 3ml per gal of h202 everyday or everyother. SM-90 made a huge difference IMO, it seemed like it cleaned the roots off. the top feed is off for now and time will tell how this works out. I am on it daily so I should pull through

from now on I am vegging directly into the 10in net pots and watering them 15min every 60mins.

E

easypleasie

Thanks for the support, guys. I'm not going anywhere, just not participating as much. This is still my online home as i've made some good buddies here. All the other sites are 10 times worse with the BS. BBay is cool, though. I think a lot of the kiddies left those sites and brought their crappy attitudes here. You have to be a dick just to survive on those sites...just not my style. I'd hate to see the farm get watered down with bogus info, rants and useless arguments. It's like grade school revisited lol.

After I get a few more hydro grows under my belt, i'll feel more comfortable giving growing advice. I can only help in areas that I have actual experience in...i.e. coco, vert setups, building stuff and sharing my mistakes lol.

Big thanks for the video, brother Lost. Put a big smile on my face :)

Yo dizzle, I almost pm'd you when I couldn't figure out the problem. Within a couple days, it was too late so I didn't bother. Much respect, bro...i've learned a ton from your runs.

You may be onto something with the coco pots being root bound. Mine were pretty root bound when they went into the netpots. My entire netpot was solid roots that wrapped thick around the sides. I've never seen it that bad, even in regular containers. There was nowhere for nutes to flow through. Seems like roots got suffocated and my continued use of the top feed kept everything too wet. Even on for a minute and off for 2 hours was too much after the fact.

I'll give the coco pots another try and will be watching it much more closely. The ones I use are only the size of a compact disc and 3" tall.

Dizzle, how you gonna run your next ones? Right out of an ez cloner? I might be tempted to do something along the same lines. Takes the problem of having soaked Rockwool/coco pots out of the picture. Not sure how much it affects yield but it's gotta be better than not having a yield at all.

A

amstercal

I hope you won't stop posting a diary! I really appreciate how honest and detailed you are. It's very helpful and has me thinking a lot. I personally feel like all the contributions I've seen you make are very helpful.
You will never have people stop posting the same 20 questions they could find in the Q&A, and I think it's cool that someone answers them, even if it is repetitive. Also, I'd rather the biggies on here save their typing energy for better questions. I mean, what if dizzle or lost of whoever was spending all his time here answering how to get rid of spider mites! Then again, what do I know... I'm just one of those annoying people who posts more than she should based on how much she knows! :-)
It was a rather crazy week here though!

M

mrdizzle

I know man, before you even truly realize you have a problem, its too late. this time I over reacted when I saw one brownish root.

my coco pot was like a brick, I thought the air pruning was a good thing but now, at least pairing up with dwc, now I dont think it is. but really this round I either over reacted or saved myself. my other room is growing off the hook so I dunno

my plan is to just take the rapid rooter and put it into the 10in netpot with rocks, and top feed them on a timer. I dont think its going to hurt yeild at all, its going to make the whole operation a little more sound. DD hurt his yeild that one time from trying to flip without any veg time in the buckets. I dont think its possible to have a great run without letting the girls adjust to there new home before flip. Im also not going to veg mine as long, either way 2wks is what it takes, the rootbound big girls take just as long it seems as the smaller ones to get to flip size.

these scares make me want to head back to my hempy buckets

Latest posts

Top Bottom