My Very First Grow, 3x3 Grow Tent w/ 315W CMH

• Thread starter XxHammer
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
lvstealth

lvstealth

Supporter
there is a lux app on the phone, use it to adjust your lights

i found this in another thread and use it with the app (lux meter, my mobile tools dev):

Seedling/rooted clones 5000-10000lux. (Your are stressed so 7500for a week and see how they go.

Un rooted clones under 5000 lux.

Veg 18/6 15000-45000 lux

Flower 12/12 40000-65000 lux

Always start at the low end and slowly increase. 3-5k every few days to a week. You will find the plants almost grow into the increases and moving the light is far a few between.

XxHammer

XxHammer

I know. I saw your 2 other replies. I didnt comment because I dont want to download another app on my phone. I just want to get a few opinions from other experienced growers who use CMH.

RookieBuds

RookieBuds

I'm still getting used to using CMH, but what's worked for me is keeping the light about 2ft from the canopy. I let the tops grow toward it and pay very close attention to the leaves, the second they show any signs of stress, i raise the light. I try to keep the light in that "sweet spot" where the leaves are all very erect/"praying", and not showing stress.
PXL 20210416 031952392

If the leaves' edges curl up any harder than this, i raise the light. This top is about 17" from the light, and rotated away from the center.

SwoleGrow

SwoleGrow

My Tent is 8 feet tall.

Could me keeping the light just 20'' away explain why my plants are so short? Only 3'' tall.

When I get home from work tonight I plan to give them their first full saturation watering since transplant and I will back the light off a little more closer to that 28''-30'' and see how the plants do with that.

Thanks for your help
Check your node spacing. If it’s too close they’ll barely have any space in between them and will be almost growing on top of each other.

RookieBuds

RookieBuds

Also if you have a dimmer, use that for smaller plants and seedlings. Putting the light further away to diffuse lighting can cause unwanted stretching.

SwoleGrow

SwoleGrow

Also if you have a dimmer, use that for smaller plants and seedlings. Putting the light further away to diffuse lighting can cause unwanted stretching.
True. I don’t make it past 70%in veg. I’ll start bloom at 80% and by week 5 or 6 finishing at 100%

XxHammer

XxHammer

As mentioned before. My light does not have a dimmer.

I got some new "trays," for my plants, they work much better than what I was using before. Now I just water and then suck up the excess with a little wet/dry vac.

The plants perked up a lot after just 24 hours in the soil

Veg Day 2

VegD2

Veg2a
Veg2b

XxHammer

XxHammer

Are you gonna top em?

I was actually just thinking about that today as I was looking at them. They are only about 4'' tall right now.

When is the right time to top them?

I know/ think I am getting very close to time to start instituting some LST.

Is it kind of an either/ or when it comes to Topping vs. Tying Down? My original plan included bending the plant slightly towards the edge and tying it (I know I explained that poorly, but I am sure you know what I am trying to explain)

I will get some better close-ups to post here in the next couple minutes.

ChesterCheeba

ChesterCheeba

I was actually just thinking about that today as I was looking at them. They are only about 4'' tall right now.

When is the right time to top them?

I know/ think I am getting very close to time to start instituting some LST.

Is it kind of an either/ or when it comes to Topping vs. Tying Down? My original plan included bending the plant slightly towards the edge and tying it (I know I explained that poorly, but I am sure you know what I am trying to explain)

I will get some better close-ups to post here in the next couple minutes.
With correctly done LST I have never had to top any plants. They grow more vigorously as well. I would only top to impede growth if I had strict height requirements.

XxHammer

XxHammer

D18closeup
D18b
D18c

Here are some pretty crappy close-ups.

Height is not an issue yet. These ladies are staying very low and bunched right now, Day 18 and only 4'' tall.

Also almost all of the purpling on the stems has cleared up

XxHammer

XxHammer

How often do ya'll reckon I should be watering at the point? I gave them a good watering today, until runoff from each pot. I want them to get about 24-36 hours between watering, Does this seem about right or do I want to stretch it out a bit further? closer to 2-3 days between watering?

I settled on 3.6 gal pots with FFOF. RO water enriched with CaMg.

BigCube

BigCube

You want to water when the pot is almost dry. Lifting the pot and getting to know the weight of a dry pot is crucial. The factors are too numerous to give it any specific time. Could be a day could be 5.

SwoleGrow

SwoleGrow

How often do ya'll reckon I should be watering at the point? I gave them a good watering today, until runoff from each pot. I want them to get about 24-36 hours between watering, Does this seem about right or do I want to stretch it out a bit further? closer to 2-3 days between watering?

I settled on 3.6 gal pots with FFOF. RO water enriched with CaMg.
let them dry out then pick them up and feel how light they are. Water them and when they get that light again that’s when it’s time to water.

XxHammer

XxHammer

You want to water when the pot is almost dry. Lifting the pot and getting to know the weight of a dry pot is crucial. The factors are too numerous to give it any specific time. Could be a day could be 5.

Gotcha. I got into this practice even towards the end of the Seedling stage but these pots are significantly heavier and moving them around would be a pain in the butt, id prefer to leave them stationary as much as possible.

I need to get a water filter ASAP so I can get this humidifier back up and running.

And my Landlord just dropped a Notice To Enter on me for a "Semi-Annual Inspection" on 4/20 of all days. So this oughta be interesting. I think I am going to take the day off work to make sure I am home to explain anything that may require explanation.

XxHammer

XxHammer

20210418 104358
20210418 104358
20210418 104405 HDR

Well, Day 19 From Seed. Day 3 of Veg.

Ladies are looking very good to my beginners eye.

The humidifier is getting returned to Home Depot today and replaced with a better/correct type one. And I will be getting those little cartridges/filters that remove the calcium from the tap water.

Currently I have been watering every 24-hours although I would like to get plants use to going a bit longer between right now they seem to be drying out pretty quickly.

I will be getting a Moisture Meter today. My biggest concern right now is under/over watering. Ive done as much research on the topic as possible. Now it is down to my execution.

Hopefully I can start some LST in the next couple days. Just waiting for them to get a little bigger and stronger before I go bending them over. Thoughts on WHEN to start LST?

20210418 104352
XxHammer

XxHammer

20210418 162752 HDR

Picked up this bad boy today at Home Depot to get the calcium out of the water for the Humidifier. Still learning soo much. It is definitely a lot to keep up with for a First Time grower. But I think I now have a clean source of water for my Humidifier so I dont have to worry about calcium residue ending up on my plants and all over my tent.

Still need to look into some alternative humidifiers as the one I have now isnt super effective.

XxHammer

XxHammer

20210418 181335 HDR

Updated my setup a bit. New humidifier, testing for humidity. If it is better than the Ultrasonic, ill keep it. If not then I will rock out with the Ultrasonic still.

Should I have that back air vent covered?

lvstealth

lvstealth

Supporter
when you got to the flower stage, remember to tape up the lights on all the appliances, most have leds or pwr on lights

XxHammer

XxHammer

when you got to the flower stage, remember to tape up the lights on all the appliances, most have leds or pwr on lights

Absolutely. Thank you for the reminder. I have actually been meaning to do this NOW. I think it is just my Power Strip and my Humidifier that have LED lights on them.

Top Bottom