Need advice problems before flower

• Thread starter Lockeboxgrows
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Lockeboxgrows

Lockeboxgrows

Man on your ph. Id recommend being more constent and accurate. You said your using fox farm. I take is their coco blend. Diring veg 5.8-6.0. Flower 6.0-6.4. To me your from what ive read how your growing, the plant looks like its suffering ph problems.

When plants are stressed, especially nutrient problem, always decrease the intensity of the lights.
I'm using Fox farm Happy frog soil no coco anything that I'm aware of. LOL yeah my pH levels do seem pretty inconsistent, won't lie I've never used ph up or down before and it frustrates the hell out of me haha.
I could be totally wrong, but everything I've read makes me think that pH isn't particularly so important in soil because the soil will adjust the pH on its own. With that line of thinking I've been happy to get my pH anywhere between 6 and 7 and running with it 😅

DontTreadonWeed

DontTreadonWeed

I'm using Fox farm Happy frog soil no coco anything that I'm aware of. LOL yeah my pH levels do seem pretty inconsistent, won't lie I've never used ph up or down before and it frustrates the hell out of me haha.
I could be totally wrong, but everything I've read makes me think that pH isn't particularly so important in soil because the soil will adjust the pH on its own. With that line of thinking I've been happy to get my pH anywhere between 6 and 7 and running with it 😅
So soil actually likes 6.4 to 6.8 ph. Soil can autoblance but it doesnt need to be forced to do everytime. Plus a "living soil" is more what is best at self correcting, not just regular ole soil.

PH balance is extremely important. To high or low of ph can lead to the plants absorbing heavy metals or less of the needed nutrients.

Check out general hydroponics ph up down test kit. Its like 20 bucks and last for a long long time. Super easy to use. Also will cone with a ph guide that shows how things like to be absorbed.

strider26554

strider26554

Yeah most flower nutrients cut nitrogen to early so i like to eait until end of week 2 or 3 of flowering to switch per se.

I find a transition ratio to work well. Mixing half bloom and half grow from flip until the end works well for me. But many ways to do it… you can go veg right to week 3 if you like. I just feel a transition ratio does a little better for me
What he said...I almost wait until the buds are beginning to form into colas, meaning the nodes are beginning to elongate and merge in to one long cola bfore i switch to 100% bloom nutes

Lockeboxgrows

Lockeboxgrows

Sorry soil actually likes 6.4 to 6.8 ph. Soil can autoblance but it doesnt need to be forced to do everytime. Plus a "living soil" is more what is best at self correcting, not just regular ole soil.

PH balance is extremely important. To high or low of ph can lead to the plants absorbing heavy metals or less of the needed nutrients.

Check out general hydroponics ph up down test kit. Its like 20 bucks and last for a long long time. Super easy to use. Also will cone with a ph guide that shows how things like to be absorbed.
Okay yeah I gotcha that makes a lot of sense. it's all the microbes in the living soil that do the correcting right? And awesome thanks for the info there I've known pH effects uptake but never really dove too much into it. I'm still a beginner learning day by day haha.
I've got general hydroponics pH up and down bottles but I just bought them individually no kit. Every time I use them it's a guessing game trying not to overshoot it.I will look up that guide and try to read up more on the subject

Lockeboxgrows

Lockeboxgrows

What he said...I almost wait until the buds are beginning to form into colas, meaning the nodes are beginning to elongate and merge in to one long cola bfore i switch to 100% bloom nutes
Cool I'll probably do something similar. At this point I have hardly even fed veg nutes so I'm not sure what I'm doing haha. Flipped the lights earlier though so I'd better figure out

DontTreadonWeed

DontTreadonWeed

Okay yeah I gotcha that makes a lot of sense. it's all the microbes in the living soil that do the correcting right? And awesome thanks for the info there I've known pH effects uptake but never really dove too much into it. I'm still a beginner learning day by day haha.
I've got general hydroponics pH up and down bottles but I just bought them individually no kit. Every time I use them it's a guessing game trying not to overshoot it.I will look up that guide and try to read up more on the subject
You need the ph indicator liquid. Comes with a little test tube. The blue and orange liquid is used after seei g where your ph is using the ph indicator stuff

Lockeboxgrows

Lockeboxgrows

You need the ph indicator liquid. Comes with a little test tube. The blue and orange liquid is used after seei g where your ph is using the ph indicator stuff
Is that more accurate than using a ph pen? Ive been using a hydro master pH pen to check my pH before and after adding anything. It seems like that liquid would be more accurate though in the sense of pen calibrations and errors and all that

DontTreadonWeed

DontTreadonWeed

Is that more accurate than using a ph pen? Ive been using a hydro master pH pen to check my pH before and after adding anything. It seems like that liquid would be more accurate though in the sense of pen calibrations and errors and all that
Thats honestly why i use the liquid itself. Pens to me could be inaccurate unless properly calibrated regularly. Ive been using the liquid stuff for years and never have a ph problem. Use the color indicator graph they send with the test kit. It has an indicator color code system on the bottle. But the graph is more detailed and precise with color.

Lockeboxgrows

Lockeboxgrows

Thats honestly why i use the liquid itself. Pens to me could be inaccurate unless properly calibrated regularly. Ive been using the liquid stuff for years and never have a ph problem. Use the color indicator graph they send with the test kit. It has an indicator color code system on the bottle. But the graph is more detailed and precise with color.
Cool man I'll definitely look into that thanks for the info!

growsince79

growsince79

Correct. Your ph is not the problem.

growsince79

growsince79

Why is that, is it because the ppm is 0? If so does that change after adding nutes to the mix?

Glad to hear that thanks!
yes.

DontTreadonWeed

DontTreadonWeed

Like i said many ways to skin a cat. Wheb growing limited amount of plants. Try different things with different plants. Feed one how you always have feed, another one way and another another way. See how things turn out. I love to grow because you can experiment in many ways. But science dont change on a plant. Proper ph balance is extremely important. I have a bachelors in chemistry and a minor in biology. Been growing around 10 years. Proper ph of distilled water doesnt harm your plant. Never has to mine. And never have i failed state testing.

Lockeboxgrows

Lockeboxgrows

Like i said many ways to skin a cat. Wheb growing limited amount of plants. Try different things with different plants. Feed one how you always have feed, another one way and another another way. See how things turn out. I love to grow because you can experiment in many ways. But science dont change on a plant. Proper ph balance is extremely important. I have a bachelors in chemistry and a minor in biology. Been growing around 10 years. Proper ph of distilled water doesnt harm your plant. Never has to mine. And never have i failed state testing.
I like this haha you guys have got my wheels spinning. I'm totally with you on the experimentation thing I love doing that and have been doing it in different ways.
Lmao I just love learning and growing thank you guys for being a part of that process
yes.

growsince79

growsince79

You must have missed the ph discussion. You should read @Aqua Man thread, well written and easy to understand.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Proper ph of distilled water?

I am a highschool drop out and i can tell you ph of distilled is laughable it has no alkalinity.

Our ph equipment is not even capable of accurately measuring ph in RO or distilled water.

Top Bottom