• Start date
  • Tagged users None
Aussie farm

Aussie farm

Beautiful afternoon over the back paddock and my tiny green house. 😁
20190905 175346

Kampbe1l

Kampbe1l

i just place the seeds on a plate, between moistened paper towels, then covered by small ceramic bowl.....i always had high success rate doing such.

yeah, i place mine in the bathroom vanity.....

are these the random seeds? maybe place 'em in a small bowl of water, leave overnight.... how does the seed itself look like - dark, hard and full? Older the seeds the less germination rate....

Last edited:
Aussie farm

Aussie farm

i just place the seeds on a plate, between moistened paper towels, then covered by small ceramic bowl.....i always had high success rate doing such.

yeah, i place mine in the bathroom vanity.....

are these the random seeds? maybe place 'em in a small bowl of water, leave overnight.... how does the seed itself look like - dark, hard and full? Older the seeds the less germination rate....
Seeds are 99% good and full bro not sure what's up. Need some sprouts soon though.
20190905 191114
20190905 191212

Kampbe1l

Kampbe1l

yah, they look good. 10 years is old, but with that many, you still should have a good strike rate (assuming seeds were kept in relative cool/not-harsh conditions.

how are you germinating 'em?

you could experiment with germination methods - moist papertowels, small jar of water..... I heard (not seen) some ppl score the seed with a knife (gently), then place into germination chamber...

Aussie farm

Aussie farm

yah, they look good. 10 years is old, but with that many, you still should have a good strike rate (assuming seeds were kept in relative cool/not-harsh conditions.

how are you germinating 'em?

you could experiment with germination methods - moist papertowels, small jar of water..... I heard (not seen) some ppl score the seed with a knife (gently), then place into germination chamber...
I usually do the paper towel in a zippy bag thing and place in a cupboard or straight into moist soil and keep moist. Might try a soke over night in some water then paper towel. Actually might give them all a go with 3 seeds each.. Maybe 1 seeds each cause if they all sprout I can't keep them all..

Kampbe1l

Kampbe1l

ok. you are confident with your tested methods, and i don't do that zig bag, but it does make sense.

i like the moist paper towel sandwich - as after the tiny white tap root cracks its shell, let it grow maybe half a cm, then sown into potted soil mix.

and I like to sow the germinated seed with its tap root facing upwards into the soil mix.

I would like to sow straight into the soil with the seed, but i don't know if it germinated with its tiny white tap root.

there's heaps of seeds, you got - but i would just experiment with a few at a time, life is precious!!!!! few a time, patience, give you time to adjust, to sort out what's going on, never rush, eventually you will get it sorted out.

then you can tell us, what the issue might have been. but i don't think you're doing anything really wrong.

you previously stated 'hot' - as long as the seeds are not totally dry, not in any strong light - get the tap root to crack its shell, and then sow into potted soil. 'hot' as in temperature? - that's where to keep it between moisture for its tap root.

Last edited:
PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

Soil is just home compost with worm casting and chicken poo mixed with garden soil. It probably only gets 5-6 hrs direct sunlight a day at the moment we're just coming to the end of our winter 3°C at night 28°C daytime temp. Different strain to my first I think, the only way to get seeds here is if your lucky enough to score one in your deal. :) Do I need cloning gel or something to take cuttings because that might be tricky..
No more "garden soil" in your pots. Too heavy and will compact in the pot. A lighter peat based mix with perlite works well. Amazing the difference in using lighter medium.

This isn't just for flowers, the entire grow is better. Larger, stronger, healthier plants which will yield better flowers.

PS, I HATE growing in pots but I have gophers that love my weed so to insure I have a harvest I have to have some in pots.

Aussie farm

Aussie farm

I usually do the paper towel in a zippy bag thing and place in a cupboard or straight into moist soil and keep moist. Might try a soke over night in some water then paper towel. Actually might give them all a go with 3 seeds each.. Maybe 1 seeds each cause if they all sprout I can't keep them all..
The plant a have now was from
No more "garden soil" in your pots. Too heavy and will compact in the pot. A lighter peat based mix with perlite works well. Amazing the difference in using lighter medium.

This isn't just for flowers, the entire grow is better. Larger, stronger, healthier plants which will yield better flowers.

PS, I HATE growing in pots but I have gophers that love my weed so to insure I have a harvest I have to have some in pots.
Thanks for the tip mate will try a lighter medium next time round if I can get these little suckers to sprout..

Aussie farm

Aussie farm

ok. you are confident with your tested methods, and i don't do that zig bag, but it does make sense.

i like the moist paper towel sandwich - as after the tiny white tap root cracks its shell, let it grow maybe half a cm, then sown into potted soil mix.

and I like to sow the germinated seed with its tap root facing upwards into the soil mix.

I would like to sow straight into the soil with the seed, but i don't know if it germinated with its tiny white tap root.

there's heaps of seeds, you got - but i would just experiment with a few at a time, life is precious!!!!! few a time, patience, give you time to adjust, to sort out what's going on, never rush, eventually you will get it sorted out.

then you can tell us, what the issue might have been. but i don't think you're doing anything really wrong.

you previously stated 'hot' - as long as the seeds are not totally dry, not in any strong light - get the tap root to crack its shell, and then sow into potted soil. 'hot' as in temperature? - that's where to keep it between moisture for its tap root.
Yeah summer has come early the outside humidity is about 80% and day time temps about 35°C this week while nights still drop to about 5°C.

Top Bottom