Neem oil is killing my plants

• Thread starter space101
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
DeRon1

DeRon1

hypothetical question...if i were to feed my girlz and during the feeding fluids bead up on them.(they are under hid) will there be possibility of burning?? mind you they are in early veg! just curious

Legion

Legion

hypothetical question...if i were to feed my girlz and during the feeding fluids bead up on them.(they are under hid) will there be possibility of burning?? mind you they are in early veg! just curious

Ha! Very good question. I think you might know the answer.

Yes, it can, but not because of a magnifying effect by the water beads. What happens is the water evaporates and the concentration of nutrients rises to a point where it burns.. Burning happens because of osmosis.

Also, how many times have you all seen sprinklers on during the day? Do you think all those plants are being burned by the sun because of the droplets? Ever see the sun come out after it rains? Just think about it. ;)

DeRon1

DeRon1

Yes, it can, but not because of a magnifying effect by the water beads. What happens is the water evaporates and the concentration of nutrients rises to a point where it burns.. Burning happens because of osmosis.

Also, how many times have you all seen sprinklers on during the day? Do you think all those plants are being burned by the sun because of the droplets? Ever see the sun come out after it rains? Just think about it. ;)
thats what i thought...and I'm trying to put a do and don't list together since this is my first grow and I seem to have questions and problems...being proactive since i've had dumbass problems brought on by my hand and over anxiousness....Thanks Tons for the feed back LEGION

Califlower

Califlower

A guy on youtube mixed neem oil with a wetting agent. I don't think that's needed somehow. How would it help a foliar?

Prop215Life

Prop215Life

Just went through the same thing lossed every plant other than 2 out of 11 I feel for ya man

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl

FINALLY! A sentient, knowledgeable answer!

Myco

Myco

Successful neem oil application goes like this... For example, this is how you would make a quart of foliar solution:

Mix 1 tsp/5ml raw neem oil with one 1 tsp/5ml silica (I used DynaGro neem oil and DynaGro ProTekt for silica.)

The silica acts as an emulsifier. When you mix the two together, it will be a yellow/milky looking mixture.

Add this mixture to a cup of warm water to get things really mixed.

Then add this cup of water to 3 cups of lukewarm water (the warm and lukewarm water really helps)

Stir/shake well.

Add an additional wetting agent for most efficient/effective application.

Spray right before lights out. I first spray the undersides of the foliage/branches, then a nice coating on the topsides of the leaves until the leaves are 'hanging' or 'dropping'... and no need to over-apply.

The same recipe can be used for a gallon, or 100 gallons. And like I said you can use less silica if you wish, at a 2:1 neem/silica. So for a gallon at such rate:

Mix 20ml raw neem oil with 10ml silica. Add this to a bit of warm water, stir well.

Add this to a gallon or slightly less. Stir well.

Add wetting agent.

Batta-bing. Very cheap and effective prevention against critters and powdery mildew... will not damage plants. Ever. No need to rinse the foliage after the fact. Just spray right before lights out, and you're good to go.

I've been using this method for quite a while now, and have never really seen PM in my garden...

And I live in the PNW, which is like, the PM capital of the solar system.

Neem oil also has a degree of nutritional value, and silica also bulks up your plants and strengthens stems and foilage. I apply before lights out, and once lights come back on, the plants always look very happy and green.

Not sure why everyone doesn't do this?

Cheers :)

Califlower

Califlower

Myco,

That's great! I recently found it very helpful for PM indeed, and mites. I applied it like you said, except I used 10ml 70% neem in 1 liter of water finely misted. It works fine, but I should try the emulsifier too. The fineness of the mister is important too. I was using an all-purpose mister that kinda sprayed instead of misted nicely.

OGONLY

OGONLY

I've overdone it with neem in the past and paid the price. Was lucky enough to not lose the plants but they were at a standstill and shriveling for like 2 weeks.

It's best to go light with neem, and repeat applications every few days rather than going heavy all at once. I like a high quality neem like Einstin oil. I use a few drops of coco wet (surfactant, wetting agent) per 16 oz.

Legion

Legion

When I've used neem in the past I've had the best results with Dyna Gro Neem and Einstein Neem Oil. After a while I got tired of the sticky nature of it. So, I started to use Bio Neem. It's the azadirachtin extracted from neem oil. It's lighter (thinner) and works well for bugs and haven't had it burn. If I'm fighting a fungi then I'll use something else. :)

SpiderK

SpiderK

... torturing my plants with neem every day or so, at least 5 times a week ....

Goji

Neem

O

Orellej

i am having problems with my plants and suspect neem oil. i have discoloration and drying of the leaves, yellowing etc. and one looks like it is going to lose most all leaves, probably dead but the tops are green still. is this what neem oil does when it damages plants?
the grasshoppers are very bad this year. all i have used on the plants is neem and diatomaceous earth. my cuttings are dying and i have lost a half dozen R4 cuts. i only had two seeds so this hurts. j

GoldiNugs

GoldiNugs

I've been using neem oil for years and never had a problem with it, no burning, no yellowing of leaves.

SpiderK

SpiderK

Neem (नीम) is a native tree of India, found in every parts in India especially in semi-arid conditions. The Neem Tree is an incredible plant that has been declared the "Tree of the 21st century" by the United Nations. In India, it is variously known as "Divine Tree", "Life giving tree", "Nature"s Drugstore", "Village Pharmacy" and "Panacea for all diseases". It is one of the major components in Ayurvedic medicine, which has been practiced in India since many centuries. The neem is an ancient Indian cure-all due to its antibacterial, antifungal, antiviral, antihistamine and antiseptic properties.The neem leaves, flowers, seeds, roots, bark and fruits are utilized to treat inflammation, infections, skin diseases and for dental care.

In India's ancient Ayurvedic Medical texts it is explained that every part of the Neem tree has health promoting benefits. What is clear from the above information is that the general population of India for, over 5000 years, has used Neem safely and effectively. In fact the people of India call the Neem Tree "The Village Pharmacy". It is also called Holy Tree (Azadirachta indica.). In ancient times neem was the most celebrated medicinal plant of India and found mention in a number of Puranic texts like the Atharava Veda, Upanivahod, Amarkosha and Ghrysutra. They all dealt with the outstanding qualities of the neem tree as a source of medicine and as a natural pesticide.

Latest posts

Top Bottom