New 2 Hydro Questions & General Chatting About Hydroponics

• Thread starter Mr.D0p3sauce
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Mr.D0p3sauce

Mr.D0p3sauce

Hello everyone, so I'm kinda new here on the forums. Hope I'm posting in the right section...

Anyways this is my first attempt at a flood and drain setup in rockwool. I've been doing everything from what I can find online thru this forum but not sure what I'm doing wrong here. So I soaked my 6" Hugo blocks in 5.5 ph water for about 15mins. Then I transplanted my clones from jiffy pellets to the rockwool. Ever since the transplant. They haven't really been growing. Instead they look like they are turning more yellow. Can any1 tell me what I'm doing wrong.

This is my current specs of my lay out.
The ph is 5.5, the ppm is about 550ppm or 1.1 ec, The res temp is about 74f, the temp of the canopy is 79-81f, with RH at about 65-70, the room has co2 at 1100-1500 ppm thru out the day.... Everything sounds like it's suppose to be where optimal conditions are at but. I'm getting yellowing and no vigor in growth. If this was done in soil with those specs usually my clones would be taking off by now. I'm thinking maybe make new clones n try coco coir?
New 2 hydro questions  general chatting about hydroponics 2
New 2 hydro questions  general chatting about hydroponics 3
New 2 hydro questions  general chatting about hydroponics 4
New 2 hydro questions  general chatting about hydroponics 5
New 2 hydro questions  general chatting about hydroponics 6
New 2 hydro questions  general chatting about hydroponics 7

New 2 hydro questions  general chatting about hydroponics

Mr.D0p3sauce

Mr.D0p3sauce

20170906 131320
The above post is day 1. Im now sevens day in and this is what it currently looks like..... Not so happy looking =(

On day 1 Thursday I only fed for 6 mins. On Saturday I fed again for another 6 mins. Then again on another 6 mins on Sunday, and again on tuesday and wensday.

Some1 told me that I might be not getting enough nutes?... that I need to feed more often like every 4 hours and flood for 10mins long. Does this sound about right? Are my nutes too strong or too weak? What do you guys think im doing wrong and what can i do to fix it fast?
Or
20170907 022749
Should i just take new cutting n go coco coir?
20170906 131402

Last edited:
J

johnny prince

Those are big blocks , you definitely don't need to water every 4 hours with such small clones just transplanted in them . At this early stage you should just keep an eye on them and water them one by one when they are almost totally dry . After they put on some growth and roots start shooting out of the bottom of the blocks and they are drying out more or less in a uniform manner then you can put the flood and drain pumps on . My opinion.

G gnome

G gnome

Those are big blocks , you definitely don't need to water every 4 hours with such small clones just transplanted in them . At this early stage you should just keep an eye on them and water them one by one when they are almost totally dry . After they put on some growth and roots start shooting out of the bottom of the blocks and they are drying out more or less in a uniform manner then you can put the flood and drain pumps on . My opinion.
This is EXACTLY what i was gonna suggest! Kinda treat em like u wud dirt.....wait till they feel light b4 watering them and water each block individually.

@EventHorizan @G gnome thanks for the help guys really appreciate it.

No problem.

Another thing is imo ur hitting em pretty damn hard w light.....those look like 1k mh right? I wud back way off on the light till they gain a foot hold. U have to ease em into that strong of a light, man. In my opinion this is where the majority of ur problem is.

74 deg rez aint the worst but if u can get it down to 68 that wud be ideal.

EventHorizan

EventHorizan

@EventHorizan @G gnome thanks for the help guys really appreciate it.
How you doing brother? Sorry you had such hard time finding some info.
My thoughts are, thier over watered.
I think your ec is fine and ph..
How high is that light?
I would either reduce that light or move it farther away TILL they get going.
Also dont flood them so high. Only flood half the block 1 time for just long enough to raise the water level to halfway on the block. Maybe 2 to 3 mins...
For now i would quit auto watering and do as they above have suggested. Let them dry out some then hand water each individually as they need it till you see roots coming out...

Welcome to the farm brother!

Mr.D0p3sauce

Mr.D0p3sauce

This is EXACTLY what i was gonna suggest! Kinda treat em like u wud dirt.....wait till they feel light b4 watering them and water each block individually.

No problem.

Another thing is imo ur hitting em pretty damn hard w light.....those look like 1k mh right? I wud back way off on the light till they gain a foot hold. U have to ease em into that strong of a light, man. In my opinion this is where the majority of ur problem is.

Yeah I'm use to poping them in soil with 1k mh about that height. If In soil they would be looking pretty good by now.... Thanks for the tips. I will take em off Auto water and start water by hand for a while. Il also nerf the 1k down to 600w. Do you think they will eventually die? Or do they have a fair chance of bouncing back? Or Should I just make new clones?

Mr.D0p3sauce

Mr.D0p3sauce

How you doing brother? Sorry you had such hard time finding some info.
My thoughts are, thier over watered.
I think your ec is fine and ph..
How high is that light?
I would either reduce that light or move it farther away TILL they get going.
Also dont flood them so high. Only flood half the block 1 time for just long enough to raise the water level to halfway on the block. Maybe 2 to 3 mins...
For now i would quit auto watering and do as they above have suggested. Let them dry out some then hand water each individually as they need it till you see roots coming out...

Welcome to the farm brother!

Thanks for the warm welcome bro. So I now nerfed the lights down to 600. They are about 2foot away from the canopy. Im now only running 3 inch stacks instead of 4. Should i only be running 2 stacks?... does it ussualy take awhile for the clone to get rooted into the rockwool?...

Mr.D0p3sauce

Mr.D0p3sauce

20170519 181258
20170327 145829
20170327 143510
20170327 144824
20170213 174934
20170213 145132
20170213 144903
20170213 144725
20170128 163858
20170128 154538

20161220 205837
20161214 145013
20161130 221925
20161130 221750

This Is usually my quality that comes out. But I been doing soil my whole life... So I decided to trying something new.

EventHorizan

EventHorizan

Thanks for the warm welcome bro. So I now nerfed the lights down to 600. They are about 2foot away from the canopy. Im now only running 3 inch stacks instead of 4. Should i only be running 2 stacks?... does it ussualy take awhile for the clone to get rooted into the rockwool?...
When you say stacked i guess u mean stackibg the 4x4 rockwool cubes.
My understanding is you stack once roots have penetrated the first one.
I would move yoyr 600 up to 3 feet till we get them healthy again. And yes i think they will be fine.

Mr.D0p3sauce

Mr.D0p3sauce

When you say stacked i guess u mean stackibg the 4x4 rockwool cubes.
My understanding is you stack once roots have penetrated the first one.
I would move yoyr 600 up to 3 feet till we get them healthy again. And yes i think they will be fine.

Kool I'l move em up a little higher. When I said stacks. I mean the little 1 inch stack thing that goes where the flood and drain happen. It's a 1inch stack. I was using 4 of them. Maybe I will remove 1 or 2 of them. It regulates the height of the flood before it drains back into the res.

EventHorizan

EventHorizan

Kool I'l move em up a little higher. When I said stacks. I mean the little 1 inch stack thing that goes where the flood and drain happen. It's a 1inch stack. I was using 4 of them. Maybe I will remove 1 or 2 of them. It regulates the height of the flood before it drains back into the res.
Ah... Yes i know what you mean. I would only use enough for half the block to get flooded.. So maybe 1 or 2... Prob 2..

RHINObeast

RHINObeast

I decide to post alot of pix from old batchs so people don't tired of looking at my sad hydro plants lol..... here's wat I usually do. Sea of green.View attachment 738569 View attachment 738570
dude thats mint, nice job. As far as the clones go, too much light. I use a 65 watt bulb per 9 clones, I've actually never read the ppms in the cloner i use, but its 5 ml per liter of water i believe, and it holds 6 liters, so 30 ml solution per reservoir, loving those bud shots, what strain is that?

PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

Check the runoff pH, also, cut your ppms back to ~ 200, slowly raise as root development increases to take more goodness into the plant leaves. I don't increase above 650 until i get a fair amount of pistils, then max ~ 800ppm for a couple weeks, then start to back down

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter

No problem.

Ya I saw that as well. T5's or cfl's are just right for clones. Way too much intensity with HID. I also noticed from your truncheon your feeding at 600 ppm or 1.2 ec. You might want to drop the feed to around 3-400 until you getting stronger roots and more foliage. Just a suggestion.

G gnome

G gnome

Ya I saw that as well. T5's or cfl's are just right for clones. Way too much intensity with HID. I also noticed from your truncheon your feeding at 600 ppm or 1.2 ec. You might want to drop the feed to around 3-400 until you getting stronger roots and more foliage. Just a suggestion.
I dont think hes feeding too high....i feed much higher right out the cloner myself but then again not everyone can be g gnome !!! Haha

Latest posts

Top Bottom