• Thread starter burn4me
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None

homemade cabinet vs grow tent

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
burn4me

burn4me

I'm guessing this is how/where i create my own log. Hope so lol. Im a new farmer and still in the pondering stage so any advice would be welcome and appreciated. Been researching many ways of farming and decided on a few things. 1 i know i want a/c 400w HPS setup. Coco medium. Thats where i got utterly overwhelmed. Seen a ton of great dyi cabinets and thought i could build my own. So do i need to treat the wood before i use it or is the toxins in treatment bad? Only want to make sure i have no mold from moisture in air built up. Or if i was to paint it with flat white layer would that prevent mold etc? Also been looking at grow tents/kits. Found a 400w hps grow tent kit for 440 usd. And figured after my lights and everything down to last screw in homemade cabinet Would cost close to the same give or take a few dollars if i get all ghetto. Which i dont want to do AT ALL. I am just on a budget. So please fill free to drop knowledge on me if you lean more for dyi or tent or really any info/advice. Happy Farming

Gatelee

Gatelee

What's up man? I voted for the tent but I wouldn't get the kit. It'll be cheaper to buy everything seperate. When I first started growing I used at 400 watt in a tent. I didn't find out til later that 1000 watts are definitely the way to go. So I recommend that if that's possible for you. Tents get hot so make sure you have something to cool it with. I use a window ac unit and it works well for me. Good call on the coco.

burn4me

burn4me

Ive looked for it separate but came up with higher price. Where and how do you figure i can do that? Any ideas?

Gatelee

Gatelee

Amazon has everything you need for cheap. My setup is real cheap. I use 1000 watt bare bulbs hung vertically. An ac unit. And a $50 portable heater.

burn4me

burn4me

Im trying to be low key for 1 and less hassle of heating and cooling. Its in cool basement and im getting an overkill fan just to have option to eliminate heat if needed. Should regulate fine. Really leaning heavy on tent. Nice cool basement overkill on intake/outake plus only running 400w on light. Want to not have to use heating and/or cooling xtras if at all possible. I am going to look up to buy separate. Kinda worried though. Wouldn't buying all that on that one place be a bit much? Im a bit skiddish because of cops. Aren't we all lbvs

green bastard

green bastard

hey bro!....a fan will not get the heat out of your room i hace 4 in my room and with the door closed with no ac it can spike to 40 degree's celcius....ive your burning big lights in a tent it just wont work with out an ac unit!....anybody who says its cheap rto build a room is crazy im not even gonna get into figures on what i spent....just dont cut corners if something is a better product for $20 more go for it!...iom here for the ride bro you beed some help shoot me a PM

DismalDude

DismalDude

Hello Burn,I voted tent as well.The big A has great prices too.I got a 4x4x78-$140.00
400watt cool tube kit with mh/hps and timer-$160(I paid less on sale)(The 600 watt kit is only $7 more) 240 cfm inline fan-$36 25ft. duct-$20
Carbon filter-$70.A good start and the price was right.
I'd love to run 1000watt but I doubt I'll go above 600.
I know a lot of people that do their shopping online but as far as it being unsafe I couldn't tell you.
Anyway,welcome and good luck!

Last edited:
Gatelee

Gatelee

Im trying to be low key for 1 and less hassle of heating and cooling. Its in cool basement and im getting an overkill fan just to have option to eliminate heat if needed. Should regulate fine. Really leaning heavy on tent. Nice cool basement overkill on intake/outake plus only running 400w on light. Want to not have to use heating and/or cooling xtras if at all possible. I am going to look up to buy separate. Kinda worried though. Wouldn't buying all that on that one place be a bit much? Im a bit skiddish because of cops. Aren't we all lbvs

When i started growing I tried to get away with only using a fan to cool my 400 watt light and the tent would get around 100 degrees. My buds were shit until I figured out that keeping my temps below 80 was the way to go. Don't waste your time and money dude. Get something to cool that light with.

I've never had a problem ordering anything online. A 400 watt kit is not going to cause suspicions. If you're not comfortable with ordering stuff online then I would try Craigslist.

burn4me

burn4me

When i started growing I tried to get away with only using a fan to cool my 400 watt light and the tent would get around 100 degrees. My buds were shit until I figured out that keeping my temps below 80 was the way to go. Don't waste your time and money dude. Get something to cool that light with.

I've never had a problem ordering anything online. A 400 watt kit is not going to cause suspicions. If you're not comfortable with ordering stuff online then I would try Craigslist.
So even an A/C light with good sized fan won't do? Fuuuuuccccckkkkk

Gatelee

Gatelee

I've tried that route as well. It wasn't enough to cool my room. Cooling a 400 watt won't take a lot of ac. I've found 4000 btu ac units on Craigslist for $50. You don't even need that much btu for a 400 watt. The reason you want to get an ac unit is because you want a consistent temp in your room. To get the best buds you don't want temperature swings. Also keep in mind that when your lights are off you will need to control the temps as well. I use a portable heater to keep my temps ok during lights off.

Gatelee

Gatelee

hey bro!....a fan will not get the heat out of your room i hace 4 in my room and with the door closed with no ac it can spike to 40 degree's celcius....ive your burning big lights in a tent it just wont work with out an ac unit!....anybody who says its cheap rto build a room is crazy im not even gonna get into figures on what i spent....just dont cut corners if something is a better product for $20 more go for it!...iom here for the ride bro you beed some help shoot me a PM

He's setting up a 400 watt tent.. He can definitely do that for cheap.

burn4me

burn4me

He's setting up a 400 watt tent.. He can definitely do that for cheap.
ok so how the hell do i hook a/c to my tent? Run ducting from it? That makes me want to build one then instead. At least then i can build one in it. Lol seems like a lot. Ive seen alot of ppl with similar types of tent and no ac. Hows that possible i its needed? Totally lost now

burn4me

burn4me

Could i couple a/c with thermo-hygrostat? Then only have it kick in when needed? That with good fan/vent should save energy with a/c unit being that it shouldn't take very long to cycle out heat. We have high energy bills in Illinois so i want to avoid my grow from going belly up due to no funds cuz of power bill.

Gatelee

Gatelee

You'll have to build a box around the back of the ac and vent the air out. That's what I did with a window ac unit. Yes you need an ac with a thermostat so it'll only kick on when it goes over the desired temp.

burn4me

burn4me

Really seems like a hassle even though buying the tent is supposed to be hassle free. So really im screwed either way. Its either hassle of building or hassle of spending extra funds on something that's supposed to be hassle free and self sufficient. Not gonna lie...a little bewildered right now.

burn4me

burn4me

Would you post pictures of your ac setup so i can get an example

burn4me

burn4me

alright decided to gut my closet and just run with a cfl for now. 15000 lumens. will upgrade after a little saving. anyway my closet is 3x5x8.5. what kind of intake/exaust should i buy? will be using intake filter of course so do i go bigger on fan? or since its only cfl for now will computer fans be ok? it will be sealed room too. i hope ive been thorough enough to have this answered. please need advice soon. thanks

Top Bottom