New grow area, my first dedicated space

• Thread starter TomH
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
TomH

TomH

All of a sudden, all the white hairs have begun to turn reddish. Yesterday there were only a couple, fewer than 10%, this morning it looks like it’s getting on closer to 50%.

It’s very well stacked and beginning to fill out.

Near the middle of the 6th week of an expected 10 to 12.

About a week ago I dropped another bean, sativa bag seed. Looking forward to having a regular supply chain later this year.

IMG 6231
IMG 6232
IMG 6229
IMG 6226
IMG 6227
IMG 6230
IMG 6233
IMG 6228
IMG 6184
IMG 6183
mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

Definitely don't waste your time with days of darkness to induce flowering. That is bro science at its worst.

Not a single person that I've run into who swears by 24 hours of darkness or longer, to induce flowering, has actually timed how long it takes to flower by doing that, compared to just flipping to 12/12.

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

All of a sudden, all the white hairs have begun to turn reddish. Yesterday there were only a couple, fewer than 10%, this morning it looks like it’s getting on closer to 50%.

It’s very well stacked and beginning to fill out.

Near the middle of the 6th week of an expected 10 to 12.

About a week ago I dropped another bean, sativa bag seed. Looking forward to having a regular supply chain later this year.
So how's the scent when you rub those sugar leaves?

RootsRuler

RootsRuler

Definitely don't waste your time with days of darkness to induce flowering. That is bro science at its worst.

Not a single person that I've run into who swears by 24 hours of darkness or longer, to induce flowering, has actually timed how long it takes to flower by doing that, compared to just flipping to 12/12.
Troof! I was one of those that followed that advice and it turns out I was "misinformed" although I can't really put that on anyone else. It was my choice to either take it at face value or be skeptical about it. I really need to stop trusting people at face value. I hate being skeptical about everything but it's where we're at these days.......

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

Troof! I was one of those that followed that advice and it turns out I was "misinformed" although I can't really put that on anyone else. It was my choice to either take it at face value or be skeptical about it. I really need to stop trusting people at face value. I hate being skeptical about everything but it's where we're at these days.......
There are a lot of things like this that make sense to people. I mean, if 12 hours of darkness induces flowering, surely 72 would be a more powerful flower-inducer. Right? It stands to reason.

But plants often don't care what we think would be better, because things don't work exactly the way we think they do.

One thing that always bugged me about prolonged hours of darkness is the 36 hours of photosynthesis that doesn't happen. But really, I never tried it. It would be easily measurable though and I would think commercial growers would use it if it had any merit, since profits depend on cutting the time it takes to bring a crop to harvest.

TomH

TomH

The big plant in the Bay Area has the most amazing tangerine aroma when touching a sugar leaf, but the stems have a little bit of a spicy funk smell. I didn’t expect that difference.

The big plant in the foothills has an incredibly sweet smell, but the stems smell like cat piss. I was working around her this morning and I thought someone might have had an accident around the shed, it’s really pissy smelling if you rub the stalk or branches!

The smaller clone in the foothills has a decidedly skunky smell to it. It is also being grown in real soil, Recipe 420 mixed with some perlite and pumice. It appears to love the soil, I had to put her in a major headlock to keep her out of the lights.

Overall, the grows go well, coir is kicking my @$$, I think this is my last time with coir. Too much work, the reward is awesome, I just can’t keep up!

TomH

TomH

The Bay Area grow has no tent, just a plant growing on my balcony.

I decided to do some side light testing with her. I have 20 watt vertical side lights on three of four corner supports.
The difference is already apparent.

The three sides with supplemental lighting have the same number of buds as the one side left without a supplemental light, but the buds size difference is obvious.

When it comes to harvesting, I plan to measure and weigh them to determine if any difference was noticeable in end product. I’ll also try to update smoke reports from each.

Since I’m messing with light, I thought I’d take two nearly identical clones, veg on in red biased light and the other in blue. Both lights are full spectrum, one is biased towards flowering, the other towards vegging.

I’ll post pics today and regular updates as they change (or even if they don’t).

Enjoy the day my friends.

Last edited:
TomH

TomH

both of these clones were taken from the same plant, rooted in rock wool with rooting hormone.
Once rooted, dropped into cups with soil for an additional week to begin the rooting process.

Both cups had roots just beginning to show when i separated them. One into a fruit/flower biases grow light from GE.
The other in a blue biased light from yescom, their 225 white.

The first four pictures are the plant in red light for 1 day. It appears much perkier than the plant in blue, but has less visible root structure.

The second four pics are the plant In blue. Amazing roots but looks a little sad. It’ll be interesting to see what the week brings.

IMG 6744
IMG 6743
IMG 6742
IMG 6741
IMG 6740
IMG 6739
IMG 6738
IMG 6737
Zen_Seeker

Zen_Seeker

I don’t know if it’s worth posting pictures every day or not,
This is your grow & journal. You doing it for you or for us?

I take notes and pics. Not every day. Life gets in the way, but I try. Let’s me go back and check things. Keep water/light/nutrients down so I don’t muck up or miss anything.

I post what I feel like sharing. Sometimes I want help. Sometimes I’m proud of what I’ve accomplished.

Today I want to take a flamethrower to them. Think that would make a great vid post. 🤣

Do it for you. Some of us are interested and will pop in now and then. Can’t wait for them to grow.

TomH

TomH

The difference is truly apparent at the terminal growth points on the plants.
The new growth on the plant in the red bias light is slow, very rough looking texture and not as brilliant green as the clone in the blue biased light.

The plant in blue biased light has a much more pleasant texture and brilliant green to them.

I’m probably going to continue this for a week or so, but the differences are more apparent than I expected.

TomH

TomH

This is your grow & journal. You doing it for you or for us?

I take notes and pics. Not every day. Life gets in the way, but I try. Let’s me go back and check things. Keep water/light/nutrients down so I don’t muck up or miss anything.

I post what I feel like sharing. Sometimes I want help. Sometimes I’m proud of what I’ve accomplished.

Today I want to take a flamethrower to them. Think that would make a great vid post. 🤣

Do it for you. Some of us are interested and will pop in now and then. Can’t wait for them to grow.
My approach to just about everything in life is, if I can help someone else while I’m learning, all the better for all.
The notes and pics certainly help me, already have with past grows versus current, but always trying to help improve the knowledge base along the way.

TomH

TomH

Foothills plant #2, golden kiwi x watermelon punch.

Flipped on 4/20, no particular reason 🤔😁

I pulled her out of the shed to do a little cleanup. I keep seeing this twinkling on the bud sites, I think this thing has some trichomes already??? It’s only two days from flip!

IMG 6985
IMG 6986
IMG 6988
IMG 6987
Top Bottom