New RDWC grow featuring Mendel’s Æther by Brother Mendel

• Thread starter SweetLeafGrow
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
SweetLeafGrow

SweetLeafGrow

Micro (brown) is heavy N

OK, so not sure how big of a mistake this was, trying to figure out what to do.

I thought about diluting again and just add back some pink. Naw, ratios are all off now is what I am thinking, maybe not.

My other thought was to change out the res and just start over around week 3 ratios on the chart, get things to about 600 ppm. Seems like the safe option at this point, just not sure it's necessary. @Aqua Man what do you think bro? Big enough mistake to do a reset?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

When in doubt throw it out… ino no real way to know what ya got in there from my perspective. That cupping will not get better but if new growth is showing it then you still have an issue

steamroller

steamroller

Do you guys ever do partial resets?
Like remove 50% and add back a new mix in replacement.

I would think 1 gallon worth of fert could be mitigated with a 50% change?
Just asking even after read Amans answer.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Do you guys ever do partial resets?
Like remove 50% and add back a new mix in replacement.

I would think 1 gallon worth of fert could be mitigated with a 50% change?
Just asking even after read Amans answer.
Thats how i run my system… old habits die hard.

The full change out is a simplified version thats used in hydro.

thing is a partial change will correct it over a period of time. For maintenance i much prefer a 50% change out.

SweetLeafGrow

SweetLeafGrow

I have not done that, only amended and/or diluted.

The problem I see with that is you don't know what your ratios are when you start selectively adding stuff back in. Ratios are the most important aspect of the feeding schedule the way I understand it. ppm's are going to be strain specific but the ratios need to be the same across the board, at least to a point.

It would be nice to do as you suggest SR, but I don't have the tools or knowledge to be able to do that.

Thanks for the answer A-man, solid advice as always and ya, exactly what I thought you would say, just wanted a bit of confirmation.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I have not done that, only amended and/or diluted.

The problem I see with that is you don't know what your ratios are when you start selectively adding stuff back in. Ratios are the most important aspect of the feeding schedule the way I understand it. ppm's are going to be strain specific but the ratios need to be the same across the board.

It would be nice to do as you suggest SR, but I don't have the tools or knowledge to be able to do that.

Thanks for the answer A-man, solid advice as always and ya, exactly what I thought you would say, just wanted a bit of confirmation.
But you know they are within range if you change 50% when you add back half the water. The process is called estimative index (or EI) above is how I modified it for myself

the general principle is that if you change 50% of the water weekly your ratios can only stray so far and will stay within good range

SweetLeafGrow

SweetLeafGrow

That cupping will not get better but if new growth is showing it then you still have an issue
I get this, and ya, it has not gotten better and seeing a few new ones, which is why I thought I needed to take some action today.

Question- so will the dark green get better as things improve?

I'm going to go ahead and do a full res change since I have not been doing weekly 50% changes at all. I've only changed out once at the beginning of flower. I am hoping this reset takes care of business.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I get this, and ya, it has not gotten better and seeing a few new ones, which is why I thought I needed to take some action today.

Question- so will the dark green get better as things improve?

I'm going to go ahead and do a full res change since I have not been doing weekly 50% changes at all. I've only changed out once at the beginning of flower. I am hoping this reset takes care of business.
Yeah i cant say for certain its a nute issue… when i have seen that it’s usually a root issue but nutrients can cause root issues so yeah process of elimination

steamroller

steamroller

EI even accepts that you 'over dose' to a mild extent since you will be removing and resetting weekly.
You don't try to OD you just push till you see.
The weekly reset is the fall back for safety.
I know Aman knows all this better than me, I may even be a little off, but I think close.
Tom Barr where Aman played with fish is the planted aquarium guru for real.
Has no one incorporated EI into hydro officially?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

EI even accepts that you 'over dose' to a mild extent since you will be removing and resetting weekly.
You don't try to OD you just push till you see.
The weekly reset is the fall back for safety.
I know Aman knows all this better than me, I may even be a little off, but I think close.
Tom Barr where Aman played with fish is the planted aquarium guru for real.
Has no one incorporated EI into hydro officially?
Yeah i spent a few years on his site… the barr report. He is the one who developed the EI method. Had many of great convos about water with him and he taught me a lot… everyone for that matter.

not sure if its still up. But i was on there, a local site and the planted tank.

I have and i think if I remember right I convinced @Moe.Red to but not sure if he still does and can’t say for sure he did

SweetLeafGrow

SweetLeafGrow

Yeah i cant say for certain its a nute issue… when i have seen that it’s usually a root issue but nutrients can cause root issues so yeah process of elimination
I really don't see any issues with the roots at all, they are massive with a similar color to what I have become used to. Temps in the res never get above 68F, no smell, slime or any other anomalies. I am all but positive it's a N issue, mainly because I was so perplexed with the early light green growth that I thought she was deficient, ran the ppms up to 1200, then back down to 1000 when I realized it was too much. It was about that time I started to see this and let things ride down to that 600 range where she seems fairly happy, just appears to be too much N in the mix still.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I really don't see any issues with the roots at all, they are massive with a similar color to what I have become used to. Temps in the res never get above 68F, no smell, slime or any other anomalies. I am all but positive it's a N issue, mainly because I was so perplexed with the early light green growth that I thought she was deficient, ran the ppms up to 1200, then back down to 1000 when I realized it was too much. It was about that time I started to see this and let things ride down to that 600 range where she seems fairly happy, just appears to be too much N in the mix still.
Ratios play havoc with uptake

SweetLeafGrow

SweetLeafGrow

Thats exactly why i don't change more than needed. I think with test strips @SweetLeafGrow you could balance things and make it work
I hear you bro. I am getting to the point in all this where I can go out and look at some of the more advanced techniques, however, I still feel very much like a beginner in many ways. Imma gonna build on that and thank you and all the great folks who have helped me get where I am now.

I do feel like I have made good progress but I have so much further to go!

SweetLeafGrow

SweetLeafGrow

OK, got the res changed out.

Still dealing with my contaminated RO tank from all the construction. I need to drain it and refill it and see if the problem goes away now that I'm all finished with the remodel, sitting at about 115 ppm out of the barrel. I also forgot to pump clean water through the chiller to get all that nutrient water out, ended up with a base ppm of about 150 before adding anything.

With all that in mind, I went ahead and built the res finally resting @ ~800 ppm. That gets me to about 650 of actual nutes, gonna watch close. I had been running at 600 ppm but starting to see a very small bit of possible PK deficiency on a few of the fans so I thought I would raise that slightly and see how she does. Hoping to have the ratios squared away at this point but really flying by the seat of my pants here, just learning and if I make mistakes, it's a learning experience and I will get better.

Got a couple of photos of the roots while I had everything drained. I thought they looked great.

485E4FEB 4C5D 488D 902D 59ADCEBC8FD3
297B3AC4 D9D5 42C9 A667 7A3C98B7C8FF
SweetLeafGrow

SweetLeafGrow

So I am realizing this gal was a bit more off than I thought. I changed out the res and reset everything on Tuesday and yesterday she was already super happy with the change, today, even more so. I looked back at the photos from Tuesday and it's night and day difference to me in the improvement in just two days! Maybe I am just imagining it but to me, it's huge.

Seeing a steady drop in the pH as expected, buffering with the last but of Silica Boost that I have, and then mixing up a batch of Agsil 16 that I hope will last much longer than this overly diluted stuff that is mostly water. I expect the buffer to stabilize in the next couple of days.

Other than that, super excited about this strain the further I get into the grow. So far, she looks to be the frostiest plant I have ever grown and getting some nice coloration already.

I also had some pollen from a Grandaddy Purple male I had found earlier in the year and pollinated one of the branches just for the heck of it. Might be fun trying to see what that cross could produce at some point.

9A3F5121 4A8D 40C9 97EC 6C4FBB2ABDDB
7B83F588 D0AD 4A33 B509 7CAAE87AA81A
0AE345D9 652B 4BF6 885F 27B75274BC75
1EDEE706 7261 41B3 BFE1 F2C669859D58
B64AA6A7 403D 41C6 B239 5FAED5BB653E
F2FC508C A732 442F B20B 8FFCD9B35DC6
6F1840C8 3A16 4E3E A477 E47202B0BAD2
C91DD4A4 524D 4FDC B3FA 35C016A9A642
D8FF4EF9 6F52 4116 A9DA 2FE1D448B4A3
0DC21112 257B 4C6B AAFB 16B5F2CC05AF
FC264A05 564D 49F1 AFA9 64DE54C5FECA
Top Bottom