Old school skunk..does it exist???

• Thread starter Jackson1969
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Backyard_Boogie

Backyard_Boogie

I've tried supposed skunk from Mel and Old school Seeds and I'm sorry you lost your money. Not trying to be a dick, I just know that what I got, when I was hoping to get what we are all looking for and it wasnt it.
Yeah man for sure. No disrespect to the AG guys and Mel but I gotta be honest. I ran over a dozen beans of the AG Skunk and I didn't find anything even close to the real skunk. It didn't look all that great since the seed stock was from the 80s to be expected. Had that swaggy leafy old school look. However it did have some nice interesting zesty smells and the high was actually really good but it wasn't the "burn your nose" intense RKS smell that I was expecting. But I will say the NL#5 from AG was much more on point. I have some more of that NL#5 running now and so far what I have seen is much more promising and closer to the real NL#5.

But as for the true RKS it has to have that "eye burning" Ester Alcohol vibe. Its gotta reek to high hell and knock your socks off when you put your nose in the jar. So far I have tried dozens of so called RKS but none have came close yet. 😢

Itscheese94

Itscheese94

After hunting cheese and bubblegum for ages l came to the conclusion some breeder may have it to breed with but there not Commercially available any more.

Just re grew black domaina and even that doesn’t taste or smell like the one from the 90s it’s left me wondering how many strains we haven’t got access to any more

Breeders kept complaining about the gene pool before the usa went legal and it all blew up guess they had good reason. Mind some of its been done by the very people that did complain.

Imo there seemed to be a trend to breed out hard core smelly plants and to increase yeild

Some of the nicest strains didn’t produce much so I obviously with folks wanting larger yeilds they changed them

Then we had the thc race with the crazy if it’s not 25% I don’t want it trend

We’d be lucky to find someone who had the originals as is even if they had them
check out sweet black angel. its black domina x ssh really nice strain has the old black domina taste

Neuro

Neuro

If you plant ice, you're gonna harvest wind.
Interested to know if anyone has gotten anything close from Purple Capers? Apparently they ran a huge skunk hunt last year from a bunch of old beans. I've also heard reports from Strayfox that people have found true Skunk in packs of both his skunk killers and carbon killers.

Week4Bytch

Week4Bytch

The Cannabis Karen (I'm a Bytch)
Supporter
Yeah man for sure. No disrespect to the AG guys and Mel but I gotta be honest. I ran over a dozen beans of the AG Skunk and I didn't find anything even close to the real skunk. It didn't look all that great since the seed stock was from the 80s to be expected. Had that swaggy leafy old school look. However it did have some nice interesting zesty smells and the high was actually really good but it wasn't the "burn your nose" intense RKS smell that I was expecting. But I will say the NL#5 from AG was much more on point. I have some more of that NL#5 running now and so far what I have seen is much more promising and closer to the real NL#5.

But as for the true RKS it has to have that "eye burning" Ester Alcohol vibe. Its gotta reek to high hell and knock your socks off when you put your nose in the jar. So far I have tried dozens of so called RKS but none have came close yet. 😢
That's good news for me, before this thread I had no idea it was such a big deal or a difference between RKS and Skunk #1. Smoking something from 1985 (Skunk #1) is not that bad considering.

SouthernOhio

SouthernOhio

It might take running a 100 seed to get one ester plant. Not sure about any of these seedmakers today. Way too much inbreeding and diseases to suit me.
I specifically bred for the stintch starting in 2001 with a bunch of different Skunks from multiple seed companies.
By 2009, I started buying some other genetics and worked with them until 2018 when I got in these forums.
What a mistake that was. lol
My seeds don't have any labels left, but I did grow 5 last year and all had the esters, but only one I found worthy of the Cat Piss label.
Cat Piss is a refined Skunk x Haze in my opinion.
I read that some Haze produces these esters.
Look up the word "haze", has to do with atmospheric Sulphur compounds.
I find it rather odd since sulphur compounds are the prime suspects for the Skunk smell.
Why did they really name it Haze? lol

Week4Bytch

Week4Bytch

Supporter
It might take running a 100 seed to get one ester plant. Not sure about any of these seedmakers today. Way too much inbreeding and diseases to suit me.
I specifically bred for the stintch starting in 2001 with a bunch of different Skunks from multiple seed companies.
By 2009, I started buying some other genetics and worked with them until 2018 when I got in these forums.
What a mistake that was. lol
My seeds don't have any labels left, but I did grow 5 last year and all had the esters, but only one I found worthy of the Cat Piss label.
Cat Piss is a refined Skunk x Haze in my opinion.
I read that some Haze produces these esters.
Look up the word "haze", has to do with atmospheric Sulphur compounds.
I find it rather odd since sulphur compounds are the prime suspects for the Skunk smell.
Why did they really name it Haze? lol
Nice, I've yet to get into any breeding program of my own. Something I'd have to look into when I retire here soon. Just for shits and giggles for my own amusement. I like discussion like this one, I end up learning a whole lot, here's what I found in the elscent of a skunk...

"Recently, science has come to the understanding that thiols are what is responsible for the acrid smell of cannabis and hops. Thiols are the reason that some types of micro brewery beer smells skunky in sunlight. Thiols are also the reason why cannabis smells skunky around harvest time.

"Thiols are the sulfur analogue of alcohols (that is, sulfur takes the place of oxygen in the hydroxyl ( −OH) group of an alcohol), and the word is a blend of "thio-" with "alcohol"." From Wiki: Thiols

Thiols develop in the late stage of flowering on cannabis and hops and they are responsible for the acrid/skunky scent".

Backyard_Boogie

Backyard_Boogie

Nice, I've yet to get into any breeding program of my own. Something I'd have to look into when I retire here soon. Just for shits and giggles for my own amusement. I like discussion like this one, I end up learning a whole lot, here's what I found in the elscent of a skunk...

"Recently, science has come to the understanding that thiols are what is responsible for the acrid smell of cannabis and hops. Thiols are the reason that some types of micro brewery beer smells skunky in sunlight. Thiols are also the reason why cannabis smells skunky around harvest time.

"Thiols are the sulfur analogue of alcohols (that is, sulfur takes the place of oxygen in the hydroxyl ( −OH) group of an alcohol), and the word is a blend of "thio-" with "alcohol"." From Wiki: Thiols

Thiols develop in the late stage of flowering on cannabis and hops and they are responsible for the acrid/skunky scent".
Yes this is all correct and very valid information. In order to get that true "Eye Burning" skunk smell you have to have thiols and strong plant based alcohols like Esters. The most important part is genetics so you of course have to grow plants that have these Ester potentials. But on top of that you also need to be adding sulfur based compounds in your feeding regiment. I heard Mr. Fulvic is supposed to be a good one. Also natural sunlight or HPS is supposed to be better than LED for creating these thiols and Esters during the end of the flowering cycle.

S

Stoney68

In the Saginaw Michigan area in 1987, there was SKUNK bud.
Soome of you know EXACTLY what i mean.
Is this strain available today.Every skunk i have triwd here in michigan, is not the same.Dont even come close...someone shed some light????
I remember skunk weed. It stunk and was great. We dont get pot like that anymore thats why we have to grow it. There are seeds for it like cropking seeds and green crack is derived from it but not as good.

S

stinksalot

In 1985(the midwest), I was 15ish and had only been smoking a year or so and was new to cannabis and its culture. However, I had already gained quite a bit of knowledge about the subject as the nomenclature, history, genetics, etc... were all interesting to me even then. It was at this time that many cannabis strains were "skunky" so it was fairly common to get something that had those(IMO) desirable traits. Also at this time, hydroponics, and other sophisticated methods were being employed to raise standards for growing. It was in this era that I had the most memorable cannabis experience of my life.

At the time, cannabis was cheap and readily available, but usually in a compacted form known as a brick. usually low quality and loaded with crushed seeds. real garbage. its was affectionately known as "dirt". so it didnt take alot to "turn a head" so to speak. My sisters boyfriend had a connection that was uncanny at the time. there was some decent stuff around that was alot better than the average stuff available. but this one instance was incredible.

There was a boutique type cannabis available called "choke". It was an obvious indica strain with an incredibly strong skunk odor. It was available by the gram and was 30 bucks(which was rediculous in my mind). when purchased, the bud would come hermetically sealed in a small clear plastic package which then was placed into a reused gerber style baby food jar. as soon as you cracked that jar, watch out. the immediate odor of the bud would saturate the room within seconds and the whole house within an hour. and thats before opening the sealed plastic. Its tight and compact and dense structure was accompanied by an extreme color profile. the most neon of green and orange popped like neon signs at midnight. and when smoking, a miniature pinch hit was recommended to me by my sisters boyfriend. I scoffed.. thinking im a fully graduated cannabis coinsure at this point. so after much convincing, i loaded the baby sized one hit, and took a hit. WOW. this stuff expanded like sprayfoam. so fast it blew my lungs apart. this tiny one hit had me coughing in a fit. the taste was amazing. like honey, pine, and skunk, all combined into some extreme flavor profile. and this one tiny hitter kept me roasted for a solid 2 hours... really intensely too. then on top of all of this, Marty, my sisters BF, tells me that if you use a clean one hitter and only smoke choke through it, you can collect some amazing resins. so he shows me some of what hes poked. IT LOOKS LIKE HONEY!. ALMOST CLEAR!. and when you smoke that? holy f'n fishsh!t batman.
better have someone watching over you. It tasted just as good as the choke, and was at least twice as potent.

Now all this left a slightly memorable impression, and maybe some goals for the future. at the time, the genetic material available was limited. So this had to be one of those known/early strains, but grown to its full potential. really incredible experience that i feel kinda lucky to have had. but also leaves me wanting of something better. Has the golden age of cannabis really already come and gone? this strain is going to be forgotten and never known by everyone? seems just as incredible as encountering it in the first place. Ive still never enountered anything nearly as good or potent. GG#4 was maybe in the ballpark but still far off.

I can only hope someone is successful in breeding or reintroducing these strains and traits back in

Last edited:
Week4Bytch

Week4Bytch

Supporter
Another controversial figure is Joe Pietri, seems like he hates everyone in the business. Check his price on his seeds at nearly double and . yeah, it's a cut throat business out there. Listening to one of his interviews he mentions

"Sensimilla "

What do you guys think of feminized flowers vs regular females?

Joe believes that regular females are the true Sensimilla plants that give out the best resin.

F

FourAssedMonkey

This is something similar to the Skunk of 78'-83
View attachment 2010186
That does look quite similar as far as the color. I know that back in the day we used to see double serrated leaves a lot on the ladies that were around. It wasn't a 100% of the time thing, but definitely saw it a lot. We see it in some Afghani landraces still to this day and a few others that have lineage from areas of high elevation and higher UV exposure. Again, that color is on point though for what this thread is all about.

F

FourAssedMonkey

Another controversial figure is Joe Pietri, seems like he hates everyone in the business. Check his price on his seeds at nearly double and . yeah, it's a cut throat business out there. Listening to one of his interviews he mentions

"Sensimilla "

What do you guys think of feminized flowers vs regular females?

Joe believes that regular females are the true Sensimilla plants that give out the best resin.
I agree with you about Joe. He has the same, if not more, arrogance than Aryjan Roskam. His seeds are not worth the money and the only reason he is hating on feminized seeds, if I were to guess, is that he has no idea what silver thiosulfate is, nor does he have any idea of how to make or use it. He spends more time yapping about conspracies, philophy, and generally talking down about people that actually DO know what they're doing. His website is as tacky as his commentaries and, if I'm being honest, his constant spewing of less light, more weight; is ridiculous. There are way too many growers out here pulling 3 pounds plus from 1,000W when he still thinks a gram a watt is the peak one can pull. In summary, He's a snake oil salesman pulling his cash flow from gullible individuals that are desparate enough to fall for his scam. The fact that he openly calls guys like Rosenthal and Frank frauds says it all. Guys like Ed and Mel were pioneers as no one even thought to breed and mix and match before. It was just plant seeds and weed out the males back in the day. No, they were not the first, but it seems to me that Joe is just mad that he never did anything great as far as contributing to legendary genetics and wants to hate on those who have. I apologize for the diatribe. Ghost Train's got my cruisin' lol

GanjaJack

GanjaJack

It sure does...... And a lot more where that came from....

SouthernOhio

SouthernOhio

View attachment 2016694

It sure does...... And a lot more where that came from....
I'm sure you found your "carbon filter" worthless. lol
It's a big undertaking to grow these types of plants if you aren't in a very secluded area away from "all" people. It will attract unwanted guests like nozy neighbors and animal control just for starters.
You could only get away with it back in the 70's and early 80's because people were naive to the odor, which was about the only way you couldn't conceal your tiny patch back then. Once it was known, gave law enforcement and thieves a target to look for.
Most of you have no idea just how strong the scent actually is. I'm not dogging you at all, some of you might not even have been born when the birthing of everything you consume today came from.
4 grand/ lb high quality cannabis and was worth it.
What's the going rate today for a lb?
Seriously, I have no idea. $700.00? $200.00?
Would I pay 4 grand/lb for it? lol

Back to filter
Just rip the activated filter carbon out and pour char in a bucket, then just piss on it.
Use it as fertilizer. lol

bguwop420

bguwop420

I too have been on a skunk hunt, i have ran skunks from many breeders and none of it is true skunk. I remember seeing it last in '93. It stunk like a skunks arse at point blank range after it was heated up on an open fire. Buds were of medium size to large, medium density and stunk through 3 ziplocks. I remember it very well, I have been asking my childhood friends parents if they have any old beans hidden in a jar somewhere in hopes of finding it, that is literally how low I have gone to find it. High and low the travels I have went and still have came up empty handed. The closest Iv found was a batch of trench town skunk seeds given to me from a guy I know on the islands.
Howd it just disappear like that

GanjaJack

GanjaJack

I'm sure you found your "carbon filter" worthless. lol
It's a big undertaking to grow these types of plants if you aren't in a very secluded area away from "all" people. It will attract unwanted guests like nozy neighbors and animal control just for starters.
You could only get away with it back in the 70's and early 80's because people were naive to the odor, which was about the only way you couldn't conceal your tiny patch back then. Once it was known, gave law enforcement and thieves a target to look for.
Most of you have no idea just how strong the scent actually is. I'm not dogging you at all, some of you might not even have been born when the birthing of everything you consume today came from.
4 grand/ lb high quality cannabis and was worth it.
What's the going rate today for a lb?
Seriously, I have no idea. $700.00? $200.00?
Would I pay 4 grand/lb for it? lol

Back to filter
Just rip the activated filter carbon out and pour char in a bucket, then just piss on it.
Use it as fertilizer. lol

Pretty sure you mis-directed your response here.

I don't even have a carbon filter, have never ran one, have never had the need. My closest neighbor is 1/2 mile away.

This came from a group of Vietnam vets from northern NY and yes $4000 a lb back in the day. These guys were growing fields of it in NNY, before all the helicopter nonsense. I managed to get a few seeds. I was knowledgeable enough to continue to breed them for myself.

End Story.

Top Bottom