One Plant One Scrog Contest CannaGranny Style

• Thread starter CannaGranny
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Status
Not open for further replies.
Moe.Red

Moe.Red

I honestly didn't really do much except decipher his nutrient list, pick the one that I was familiar with and gave him a band-aid instruction list to hopefully hold him over for a month or so 🤣 with all the folks here he's in good hands. I know what you mean about getting overwhelmed by threads and messages. I really wish when you "watched" a thread you would just get ONE notification telling you that there have been new posts on that watched thread since you've been there. I do not need an individual notification for EVERY like, interaction, or reply on that thread in my notification thread. I would actually use the watch thread function if it didn't flood my notifications

/rant for @logic 🧙‍♂️

ps don't feel guilty about turning your focus elsewhere in life, especially when you've been presented with such an opportunity CG! These windows don't stay open for very long
Account | Settings | Preferences

Gandalf

The list is quite long and customizable.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Holy F I need me one of these. I cant find out where y'all were discussing this meter but looks like a nice extra insight into wtf is going on with these plant ladies. What exactly are you looking for with this device?
This is called a Brix refractometer.

It uses light a prism and your sample to tell you how much sugar is in your leaf. Mostly these are used for winemaking.

The ones on Amazon are cheap and effective. It is not important to spend a lot of money on these, the absolute number of brix is not very meaningful, but the trend is.

The more sugar your leaves are producing, the better health the plant is in.

RootsRuler

RootsRuler

Another prob I am finding is folks adding or changing lights midgrow. A stronger light prompts a larger N burn and what stage you do this makes a difference in the outcome.
I am also dealing with folks that think more is better. More feedings, bigger growth (not generally under an organic method) keeping plants just saturated and wet all the time.
So, to this day I still learn about the grower and the growers as well. 🥰
I had the same issue when I was teaching seniors in L.A. but I was letting them use bottled nutes to make it easier for them. I'd come back and half the pots were drowning and the other half were nute burned! 😄

I told one gentleman that would continually overwater that I was going to send him to a class that teaches patience! Regradless of my telling him to not water for 3 days he would religiously water the plant every day. He said they looked thirsty and I had told him they should water when the plant looks thirsty!🥴😄

Shaded_One

Shaded_One

Account | Settings | Preferences

View attachment 1317921

The list is quite long and customizable.

Thanks Moe I'll take a look after I get these seedlings sorted out this a.m! Can I make notification changes and have them apply/pertain to strictly JUST watched threads? I still enjoy and appreciate the regular notifications but I would like to just "summarize" everything that has happened in X watched thread since I've last visited.

Shaded_One

Shaded_One

I can fully appreciate that. Already every day I delete hundreds of emails, just to get to the real stuff. Marking them as spam is a losing battle.
I don’t get any notices via email, only the private convo ones. I rely on the notification button in here when I come in. That helps.
Im trying to find out what is causing my method to go awry as it’s a fool proof method that I have been running for over seven years now with no deficiencies or problems. My students have xlent success with it. What I am thinking.. water. Some of these places chlorination numbers are off the charts! Even if you allowed a twenty four hr period for degassing, I don’t think it’s enough?
Another prob I am finding is folks adding or changing lights midgrow. A stronger light prompts a larger N burn and what stage you do this makes a difference in the outcome.
I am also dealing with folks that think more is better. More feedings, bigger growth (not generally under an organic method) keeping plants just saturated and wet all the time.
So, to this day I still learn about the grower and the growers as well. 🥰

The joys of the unknown factors - everyone running different lights, different environments, different water sources, and when you get right down to it each and every GROWER is a huuuuuuuge unknown factor. I firmly believe that some people are blessed with a green thumb and an ability to understand plants by feel and touch. I also firmly believe that some people should never touch a plant for the rest of their life, bless their souls 🤣

Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter
Alright, we’ll see haha might have a new entry to the contest 😂 between baking bread, working in the scrog in the 4x8 and a good flush on all the 4x8 plants this cookies Kush is looking like a decent contender… maybe? Lol

Hers how she looks this morning

9C9AEDB9 9163 441B 934C 05B37986F874
PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
This is called a Brix refractometer.

It uses light a prism and your sample to tell you how much sugar is in your leaf. Mostly these are used for winemaking.

The ones on Amazon are cheap and effective. It is not important to spend a lot of money on these, the absolute number of brix is not very meaningful, but the trend is.

The more sugar your leaves are producing, the better health the plant is in.
Now to get me one of those fancy garlic press you have...Before you say anything about Siberia I just looked $14....Thanks for that Moe, I needed that those instructions with #s that mean something.

I've seen guys use them by squeezing & crushing the leaf in their hands and dropping a drop on the meter out in the fields.......I didn't know what they were doing at the time but I've been trying and nope it ain't happening...lol....I guess I'll have to use a press. I tried pliers........a leaf in a bowl and crush with a pestle...........not enough to pipette ..........onward.......hold on a minute...2 coins and vice grips...I'll be in touch

RootsRuler

RootsRuler

The joys of the unknown factors - everyone running different lights, different environments, different water sources, and when you get right down to it each and every GROWER is a huuuuuuuge unknown factor. I firmly believe that some people are blessed with a green thumb and an ability to understand plants by feel and touch. I also firmly believe that some people should never touch a plant for the rest of their life, bless their souls 🤣
That's the zen part. You either have it or you don't. I think it's more a state of mind. I think the plant can feel when someone has good energy or bad much like dogs.

PerfecTrader

PerfecTrader

...and THAT folks is why I'm Farm4Life! 🥰 🤟 The help I have received at any hour and the friends I've made here have honestly meant more to me than learning to cultivate. Maybe it is something about not being alone in the journey but the comrade here is awesome to say the least. Won't ever be able to thank you for your time and knowledge but please know it is much appreciated. It is not for me to decide who believes in coincidence but I for one do not. In my "Crystal Child"(as my 81 yr old Reiki Master Aunt calls me) Scorpio born in The Year of the Tiger mind, I choose not to. I believe literally EVERYTHING happens for a reason and that all of our paths have crossed for a reason 🙏

I feel what I have learned about growing here has simply been stifled by one thing and one thing only. Me 😞 and although my intentions were always good, I still could not help but fall pray to many of the bad habits many newbies experience. Laziness, poor watering habits, moving from RO to tap to RO to tap to a mix, veering from VPD till don't even look, more is better attitude, and the list goes on. Think I have said it before but I will say it again. Once I figure this shit out you are all fked 😂 and with that, let's make 2023 the best year yet, together

PerfecTrader

PerfecTrader

...and next on "What not to do" by Perfectrader, 😂 I gave Puff a nice Rogering(lollipop/defoliation) because I received a cannaText from her that she couldn't breathe. I'm talkin week 2 of 3 into flower and had not takin any leaves from her yet. Hopefully it is for the best and she will recoup in the days and weeks ahead

20230108 122517
20230108 120719
20230108 122224
20230108 084442
CannaGranny

CannaGranny

...and next on "What not to do" by Perfectrader, 😂 I gave Puff a nice Rogering(lollipop/defoliation) because I received a cannaText from her that she couldn't breathe. I'm talkin week 2 of 3 into flower and had not takin any leaves from her yet. Hopefully it is for the best and she will recoup in the days and weeks ahead
You did the right thing. Next time make sure you do this just prior to flipping, and then just defoliate selectively. I try to never defoil heavy etc after three weeks in. You have opened up the whole top which you will benefit from.

CannaGranny

CannaGranny

I just want to lay this out there again: there is a big difference in scroging versus trellising.
Scroging requires that your plant is taller than your table height.
Take a look at a single limb on your plant, any place that has growth at the node is a potential main cola, provided it’s tabled correctly. By pushing the entire length of the limb beneath the table you are allowing even light to each one. Unlike just trellising which just provides support to existing limbs, provides no extra light and all energy directed at one flower, the main cola.
If your plant is not at least six inches taller than your scrog top, you are not scroging. (I prefer longer if I can get it).
The pics below show you how to push your plant below the table. If they don’t look like crap and make you want to cry, they are not scrogged. Notice the limbs are stretched out below the top, not allowed to just have a limb standing straight up growing through an opening. Also notice how nicely the table fills after a few days. I continue to stretch out and push limbs back under for the first two weeks. You will notice that it’s all brand new growth as well, that formed during the stretch. This is the period that the plant will triple or even quad sites.
The top of your table should be sturdy and strong enough to hold the limbs down. Most stretchy trellis nets can’t do this.

Day one of prepping the table. Notice limbs are taller than my table top, yet shoved below the screen. A sad looking site for sure.
Week 1.5 see all the new tops?
Week 4.5 top is full all colas basically the same size.

4C76D27B E37E 4C7C 9D7B EEB9386ADB73
DDECDFFE BA3B 48E8 89D6 6EF72473DB98
AE7A2605 D3D7 4C79 8B2F 115887BF2BD9
Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter
I’m guessing I did it right then just from lots of research haha my fist time probably 6 nodes popping up along each main branch I had, and I had a ton, lol most I main branches are completely flat under 5-6 squares before the main top turns up, and she’s in the 2nd week from flip so I think she’s right on

PerfecTrader

PerfecTrader

I just want to lay this out there again: there is a big difference in scroging versus trellising.
Scroging requires that your plant is taller than your table height.
Take a look at a single limb on your plant, any place that has growth at the node is a potential main cola, provided it’s tabled correctly. By pushing the entire length of the limb beneath the table you are allowing even light to each one. Unlike just trellising which just provides support to existing limbs, provides no extra light and all energy directed at one flower, the main cola.
If your plant is not at least six inches taller than your scrog top, you are not scroging. (I prefer longer if I can get it).
The pics below show you how to push your plant below the table. If they don’t look like crap and make you want to cry, they are not scrogged. Notice the limbs are stretched out below the top, not allowed to just have a limb standing straight up growing through an opening. Also notice how nicely the table fills after a few days. I continue to stretch out and push limbs back under for the first two weeks. You will notice that it’s all brand new growth as well, that formed during the stretch. This is the period that the plant will triple or even quad sites.
The top of your table should be sturdy and strong enough to hold the limbs down. Most stretchy trellis nets can’t do this.

Day one of prepping the table. Notice limbs are taller than my table top, yet shoved below the screen. A sad looking site for sure.
Week 1.5 see all the new tops?
Week 4.5 top is full all colas basically the same size.

Sensei saw my scrog attempt and wrote a novel on how you are supposed to do it 🥺 jkjk but honestly although I think Puff is scrogged it is not as it should be or was planned. I think LSTing too early and stunting her by overwatering, making soil too hot, and causing an EC issue to the point I needed to flush organic soil, definitely slowed things down and veered me from intended course. From doing it wrong every time I can say that my biggest fault is not letting them naturally grow taller before scrogging. My fears of having tall plants that run out of room and get too close to the lights has caused me to accidentally be on pace for 1 foot plants yet again. Tell you what though. After Puff is done I am starting fresh and it is going to be funky. Both 4x4s at same time and going to KISS and do it right 👍

Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter
Sensei saw my scrog attempt and wrote a novel on how you are supposed to do it 🥺 jkjk but honestly although I think Puff is scrogged it is not as it should be or was planned. I think LSTing too early and stunting her by overwatering, making soil too hot, and causing an EC issue to the point I needed to flush organic soil, definitely slowed things down and veered me from intended course. From doing it wrong every time I can say that my biggest fault is not letting them naturally grow taller before scrogging. My fears of having tall plants that run out of room and get too close to the lights has caused me to accidentally be on pace for 1 foot plants yet again. Tell you what though. After Puff is done I am starting fresh and it is going to be funky. Both 4x4s at same time and going to KISS and do it right 👍
Same might do 2x scrogged plants in the 4x8 and 1x scrogged plant in the 4x4 next run it seems that can be plenty 😁

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom