Organic Pest Prevention

• Thread starter Stanky1
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Stanky1

Stanky1

I'm curious as to what methods you as organic farmers use to combat the many pest that plague cannibis growers. I'm interested to know both methods of prevention but also methods of irradication.

Thanks Stanky1

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I'm sure you're already hip to the practice of cultivating good players so they outnumber bad players.

I also like to give a couple of shots of aspirin when I'm thinking about it, one 325mg tablet/2gals water (you can go as high as one tablet/gal), foliar or root drench.

I keep some plant essential oil mixes on hand, especially rosemary as that seems to be THE most effective (the lavender I'd been told was the do-all, be-all, ain't), as well as some clear soaps, now that we make our own I no longer buy Dr. Bronner's because ours is better.

What else? Oh yeah, I'm a huge fan of isopropyl alcohol, for a few things.

JMS Stylets oil.

Surround, but only early in the season.

DiPel or other Bt concoction, alternated with Spinosad.

Prevention is in the form of good soil and air flow.

ShroomKing

ShroomKing

Best of luck. Peace
I put all new bags of soil into an old pillow case then cut it open. I then pour 3 gallons of boiling water through the soil.
This eliminated thrips in my garden.
I then top all of my pots with weedblock landscape fabric and a 10:1 mix of gnatgnix and diatamcious earth.
I mist with dish soap, at 3 drops a gallon every 3-5 days, untill flip.
I spray with spinosyn d in early veg.
I inoculate with aspirin at 325mg per gallon in early veg.
I have not had pest issues for many grows now.

Stanky1

Stanky1

Great feedback, has anyone ever used any fermented plant extracts to help combat pest? I currently have some horsetail and dandelion fermenting and was curious if these could be used as foliars?

Thanks Stanky1

shemshemet

shemshemet

Indoor or outdoor? These are VERRRRYYYY different answers.

Indoors, the #1 way to prevent pests is NEVER GETTING THEM IN THE FIRST PLACE.

I'm on my full 3rd cycle since eliminating spider mites, aphids, and thrips. (all at different times)

To do that, I used neem which worked on thrips. Neem worked on aphids. Ladybugs totaled the aphids after the neem. And spidermites.....I had to break my room down, throw away all my mothers. Borax the floor, spray the walls and ceiling with borax. Take all my equipment and dump it into a borax solution. This is all in the period of 1-2 months as well.

Edit: I will not take plants from outside my room into my room. Unless I properly quarantine them in a separate growcation

derkaderk

derkaderk

Pdf00005

This is a method I've been researching for a little over a year now. Em5 is what You want to make.

Stanky1

Stanky1

In what ways do you boost your plants silica levels? Foliar, soil drench, top dressing ? Great to hear all the replys, please keep them coming.

Thanks S1

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Rice hulls in the mix help with that, I believe. Protekt is a good OTC product, can be given via foliar or root drench.

@derkaderk -- any idea why they're so specific about tequila vs any other kind of distilled alcohol? This EM5 is not something I'm familiar with, at all.
Great feedback, has anyone ever used any fermented plant extracts to help combat pest? I currently have some horsetail and dandelion fermenting and was curious if these could be used as foliars?

Thanks Stanky1
I use FPEs often and have not found them to prevent pests. They're great for cheap and easy feeding. Haven't foliared with them but I don't see why it can't be done.

derkaderk

derkaderk

Honestly no...,this is the only "recipe" I've seen with tequilla. Most of the ones I've read are using vodka or any distilled spirit between 40%-50%.

Here is another one:

EM5
EM5 is often used as a type of homemade pesticide. The fermentation extracts properties out of plant materials and the alcohol and retains them in the liquid. The EM•1® in the recipe is the fermentation catalyst. EM•1® itself has no pesticide qualities at all. This is an all-natural concoction that can be made by anyone and is in no way harmful to humans or animals. It combines water, EM•1®, a distilled spirit, molasses, and vinegar. The most successful programs with EM5 involve alternating its applications with Activated EM•1® and EMFPE. EM5 is effective for reducing pest populations because EM5 contains esters formed by mixing acetic acid and alcohol, which provokes intestinal intoxication.

The formula for one gallon of EM5 is as follows (1:1:1:1:20):

1. 3/4 C EM•1®
  2. 3/4 C Molasses
  3. 3/4 C Vinegar (white or apple cider)
  4. 3/4 C distilled alcohol (vodka, whiskey, tequila)
  5. Add some other plant material*
  6. Fill the gallon container with warm water (110-120ºF)
  7. Seal and ferment until pH goes below 4.0
*People often mix in hot peppers and/or garlic for added benefits.

Spray EM5 alternately with EM•1® or EM•1®Fermented Plant Extract through a hose-end sprayer. The thought here is to prevent the pests from getting used to or building a tolerance to the same product.

Often people will set up an informal program as follows (Diluting the AEM•1®, EM5, or EM FPE with 500 parts water):

Week One: Apply AEM•1®, 1 gallon for 1/2 acre property
Week Two: Apply EM5, 1 gallon for 1/2 acre property
Week Three: Apply EM FPE, 1 gallon for 1/2 acre property
Week Four: Apply AEM•1®, 1 gallon for 1/2 acre property

This pattern is repeated throughout the growing season.

Patanjali

Patanjali

I can't believe no one mentioned neem/karanja oil emulsified with potassium silica! Imo, there isn't much that won't take care of. 2tsp neem/karanja, 1tsp protekt - mix. Add to one gallon of water preferably with something in it that contains saponins (yucca, aloe, etc).

Peace!

P-

ArcticOrange

ArcticOrange

Your horses tails will have enough silica. They have an INSANE amount of use able solica. For a small garden you don't need to ferment it as one ounce of fermented horsetail will treat an acre and a half outdoors. I'll see if I can find the recipe.

ArcticOrange

ArcticOrange

Fresh Tea Instructions:
Bring one ounce of horsetail herb to a boil in one quart of water. Allow to cool. Strain and dilute adding 2 gallons of water. Stir vigorously for 15 minutes. Apply using a fine mist spray to the foliar parts of targeted plants.

Fermented Tea Instructions:
Bring one unit of horsetail herb to boil in one gallon of water and simmer for one hour. Let cool and transfer to a crock or other storage container with a loose fitting lid. Store this in a cool place, e.g. basement, and allow to ferment 10 to 14 days, until the fermented tea has a strong sulphuric aroma. Strain the remaining herb particles out, fill the tea in a glass jug, and store it in a cool dark place until ready to use. It can be stored 6 or more months without losing effectiveness.

To use, Add 1/2 gallon of fermented tea to 4 1/2 gallons water, stir vigerously for 20 minutes, and use to treat up to 1 1/2 acres. One unit of horsetail can thereby treat up to 3 acres with as powerful effect as can be achieved by the fresh tea recipe on only one acre.

Ratio for diluting is one part fermented tea to 9 parts water. The fermented BD #508 most likely should be applied as a soil spray, whereas the fresh tea version is most likely the form to use as a foliar spray."

From the Josephine Porter institute (I was clued in by "Risingmoon" RIU forum)

ArcticOrange

ArcticOrange

I will have to say I agree with Patanjali the addition of neem/Karanja to the potassium silicate and you should be pest free. Definitely would recommend the aloe as well. I've seen the side by sides. Aloe will make your plants grow faster and look great as long as they have everything they needo elsewhere.

juiceyjay

juiceyjay

Personally I never use neem oil I hate the stuff. I do the soap water foliar spray once or twice a week and I use isopropyl alcohol and spray it all around the ground and any entry ways into room (windows, doorways) once a week. I also spray some on myself just to be safe (nothing crazy, don't be shooting yourself in the face with it). Make sure you are clean and your room will be also. If u have pets don't let them wander around the flower room and don't forget to clean yourself if you were just petting them

Good luck

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I don't like neem, either. And now that I'm moving my trim to folks who are making concentrates I have gotten one hell of an earful about how much they hate working with product that's been doused in neem. I've been told it's all but impossible, if not downright impossible to separate the neem oils from the cannabis. So for me, that's another reason to go easy on something that's going to leave heavy residues.

The iso-treated product has been tested and it leaves no residue whatsoever.

symbiote420

symbiote420

I've been testing out an organic pest & disease/fertilizer combo that contains seaweed, ascorbic acid, yarrow, and horsetails along with a bunch of other organic goodies. I'm in the 2nd week of bloom with it now on a plant that looked like it wasn't gonna make it a few weeks ago. Yarrow is known for repelling insects and I've witnessed the power of horsetails for myself last year when it actually killed my PM instead of covering it up like the expensive shit I had bought & tried.

Top Bottom