Over lighting??

• Thread starter Vexor1717
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Anthem

Anthem

LED tech is an evolving technology and as such changes pretty drastically pretty frequently. You want the latest from whatever manufacturer you buy from.

I own this light. I like it. I am not an expert. I have not flowered with it. I own two and use them in a 32x32 and have them at half power for veg. 1 would be enough, I have two because I originally had two tents (one for my wife's non-pot plants). The spectrum and coverage are as advertised as far as I can tell using my light meter and some conversions. The construction is good. The heatsink disperses so that it runs at about 115 on full blast for me, and that is wicked off pretty fast by my exhaust fan. I know that more red spectrum will help in flower, but that spectrum based on my meter looks okay, so we will see.

Just going on Amazon is very overwhelming. The above site has very good video reviews and the guy is very nice in my dealing with him. I wish I could give you a recommendation based on flowering but I can't. I can tell you that so far I feel good about my light. My internodal spacing is super tight, coverage is good, and it runs cool enough for me.

Here is some good reading information for you to help you understand the LED lighting for Cannabis. I hope you enjoy.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I agree many many led companies lie or steal charts from the big boys in an effort to sell products. This doesn't make the products bad but it does mislead the buyer into think they have more ppfd than they think. Maybe part of the reason I say 30w sq ft and some say 40-50? Idk.

They absolutely grow plants and can grow amazing well. But IMHO many are misleading the buyers. Hlg does independent labs tests and shows the reports and many other do also. Unfortunately not all LED manufacturers do this because of money and efforts to sell products.

Remember hlg and others cost more for a reason. This being one of them. They pay for independent testing. As far I know they still do so maybe that's changed but not that I'm aware of

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
I have no idea what you were trying to show by posting the video, but the add shows what I said and the video also calls out a different PPFD at 12". If you are just trying to justify the light you bought so be it, but please do not post something that is not true. It just causes more people to buy lights that under perform.
If you cannot parse information accurately then I cannot help you. I am not, however, a bullshitter. The video I posted shows very clearly what to expect in terms of PPFD. The number you are referring to is the average sum of 4 squares on the chart, which if you look would add up to a square foot. Going off of wattage per square foot is silly when you have more accurate measurements.

Further, the measurements I have taken on my own plants in terms of lux correlate with what is shown as best as I can tell.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Here is some good reading information for you to help you understand the LED lighting for Cannabis. I hope you enjoy.
This is a good article. And why I use lux as a guide only. Infact I feel with all the different influences with a grow all measurements should only be used as a guide and we should be learning to read the plants.

Anthem

Anthem

If you cannot parse information accurately then I cannot help you. I am not, however, a bullshitter. The video I posted shows very clearly what to expect in terms of PPFD. The number you are referring to is the average sum of 4 squares on the chart, which if you look would add up to a square foot. Going off of wattage per square foot is silly when you have more accurate measurements.

Further, the measurements I have taken on my own plants in terms of lux correlate with what is shown as best as I can tell.
So if I am understanding you correctly, the chart has a high of 722 and all the other readings are lower and you end up with a PPFD of 1791? Is this new math.

Anthem

Anthem

What lux meter did you purchase?

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
So if I am understanding you correctly, the chart has a high of 722 and all the other readings are lower and you end up with a PPFD of 1791? Is this new math.
It's per square foot, or 144 square inches (12x12). The other numbers are in 36 square inches (6x6). You add them up to get coverage per square foot. This is a different unit, yes.

The light meter is https://www.walmart.com/ip/SMART-SE...SIkKx32lOtZeQoyjubQizSMWvGmIIN7BoC10sQAvD_BwE

It's very cheap, but it measures to a high lux threshold. I did not get mine via walmart, but at a local science novelties store.

Anthem

Anthem

I do not believe you understand how to read the chart. If you take the 4 numbers in the brighter green square you get an average of 624.5. LED Grow Light depot called it out as like 1000 or 1100 at 12" but the information provided by the manufacturer is not constant with that number. They are calling it out as 1791. Basically the large commercial lights, Gavita and Fluence use PPFD to measure their lights performance because it is how we should look at lighting for cannabis. I have added a youtube light to Bruce Bughee's lecture on the matter that pretty much spells out exactly what the plants lighting requirements are and what we should shoot for. Not trying to hate on you, it is just that the manufacturers of some of these LED lights are not truthful in their information. It sucks because you do your research and you think you have the best there is to be had. Take a look at HLG next time they offer accurate information about their lights and they have stuff that will fit in a 32" x 32" tent. My fixtures will not even fit in that tent. 48" x 43"

Beowuuulf

Beowuuulf

I would just like to add, my two true 180‘s is just barely enough to truly flower my 4x4 Above 1000umol it would be more ideal in a 32 by 32 .. For advanced/supplemental growing

Re: how much light is too much?

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
I do not believe you understand how to read the chart. If you take the 4 numbers in the brighter green square you get an average of 624.5. LED Grow Light depot called it out as like 1000 or 1100 at 12" but the information provided by the manufacturer is not constant with that number. They are calling it out as 1791. Basically the large commercial lights, Gavita and Fluence use PPFD to measure their lights performance because it is how we should look at lighting for cannabis. I have added a youtube light to Bruce Bughee's lecture on the matter that pretty much spells out exactly what the plants lighting requirements are and what we should shoot for. Not trying to hate on you, it is just that the manufacturers of some of these LED lights are not truthful in their information. It sucks because you do your research and you think you have the best there is to be had. Take a look at HLG next time they offer accurate information about their lights and they have stuff that will fit in a 32" x 32" tent. My fixtures will not even fit in that tent. 48" x 43"

Thank you for the video.

I originally tried to purchase an hlg light, but they were having supply trouble so I bought the above. I have been very happy with them in veg and look forward to seeing how they work in flower.

With regards to accuracy of information, I stand by the experience I have shared and that is all.

Anthem

Anthem

I would just like to add, my two true 180‘s is just barely enough to truly flower my 4x4 Above 1000umol it would be more ideal in a 32 by 32 .. For advanced/supplemental growing

Re: how much light is too much?
The video posted outlines the limit the plant can handle. I want to say somewhere around 2000 m/MOLs. I am going off memory and I could be off. It is kind of a trip becuase stuff like lettuce require so little light.

Tech4523

Tech4523

if you have a budget the Phlizon 600w 130w actual draw prob the best bet..I'd like 2 tho imo min..

also not one to give light advice lol I just got into LEDs my self and i pack my tent...lol but also want end to end par levels..also went with the Amazon lights....in the future I have a bigger area much bigger and will be spending the money on quality LEDs. Don't believe the par reading on the lower end lights they are definitely boosted. Well according to my own readings in my tent any way

I have 4LEDs available for my 8x4

1x Spider Farmer sf2000w (200w)
1x Spider Farmer Sf4000w (440w)
2x Phlizon Cob 2000w (450w)

I pull 8000w led but 1540w from the wall....even have another SF2000w I can put in there 🤯 but when your moving into a 20x40 medical grow you can never have too many light lol

20200624 231224
Halman9000

Halman9000

Hello, about to set up my 3rd crop and had a question. Im finding higher watt lights than the ones I need. Im not sure of the specifics of over lighting but how much is too much?

Maybe the plants are more sensitive to light and heat in the root zone , if you have been just fed them a strong dose of fertilizer . It happened to me , but I think it also depends on if the soil is getting hot in terms of temperature . Just a wild guess .

Best regards ,
Halman9000

Top Bottom