Pest Identification

• Thread starter MushinNoShin
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
MushinNoShin

MushinNoShin

Oh shit.... So Mushin has been having some major pest problems over the past couple days. Out of nowhere I got hit by what I believe to be 2-spotted spider mites (Aka Borg?) and some sort of caterpillar that is absolutely destroying my veg/mum room. Anyways, could sure use some help and advice from you pest experts out there. Much thanks in advance!

(Please see attached photos)

Oh, and if you are having pest problems and are trying to identify a pest, please feel free to post here and hopefully someone will be by to help us out :)

Pest identification
Pest identification 2
Pest identification 3
Pest identification 4
Pest identification 5

Pretty sure that's poop in the last pic... So sad :(

Also, is that a spider mite in the second pic? It looks different, different stage of development? I was really hoping it might be n. californicus and maybe beneficial, but that is probably wishful thinking...

MushinNoShin

MushinNoShin

I sprayed spinosads yesterday and followed-up with AzaMax (foliar spray and a bit in the soil, but not a thorough root drench) later that night. Today I sprayed Safer 3-in-1, but ran out. I have Floramite and Forbid coming in the mail. Am I on the right path? The caterpillars are the ones that are doing the immediate damage and they move FAST, I am literally loosing fan-leaves by the hour. Can anyone recommend anything for caterpillars? I believe they came from moths.

rubthe nub

rubthe nub

should be able to pick off caterpillars off by hand
its a poa and takes time but safer than pesticides

Ive heard of people crushing/smashing catapillers and mixing with h20 and then spraying on plants
Apparently they don't like the pheromones from the dead ones. I wouldn't use that on buds but in veg you should be fine. Just make sure and rinse 'em off good before budding them

MushinNoShin

MushinNoShin

Update: Safer 3-in-1 smoked the caterpillars, onto the spider mites

MushinNoShin

MushinNoShin

I've heard stories about how tough the Borg is, anyone have experience with them? I've heard they are like the herpies of cannabis pest, one you got um', you got um', which is why I'm going with a 5 pronged attack with some heavy duty shit like Floramite and Forbid. This is only for my mum/veg room, mind you, not my bloom room (fortunately). Picking them off by hand isn't practical for my situation and I don't have the best of eye-sight.

MushinNoShin

MushinNoShin

Add Hot Shot NoPest strips to that list.... I shit you not, every time I saw "NoPest strips" I always thought people meant like sticky traps lol. Like I said, never had a serious pest problem (fungus gnats and ants occasionally).

Tnelz

Tnelz

Add Hot Shot NoPest strips to that list.... I shit you not, every time I saw "NoPest strips" I always thought people meant like sticky traps lol. Like I said, never had a serious pest problem (fungus gnats and ants occasionally).
So don't want to make u feel worse but ants could be a sign of aphids. Ants farm them so take a good look through ur medium. One doesn't necessarily mean the other is there but if I saw ants I'd be a little extra nervous. Good luck bro. The floramite will cause mass casualties. Keep a 3 prong attack and u should end up ok. Wish u the best.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I've heard stories about how tough the Borg is, anyone have experience with them? I've heard they are like the herpies of cannabis pest, one you got um', you got um', which is why I'm going with a 5 pronged attack with some heavy duty shit like Floramite and Forbid. This is only for my mum/veg room, mind you, not my bloom room (fortunately). Picking them off by hand isn't practical for my situation and I don't have the best of eye-sight.
They are NOTHING compared to shit like broad mites and root aphids. I cannot advocate the chemicals you plan to use, one of the main issues is resistance caused by misuse of these single site mode of action 'cides.'
Chemical soup.

MushinNoShin

MushinNoShin

Many people have had great luck using spinosad vs spider mites as of late. But I wouldn't suggest just any spinosad. Conserve SC is the way to go. Expensive but worth it and a better choice than chems. Just my opinion.
I used Captain Jack's, but didn't seem to effect them much. Went to take a peak this mornning and they spread to 2 other plants.

MushinNoShin

MushinNoShin

They are NOTHING compared to shit like broad mites and root aphids. I cannot advocate the chemicals you plan to use, one of the main issues is resistance caused by misuse of these single site mode of action 'cides.'

Chemical soup.
I hear that, but I just want to be rid of them asap. A lot of these girls are destined for seed run, might just trash the rest. We'll see how it goes.

Tnelz

Tnelz

I used Captain Jack's, but didn't seem to effect them much. Went to take a peak this mornning and they spread to 2 other plants.
Captain jacks is a waste against them bro. It's like 05 percent and conserve is something like 12.5 percent. Like a 25 caliber against a ak ya know. Totally different stuff

MushinNoShin

MushinNoShin

Captain jacks is a waste against them bro. It's like 05 percent and conserve is something like 12.5 percent. Like a 25 caliber against a ak ya know. Totally different stuff
Really? Damn, now that's the kind of info I need! Much obligued broskis! No wonder the spinosads haven't been work that well.

MushinNoShin

MushinNoShin

I noticed that I only get ants when it rains, like they seek refuge in my pots and whatnot. Not a big problem. What I do is get a big, shallow rubber-maid tub, fill it with water and some soap, put a smaller bucket or tub in the middle upside-down to create like a motte and then water the soil with a cinnamon/soap mix. Works every single time and totally eliminates them. I leave it like that for a few days to a week. Seems tedious, but it literally only takes me about 5 minutes at most.

Now I don't know if every single one of them dies or if they just pack-up and leave the hostile-ass environment (the survivors, assuming there are any), but it works.

Big problem I had w/o the motte was they would just relocate to another pot lol.

For fungus gnats I would just turn my drippers down.

This is the full extent of my experience with pest lol. Life use to be so simple :(

MushinNoShin

MushinNoShin

Have you ever tried making your own habenaro & garlic spray, using sm90, stylet oil, neem oil. Maybe diatomaceous earth.
I haven't, have you had success with it? I am hesitant to go the organic route because I feel like it may be less effective in permanently ridding myself of the Borg.

Losing my genetics is simply not an option for me and I am looking for a sure-fire way of exterminating these mites. If anything, I will let them grow out a bit, take new cuts and make new mums.

I know we all put a lot into what we do, but I have searched and traveled high and low for my cuts and some of them were very expensive. Not to mention the hundreds, if not thousands of beans I've gone thru to find my select phenos. I simply can't take the risk of something not working.

MushinNoShin

MushinNoShin

I know a lot of you guys (and gals) are against the heavy duty pesticides, and for good reason, but that is the route I have to take, as it seems the most reliable. I am being Blitzkrieged by these pest. If anyone has any experience or recommendations on dosage/application, I would be forever grateful.

My plan is to hit them heavy with Forbid 4F @ 1 ml per gallon and then follow-up with Floramite @ 1/4th teaspoon 3 days later. Now both of the products say they are compatible with other pesticides and I see a lot of guys mixing them, does anyone have any experience or recommendations for this?

After this initial application I will hang Hot Shot NoPest strips and continue to apply AzaMax (although it seems AzaMax is better for prevention and works on a much longer timescale).

If anyone has any advice, recommendations or thoughts on this, I would love to hear it, thanks!

Latest posts

Top Bottom