Pissing Or Saving Your Piss For Your Garden, Lets Discuss.

• Thread starter LittleDabbie
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Status
Not open for further replies.
Xhale

Xhale

Yeah. I investigated a worm farm vs bokashi and went with bokashi. It’s much easier to operate on a daily basis And uses 100% of food waste (egg shells. Bone. Fish.)

the “easier to operate” was the winner. And I get piss on the dump site

Kanzeon

Kanzeon

I will just leave this here.

I think that guy comes off as overly authoritarian and at times arrogant. It's like there's an agenda there.

He's being pedantic about the definition of composting, then saying that bokashi doesn't meet that. It's "composting" only in the sense that it's a way to use food scraps.

The theory behind bokashi is that the lacto fermentation process makes the nutrients in the food scraps more available as it ferments, whereas composting can be nitrogen negative at times depending on how broken down the components are. Also that the lactic acid created by the mixture, when added to soil, oxidizes into Pyruvic acid, which is a main component of glycolysis.

https://www.cliffsnotes.com/study-guides/biology/biology/cellular-respiration/glycolysis#:~:text=Glycolysis is the process in,and the cells of microorganisms.

If he wants to prove that it works or doesn't work, that's what he needs to prove or disprove. He dismisses claims based on his understanding of theory instead of actually testing things, which is antithetical to scientific method.

And I don't even use Bokashi. 😄

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I think that guy comes off as overly authoritarian and at times arrogant. It's like there's an agenda there.

He's being pedantic about the definition of composting, then saying that bokashi doesn't meet that. It's "composting" only in the sense that it's a way to use food scraps.

The theory behind bokashi is that the lacto fermentation process makes the nutrients in the food scraps more available as it ferments, whereas composting can be nitrogen negative at times depending on how broken down the components are. Also that the lactic acid created by the mixture, when added to soil, oxidizes into Pyruvic acid, which is a main component of glycolysis.

https://www.cliffsnotes.com/study-guides/biology/biology/cellular-respiration/glycolysis#:~:text=Glycolysis is the process in,and the cells of microorganisms.

If he wants to prove that it works or doesn't work, that's what he needs to prove or disprove. He dismisses things based on his understanding of theory instead of actually testing things, which is antithetical to scientific method.

And I don't even use Bokashi. 😄

I attached it because of the anaerobic bacteria and the lack of breakdown time in an apartment method. Without the planting hole it makes no sense to me and with a hole you could just compost normally.

And the “tea” would be pretty much void of nutrients in only a couple weeks and also contain only anaerobic bacteria.

Kanzeon

Kanzeon

I attached it because of the anaerobic bacteria and the lack of breakdown time in an apartment method. Without the planting hole it makes no sense to me and with a hole you could just compost normally.

And the “tea” would be pretty much void of nutrients in only a couple weeks and also contain only anaerobic bacteria.

That's the whole idea, it doesn't need a breakdown time. The lacto fermentation makes the nutrients in the mix available right away, which is a claim that I haven't seen him or anyone else prove or disprove. I'm firmly in the "I don't know" camp with bokashi.

I think of it like compost tea, which he also doesn't like. It's widely purported to spread beneficial microbes, not provide a food source. But NPK content was the metric that he used to judge it, and he also says it's not organic because it contains nitrites- like they somehow can't exist organically?

There are studies that he doesn't acknowledge that add much more nuance to his claims.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4564151/

That guy approaches the subject of plants with zero intellectual curiosity. He doesn't test anything for his conclusions and frequently misrepresents the claims of the "myths" that he goes after. I wouldn't be surprised if he's getting some Monsanto cash for writing that stuff- that's some prime search engine opitmization he's got on that little blog there.

Edit: Just found this. He's mysteriously okay with glyphosate, but thinks compost tea isn't organic?

https://www.gardenmyths.com/truth-roundup-glyphosate/

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

That's the whole idea, it doesn't need a breakdown time. The lacto fermentation makes the nutrients in the mix available right away, which is a claim that I haven't seen him or anyone else prove or disprove. I'm firmly in the "I don't know" camp with bokashi.

I think of it like compost tea, which he also doesn't like. It's widely purported to spread beneficial microbes, not provide a food source. But NPK content was the metric that he used to judge it, and he also says it's not organic because it contains nitrites- like they somehow can't exist organically?

There are studies that he doesn't acknowledge that add much more nuance to his claims.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4564151/

That guy approaches the subject of plants with zero intellectual curiosity. He doesn't test anything for his conclusions and frequently misrepresents the claims of the "myths" that he goes after. I wouldn't be surprised if he's getting some Monsanto cash for writing that stuff- that's some prime search engine opitmization he's got on that little blog there.

Ok. Im not defending the author. I also have doubts about compost tea and outside bacteria actually colonizing beyond an initial bloom. It is more likely they compete for food in a container in my opinion.

But thank you for the links. I posted this to start a discussion. And thats what is happening.

Xhale

Xhale

I will just leave this here.

I agree with some of the complaints. It’s definitely not ready in a few weeks as the claim, but it recycles all my kitchen waste. It probably ends up being a mix of composting and fermentation Process that goes on under the ground. I see more worms...always a good thing :)

ive really uses the Concentrated tea to kill off some unwanted persistent plants, And the pot plants seem happy with the diluted tea.

Who knows? It’s all good vibes from kitchen to ground to lungs :)

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
The biggest problem with using piss is the slow buildup of salinity. I ran a few experiments this summer with my dialysate liquid, which is pretty much identical to pee, especially after being cycled and containing the waste products. The nutrients are good but the salt content will cause issues if it isn't flushed out or is used too often. Since it's breakdown depends on microbes, I think outdoors use is best. In my opinion.

frebo

frebo

The biggest problem with using piss is the slow buildup of salinity. I ran a few experiments this summer with my dialysate liquid, which is pretty much identical to pee, especially after being cycled and containing the waste products. The nutrients are good but the salt content will cause issues if it isn't flushed out or is used too often. Since it's breakdown depends on microbes, I think outdoors use is best. In my opinion.
I have used Bokashi for years in TEAS. I have also used OG Biowar’s products. I don’t use Bokashi in my compost. I piss on the soil outdoors and not every time I urinate, but I would not do that indoors. This year besides the Fox Farm feeding schedule I still make teas with molasses, fish emulsion, alfalfa meal and Sea 90. I throw everything I can at my ladies seeking the best product I can, as most of you do. I have had 6 lb. plants with my methods.
How many farmers even use some kind of microbiotics?
If you see something wrong with my tea or that you don’t agree with, please discuss it with me. I’m here to learn.

frebo

frebo

I only piss on the soil once in a while and never that much. Way too much soil to over do it.

LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
I been dumpign gallons of it on my outdoor plants... peed a few times on a cpl of them.. there growing great.. hemp plants starting to bush out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom