Planning Outdoor

• Thread starter McGoogler
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
below frigid

below frigid

I'm having some early troubles that I did not encounter last year. Most of my seedlings seem to be kinds falling over and won't grow upright. Most of them have also not shed their shell yet and appear rather weak. I began adding willow water to the regular watering hoping to promote better root growth yesterday. Hoping I don't lose my plants. Any advice welcome.

I have found that if I plant the germinated seeds too shallow that they have a hard time shedding their helmets. The process of them having to dig out a little helps to loosen the shells. If they are stretching with the helmets on they are probably looking for light. You can help them but be very delicate. Just my two cents. 1/2 inch is what I shoot for. If they can't make it up from there or a little deeper you don't want them anyway. Especially for outdoor, you that vigor.

McGoogler

McGoogler

I have found that if I plant the germinated seeds too shallow that they have a hard time shedding their helmets. The process of them having to dig out a little helps to loosen the shells. If they are stretching with the helmets on they are probably looking for light. You can help them but be very delicate. Just my two cents. 1/2 inch is what I shoot for. If they can't make it up from there or a little deeper you don't want them anyway. Especially for outdoor, you that vigor.
Thanks for the feedback. That's also the general consensus I've been getting from other local growers. I tried replanting a few deeper and have already had to remove the helmets from a few. I also noticed this morning that the wrong bulbs were in the lights I was given. I switched them from the pos shop lights to fluorescent grow lights this morning and could see a noticeable difference in the spectrum so I'm hoping they will perk up a bit soon. I also sprouted another 5 seeds to make up for some of the ones I'm gonna lose and went back to a soil I had better luck with in the past. And sorry about the lack of pics, my phone camera is garbage. I may take some good ones later. Hopefully they will be looking better. Peace.

below frigid

below frigid

Do to space restrictions indoors this year. I germed them the normal way, planted them in the starter trays and straight outside in the gazebo. days were in the 70's nights low 40's to high 30's. started 150 ish and over 90% came up. They got beat up a little last week do to getting over an inch of rain over night and temps in the mid 30's but they perked right back up. One nice thing is with all the showers we are still getting I have not had to water them since I transplanted. They probably do a little better under the plastic but I have only used it one spring when I started too early. Sooner they get used to the elements the better. One week from coming up and mine are in full sun.

McGoogler

McGoogler

the more natural light the better if they are going outdoor.

i do not even use lights anymore.
Right now I have them under 2 40 watt fluorescent grow lights in the sunroom floor set to the time they will go outside. Are you suggesting they will do better up on the windowsill during sunlight hours?

purpnugz

purpnugz

Right now I have them under 2 40 watt fluorescent grow lights in the sunroom floor set to the time they will go outside. Are you suggesting they will do better up on the windowsill during sunlight hours?
Start giving them a little window sill time and gradually increase.

SpiderK

SpiderK

what is your general location. will they finish by mid-oct ....

if yes, then yes i would put them in window. even if its not direct light all day as long as they get the early dawn lighting and end of day.

i started seeds in glass on may 10th, sat by window then put them out june 1st or so last year had 9 in giant pot all ten footers mid august

i filled a ten foot diameter airpot with two feet of native soil. ( 10 x 10 x 2 ) the roots explode with much quickness :smoking:

3 x 3 x 2's will keep them about 5-6ft .....

Last edited:
Jay Reno

Jay Reno

LED lights supplemented along with plenty of natural sun works great and affordable. low power draw so you can go solar too.

royfree2grow

royfree2grow

Germination in a cup of water went incredibly fast. This is the setup I build for the cheap fluorescent light my grandma gave me. Lol. Most have sprouted now. It seems I may have planted the seeds too shallow but I'm hoping they can adapt accordingly. More to come.
u need a reflector for that light also the symptoms you described sounds like your plant don't get enough light. soil recipe looks good to me- maybe i would go higher on the ewc and add some dolomite, vermiculite is great for soil aeration. goodluck!

juiceyjay

juiceyjay

Germination in a cup of water went incredibly fast. This is the setup I build for the cheap fluorescent light my grandma gave me. Lol. Most have sprouted now. It seems I may have planted the seeds too shallow but I'm hoping they can adapt accordingly. More to come.
hey man hows it goin, couple little tips to help u out. seedlings dont need those bags over them since by the time they are above soil they are an established root taking water from the soil, also maybe look into seedling heat mats they help a lot with germination rates make sure u put a nice thick towel between mat and pot bottoms tho or it will overheat them. maybe try using some black gold bag soil to start your seeds in. its cheap and is a great soil, then you can transplant into your hotter soil mix

JMcG

JMcG

I'm sure you're on this already but...
Like spiderk mentioned, make sure you can finish them. If you are in the ground they will be permanent. When do you see your first frost? I live in at 5500 ft in the Rockies and there is no way I can make it to mid October. It's a good argument for potting them, although who wants to move thirty late stage plants?
I'm sure you've thought of a greenhouse... supplemental light and heat would get you there.

McGoogler

McGoogler

I'm sure you're on this already but...
Like spiderk mentioned, make sure you can finish them. If you are in the ground they will be permanent. When do you see your first frost? I live in at 5500 ft in the Rockies and there is no way I can make it to mid October. It's a good argument for potting them, although who wants to move thirty late stage plants?
I'm sure you've thought of a greenhouse... supplemental light and heat would get you there.
Hey guys. Thanks for the tips. I have thought of flower times. I am only doing indicas with short flower times this year. I began utilizing the window sill a bit today. Someone mentioned the bags on the top, those were only until they broke the surface. I seem to have fixed the light and soil issues but unfortunately it seems too late for most of these. As one last desperate attempt I covered the seeds that would not lose the helmets with a little more soil hoping they will grow upwards and open up. As for the five new seeds I germinate last night so far so good. Two have already broke the surface free of their shell and look healthy. The new soil definitely helps. I have 5 more germinating tonight. Then I will probably do another 10 the following day. Definitely took a hit early on but I should have plenty of seeds to make up for and if all goes well I will clone a few. Even started growing a willow tree from a small branch to make willow water in the future.

McGoogler

McGoogler

decided to finally upload some pics to let you know where I'm at. these are the pics of the original bunch from the other day. I've pretty much decided to cut my losses on these now, though I will try to continue taking care of them and be optimistic.

IMG 1589
IMG 1590
IMG 1591
IMG 1592
IMG 1593
IMG 1594
IMG 1595
IMG 1596
IMG 1597
IMG 1598
IMG 1599
IMG 1600
McGoogler

McGoogler

kinda starting over here. these are the first two to break soil from the latest five. much healthier with the recent changes. and also a picture of the new soon to be willow tree just for the hell of it. lol

IMG 1772
IMG 1773
IMG 1774
IMG 1778
Irish063

Irish063

is that a portillo's cup in back :eyepiece:.... if so, the very best 'fast food of alltime.....

good show either way ....
Funny, I thought this was a What-a-Burger cup. (Burger chain in Texas)
lol That it is. Best chili dogs in Chicago. Never thought somebody would catch that. Good eye. It was there chocolate cake shake :smoking:

SpiderK

SpiderK

lol That it is. Best chili dogs in Chicago. Never thought somebody would catch that. Good eye. It was there chocolate cake shake :smoking:

@purpnugz

i knew it. !!!! the entire chocolate cake is $17.00 great for parties, everyone goes crazy after diner. the original chili is bomb !!

did you get the beef with hot peppers and fries ??? everything WAS the best .... family chain lets see how the hedge fund crew runs it after 1.1billion purchase..

Portillos

Portilloscake

Portillos chicago beef

Last edited:
purpnugz

purpnugz

Yes sir now that's a cheesesteak sandwich. Love there shakes. Must have if your in the Chicago area.
@purpnugz

i knew it. !!!! the entire chocolate cake is $17.00 great for parties, everyone goes crazy after diner. the original chili is bomb !!

did you get the beef with hot peppers and fries ??? everything WAS the best .... family chain lets see how the hedge fund crew runs it after 1.1billion purchase..

View attachment 693809
View attachment 693810
View attachment 693808

Last edited:
Evergreenz

Evergreenz

and before the flip add couple jobes fertilizer spikes to help last through bloom. You'll see a heavier yield with the jobes.
Just curious I was checking out the spikes which do you prefer? all purpose 4-4-4, rose 3-5-3, or vegetable 2-7-4

purpnugz

purpnugz

I use the all purpose personally but the rose spike looks promising.

Top Bottom