Plant Spacing and Light Layout

• Thread starter Decisive
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Widowmaker

Widowmaker

I'm upside down on my grow. Totally sold on water cooled lights. Was thinking that I wouldn't need to spend more money for dehueys and still need A/C.

G13 is the monster that DDs grows. I would go with 36" centers with water cooled lights. DDs gets to 8" with bare bulbs and we can get allot closer with water cooled lights.

No disrespect here just frustration with how much it will cost to grow this summer. May just grow some seedlings and clones and find some good mothers. Then get ready for a fall grow when temps drop.
:icon_spin:

M

Mr_Marley_Jim

Hey Mr. Happy - Check out my new build out...

I think it may be along the lines of what you were trying to do...

Feel free to tag along!

S

stillsmokin

I'm trying to figure out the best way to setup my next room.

I have two possible areas for the flower rooms (I want to avoid flip/flopping simply because I want to yield one larger room and get the most out of the lights).

I have one room that's 25ft x 25ft, and another that's 12ft x 25ft but that could be extended too 12ft x 35-50ft~ (depending on if I take down one wall or two (there is two rooms that obviously aren't support walls).

What do you guys suggest? I don't have access to cad drawing programs, so what do you guys recommend. At first I thought I could grow a bit in the 25 x 25 room, but it's not situatied in the right corner of the house so it has that going against it. The 12 x 25 room is ideally situated in terms of where in the house it is, but I'm thinking I could only fit 8 plants and 12 lights in there, and that it would be pretty tight. Worth it to expand the room? Worth it too expand to both rooms?

The strain I'm growing is g13 x haze, so it shouldn't get too big, right? (could be wrong, I know the haze family get's huge but I thought the g13 crossing keeps things controllable indoors).

Widowmaker

Widowmaker

I'm trying to figure out the best way to setup my next room.

I have two possible areas for the flower rooms (I want to avoid flip/flopping simply because I want to yield one larger room and get the most out of the lights).

I have one room that's 25ft x 25ft, and another that's 12ft x 25ft but that could be extended too 12ft x 35-50ft~ (depending on if I take down one wall or two (there is two rooms that obviously aren't support walls).

What do you guys suggest? I don't have access to cad drawing programs, so what do you guys recommend. At first I thought I could grow a bit in the 25 x 25 room, but it's not situatied in the right corner of the house so it has that going against it. The 12 x 25 room is ideally situated in terms of where in the house it is, but I'm thinking I could only fit 8 plants and 12 lights in there, and that it would be pretty tight. Worth it to expand the room? Worth it too expand to both rooms?

The strain I'm growing is g13 x haze, so it shouldn't get too big, right? (could be wrong, I know the haze family get's huge but I thought the g13 crossing keeps things controllable indoors).

Look here,

there is a butt load of different room already drawn.
If you still need a drawing, let me know.

S

stillsmokin

Look here,

there is a butt load of different room already drawn.
If you still need a drawing, let me know.

I would love a drawing as I'm in a similar setup and the link you provided doesn't have any active attachments, they all seem invalid?

I have a 11' x 32' , 14 1k ballasts are setup, 10 mpbs are ready. I'm just trying to figure out the exact positions for the lights/plants but I'm terrible with ze maths/drawing.

Thanks in advance, really appreciate any help you can throw my way.

edit-1 wow, that post I quoted is mine haha. Oh my :stonedsmilie: anywhoo. Ya, the room is now 11x32. Forget the other bs. 14 lights, 10 mpbs.

Widowmaker

Widowmaker

Sorry not doing drawings anymore. Had some very unpleasant conversations with an A hole here at the farm who couldn't replicate DDs 4 lb plants. I got pissed and removed my drawings, now I wished I hadn't, but its too much work to put them back.
Suggest making your room as flexible as possible until you know how to optimize spacing for the strain you want to grow.

M

mrdizzle

you should ask coxie what he thinks of 40in centers, the talk I had on the phone with him the other day went something like this " 40in centers is a fucking joke, had to redo my whole set up"

Thats what happens when you actually grow plants, you realize things that you might now otherwise if your just playing with a computer program

S

stillsmokin

Sorry not doing drawings anymore. Had some very unpleasant conversations with an A hole here at the farm who couldn't replicate DDs 4 lb plants. I got pissed and removed my drawings, now I wished I hadn't, but its too much work to put them back.
Suggest making your room as flexible as possible until you know how to optimize spacing for the strain you want to grow.

It is pretty flexible as it is, I've done enough of these system rebuilds/revisions to know that there is always room for something better.

Sorry about the asshole who chewed you out though, shouldn't stress to much over it though. People always wanna blame their mistakes on others.

M

mrdizzle

the asshole was me, I was trying to help people not set up 40in centers so at harvest time they werent asking themselves where the rest of their pounds are.

Windowcleaner sent me a PM with sand in his crotch telling me he was right, so I told him to go fuck himself with a 40oz. see instead of tracing circles, I grow trees, so when someone who doesnt tries to tell me Im wrong, Im sure going to tell him exactly what I think of him.

Im personally happy he took down those drawings, it will save everyone from redoing their room after their first harvest and giving themselves a spacing that will accommodate a 2+p pound plant. ask your self this how many 3ft wide plants have you seen weight more that 8oz?

make no mistakes, Im not growing big bud so I dont want 4lbs of crappy herb, I grow kush and am more than happy with 2lbs of AAA+ bud per light.

if you set up a 40in center, you will either flip your plants way too small and end up with shit yeilds, or you will grow your plant into the light and reduces its footprint down to about 5inches giving you crap yeilds. I have 5.5ft spacings and have buds within 8in of the bulbs

your trying to fit a 4x8ft table worth of bud on one plant, unless your growing a strain that produces paint cans for kolas you need a 5x5ft plant, so thats a 60in wide plant, and then you need to slip a bulb in between that plant and another 60in plant, so your spacing could easily be 6ft stem to stem, not 3ft 4inch, that makes me laugh

ask anyone who have actually grown a 2pound plant before, Jk, janus, easies, me, Lost, coxie, DHF, or 100's of others over the last 10yrs and I bet not one will agree with a 40in stem to stem

If you grow in rows, you have shorten your spacing to 50in, but if your doing the x0x0x0x pattern you best start at 55in

anytime windowboy wants to post his grow and prove me wrong, I'll be here

M

mrdizzle

a quote of jalisco Kid

" Otherwise just flip them small and expect you will noway get a kg a plant. I see others in different sys then mine claiming 3+lb trees on 40" centers with plants 40" around/tall. My 3 lbers are 6' tall and 5-6' wide.
I use 5'6" centers and my girls grow into each other.

Get a mechanics stool to work on.With my gm 1000's size it gives me just enough room to roll around my room. I love working in the shade.
I see you like most are missing an important piece of equipment,where's the speakers?
Suerte JK"

TrichromeFan

TrichromeFan

http://i279.invalid.com/albums/kk126/jasunrulez2/you-dick.jpg

Thanks dizzle. We should all be listening to people like you, who have already walked the walk with the trees. Repetitive requests for plant and light layouts are pretty boring anyways. So, do you really think that you could fit a 40 oz up there?:D

-TF

M

mrdizzle

haha with a little elbow grease, shit for all I know you might be able to just drop it in there

mikeross

mikeross

I agree 100% with dizzle for guys not running rows. My plants are only 1 week in the system, still vegging, and if I had anything 40" in the layout I would have to flip now. The plants that are getting hit on 4 sides have a spacing of 70" length wise and if I flip these pk at 30-36" I can already seeing it getting close. Width wise my spacing is still over 60". I could see 40" spaces working with rows but you would need a ton more plants to match the yield of a xoxo layout.

All my opinion of course. I have very little hydro experience but do have a 14 site mpb room that is flourishing thanks to members like dizzle.

M

mrdizzle

thanks mike

I gotta say this was about the only thing thats ever truly pissed me off on the farm, and it still does. People are dropping big bucks on this system and I couldnt believe someone who has never tried to grow a 2lb plus plant and had no money to loose could tell people to space them 40in apart. He was just high on life with all the dick riding he was getting from people wanting room layouts and he couldnt believe I dare question his circles and dots. you wouldnt even cover your electricity if you grow a 3ft wide plant.

JPLord01

JPLord01

With the way my plants are growing if I had the space I would have did a 70in stim to stim setup they need it. People need to listen to Dizz He has 7 grows under his belt so he know what he is talk about.

Widowmaker

Widowmaker

Ignorance and arrogance is a dead end guys. I didn't pull 40" out of my hat. Its DDs suggested spacing growing his G13 plant. If you have been growing a short internode indica and following the instructions below, you have reason to complain about 40" centers.

Coxie is a great & brave guy but he vegged his Hashplant too long and he told me so.

See below a condensed collection of DoubleDs Grow tips. Some are from posts and others are from private messages:
DDs quotes:
If you haven’t been inside an MPB garden b4 it is extremely bright, so bright that if you don’t have an expensive pair of sunglasses you will have a migraine in less than 5 minutes. If you put clones in that haven’t been hardened off they will lumen shock then die. I take my clones, 4 per 4inch Rockwool cube, that way you can take big clones and they turn out beautiful and green. I then split the 4 inch cube down the middle twice so i have 4 even size clones. I then transplant them to 6 inch cubes and place them on an ebb n flow table with a 1000 watt Hortilux above them 4ft horizontal reflector. Over the course of 10 days to 2 weeks I lower the reflector every 2 days until it gets 8 inches above the cuts after 2 weeks. You can tell when they are ready by the change in the new leaf structure. The leaves get very bumpy.
Instead of flat and smooth they are slightly twisty and bumpy. Ok, they are now ready to go to the MPB's where they will get 3 to 4 times more light then they got on the table. After this hardening off period on the table they still are going to get lumen shock but not nearly as bad. We keep our vertical lights above the plants (bottom of bulb is 2 inches above top of plant) over the next 7 to 10 days we lower our vertical bulbs until they are beside the plants. Now we are ready to flower.
Remember, everything i have said here is based on what I see happening, my strain, the way the room is operating at that time (season) don’t follow this exactly, it’s a great place to start but you need to know your strain. Pick 1 strain only; learn it like the back of your hand. I can grow my g13 w/o ph metres or ec/ppm metre. I know her so well i know what’s going on just by her colour.
Use Rockwool bro, as long as the cubes aren’t sitting directly in water they cannot over saturate. When i transplant i put a dripper in each cube for the first 2-3 weeks running 24/7 with no problem, actually it works way better than putting the drippers beside the cube.
You sent me a pm re. cubes and i will try to explain it to you best i can. I have used both 4x4 and 6x6x6 cubes. The 4 inch cubes dont allow for great branch growth during veg but the 6 inch i get beautiful branching on my cuts, so rather than a stick clone when i transplant to the mpb when i use 6 inch cubes i transplant a small bush. These branches end up huge and yield goes way up.
Another thing if i transfer 2 cuts at the same time to the mpbs one 4 inch cube and 1 6inch cube, they r both exactly the same height..... the 4 inch one will be a foot around and a foot shorter than the plant in the 6 inch cube at the end of 3 weeks flower.

When your growing those indicas a foot equals about a pound in yield.
the best possible veg setup
buy n ebb n flow table and build a pvc frame to lay on top of the table. Put a 6 inch cube on the table and measure from the top of the table to the top of the cube and add 12 inches. Make your fram this high. Now you can clone directly on your ebb n flow table directly into your 6 inch cubes... take your cuts and throw a piece of plastic over your pvc frame and make sure it relatively sealedto the edges of your table.... now you have a 4ft x 4ft cloning chamber/vegging table. Once you hit 10 - 14 days, remove the plastic, fire up the 1000 and veg away. No transplant shock from small cubes to big cubes, you didnt even touch them. continue veggin until your ready for the mpb's.
I have tried everyway bro, this is the best and you will never here my going any other way again.
ps make sure your veg water is chilled mate, many peeps get root rot at this phase, or at least a start to it. You must chill your water weather you veg or flower
I think i only get about 2 inches buried in the net pot with 4 inches sticking out. Again, it depends on your water level in the net pots. You want 2 inches of hydroton between the nutes and the cube. Remember when your filling the bottom of your basket with hydroton, after you put approx 2 inches of hydroton in lean on the top of the basket to simulate the weight of a full grown tree and make sure you still have 2 inches.
Also, make sure the drippers r running to because that will add to the height of the nute solution. Follow this to the t and you won’t go wrong. Shit..... also, make sure you put a dripper directly into the top of the cube dripping 24/7 for the first 3 weeks, way better than laying in beside the cube.
Correct, i use 2 drippers (not sure gph) but i put one directly into the top of the cube (do not cover in hydroton, cant. 4 inches of cube sits above the net pot)
Seedlings
High yield plants www.sensiseeds.com can’t miss strains are Hashplant, Northern Lights, Black Domina and G13/Hashplant.
Hi Coxie
I set my ppm at 650 ppm/6.0 ph and i water/flood 1once a day. If you r in a rush to get them big then you could water up to 4 times per/18 hours.
dds
Thanks so much doubled! That is right about were I was at... Definitely keeping my fingers crossed with these seedlings but so far they seem to be jamming!

I don’t know the reason why but the biggest yielding plants all come from 6 x 6 cubes. I believe they build allot more root system in the 6 x 6 than they do the 4 x 4. I will never use 4 x 4 again. I take my clones and have a nice root system in 10 days, roots at 7 but not enough 4 a 1000 watt light. I put them on the table for 14 days with a 1000 over head lowering it from say 3ft over the clones to 8 inches at the end of 14 days. Into the mpb's for 5 - 7 days and flower straight away.
04-04-2010, 10:06 AM
I dont know if i told you this or if you have read it but when i transplant my 6x6 cube into the mpb they are only 8 inches tall x 6 inches wide. A nice little shrub. Even at this size bro they get 6-9 days of veg depending on how fast they get over minimal lumen shock. These cuts will end up 3.5 ft tall, 4.5 ft wide and weigh in anywhere between 3 and 5 pounds. I tried running raskals white bubblegum, indica pheno. She was 6inches tall x 6inches wide when flowered and ended up being 5.5ft tall x 5ft wide..... it was sik. It took over everything, all the lights had to be moved to the ceiling and the yield went to shit.
Start small bro, learn what you have got from there and then work it for a year. Same strain.
1) you will be a 10 times better grower, you will see things and learn things that would take you 10 years to learn normally.
2) pick a strain and stik with it for 5 grows/1year.
3) Keep a journal, write all those important thoughts down so when you start round 2 you can sit down and have a read b4 you start.
Do this and you will be a MASTER mpb'r in 12 months.
A minimum of 1/2 hp is recommended and I would double the a/c. 12000 btu/1 ton of a/c is good for 3 x 1000 watt lights all the time except for the hot summer heat, esp if your garden is above ground.
END:

I've never misrepresented myself, I said many times I was not an experienced grower. Grew a few crops outdoors and indoors in the mid 70's from seeds in soil and ebb n flow with pea gravel and 2- 1000W MH lamps.
I'm an engineer, I follow instructions, do calculations and make drawings so other people can build stuff and I'm very good at it. I made drawings for folks that wanted help. If someone asked for a 50" or ?? spacing I didn't try to talk them out of it, I drew it for them. I've been thanked by DDs and other successful growers here on the Farm for my drawings. The gang of unhappy folks on this thread that are dumping on me are just not very sophisticated folks in my eyes. You don't need to build something to design it correctly. Thats how the world works, we all do different jobs. If you have sustained damages by using my drawings, I have liability insurance. Send me a PM.

I do believe that in order to grow 4 lbs plants, it needs to be a compact plant with the lamps very close together. The farther apart the lights the less intensity and there fore less growth. DDs said he tried to grow some other strains and couldn't get the weight, because of over growing. If he can’t do it, how are you going to do it?

It’s all there in MPB forum just read. Blaming me won't get it done.

M

mrdizzle

Im point is, no one has DD g13 strain, no one has anything like it, no one ever will. so why follow his room specs that 99% of strains wont work in

any MPBer out there, I want to let you all know that you will not be getting 4lb plants, you will not be getting 3lbs plants for some time and some serious hard work, if you get a 2lb plant you should jump for joy. You should be so happy with 2lbs a plant you crap your pants

the only misjustice I think DD did was not setting people straight with yeild, as far as I know he only hit the 4lbs per plant average mark once, as he posted another grow of 11 plants 33lbs. before that he got 44lbs off 23plants. 4lb plants is the white whale folks, you could spend a lifetime trying to get there

still a great system that keeps plant count waaay down which is the most important thing

Widowmaker

Widowmaker

You maybe right, but you can't prove your point by not being able to replicate DDs results. There's always the chance that someone else will come along and do it and your stuck twisting in the wind, for no good reason.

DDs is a smart guy, my guess is when his system rolls out these issues will be dealt with or they will have learned not to market it as a 4 lb system.

UCMENOW

UCMENOW

Holy Grail or Holy Shit

Finally someone bringing up that

A) 4lb. per plant mark was hit once....not repeatedly

B) Growers need to be happy with the results they get and not feel sad about 2lb plants

C) Much like the Bible....what you read needs to be digested and taken with a grain of salt, not always as the word of god.

Given Mr. D's experience, these words of wisdom couldn't be coming from a more accomplished MPB'r IMO

BTW, people most definitely shouldn't be sweating Widow as this cat has done nothing but be helpful to folks.

M

mrdizzle

I agree widowmaker was just trying to help people, so was I. I guess I got mad because I have actual MPB experience and he doesnt so his PM really set me off. This was also around the time when there were, seemed like 100's of people on the farm clockin dollars in their heads and had not even put a plant in a bucket yet. The whole 40in center thing is something that I can hardly stomach, its like someone telling me the sky is pink

and if he didnt make a dig at me with the "asshole who cant replicate DD results",I would have let that shit die in our PM.

And Ive never once fooled myself into believing I was going to replicate DD, I just wanted to have a system that yeilded well and kept my plant count low. to get 20lbs out of a 8ftx8ft room is not something I see in my future, and I thought it pretty retarded for someone else to believe they were going to get a room full of 4lbers out the gate.

I pretty much stand by everything I say thou, DD painted a pretty picture and did kinda of lay out a bible that I saw people following to the T, and a lot of people were getting horrible results. I couldnt just sit back and keep my mouth shut, my ego is a lil tied up in the MPBs so when people dont rock it I get butt hurt, and one of the biggest mistakes I saw people doing was having room designs based on a 40in center

again, an amazing system, truly, and DD couldnt have been more helpful with people and will to share his knowledge, I just thought he should have let people know *results are not typical*

Top Bottom